IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th April 2022, 04:14 AM   #401
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

This might help explain the poorly explained Florida school book choices -

Quote:
FL Gov DeSantis administration rejects over 40 Math textbooks, only ONE Publisher allowed for K-5 Math classes in FL.
Publishing Co: the Carlyle Group. It’s CEO for 25 yrs, is VA Republican Governor, Glenn Youngkin, who has 6.7 Million shares invested in that Company
Old 26th April 2022, 05:13 AM   #402
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
How absolutely and entirely ******* predictable.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 05:47 AM   #403
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

I think pushing a regimented private industry is the last bit in the dictionary definition of fascism, isn't it? This is their imago, they're now big boy literal fascists instead of aspiring ones. They grow up so fasc.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 06:30 AM   #404
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
I think pushing a regimented private industry is the last bit in the dictionary definition of fascism, isn't it? This is their imago, they're now big boy literal fascists instead of aspiring ones. They grow up so fasc.
A good point, though I also recall long ago (way too long ago to attribute) someone remarking that the sure sign of fascism is when the function of the police is no longer to protect the people but to protect the state against them. I note that DeSantis also just passed a bill to create a corps of election police. Hmmm.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 06:48 AM   #405
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay this isn't really a big deal, way low down on the scale of bad things the Right is doing that we have to worry about, but someone brought it up online and I cannot stop noticing it.

Is there not one single even halfway competent graphics designer that leans Right in this entire country? Why does every flyer for one of those Right Wing Rallies look like someone set down in a Microsoft Paint with a Clip Art CD-ROM from 1994, started designing it, and then never stopped?

It wouldn't be so weird except that generally the Right, the GOP especially, is generally really good at "production." They can be slick and polished a lot easier than the Left generally can. The GOP is generally just better at throwing themselves a party.

But their graphics design, logos, flyers... all just so bad. I mean (speaking on a purely technical design level) the primary Trump logo and the "Make America Great" logos are at least functional, but there's not really any "design" in either of them.
Old 26th April 2022, 06:54 AM   #406
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Perhaps that is the design? A deliberate statement that anyone who needs a slick presentation should find themselves unwelcome, like grammatical spam errors meant to weed out non-rubes on the political scene? Neo-Brutalism for the internet age.

Can I get a SI SI SI SI SI here?

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 26th April 2022 at 06:56 AM.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 06:58 AM   #407
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Perhaps that is the design? A deliberate statement that anyone who needs a slick presentation should find themselves unwelcome, like grammatical spam errors meant to weed out non-rubes on the political scene, kind of a neo-Brutalism for the internet age.
Maybe, like and this a weird comparison, the thing they remind me of the most is like a flyer for an underground concert you find at a bus stop or something like that. Almost Zine level. Like a 90s Rap CD cover. So there is some degree of "intentionally not mainstream" there.

But their TV and radio production is far slicker. Hell like their conventions are one step below Wrestlemania. But whenever they make a static image; a logo or a flyer or a print ad... it's always not just bad but this weirdly specific bad.

Again no grand theory or real point, just weird to me is all.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 26th April 2022 at 07:01 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 07:53 AM   #408
Armitage72
Philosopher

Perhaps that is the design? A deliberate statement that anyone who needs a slick presentation should find themselves unwelcome, like grammatical spam errors meant to weed out non-rubes on the political scene? Neo-Brutalism for the internet age.

I remember a nomination in one of the old Stundie threads in the Conspiracy Theory forum in which someone claimed that consistently using proper spelling and grammar were an indicator of someone being a shill for "them".
They don't want to seem too "elitist".
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 10:16 AM   #409
carlitos
"más divertido"

Can I get a SI SI SI SI SI here?

This may be a little cynical, but could it be like those bad spam ads or Nigerian prince letters with intentional misspellings and bad formatting to read out the smart people and only appeal to the gullible?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 11:16 AM   #410
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
This may be a little cynical, but could it be like those bad spam ads or Nigerian prince letters with intentional misspellings and bad formatting to read out the smart people and only appeal to the gullible?
Was that intentional?

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 11:25 AM   #411
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Opps he did it again.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rep-...ry?id=84322678

"Madison Cawthorn, a Republican congressman from North Carolina, was caught trying to go through security with a loaded gun at Charlotte Douglas International Airport Tuesday morning, according to multiple sources.

This was the second time the controversial congressman has been stopped trying to bring a weapon through airport security."
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 12:21 PM   #412
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

In reference to the posts prior to Mr Cawthorn’s minor mistake:

I think part of it is that a static image will be passed around and reviewed by more people. Much harder to keep it clean. Productions are more likely to be piloted by one person or a very small creative team. Easier to keep them less cluttered.

This is based on my limited experience with marketing.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 26th April 2022 at 12:23 PM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 12:46 PM   #413
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
In reference to the posts prior to Mr Cawthorn’s minor mistake:
Trying to carry a loaded gun onto to a plane -- for the second time -- is a minor mistake?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 12:47 PM   #414
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Trying to carry a loaded gun onto to a plane -- for the second time -- is a minor mistake?
A bunch of trolling Right wingers are going to be by any second to explain to us just that...
Old 26th April 2022, 12:51 PM   #415
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Look gun owners can't be bothered to keep track of where every one of their guns is. This is not an uncommon occurrence.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 01:36 PM   #416
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

As others have noted, that is how it will be portrayed. “TSA find hundreds of guns a year, no big deal. In a country where I can carry a gun I may sometimes forget where I can’t carry it. It’s not like it was intentional. Move on snowflake.”

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 26th April 2022 at 01:53 PM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 01:48 PM   #417
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Opps he did it again.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rep-...ry?id=84322678

"Madison Cawthorn, a Republican congressman from North Carolina, was caught trying to go through security with a loaded gun at Charlotte Douglas International Airport Tuesday morning, according to multiple sources.

This was the second time the controversial congressman has been stopped trying to bring a weapon through airport security."
The first MIGHT, POSSIBLY, WITHING THE REALM OF PERHAPS been a mistake (but not probably, likely). The second one: stupidity.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 02:42 PM   #418
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The second one: stupidity.
Or arrogance.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 02:43 PM   #419
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
As others have noted, that is how it will be portrayed. “TSA find hundreds of guns a year, no big deal. In a country where I can carry a gun I may sometimes forget where I can’t carry it. It’s not like it was intentional. Move on snowflake.”

Well, it does seem to happen a lot.
Quote:
TSA officers discovered 3,257 firearms in carry-on luggage during airport screenings in 2020. That number represents about 10 guns found for every one million passengers, more than double the rate from 2019.
https://www.travelawaits.com/2561039...the-most-guns/

On the other hand, it involves a tiny percentage of travelers. Maybe the penalty should include some mandatory jail time or a lifetime ban from air travel.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 03:30 PM   #420
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

On the other hand, it involves a tiny percentage of travelers. Maybe the penalty should include some mandatory jail time or a lifetime ban from air travel.
How many of them were loaded and a second offense? Remember Cawthorn also was ticketed twice for driving while suspended. He doesn't seem to learn.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 04:12 PM   #421
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

How many of them were loaded and a second offense? Remember Cawthorn also was ticketed twice for driving while suspended. He doesn't seem to learn.
With his attitude that the rules don't apply to me, he would not have lasted a week at Annapolis.
No wonder he never became a Middie.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 04:14 PM   #422
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Rand Paul pretty much blamed the US for the war in Ukraine today.
It's offical, Rand has become as kooky as his daddy.
The Apple don't fall far from the tree , as the saying goes....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 04:24 PM   #423
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

He's always been worse. At least his dad has principles.
Old 26th April 2022, 04:24 PM   #424
Carlotta
Muse

It seems to happen relatively frequently at the magnificent Richmond International Airport, one of the major ones, dontcha know!
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 06:36 PM   #425
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
With his attitude that the rules don't apply to me, he would not have lasted a week at Annapolis.
No wonder he never became a Middie.
Yeah, too bad his car accident kept him from going.
Old 26th April 2022, 09:30 PM   #426
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Lucky our mods aren’t in charge in the real world. He’d have a two week suspension by now.

Old 26th April 2022, 10:49 PM   #427
Lennart Hyland
Muse

Yeah he is trying to imply that the Biden Administrations warnings of an invasion and their (allegedely) talking about a Ukraine joining Nato somehow drove Russia to invade Ukraine...

Unfortunately the 911truth movement web site does not allow any opinions contrary to their own, or I would have presented my views. David Scott - CTBUH Chairman
Lennart Hyland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2022, 12:53 AM   #428
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

...capable of learning.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2022, 01:00 AM   #429
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
...capable of learning.
Being capable of learning is not the same thing as being willing to learn. Remember, this is the guy who lied about a lot of things as he sold himself. Best friend left him in the accident causing him to lose out on his chance to join a prestigious school, for example, when the school had already rejected him beforehand and his friend did help get him out. Cawthorn is a POS.
Old 27th April 2022, 01:03 AM   #430
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

Maybe (even likely) but some publishers don't help themselves - Bill Maher showed one of the 'problematic' maths questions in one of the banned books on his show the other night and it had a chart question based around attitudes to minorities by political affiliation or something similar. Completely unnecessary.

He did point out that was the worst of just 4 examples that had been given so he did put it into context but why feel the need to bring politics into a maths question. It just gives the Right more ammunition.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2022, 01:12 AM   #431
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

He's still trying to hammer that giant square peg into a tiny round hole.
Old 27th April 2022, 01:18 AM   #432
kevbo
Critical Thinker

... The second one: stupidity.
Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Or arrogance.
I suggest both.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2022, 02:57 AM   #433
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
Maybe (even likely) but some publishers don't help themselves - Bill Maher showed one of the 'problematic' maths questions in one of the banned books on his show the other night and it had a chart question based around attitudes to minorities by political affiliation or something similar. Completely unnecessary.

He did point out that was the worst of just 4 examples that had been given so he did put it into context but why feel the need to bring politics into a maths question. It just gives the Right more ammunition.
Yea common core references are totally wrong in math.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fl...l-race-theory/
Old 27th April 2022, 03:05 AM   #434
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post

I think a major issue is the oft repeated query by thickies..."What use is all this math we are learning today? Where are we ever going to use it?"

Attempting to put math within the context of analysing and making sense of the world around you? Why should the so called "left liberals" (at least what passes for them in the US) constantly tread on egg shells so that they don't hurt thick-headed conservative "feels"? Talk about who is calling who "snowflakes".
Old 27th April 2022, 07:32 AM   #435
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Being capable of learning is not the same thing as being willing to learn. Remember, this is the guy who lied about a lot of things as he sold himself. Best friend left him in the accident causing him to lose out on his chance to join a prestigious school, for example, when the school had already rejected him beforehand and his friend did help get him out. Cawthorn is a POS.
And, of course, he's still in office, right? What's to learn, other than that he's a Republican and can get away with it?

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2022, 11:17 AM   #436
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Well there you go. That needs a louder voice. I wonder if Rachel Maddow will be on that case?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2022, 11:23 AM   #437
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The first MIGHT, POSSIBLY, WITHING THE REALM OF PERHAPS been a mistake (but not probably, likely). The second one: stupidity.
Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Or arrogance.
Or on purpose to get publicity.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2022, 11:26 AM   #438
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Lennart Hyland View Post
Yeah he is trying to imply that the Biden Administrations warnings of an invasion and their (allegedely) talking about a Ukraine joining Nato somehow drove Russia to invade Ukraine...
And when reminded Ukraine was not the only country Russia has invaded recently he shifted to some horrid POV that Russia had a right to invade any of the countries that were previously in the USSR.
Old 27th April 2022, 11:30 AM   #439
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Yea common core references are totally wrong in math.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fl...l-race-theory/
That's weird. They rate the claim as true then go on to say said references are not in the textbooks in question.
Old 27th April 2022, 11:32 AM   #440
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's weird. They rate the claim as true then go on to say said references are not in the textbooks in question.
They're affirming that Florida indeed took this action and announced it was for the given reasons.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics