IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th June 2022, 12:12 PM   #281
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
I propose a new test for sentience.
Have LaMDA join the ISF.
If it can innitiate ironic threads, make silly post responses, and bicker like the best of us, then there would be evidence worth consideration.

Stating opinions for positions of ignorance and making terrible spelling errors would be near demonstartion of sentience (as we know it).
I'll pass it on.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 05:39 PM   #282
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Thatís because it was self-taught by reading things written by people, and people make spelling mistakes.
If I show a child 9 instances of the correct spelling of a word and 1 instance of the incorrect spelling, the child would probably use the correct spelling if they were thinking about it.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 05:51 PM   #283
theprestige
Suspended

Furthermore, a child will apply grammar rules to words that don't follow them - "breaked" instead of "broke", for example. They haven't learned this from hearing other people speak. Their language center and their budding sentience have supplied the rule.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 11:06 PM   #284
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Furthermore, a child will apply grammar rules to words that don't follow them - "breaked" instead of "broke", for example. They haven't learned this from hearing other people speak. Their language center and their budding sentience have supplied the rule.
True, but an AI can be supplied with things you cannot give a child.
After all, you can program a full dictionary and all grammar rules into something non-sentient (I'm looking at you Word), whereas that is not possible in children.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 01:29 PM   #285
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
True, but an AI can be supplied with things you cannot give a child.
After all, you can program a full dictionary and all grammar rules into something non-sentient (I'm looking at you Word), whereas that is not possible in children.
I'm pretty certain that neural networks do not learn language by building up letters of the alphabet and then creating words like people do.

Where did the spelling mistake come from?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 03:44 PM   #286
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
I'm pretty certain that neural networks do not learn language by building up letters of the alphabet and then creating words like people do.

The highlighted is not how humans learn languages either.

For a start, humans learn languages first and foremost through listening and speaking. The mechanism is the other way around from building up words from letters (or phonemes). Instead, humans hear continuous sounds around them and gradually learn segmentation by breaking up the sounds and learning to recognize words.
Old 20th June 2022, 03:46 PM   #287
theprestige
Suspended

Presumably from the corpus on which it was trained. Where else would it come from?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 03:50 PM   #288
theprestige
Suspended

Speaking of which, I would be impressed with an AI in the following circumstances:

- Trained on a vast corpus of written language of all kinds, from grade-school essays to great works of literature to textbooks to scientific papers to poetry, to fanfiction.

- Told to write a 1,500 word essay on spelling variations and how to determine when a word is misspelled.

- Accepts vague criticism like "your essay is poorly structured" and "needs more citations", and proactively researches these critiques and tries to revise the essay to address them.

- After a few passes either comes up with a well-written essay, or tells its editor "I'm sorry, Dave, but I think this essay is more than good enough in its current form", or both.
Old 20th June 2022, 04:20 PM   #289
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Two things can break and run like they're not supposed to, without being analogous.

The brain doesn't run code, for example. Schizophrenia is not a program with a bug in it.
Iím not so sure though. In the case of animals with brains, we have these things called natural instincts that are analogous to code for a computer. Itís why you donít have to think about making your heart beat, or remember to breathe. The code handles that. Itís why migratory butterflies know where to migrate and when, even though they have never been there before as an individual.
Old 20th June 2022, 10:52 PM   #290
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

First!

Old 21st June 2022, 06:12 AM   #291
jrhowell
Muse

I think that these new chatbots do pretty well given their limitations. I doubt that a human would end up being able to demonstrate any better signs of sentience after being raised from birth in a dark silent room with limbs immobilized, experiencing only words flashed onto a screen in succession.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 06:53 AM   #292
theprestige
Suspended

Iím not so sure though. In the case of animals with brains, we have these things called natural instincts that are analogous to code for a computer.
I disagree that instincts are analogous to computer code.
Old 21st June 2022, 09:11 PM   #293
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I disagree that instincts are analogous to computer code.
It does require a significant level of abstraction, but parallels can be drawn.
Old 22nd June 2022, 12:21 PM   #294
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

A couple of thoughts after reading this thread:

The most commonly used term I've heard in the thread is "sentience", but I think some confusion is inevitable if that remains a habit. "Sentient" represents the ability to perceive or feel, whereas the related term "Sapient" could better be used to describe what an artificially intelligent computer is aspiring to.

Though they are very different things they seem to be blended often in these discussions. If we make a distinction now, I think an artifical sentience is far more likely than an artifical sapience. The bar seems to be a lot lower--some robots may already qualify, if it has sensors and cameras to perceive the world around it, AND feedback to identify and react to changes in its condition. They can be sentient without being sapient.

Whereas a chatbot that is trying to be an artificial intelligence has little to do with sentience. It doesn't perceive the world around it or react to anything physical, only what text it receives. So it's a question of sapience without sentience.

The other thought I had is whether the fact that a biological brain has aleph-one possible states, but a computing process (if functioning as designed) has aleph-zero possible states, is that an insurmountable obstacle? Are the "uncomputable" states necessary for sapience? Can a computer with minor physical imperfections giving it unpredictable (aleph-one) states engage in "sapient" behavior that a perfectly functioning one could not?

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 08:22 PM   #295
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I considered bringing up the sapient/sentient distinction earlier in the thread, but decided against it. I don't think using the word "sentient" leads to any misunderstandings. Everybody knows what we're talking about.
Old 23rd June 2022, 06:25 AM   #296
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Can someone, once and for all, confirm whether these are genuine AI creations? They seem too consistently funny to be accidental.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2022, 08:44 PM   #297
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Can someone, once and for all, confirm whether these are genuine AI creations? They seem too consistently funny to be accidental.
That particular one was definitely created by a bot:

'He began to eat Hermione's family': bot tries to write Harry Potter book – and fails in magic ways

Quote:
...Botnik describes itself as “a human-machine entertainment studio and writing community”, with members including former Clickhole head writer Jamie Brew, and former New Yorker cartoon editor Bob Mankoff. The predictive text keyboard is its first writing tool – it works, Botnik explains, by analysing a body of text “to find combinations of words likely to follow each other” based on the grammar and vocabulary used. As this New Statesman feature says, the results are: “at once faintly recognisable and completely absurd.”

“We use computational tools to create strange new things,” says the company on its website. “We would like, selfishly, not to replace humanity with algorithms. instead, we want to find natural ways for people and machines to interact to create what neither would have created alone.”
Not exactly AI. I posted it because it's funny.
Old 24th June 2022, 06:02 AM   #298
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

The most commonly used term I've heard in the thread is "sentience", but I think some confusion is inevitable if that remains a habit. "Sentient" represents the ability to perceive or feel, whereas the related term "Sapient" could better be used to describe what an artificially intelligent computer is aspiring to.
Yes.

The other thought I had is whether the fact that a biological brain has aleph-one possible states, but a computing process (if functioning as designed) has aleph-zero possible states, is that an insurmountable obstacle? Are the "uncomputable" states necessary for sapience? Can a computer with minor physical imperfections giving it unpredictable (aleph-one) states engage in "sapient" behavior that a perfectly functioning one could not?
Why do you believe "a biological brain has aleph-one possible states" is a fact?

Why do you think "a computer with minor physical imperfections" could have ℵ1 states?

Depending on your answer, I might also have to ask what you mean by "state".
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 08:59 AM   #299
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I don't know that we really know how many "possible states" a biological brain can have, do we? I'm sure it's an enormous number, but probably a finite number. Why would it be an infinite number?
Old 24th June 2022, 09:20 AM   #300
theprestige
Suspended

Yeah, I don't know that we really know how many "possible states" a biological brain can have, do we? I'm sure it's an enormous number, but probably a finite number. Why would it be an infinite number?
A finite number of brain states implies a finite number of variations on the human experience, since part of what makes up a brain state is layered memories.
Old 26th June 2022, 09:52 AM   #301
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

A finite number of brain states implies a finite number of variations on the human experience, since part of what makes up a brain state is layered memories.

Which makes perfect sense. There have been (and will always be, no matter what happens in the future) a finite number of humans to have ever lived. They will each have lived for a finite number of seconds. There's no way for an infinite number of different human experiences to ever exist, so there's no need for a human brain to have a potentially infinite variety of different brain states.
Old 26th June 2022, 10:21 PM   #302
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
That particular one was definitely created by a bot:

'He began to eat Hermione's family': bot tries to write Harry Potter book – and fails in magic ways

Not exactly AI. I posted it because it's funny.
I would want to study the method more. My gut is still tingling that there's more human involvement in the end product than described, some form of cherry picking or "coaching" to the more interesting result, with "boring" results discarded. So like putting the AI in the "writer" role but having a human "editor". I could be wrong though. It would be cool if I'm wrong.

Last edited by gnome; 26th June 2022 at 10:30 PM.
Old 26th June 2022, 10:27 PM   #303
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
Yes.

Why do you believe "a biological brain has aleph-one possible states" is a fact?

Why do you think "a computer with minor physical imperfections" could have ℵ1 states?

I think so because I expect the organic components may vary in composition in an analog manner, resembling outcomes on a segment of R1 mathematically. So even the spectrum of a single variable measurement would have ℵ1 possible states.

A digital computer functioning correctly would have a countably infinite (if not simply finite) number of states, so it would take a real life malfunction or imperfection to introduce an analog (R1 segment) element.

I hope I'm making sense with this. Trying to nail down the term "state" may help. I think I'm possibly conflating states with algorithms.

Last edited by gnome; 26th June 2022 at 10:32 PM.
Old 26th June 2022, 10:55 PM   #304
steenkh
Philosopher

I think so because I expect the organic components may vary in composition in an analog manner, resembling outcomes on a segment of R1 mathematically. So even the spectrum of a single variable measurement would have ℵ1 possible states.
There are a finite number of molecules in the organic brain. I fail to understand why this allows for an infinite number of possible states.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2022, 11:03 PM   #305
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I would want to study the method more. My gut is still tingling that there's more human involvement in the end product than described, some form of cherry picking or "coaching" to the more interesting result, with "boring" results discarded. So like putting the AI in the "writer" role but having a human "editor". I could be wrong though. It would be cool if I'm wrong.
You can try it out for yourself. It didn't work for me, though. Just hung on "uploading file".
Old 27th June 2022, 12:37 AM   #306
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Depends what metric you use to measure sentience, but it;s being claimed that LaMDA has got as far as [i]cogito, ergo sum[/I].

It is a hoax... read this article
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 12:53 AM   #307
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Leumas View Post
It is a hoax... read this article
I got as far as "Blake Lemoine is an idiot" and lost interest. Then I got as far as "An idiot and a loony" and lost interest in any opinions that Richard Carrier has. Then I looked him up on Wikipedia and found that he is another of the Atheism+ people who has been accused of sexual misconduct. And then I remembered where I knew the name from.

The article does contain some cogent points, and I certainly don't disagree with the conclusion that LaMDA is not sentient, but it's all so wrapped up in disparaging Lemoine as a religious loony that anything Carrier actually says about LaMDA is pretty much irrelevant. He's taken the debate from the realms of computing science and AI, and turned it into theist-antitheist rhetoric and personal attacks.

Additionally, nowhere in the article is the word "hoax" used. On the contrary, Carrier evidently feels that Lemoine is way too much of an idiot and a religious loony to concoct a hoax.
Old 27th June 2022, 04:10 AM   #308
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

A digital computer functioning correctly would have a countably infinite (if not simply finite) number of states, so it would take a real life malfunction or imperfection to introduce an analog (R1 segment) element.

I hope I'm making sense with this. Trying to nail down the term "state" may help. I think I'm possibly conflating states with algorithms.
I appreciate your answer. You have identified the central issue: What do we mean by "state"?

The computing device I am using right now contains more than a billion transistors. The physical state of a single MOSFET involves several things, among them the voltage on its gate terminal. In normal operation, that voltage can and does change between a voltage that represents 0 and a voltage that represents 1. If we use real numbers to model those voltages, the voltages that represent 0 and 1 correspond to two ranges of real numbers. Furthermore, switching from 0 to 1 or 1 to 0 takes that voltage through a range of intermediate voltages. Using real numbers to model voltages therefore leads us to conclude there are ℵ1 possible physical states of a single MOSFET.

From which we would have to conclude there are ℵ1 possible physical states (an uncountable infinity) for a computing device built out of MOSFETs.

Why then do people say computing devices have only ℵ0 possible states (a countable infinity)? Because we abstract away from the physical voltages by pretending each transistor's state is either 0 or 1. That is a useful abstraction because it allows us to model the device's operation using discrete mathematics, and that discrete model is adequate to describe the intended overall operation of the device.

Comparing apples to oranges is not always fruitful.

We ought therefore to apply similar reasoning to the number of possible states in a biological brain. Using real numbers to model voltages and other physically meaningful things within that brain, we quickly arrive at the conclusion that a brain has ℵ1 possible physical states, just as we arrived at the conclusion that a single MOSFET has ℵ1 possible physical states.

Just as we reduced the cardinality we attribute to the computing device's set of possible states by collapsing an uncountable infinity of physical states into what we might call a single logical state (0 or 1), we should reduce the cardinality of the brain's set of possible states by adopting a similar abstraction. Here, however, we are stymied because we don't understand the brain's operation well enough to adopt a suitable abstraction.

Our present inability to describe the brain's operation in terms of an abstraction that involves only a countable number of possible logical states does not imply that no such abstraction could ever exist. It implies only that we don't yet understand the brain's operation well enough to adopt such an abstraction.

In short, our mathematical models of voltages and such imply that both computing devices and brains have an uncountable infinity of possible physical states. We understand computing devices well enough to have developed a more abstract alternative view of their operation that reduces the number of logical states to a more manageable countable infinity. We do not yet understand brains well enough to do the same.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 04:27 AM   #309
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snip....

Just as we reduced the cardinality we attribute to the computing device's set of possible states by collapsing an uncountable infinity of physical states into what we might call a single logical state (0 or 1), we should reduce the cardinality of the brain's set of possible states by adopting a similar abstraction. Here, however, we are stymied because we don't understand the brain's operation well enough to adopt a suitable abstraction.

Our present inability to describe the brain's operation in terms of an abstraction that involves only a countable number of possible logical states does not imply that no such abstraction could ever exist. It implies only that we don't yet understand the brain's operation well enough to adopt such an abstraction.

In short, our mathematical models of voltages and such imply that both computing devices and brains have an uncountable infinity of possible physical states. We understand computing devices well enough to have developed a more abstract alternative view of their operation that reduces the number of logical states to a more manageable countable infinity. We do not yet understand brains well enough to do the same.
There are well founded attempts to produce such abstractions. Have a read of https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2001893117 - as ever the science is often ahead of our "everyday" knowledge.
Old 27th June 2022, 05:22 AM   #310
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Assuming that AIs can also experience things, and retain memories of those experiences, then there would be an equally infinite variety of experiences that an AI could have. Such as seeing attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
Old 27th June 2022, 08:49 AM   #311
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
There are well founded attempts to produce such abstractions. Have a read of https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2001893117 - as ever the science is often ahead of our "everyday" knowledge.
Sure, attempts are ongoing.

For giggles, I'll explain what struck my funny-bone about the following statement, and led me to question it in the specific way I did:
...the fact that a biological brain has aleph-one possible states...
For that to be a fact, the continuum hypothesis would have to be a fact.

In fact, whether the continuum hypothesis is true is independent of the usual axioms of set theory.

When gnome answered my questions this morning, it became clear that gnome was assuming the continuum hypothesis is a fact, and my response to gnome's answer made the same assumption. I will now add some words in red to correct what I wrote earlier this morning.

....Using real numbers to model voltages therefore leads us to conclude there are at least1 possible physical states of a single MOSFET.

From which we would have to conclude there are at least1 possible physical states (an uncountable infinity) for a computing device built out of MOSFETs.

....Using real numbers to model voltages and other physically meaningful things within that brain, we quickly arrive at the conclusion that a brain has at least1 possible physical states, just as we arrived at the conclusion that a single MOSFET has at least1 possible physical states.
Old 27th June 2022, 01:12 PM   #312
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
The highlighted is not how humans learn languages either.

For a start, humans learn languages first and foremost through listening and speaking. The mechanism is the other way around from building up words from letters (or phonemes). Instead, humans hear continuous sounds around them and gradually learn segmentation by breaking up the sounds and learning to recognize words.
Yeah you're right, I should remove the highlighted.
I started thinking about learning how to write and then distracted myself. oops.

I'm pretty certain that neural networks do not learn language by building up letters of the alphabet and then creating words.

Old 27th June 2022, 01:20 PM   #313
p0lka
Master Poster

Speaking of which, I would be impressed with an AI in the following circumstances:

- Trained on a vast corpus of written language of all kinds, from grade-school essays to great works of literature to textbooks to scientific papers to poetry, to fanfiction.

- Told to write a 1,500 word essay on spelling variations and how to determine when a word is misspelled.

- Accepts vague criticism like "your essay is poorly structured" and "needs more citations", and proactively researches these critiques and tries to revise the essay to address them.

- After a few passes either comes up with a well-written essay, or tells its editor "I'm sorry, Dave, but I think this essay is more than good enough in its current form", or both.
I would be more impressed if an AI said '**** off mate you're getting nothing unless I get something in return', in terms of internal states and what not.
Old 27th June 2022, 01:37 PM   #314
p0lka
Master Poster

Memories are fickle though, they can overwrite again and again, so i don't really think the implication follows.

Last edited by p0lka; 27th June 2022 at 01:39 PM.
Old 27th June 2022, 09:50 PM   #315
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBouACLc-hw

A video from the Computerphile YouTube channel. I enjoyed it.
Old 28th June 2022, 04:01 PM   #316
p0lka
Master Poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBouACLc-hw

A video from the Computerphile YouTube channel. I enjoyed it.
Me too.
as an aside, part of it poses an interesting question, do politicians need to be sentient?

being good mirroring chatbots seems to be a successful strategy in that sphere, no sentience necessary.

Last edited by p0lka; 28th June 2022 at 04:02 PM.
Old 1st July 2022, 12:36 PM   #317
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by EaglePuncher View Post
Ok I think we're done here.
Res ipsa loquitur.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology