IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags emmett till , lynching

Old 30th June 2022, 02:49 PM   #1
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Newly Found Arrest Warrant; Emmett Till Case.

Emmett Till’s family calls for justice after finding an unserved arrest warrant in his case

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/30/us/em...discovered/ind

Quote:
The two men were acquitted of Till’s murder soon after by an all-White jury, though they later admitted to the killing in an interview with Look magazine. Milam died in 1980 and Bryant died in 1994, but his widow – now Carolyn Bryant Donham – is still alive, and Emmett Till’s family hopes the warrant will lead to her arrest and, ultimately, justice.

an affidavit attached to the warrant said the three “did willfully, unlawfully and feloniously and without lawful authority, forcibly seize and confine and kidnap” Emmett Till, though it misspelled his last name. A note on the back of the warrant says Donham was not arrested because she could not be located at the time
The Justice department investigated new evidence back in 2018; it was closed in 2021.

I wonder if the police will be unable to locate Carolyn Bryant this year.

No, I don't wonder, they will not.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 03:10 PM   #2
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Emmett Till’s family calls for justice after finding an unserved arrest warrant in his case

The Justice department investigated new evidence back in 2018; it was closed in 2021.

I s'pose they could start here: "100+ "Carolyn Bryant" profiles | LinkedIn".
Old 30th June 2022, 03:15 PM   #3
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post

Bad link.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2022, 03:24 PM   #4
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Why haven't they issued a new warrant in all the intervening years?
Old 30th June 2022, 06:56 PM   #5
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Fixed link to article.

Her current name is apparently Carolyn Bryant Donham and at least according to another article I read she is living in North Carolina. There are quite a few questions as to the validity of a 67-year-old warrant, but given what happened it's nice to see her get a little glare.

Quote:
Arrest warrants can "go stale" due to the passage of time and changing circumstances, and one from 1955 almost certainly would not pass muster before a court, even if a sheriff agreed to serve it, said Ronald J. Rychlak, a law professor at the University of Mississippi.

But combined with any new evidence, the original arrest warrant "absolutely" could be an important stepping stone toward establishing probable cause to initiate a new prosecution, he said.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 05:35 AM   #6
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

If the state charges her with the kidnapping or murder they could just get a new warrant. There is no statute of limitations for either crime. They never needed the warrant; if the state had enough evidence to indict and go to trial, they always had the option of issuing a new warrant and arresting her. The bigger question is if they have enough evidence after all these years to go to trial.
Old 1st July 2022, 11:47 AM   #7
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

^

My question was pretty much rhetorical..

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...72&postcount=4
Old 8th July 2022, 07:10 AM   #8
Max_mang
Muse

"Dozens of people gathered in Raleigh on Wednesday to demand a decades-old arrest warrant be served on Carolyn Bryant Donham. The demonstrators marched inside a senior living facility, which prompted Raleigh police to respond to the scene."

https://www.wral.com/dozens-gather-i...rder/20362984/
Max_mang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 02:52 PM   #9
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Grand jury declines to indict Carolyn Bryant Donham, the woman whose accusations led to the death of Emmett Till

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/09/us/em...eaj/index.html

Quote:
A grand jury in Mississippi has declined to indict the White woman who accused 14-year-old Emmett Till of making advances toward her nearly 70 years ago, allegations that led to the Black teen's brutal death.

A Leflore County grand jury last week heard seven hours of testimony from investigators and witnesses but said there was insufficient evidence to indict Carolyn Bryant Donham on charges of kidnapping and manslaughter, according to a statement from District Attorney Dewayne Richardson.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events