IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th June 2016, 06:16 AM   #41
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
On the other hand, it does include one of Heard's friends and witnesses, iO Tillett Wright, making a public statement on Twitter about the incidents . . . so we're still where we began.
I naively assumed that was a typo....
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2016, 06:22 AM   #42
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
If you hadn't mentioned it, I'd have lived the rest of my life happy in the lack of knowledge that someone decided to call themselves or their child Io, and that, whomsover it was, clearly missed the class on capitalisation.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2016, 06:29 AM   #43
AdamSK
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
The correct response to Ms H is "I'd do her" not "I'd marry her."

Just sayin'
Yes, but which one would you kill?
AdamSK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2016, 08:20 AM   #44
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

I quoted it directly from the article:
Heard's friend iO Tillett Wright—who was named as a witness to one of Depp's blow ups in Heard's court documents—defended the actress on Twitter Monday night, sounding off on the constant "victim blaming" being thrown against the blonde.
I hadn't heard of her before reading her statement. Here's her Wikipedia page.

ETA: The spelling and capitalization are correct, although, without digging much deeper, I can't ascertain if it was Wright's parents or Wright's own version.

Now taking bets on the Clinton Indictment!

Last edited by RobRoy; 8th June 2016 at 08:22 AM.
RobRoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2016, 08:42 AM   #45
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

I quoted it directly from the article:
Heard's friend iO Tillett Wright—who was named as a witness to one of Depp's blow ups in Heard's court documents—defended the actress on Twitter Monday night, sounding off on the constant "victim blaming" being thrown against the blonde.
I hadn't heard of her before reading her statement. Here's her Wikipedia page.

ETA: The spelling and capitalization are correct, although, without digging much deeper, I can't ascertain if it was Wright's parents or Wright's own version.
It's more likely a later affection. I wouldn't think it's the sort of thing that's common in Kidderminster.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2016, 09:25 AM   #46
Lerxst
Muse

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Hypothetical people in your world are kinda weird.
They are weird in the real world as well.
Lerxst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2016, 09:55 AM   #47
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

It's more likely a later affection. I wouldn't think it's the sort of thing that's common in Kidderminster.
I could see it going either way, since some of the edgier artists come from parents who were edgier. As we were on the subject, it wasn't a big strain to actually find out which way this went.

It was her parents: "You read it right. Her name is actually iO. Little i, big O. When they registered her name her parents said 'everything in life is made of lines and circles'."

So, there you have it.

RobRoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2016, 10:00 AM   #48
Caper
Philosopher

Making this even harder to form an opinion on is that all involved (Heard, Depp and say Tillett) are complete weirdo's.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2016, 10:43 AM   #49
Joey McGee
Banned

Standhope is a megaweirdo.

Don't do coke kids.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2016, 12:10 PM   #50
Jules Galen
Banned

I got to really admire the way Doug Stanhope ran diversion for Johnny with the column he published entitled, "Johnny Depp Is Being Blackmailed by Amber Heard – Here’s How I Know". If you read the column carefully, you will see that Stanhope makes no defamatory remarks...only the Title of the Article is objectionable (and Doug Stanhope probably didn't choose the title for this opinion piece).

So...even though Amber Heard is suing Stanhope and Friends - or thinks she will - it looks like an airtight case on Stanhope's side. And...this wiley move by a guy like Stanhope does not surprise me. I mean, Stanhope is 49 years-old: he's seen a few things and knows how to conduct himself. Additionally, Stanhope is a long-time successful comedian: and this type have average IQs higher than the average IQs of Doctors, Lawyers and Scientists.

As a result of the column, Stanhope has caused heard to expend additional resources for attorneys (i.e., spend money) that she will not be able to replensh soon. In other words, his diversion is help draining her Bank Account - and once Amber's Bank accounts are drained then Amber's friends and Attorneys will leave her - and then Johnny can easily get the settlement he wants.

Furthermore, if Johnny and Stanhope (and other friends of Johnny, too) really did have a discussion of what was about to happen between himself and Amber (i.e., she was going to make false allegations according to what Stanhope said), then don't bet against Johnny not having that condo wired for video and sound the night that the supposed Domestic Abuse incident occurred - it's an act that any smart man would have recommended to Johnny given the circumstances. Also, Johnny had witnesses on hand, and was smart enough to be away from the scene when the cops arrived (he had obviously been coached and prepared - he knew what to do!).

But...even more telling is Johnny's.....ABSOLUTE SILENCE: which is incredibly smart for it allows Johnny time to scope out what is about to be done and said against him before he must make a counter move. People often confuse Silence with guilt - and they couldn't be more wrong. A smart man remains silent and lets the other side infect the discourse with stupidity and falsehoods until he must make an official on-the-record statement (and this gives the other side no time to prepare a response!). Johnny's Silence is indicative of his discipline and his good legal consul - and it's going to be a major factor in him winning this fight.

it should be interesting.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2016, 12:19 PM   #51
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
it should be interesting.
On the contrary, the more I hear about this case, the less I give a crap about it.
Old 8th June 2016, 12:29 PM   #52
Joey McGee
Banned

Stanhope is 49 years-old: he's seen a few things and knows how to conduct himself. Additionally, Stanhope is a long-time successful comedian: and this type have average IQs higher than the average IQs of Doctors, Lawyers and Scientists.
Standhope's conspiracy theories about bin Laden and the poppy fields and his endorsement of Ron Paul kind of takes the wind out your sails on that one... https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=3IeNYF-OzSc

I love Standhope. But most comedians are cynics of a kind and given to conspiracy theories and stupidity. Bill Burr, Bill Hicks, etc... yeah ok bud.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2016, 01:20 PM   #53
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

But...even more telling is Johnny's.....ABSOLUTE SILENCE: which is incredibly smart for it allows Johnny time to scope out what is about to be done and said against him before he must make a counter move. People often confuse Silence with guilt - and they couldn't be more wrong. A smart man remains silent and lets the other side infect the discourse with stupidity and falsehoods until he must make an official on-the-record statement (and this gives the other side no time to prepare a response!). Johnny's Silence is indicative of his discipline and his good legal consul - and it's going to be a major factor in him winning this fight.
I suspect Olivia Pope is involved.

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
On the contrary, the more I hear about this case, the less I give a crap about it.
This.

Old 8th June 2016, 01:24 PM   #54
Joey McGee
Banned

I love Depp and I think Heard (understandably) has gone a little bit screwy from the stress of having an unpredictable lover who drinks and does coke as much as she does.

Actually, what I just said should be the end of it....

Don't do coke.
Old 8th June 2016, 01:27 PM   #55
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

Originally Posted by Joey McGee View Post
Actually, what I just said should be the end of it....

Don't do coke.
The bubbles . . .

Old 8th June 2016, 01:52 PM   #56
Jules Galen
Banned

I suspect Olivia Pope is involved.
Olivia Pope makes nice fiction, but there are real-life Lawyers who do even more profound things...and they don't do it "Let's get her done in 59 minutes" Hollywood Style like in the movies: the late Lawyer Percy Foreman was just such a guy.

If Johnny Depp has such a lawyer, then he is plenty lucky.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2016, 01:54 PM   #57
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

Olivia Pope makes nice fiction, but there are real-life Lawyers who do even more profound things...and they don't do it "Let's get her done in 59 minutes" Hollywood Style like in the movies: the late Lawyer Percy Foreman was just such a guy.

If Johnny Depp has such a lawyer, then he is plenty lucky.
Well . . . I was going for the joke, but I'm well aware Olivia Pope is partially based on crisis manager Judy Smith.

Old 8th June 2016, 02:23 PM   #58
Lerxst
Muse

So have we determined where Amber sits on the Hot/Crazy Matrix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwbKYcBdVyk
Lerxst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2016, 04:35 PM   #59
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I've hated Depp ever since he got an Oscar nomination for the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie while Russel Crowe was ignored for Master and Commander even though he absolutely nailed the character of Jack Aubrey. Which is not Johnny's fault, but still maybe she could get Clarkson to come over and punch him for me.
Old 8th June 2016, 07:39 PM   #60
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
So have we determined where Amber sits on the Hot/Crazy Matrix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwbKYcBdVyk
Funny, even if it does not mention age. Single women reach peak craziness in their 30s.

"This is your danger zone. This is where you'll find strippers, red-heads, girls named 'Tiffany.'"

Last edited by Cain; 8th June 2016 at 07:41 PM.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2016, 07:49 PM   #61
Joey McGee
Banned

I have had the privilege to know many women who are very hard or resilient or mentally tough or whatever you want to say. When your lover gets crazy, you lose your mind the same as any human, doesn't matter if you are special forces or a nanny for Joel Osteen.

Last edited by Joey McGee; 8th June 2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 8th June 2016, 08:02 PM   #62
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Funny, even if it does not mention age. Single women reach peak craziness in their 30s.

"This is your danger zone. This is where you'll find strippers, red-heads, girls named 'Tiffany.'"
Girls named 'Tiffani' are more so
Old 8th June 2016, 08:20 PM   #63
Joey McGee
Banned

Jokes like that make girls named Candy and Starlett go insane about every 20 seconds stop being ********... ****.

(sad but true both ways)
Old 8th June 2016, 08:32 PM   #64
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

I had never heard of this Amber Heard chick. I looked her up and she looks JUST like Scarlet Johansson. Amazing. Not to mention, hawt as ****.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2016, 08:35 PM   #65
Joey McGee
Banned

I like *****
Old 8th June 2016, 08:48 PM   #66
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
I had never heard of this Amber Heard chick. I looked her up and she looks JUST like Scarlet Johansson. Amazing. Not to mention, hawt as ****.
They all look like that. There must be a Vapid Blondes R Us production line
Old 8th June 2016, 09:55 PM   #67
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

They are weird in the real world as well.
Yes, people are weird in the real world. But you let us know when they actually claim Heard's accusations should be dismissed because she's an atheist, okay?

From where I sit, your prediction is just bizarre. Even in a year in which Trump is a serious (sort of) candidate for president.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2016, 05:56 AM   #68
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

I could see it going either way, since some of the edgier artists come from parents who were edgier. As we were on the subject, it wasn't a big strain to actually find out which way this went.

It was her parents: "You read it right. Her name is actually iO. Little i, big O. When they registered her name her parents said 'everything in life is made of lines and circles'."

So, there you have it.
I used to do work that meant we saw details of virtually all newly-registered births in teh city. No dumb/pretentious parents' name choices surprise me.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 9th June 2016 at 06:00 AM.
Old 9th June 2016, 05:57 AM   #69
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Joey McGee View Post
Standhope is a megaweirdo.

Don't do coke kids.
"I'm Doug Stanhope, and that's why I drink..."
Old 9th June 2016, 07:57 AM   #70
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

I used to do work that meant we saw details of virtually all newly-registered births in teh city. No dumb/pretentious parents' name choices surprise me.
I happen to be a bit biased toward unique names, given my own.

Old 10th June 2016, 09:36 AM   #71
Jules Galen
Banned

Well...it appears that Amber Heard and friends are avoiding a deposition prior to the Domestic restraining Order Trial scheduled for 17 June.

https://www.tmz.com/2016/06/10/amber...osition-trial/

As a result, Depp's Lawyer doesn't think they should be allowed to testify if they are unwilling to sit for the Deposition and has filed court papers to that effect. As a parting shot, the Lawyer says, "[Amber] has tried her claims in the media. It is now time to do so in a court of law."

Also, it appears that the Police Woman who arrested Amber Heard for Domestic Violence against her partner in 2009 was not the Homophobic Cop that Amber's friend contends she was...the cop is a proud Lesbian! Ooops...one more story just fell though for Amber!

https://www.tmz.com/2016/06/09/offic...d-amber-heard/
Old 10th June 2016, 03:11 PM   #72
Lerxst
Muse

Yes, people are weird in the real world. But you let us know when they actually claim Heard's accusations should be dismissed because she's an atheist, okay?

From where I sit, your prediction is just bizarre. Even in a year in which Trump is a serious (sort of) candidate for president.
I seemed to have pushed a button.

It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I didn't mention anything about dismissing her claims, I was attempting to humorously mock those that might claim she is not to be believed simply because she is a bisexual atheist.
Old 10th June 2016, 05:07 PM   #73
Jules Galen
Banned

It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I didn't mention anything about dismissing her claims, I was attempting to humorously mock those that might claim she is not to be believed simply because she is a bisexual atheist.
Hey...it never occurred to me that you didn't mean well.

It's all good.
Old 10th June 2016, 08:19 PM   #74
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I just think it's appropriate to wait and see if any of those people exist before mocking them, that's all.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2016, 08:23 PM   #75
Jules Galen
Banned

I just think it's appropriate to wait and see if any of those people exist before mocking them, that's all.
I think...you might be taking this too personally. I hope not. Probably not.

It's all good.

Peace....Out!

Last edited by Jules Galen; 10th June 2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10th June 2016, 08:32 PM   #76
cullennz
Banned

He does come across as a bit of a prick to be fair
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2016, 08:33 PM   #77
cullennz
Banned

But then so does she
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2016, 10:57 PM   #78
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Also, it appears that the Police Woman who arrested Amber Heard for Domestic Violence against her partner in 2009 was not the Homophobic Cop that Amber's friend contends she was...the cop is a proud Lesbian! Ooops...one more story just fell though for Amber!

https://www.tmz.com/2016/06/09/offic...d-amber-heard/
Being a Lesbian is not evidence that the person is not Homophobic. There have been many people caught doing things they tell other people not to do. Or behaving in ways that you would not expect.
Old 10th June 2016, 11:42 PM   #79
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Being a Lesbian is not evidence that the person is not Homophobic. There have been many people caught doing things they tell other people not to do. Or behaving in ways that you would not expect.
"Proud lesbian" would, I'd say, preclude scenario you mention... (link seems to be sufficient evidence)

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2016, 09:25 AM   #80
Jules Galen
Banned

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Well...she's open about her Lesbianism and proud of her choices and her girlfriend and doesn't hesitate to tell the world. Yet....somehow your mighty logic has led you to conclude that there is a significant chance this woman is homophobic?

I am in awe of your deductive powers.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events