IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th June 2022, 08:06 AM   #1
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Rep Loudermilk, Insurrectionist

I think this merits a thread, starting with a timeline:

Jan 5, 2021
Loudermilk leads unusual tour, John Doe takes unusual pics
Jan 6, 2021
John Doe marches to Capital building carrying weapon, issuing violent threats

Loudermilk interviewed by local GA radio station:
Originally Posted by Loudermilk
We actually had about a dozen people up here that wanted to come by and visit, we had them in our office, they definitely were peaceful people, people that we met at church. They were supporters of the president, they wanted to be up here as if it was another rally.
Jan 13, 2021
Rep. Mikie Sherrill observed the Loudermilk tour and other unusual tours, and requested an investigation into "suspicious behavior and access given to visitors to the Capitol Complex ... extremely high number of outside groups in the complex."
Link

Feb 17, 2021
Rep. Rodney Davis (R), ranking member of Administration Committee wrote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Davis
We have reviewed the security footage from the Capitol Complex during the relevant period preceding January 6, 2021, and we know it does not support these repeated Democrat accusations about so-called ‘reconnaissance’ tours... there were no tours, no large groups, no one with MAGA hats
May 19, 2022
Jan 6 Committee letter to Loudermilk requesting voluntary cooperation.
Link (pdf)

A constituent family with young children meeting with their Member of Congress in the House Office Buildings is not a suspicious group… The family never entered the Capitol building…no place that the family went on the 5th was breached on the 6th, the family did not enter the Capitol grounds on the 6th, and no one in that family has been investigated or charged in connection to January 6th.
June 13, 2022
What was so awful about this family that caused the committee to make false accusations about them? Well, some were actually wearing baseball caps ... There was nothing unusual or nefarious about this family’s visit to see their congressman.
link

Yesterday afternoon, as I was traveling home to Georgia from Washington, my wife and I found out that I was in the crosshairs of the January 6 committee. Why? Because on January the 5th, I took a family with young children and their guests who were visiting Washington to lunch in a cafeteria in one of the House office buildings.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
June 14, 2022
Capital Police release statement that "nothing suspiscous" occurred. Link (pdf)

June 15, 2022
Jan 6 Committee releases video of tour.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by varwoche; 16th June 2022 at 08:08 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2022, 09:37 AM   #2
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Three possibilities:

1. He is lying.
2. He is incredibly stupid.
3. Both 1 and 2.

I'm going with "3."
Old 16th June 2022, 09:40 AM   #3
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Three possibilities:

1. He is lying.
2. He is incredibly stupid.
3. Both 1 and 2.

I'm going with "3."
No Planet X option?
Old 16th June 2022, 09:42 AM   #4
shemp

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
No Planet X option?
OK:

4. Planet X.

I'm still going with "3."
Old 16th June 2022, 10:02 AM   #5
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

5) He knows he is going to get away with it.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2022, 12:35 PM   #6
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I would like to know if Loudermilk asked for a Pardon.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2022, 12:38 PM   #7
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
No Planet X option?
4. On Planet X his is still a liar.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 07:23 AM   #8
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

According to Loudermilk, when the unnamed* insurrectionist was taking pictures of hallways, security checkpoints and elevators, he was actually photographing light fixtures and artwork by children.

* He's been questioned by the panel, but his name hasn't been released.
Old 17th June 2022, 07:37 AM   #9
Kestrel
Philosopher

Why was he giving tours at a time when tours were explicitly prohibited due to Covid-19?
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 07:52 AM   #10
ahhell
Illuminator

Is there a reason to doubt the capitol police's conclusion on this?
ahhell is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 07:52 AM   #11
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Why was he giving tours at a time when tours were explicitly prohibited due to Covid-19?
So the insurrectionists had inside intel on the Capitol building before the attack.

...or did you mean what his excuse was?
Old 17th June 2022, 07:55 AM   #12
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
If you are talking about the letter from the OP, it appears to be correct, but incomplete. There is also the issue that Loudermilk lied about the tour.
Old 17th June 2022, 07:58 AM   #13
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
If you are talking about the letter from the OP, it appears to be correct, but incomplete. There is also the issue that Loudermilk lied about the tour.
What exactly was the lie? That it was a family with young children but wasnt'? Seriously, I'm unclear on that.
ahhell is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 08:04 AM   #14
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

An innocent explanation for Loudermilk's actions (and non actions) does not exist.

It defies credulity that Loudermilk was an innocent dupe, seeing as he's bat **** crazy MAGA. But let's suppose for a moment that he was an innocent dupe.

His ever-changing story can't be explained. His unwillingness to answer questions can't be explained.
Old 17th June 2022, 08:07 AM   #15
wareyin
Philosopher

What exactly was the lie? That it was a family with young children but wasnt'? Seriously, I'm unclear on that.
It wasn't only a family with young children. Lie by omission.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 08:08 AM   #16
slyjoe
Illuminator

I would like to see who else gave tours. I would guess Gosar, Biggs, Boebert, MTG, Jordan, Gaetz.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 08:11 AM   #17
shemp

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
An innocent explanation for Loudermilk's actions (and non actions) does not exist.

It defies credulity that Loudermilk was an innocent dupe, seeing as he's bat **** crazy MAGA. But let's suppose for a moment that he was an innocent dupe.

His ever-changing story can't be explained. His unwillingness to answer questions can't be explained.
Actually, there is an explanation: He's knows that he could be looking at expulsion from the House and criminal charges, so the lying weasel is desperately trying to come up with a believable story but is failing.
Old 17th June 2022, 08:15 AM   #18
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I didn't say "lie". I said it was incomplete. Yes, the group didn't enter the tunnel, but no mention about them photographing/videoing it, or other areas to familiarize themselves with building and the layout. They stated:
Quote:
There is no evidence that Representative Loudermilk entered the U.S. Capitol with this group on January 5, 2021
Which may be technically true, but wasn't the point.

Then, of course, there is the last line:
Quote:
We train our officers on being alert for people conducting surveillance or reconnaissance, and we do not consider any of the activities we observed as suspicious.
I'm sure they do train their officers and perhaps they believe their conclusion. However, with 20/20 hindsight, we know their conclusion was wrong.
Old 17th June 2022, 08:29 AM   #19
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

There's also some weasel wording around the difference between the capitol building and the capitol complex

For reference, here is a map of the complex in full.

The Senate and House office buildings are connected to the capitol via underground tunnels (indicated by dashed lines). Many of these buildings are discussed in the planning letters that circulated prior to the attack.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 17th June 2022 at 08:31 AM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 09:17 AM   #20
sackett
Philosopher

Everything about the yobs behind Jan 6 cries out, "Naive! Amateurish! Simple-minded! Perfunctory! and other synonyms for "stupid!"

Me, I want to cry out, "More wine! Louder milk!" So I just did.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 11:56 AM   #21
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

At first he denied any tour took place.

As for kids, I only see one in the released videos.

And it hardly looks like a 'family' group.

And as for the Capitol police being trained to spot surveillance, just like they underestimated that a white, pro-Drumpf crowd could possibly turn violent, they could have discounted what the guy with the trashy jeans was doing.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 17th June 2022 at 12:01 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 12:29 PM   #22
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

"Treason Never Prospers.
What's the Reason
Because if it Propers,
None Dare Call It Treason".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 06:15 PM   #23
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Loudermilk wrote a book titled And Then They Prayed: Moments In American History Impacted By Prayer. His bio on Amazon reads in part:
Congressman Barry Loudermilk is a nationally published author, businessman, private pilot, Air Force veteran, inspirational speaker, historian and Constitutional scholar
His background suggests the scholarship comes from Self Proclamation U.
Old 17th June 2022, 06:28 PM   #24
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

(1) John Doe was marching on the Capital the next day, armed, and stating his intentions to kill Pence, Pelosi, and Nadler.
(2) Doe photographed Nadler's office, elevators, hallways, and security checkpoints.
(3) It defies credulity that Doe was an innocent, quirky photographer on the 5th, and an armed insurrectionist on the 6th.
(4) Loudermilk's ever-changing explanations and his refusal to answer questions
(5) The highly unusual circumstances of the tour
Old 17th June 2022, 06:49 PM   #25
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Loudermilk wrote a book titled And Then They Prayed: Moments In American History Impacted By Prayer. His bio on Amazon reads in part:
Congressman Barry Loudermilk is a nationally published author, businessman, private pilot, Air Force veteran, inspirational speaker, historian and Constitutional scholar
Loudermilk has a BS in Science from Wayland Baptist U in Texas. But how does that make him a 'Constitutional scholar"?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 06:56 PM   #26
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Loudermilk has a BS in Science from Wayland Baptist U in Texas. But how does that make him a 'Constitutional scholar"?
Maybe heís a BS constitutional scholar?
Old 17th June 2022, 06:58 PM   #27
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Maybe heís a BS constitutional scholar?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 07:23 PM   #28
shemp

He's as much a constitutional scholar as I am a Baptist preacher.
Old 18th June 2022, 03:39 AM   #29
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

But if you're with a production filming an authorized segment for a nightly broadcast television show...

Colbert staff detained at Capitol after lawmaker interviews, charged with 'unlawful entry'
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2022, 10:54 AM   #30
shemp

Jesus H. ******* Christ, the bastards at Faux Noose will have a field day with this!
Old 18th June 2022, 11:52 AM   #31
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Jesus H. ******* Christ, the bastards at Faux Noose will have a field day with this!
Yeah, I'm sure a film crew who did not violently break into the Capitol, did no damage, did not threaten to hang anyone, and was filming a comedy segment will be compared to the 'patriots' of Jan. 6.
Old 18th June 2022, 12:00 PM   #32
crescent
Illuminator

I suspect that Wayland Baptist does not offer a B.S. in Science, but instead offers a B.S. in "Science".
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2022, 12:16 PM   #33
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Yeah, I'm sure a film crew who did not violently break into the Capitol, did no damage, did not threaten to hang anyone, and was filming a comedy segment will be compared to the 'patriots' of Jan. 6.
And yet they are doing just that.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2022, 12:23 PM   #34
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

They did.

The crew was already in the Capitol but no longer with Schiff and Fox reported it as "a breach of the Capitol"

Colbert wasn't on last night but I can't wait to hear his program when's he next on.

Oh, and Faux News is still treating the Loudermilk incident as him taking a "family" on a normal tour of the Capitol, not one mention of the guy taking pictures of doorways and stairwells then joining in the insurrection event the next day.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 18th June 2022 at 12:29 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2022, 01:53 PM   #35
autumn1971
Illuminator

Because they made one of historyís great blunders!
The first, as everyone knows, is never get involved in a land-war in Asia. The second, only slightly less well-known, is never give credence to a Republican when Democracy is on the line!
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2022, 01:59 PM   #36
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Yeah. Did they know the guy taking pictures showed up the next day at the insurrection?

Has it been sorted out yet which members of the Capitol Police were Drumpf supporters? There was at least the one guy taking selfies with the insurrectionists. And the police chief resigned, IIRC.
Old 18th June 2022, 06:34 PM   #37
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Because they made one of historyís great blunders!
The first, as everyone knows, is never get involved in a land-war in Asia. The second, only slightly less well-known, is never give credence to a Republican when Democracy is on the line!
He he!
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2022, 06:46 PM   #38
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Back in February, Ottawa was essentially held hostage by the ******* Convoy for almost a month. This result was pretty obvious to everyone who paid any attention at all to what the ******* Convoy organizers were saying, publicly, what they planned to do.

Except, according to the Ottawa police, the Ottawa police apparently never saw it coming.

So yeah, I can totally see doubting the capitol police on this.
Old 19th June 2022, 03:38 AM   #39
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
At first he denied any tour took place.

As for kids, I only see one in the released videos.

And it hardly looks like a 'family' group.

And as for the Capitol police being trained to spot surveillance, just like they underestimated that a white, pro-Drumpf crowd could possibly turn violent, they could have discounted what the guy with the trashy jeans was doing.
Trashy jeans and four cell phones.

If they have have a class reunion they are going to need a really big venue - like Connecticut or something.
Old 19th June 2022, 08:05 AM   #40
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I'm sure they do train their officers and perhaps they believe their conclusion. However, with 20/20 hindsight, we know their conclusion was wrong.
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
These points certainly bear repeating.

We didn't see a threat to the Capitol - The people who failed to protect the Capitol.

Last edited by johnny karate; 19th June 2022 at 08:08 AM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics