IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th June 2016, 03:11 PM   #121
Jules Galen
Banned

One thing about Johnny that i respect is his choice of Bodyguards.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...977787cd24.jpg

His Bodyguard is a pretty old guy that I bet even Johnny could whip pretty hefty...but being tough is not what makes a great bodyguard. I figure an old guy like this has been "around the block" a couple of dozen times, at least, and knows how to spot trouble from a half-mile away and steer Johnny clear of it: and that is the best kind of self defense.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2016, 03:12 PM   #122
Joey McGee
Banned

Oh, it's possible, "but you said it was impossible" No I didn't "WAHHHHHHH"
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2016, 01:50 AM   #123
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Looks like just more "believe crap" noise. Well, I don't think people will have to wait too long...

BTW: Self-injuries are quite common. There is a reason why just believing is ultimate idiocy. (Justice just gets thrown out...)

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2016, 08:42 AM   #124
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 20th August 2016, 09:10 AM   #125
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

No matter how you feel about the abuse allegations or how that video may or may not substantiate them, one thing is for sure: Johnny Depp comes off like a huge douchebag.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2016, 10:15 AM   #126
Cain
Straussian

You know what would hurt his popularity way, way more? If he jumped up on a couch and said he loved his girlfriend. What kind of an ******* does that?
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2016, 11:14 AM   #127
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
You know what would hurt his popularity way, way more? If he jumped up on a couch and said he loved his girlfriend. What kind of an ******* does that?
A better question is why some people care more about the lives of celebrities more than the people around them, who actually might care about them.
Old 20th August 2016, 11:33 AM   #128
Cleon
King of the Pod People

The woman who was "obviously" in it for the money has donated her entire divorce settlement to the ACLU and Children's Hospital of Los Angeles.
Old 20th August 2016, 12:00 PM   #129
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

I don't think she was in it for the money but she certainly knew what she was getting into when she entered into a relationship with him. He'd already been in several brawls and was known to be a alcoholic and a drug abuser. Whether from an "I can change him, he'll give all that up cuz he loves me" or "well, he's not like that all the time", women can rationalize their emotions and make horrible decisions. Not that I would know anything about doing that

She's lucky she's out and maybe JD can try to repair his relationships with Vanessa and his children.

Basically, if the GOP doesn't want to be called the white supremacy party, they should stop acting like they are.
-Mumbles
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2016, 12:02 PM   #130
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Johnny Depp comes off like a huge douchebag.
Isn't this an evergreen statement regardless of context?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2016, 01:09 PM   #131
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
A better question is why some people care more about the lives of celebrities more than the people around them, who actually might care about them.
Celebrities care about and love their fans. Plus celebrity lives are far more interesting than our own. They're also brave, like when they wear a certain dress to a premiere.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2016, 02:48 PM   #132
Jules Galen
Banned

Too bad there's not a law that protects men's natural rights to hit women - especially when they nag and nag and won't shut up. Seriously, there's a lot of women out there who would be much better people if it were legal for their husbands to smack them in the face every now and then. And there's nothing wrong with that - it's just the natural way of disciplining married women (at least the ones who need to be smacked in the face).

Anyways...I douby Johnny hit Amber, but he should have rightfully been able to do so.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2016, 02:57 PM   #133
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
Too bad there's not a law that protects men's natural rights to hit women - especially when they nag and nag and won't shut up. Seriously, there's a lot of women out there who would be much better people if it were legal for their husbands to smack them in the face every now and then. And there's nothing wrong with that - it's just the natural way of disciplining married women (at least the ones who need to be smacked in the face).

Anyways...I douby Johnny hit Amber, but he should have rightfully been able to do so.
Kinda odd post
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2016, 03:34 PM   #134
Jules Galen
Banned

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Kinda odd post
Yes, it is. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

On a more serious note to guys: Don't ever hit your wife, even if she desrves it. Furthermore, do not tolerate her hitting you. If it happens, then make plans for divorce immediatly and start the process. No need to tell her (or anyone else)...just let it be a surprise. Otherwise, do not be surprised to find yourself eventually sitting in a jail cell when your loving spouse lies to the police about you hitting her.
Old 20th August 2016, 03:41 PM   #135
cullennz
Banned

On a more serious note to guys: Don't ever hit your wife, even if she desrves it. Furthermore, do not tolerate her hitting you. If it happens, then make plans for divorce immediatly and start the process. No need to tell her (or anyone else)...just let it be a surprise. Otherwise, do not be surprised to find yourself eventually sitting in a jail cell when your loving spouse lies to the police about you hitting her.
My wife has punched me once but never hit her.

It's amazing how **** you can make someone feel by just saying nothing and leaving for a couple of hours
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2016, 03:28 PM   #136
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2016, 03:39 PM   #137
Joey McGee
Banned

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
My wife has punched me once but never hit her.

It's amazing how **** you can make someone feel by just saying nothing and leaving for a couple of hours
Sounds like a great way to have some of my stuff set on fire.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2016, 03:45 PM   #138
Joey McGee
Banned

This managed to be even more stupid and ridiculous just in a more subtle way.
Old 23rd August 2016, 06:43 PM   #139
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Joey McGee View Post
Sounds like a great way to have some of my stuff set on fire.
Really? He didn't say anything or fight back, just left for a couple hours. If you come back and find your stuff has been burned, I would say that person has a serious problem and you need to leave the relationship. But that's just me.
Old 23rd August 2016, 08:40 PM   #140
Joey McGee
Banned

That much you could have left unsaid my friend. As I just finished saying to someone who is reading this thread, allow me to quote myself, "Lots of couples have never been in a fight, I take a fight to be pretty much the end of the relationship if it isn't easily patched up in a way that leads one to believe that it won't happen again, fighting all the time like that, I lived that once, never again, I've never seen it end well for anyone I know either... but, you have to give them credit for soldiering on, life is hard."

If you're at the point where you would leave your partner without saying anything, leaving them hanging as we all know, a painful prospect, every system in your body trying to resolve a social problem and being left alone, that's like leaving your dog by himself in the park because he chased a squirrel what the hell? That's abuse, I'm sorry. Keep the channels open and work it out. It was a joke, in other words.
Old 23rd April 2022, 10:38 PM   #141
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry to bump an old thread that I started.

Just happened upon a news item that says that Depp is now suing Heard for defamation for an Op-Ed she wrote about domestic abuse.

Ireland Baldwin slams Amber Heard amid Johnny Depp trial: 'Absolute disaster of a human being'

Quote:
Depp, 58, is suing Heard, 36, for $50 million over an op-ed she wrote for The Washington Post alleging she was the victim of domestic abuse. Heard never identified Depp directly, but attorneys for the "Pirates of the Caribbean" actor say her allegations have negatively impacted Depp's career and relationship with his family.

The pair have accused each other of abuse over the course of the trial for the past 10 days, but cross-examination by Heard's defense team on Thursday revealed eye-popping text messages, photos and video evidence — much of which Heard took herself during their relationship — painting Depp as a violent substance abuser.
Maybe the abuse went both ways. There does seem to be some evidence that she was violent too. Her attorney is named "Rottenborn", which seems like an unfortunate name to me.

I'm not taking sides here, because I have no inside knowledge of course, but it is a spectacle. They were divorced 7 years ago but the fight still goes on. I guess they haven't moved on yet.

Legally, is there any chance he could actually win this lawsuit (seems unlikely to me), or is it primarily just a way to attempt to restore his tarnished reputation?
Old 23rd April 2022, 10:55 PM   #142
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Here's another article about the trial:
Johnny Depp v. Amber Heard: the shocking trial's wildest moments
Quote:
The couple abused each other during their vicious quarrels, a marriage counselor testified in a videotaped deposition.

"With Ms. Heard, he was triggered, and they engaged in what I saw as mutual abuse," said Dr. Laurel Anderson. "I know she led on more than one occasions and started it."

Heard told Anderson that she had hit, socked and thrown a can at [Depp] on various occasions. She said he also hit her.

"It was a point of pride to [Heard] if she felt disrespected to initiate a fight," the Los Angeles doctor said.
Sounds like they're both pretty awful people.
Old 24th April 2022, 12:19 AM   #143
cullennz
Banned

They seem to come across as both being a bit self indulgent privileged prima donnas.

With her winning the the wouldn't want to be around contest a little bit. But not by much.

She is obviously the bigger weirdo though, in the who is the biggest weirdo of the 2 competition.
Old 25th April 2022, 03:58 PM   #144
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
All I know is that Depp faces a pretty hard time trying to prove his innocence, being a man.

Abused men are a thing, though whether anyone believes it or not is another story.

I haven't read much of the trial, but I'll be interested in the outcome, hoping the judge will decide for me.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2022, 04:35 PM   #145
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think this has become a case of mutual assured destruction, both seem determined to drag the other down with them.I am sure their PR people and their agents have advised both to reach some kind of deal no way either can really "win" this case anymore, but the hatred between the two seems real.\
It probably does not matter which one wins legally. they have both done serious perhaps fatal damage to their careers.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 05:48 AM   #146
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think this has become a case of mutual assured destruction, both seem determined to drag the other down with them.I am sure their PR people and their agents have advised both to reach some kind of deal no way either can really "win" this case anymore, but the hatred between the two seems real.\
It probably does not matter which one wins legally. they have both done serious perhaps fatal damage to their careers.
I think the trial is going pretty well for Johnny. Yeah, there are lots of uncomfortable details about his drug use and whatnot. But thatís long been out there. The trial is showing a consistent pattern of Amber being physically abusive herself, frequently lying, and nobody backing up her story of being physically abused. Under the circumstances, thatís a victory for Johnny.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 10:55 AM   #147
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I think the trial is going pretty well for Johnny. Yeah, there are lots of uncomfortable details about his drug use and whatnot. But that’s long been out there. The trial is showing a consistent pattern of Amber being physically abusive herself, frequently lying, and nobody backing up her story of being physically abused. Under the circumstances, that’s a victory for Johnny.
I don't think the trial is going well for Depp.
Both Depp and Heard are coming off very poorly. I might agree that Heard is getting the worst of it so far but at this point we've only heard [NPI] Depp's witnesses and Depp himself. Many of Depp's witness come off as yes-men and enablers of his drug abuse.
Ultimately, the issue in Depp's suit is not whether Heard was more or less abusive than Depp. The issue is did Heard defame Depp in her WaPo op-ed. Heard's lawyers have made a very good case that there is nothing in that article that is defamatory. Finally, the fact that Depp's drug use has 'long been out there' argues against Depp actually sustaining any significant damages as a result of Heard's op-ed.
whoanellie is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 10:58 AM   #148
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by whoanellie View Post
I don't think the trial is going well for Depp.
Both Depp and Heard are coming off very poorly. I might agree that Heard is getting the worst of it so far but at this point we've only heard [NPI] Depp's witnesses and Depp himself. Many of Depp's witness come off as yes-men and enablers of his drug abuse.
Ultimately, the issue in Depp's suit is not whether Heard was more or less abusive than Depp. The issue is did Heard defame Depp in her WaPo op-ed. Heard's lawyers have made a very good case that there is nothing in that article that is defamatory. Finally, the fact that Depp's drug use has 'long been out there' argues against Depp actually sustaining any significant damages as a result of Heard's op-ed.
Actors using drugs is the biggest dog bites man story out there. He didn't lose roles because he did drugs. That never happens in Hollywood.

He lost roles because Amber claimed he physically abused her. If that claim falls apart, then he wins.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 02:07 PM   #149
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

Actors using drugs is the biggest dog bites man story out there. He didn't lose roles because he did drugs. That never happens in Hollywood.
There were articles in the Hollywood press regarding Depp (prior to any abuse allegations) suggesting otherwise. Never is a big word.
He lost roles because Amber claimed he physically abused her. If that claim falls apart, then he wins.
Where are those claims in the washington post article?
whoanellie is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 02:14 PM   #150
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by whoanellie View Post
There were articles in the Hollywood press regarding Depp (prior to any abuse allegations) suggesting otherwise.
Yeah, no. Drug use which leads to behavior problems can sometimes lose actors a role. But drug use on its own? Nope, doesn't happen. As to all that tabloid stuff, that's all it is: tabloid stuff. If that's the best that Heard's team can do, they've got nothing.
Old 26th April 2022, 02:53 PM   #151
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It's not going well for either, frankly.
Clear who you support and, given your politics, no surprise.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 06:11 PM   #152
IsThisTheLife
Muse

My morbid curiosity has been getting the better of me. Paid precisely zero attention to this "story" until last night when I somehow ended up whiling away a few hours watching various depositions and court testimonies ... and it's now crystal clear that Amber Heard is a pathologically malignant and dangerous individual who, for the crimes she's committed, should be in jail or a psychiatric institution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR0Wu4fa7C4&t=1230s
Old 26th April 2022, 06:12 PM   #153
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread that I started.

Just happened upon a news item that says that Depp is now suing Heard for defamation for an Op-Ed she wrote about domestic abuse.

Ireland Baldwin slams Amber Heard amid Johnny Depp trial: 'Absolute disaster of a human being'

Maybe the abuse went both ways. There does seem to be some evidence that she was violent too. Her attorney is named "Rottenborn", which seems like an unfortunate name to me.

I'm not taking sides here, because I have no inside knowledge of course, but it is a spectacle. They were divorced 7 years ago but the fight still goes on. I guess they haven't moved on yet.
The only one I know who was arrested for domestic violence is Amber Heard.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 06:39 PM   #154
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

It sounds like she felt it was okay to drag him through the mud to get what she wanted in their divorce, which is reprehensible.

But, that being said, I'm seeing a lot of misogynistic "Yeah! Look! Women can be abusers too!" rhetoric coming out of this as though this is representative of society in general.

A lot of toxic MRA's are having a field day with this, and it makes me a little queasy.
Old 26th April 2022, 08:03 PM   #155
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

I've seen bits and pieces, and so far it looks like he's winning. But who knows?

But....what's the deal with all their conversations being recorded? Who was recording them? Is this normal for celebrities?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 09:30 PM   #156
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
I've seen bits and pieces, and so far it looks like he's winning. But who knows?

But....what's the deal with all their conversations being recorded? Who was recording them? Is this normal for celebrities?
Some recordings were done by Amber because she was trying to set him up to help her in the divorce proceedings. Some were done by Johnny because she kept lying and he wanted stuff on the record.
Old 27th April 2022, 04:01 AM   #157
IsThisTheLife
Muse

It sounds like she felt it was okay to drag him through the mud to get what she wanted in their divorce, which is reprehensible.

But, that being said, I'm seeing a lot of misogynistic "Yeah! Look! Women can be abusers too!" rhetoric coming out of this as though this is representative of society in general.

A lot of toxic MRA's are having a field day with this, and it makes me a little queasy.
A lot of toxic liberals had a field day with this, and it made me a little queasy.

ETA >> Generally speaking, what's intersting is the light this sheds on the extreme double-standards and moral relatavism that have permeated everything, not least our legal/justice systems.

Last edited by IsThisTheLife; 27th April 2022 at 04:05 AM.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2022, 05:18 AM   #158
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

I will note that the women on my FB feed are not fans of hers.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2022, 05:29 AM   #159
IsThisTheLife
Muse

As I said, I had been paying zero interest, but the "news" coverage and chatter was impossible to avoid. For example, it would have been in 2020 I saw the photo, taken in 2016, of Depp in ER flat on his back on a gurney with a bleeding finger and thought "drama queen", because no details or context were given other than "his finger was cut". Turns out a good cm or so of the middle finger of his dominant hand had been chopped off (including bone), the remaining phalange crushed into three pieces, and he was supine because he'd been dosed to the eyeballs on pain killers. He later contracted an MRSA infection that got to the point of "life threatening". Depp had told the medical personnel at the time that he had trapped the finger in an "accordian door". Nice, Ms. Heard.
Old 27th April 2022, 08:09 PM   #160
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Edited by xjx388:  <SNIP>
Edited for Rule 11; Rule 12

I repeat; both Heard and Depp are total trainwrecks.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by xjx388; 28th April 2022 at 11:44 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events