IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree to get rid of weapons?
Agree 22 32.84%
Disagree 45 67.16%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th May 2022, 09:21 AM   #481
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Why a sane person would make poison if there is no profit to make with it

I asked you a question a few days ago, but you never answered. Iíll repeat it, because it seems relevant after some of your recent posts, the one above in particular.

Have ever actually met any real, flesh and blood human beings?

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2022, 10:03 AM   #482
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Of course you can make profit with it, you can take the resources that others have. You continue to fail to understand that getting rid of money does not and can not get rid of profit. As long as people value things one can always profit through such valuations.

So again, Who's going to stop you? Remember, by your own assertions, there are no controls or oversight in your no money world?

Since everything is free that would include the factory to make said "poison".
In a system of money goods and services exist to make profit not because they are good to people, most products are just poisons.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2022, 10:08 AM   #483
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

In a system of money goods and services exist to make profit not because they are good to people, most products are just poisons.
Again, getting rid of money doesn't get rid of profit. So again, how will weapons and poisons be stopped form being manufactured and marketed?
Old 15th May 2022, 10:08 AM   #484
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That wasn't posted as a joke.
Well, not intentionally.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2022, 10:11 AM   #485
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

In your "system", if I work my garden all summer long and produce enough food to can for the winter, if a dozen people come along and ask me for my produce, do I just give it to them?
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2022, 10:18 AM   #486
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay. That gives people who aren't good people a viable reason to treat others well. What's the issue?

Systems where you DON'T have to just trust in the vague, undefined, and unenforceable "kindness of strangers" are BETTER than systems where you do.
Old 15th May 2022, 10:38 AM   #487
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Money or not, there is always profit. Power, enslavement, personal advantage, pleasure....no money is required. Every rapist and every school bully has figured that out.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2022, 11:23 AM   #488
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Money or not, there is always profit. Power, enslavement, personal advantage, pleasure....no money is required. Every rapist and every school bully has figured that out.
If you have tools like money and fire arms that ease up crimes you just get more victimes. Healty products in groceries are rare, a lot of poison sold for the goal profit that kill people slowly.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2022, 11:38 AM   #489
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Or bread. Or cars. Or houses. Why would a sane person make anything in your no money world when they gain no benefit for doing so?

Serious question.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2022, 11:40 AM   #490
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Healty products in groceries are rare, a lot of poison sold for the goal profit that kill people slowly.
What do you eat, then? Do you grow your own food?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2022, 11:42 AM   #491
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

If you have tools like money and fire arms that ease up crimes you just get more victimes. Healty products in groceries are rare, a lot of poison sold for the goal profit that kill people slowly.
As already asked multiple time by Craig4...

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Why didn't not having weapons help the people the Russians murdered with their hands tied behind their backs?
Did a lack of firearms help those victims?
Old 15th May 2022, 02:06 PM   #492
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Well, not intentionally.
I don't think it's funny at all. It's sad. Towards the end of the thread, Gaetan says that he's on medication to stop seeing things, but he still believes the things he sees are real.

He needs professional help, and an internet forum debate cannot offer that to him.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2022, 03:27 PM   #493
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
What do you eat, then? Do you grow your own food?
I've asked Gaetan what his solution to the "Who will till the soil?"* problem a dozen times across the dozen threads he keeps getting to start that all lead back to the same nonsense. I've never gotten an answer.

https://libquotes.com/aristophanes/quote/lbu9j7i
Old 21st May 2022, 03:16 PM   #494
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Or bread. Or cars. Or houses. Why would a sane person make anything in your no money world when they gain no benefit for doing so?

Serious question.
If i wash dishes there is benifit for me as i eat in clean dishes and others, if others do some work as well there is benifit for them and me somewhere.
Old 21st May 2022, 04:05 PM   #495
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

If i wash dishes there is benifit for me as i eat in clean dishes and others, if others do some work as well there is benifit for them and me somewhere.
Responded to in appropriate thread.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...7#post13813047
Old 22nd May 2022, 05:03 PM   #496
Gaetan
Suspended

Sweden and Finland voted to be in NATO, these politicians must be corrupted by billions of dollars printed by US national bank because it doesn't make any sense, they'll be on the list to be bombed in case of a nuclear war.
Old 22nd May 2022, 05:10 PM   #497
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Sweden and Finland voted to be in NATO, these politicians must be corrupted by billions of dollars printed by US national bank because it doesn't make any sense, they'll be on the list to be bombed in case of a nuclear war.
If there's a nuclear war, they'd still be ****** even if they weren't on Putin's to do list. Pretty much everyone will be ******.
Old 22nd May 2022, 05:53 PM   #498
8enotto
Master Poster

Being in NATO also means other NATO nations will come to your aid should something bad happen.

Like a Russian invasion maybe? It could be a useful alliance in so many other ways too.

Putzin basically forced four nations on his borders to rethink future national security. They can trust him or try their luck with NATO.
It's not a really difficult choice in light of recent events.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2022, 06:01 PM   #499
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

As we've seen and you have confirmed, the only way to prevent Russian aggression is to be part of NATO and have an army capable of defending their citizens from Russia. We've seen proof positive that not being part of NATO and not being armed won't prevent Russia from killing you.
Old 22nd May 2022, 08:32 PM   #500
Lurch
Master Poster

I'm late to this party. Stupid poll is stupid. A hard binary choice on this topic is at the very least impractical because it leaves out the vast middle ground where some nuanced approach can be striven for.

I voted "yes" to be rid of firearms only because my philosophy lies nearer to that end of the restricted spectrum of choice.

In the real world there are valid reasons for people to own firearms. And there are reasonably effective means to greatly reduce gun violence without an outright ban. Other countries do it.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2022, 09:02 PM   #501
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I'm late to this party. Stupid poll is stupid. A hard binary choice on this topic is at the very least impractical because it leaves out the vast middle ground where some nuanced approach can be striven for.

I voted "yes" to be rid of firearms only because my philosophy lies nearer to that end of the restricted spectrum of choice.

In the real world there are valid reasons for people to own firearms. And there are reasonably effective means to greatly reduce gun violence without an outright ban. Other countries do it.
Well, considering the source, one would have to wish awfully hard, maybe on a falling star or something, to expect a smart poll.

bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2022, 08:14 AM   #502
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

If this is actually the case, then you do not have anything to worry about.

Because I expect that anyone who may be seriously involved with the international diplomacy issues of Finland and/or Sweden would quickly determine that none of your the postings that you have made in this thread has any real value to such a person.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2022, 11:44 AM   #503
Lurch
Master Poster

In the event of a major nuclear slugfest, it'll not matter that much if one's country is hit directly or not. Civilization will functionally end, and radiation poisoning will take its toll on the survivors in most places. The southern hemisphere might fare not quite so terribly due to the fewer hits there and the slow rate of atmospheric interchange between hemispheres.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2022, 04:47 PM   #504
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Being in NATO also means other NATO nations will come to your aid should something bad happen.

Like a Russian invasion maybe? It could be a useful alliance in so many other ways too.
The benefit is for NATO not for Finland and Sweden. Why would the russian bother them if they are not a threat, now they are. Do you think they would attack them for fun?

Last edited by Gaetan; 23rd May 2022 at 04:53 PM.
Old 23rd May 2022, 05:59 PM   #505
8enotto
Master Poster

Yes, I do think putzin will attack any neighboring nation for fun. He has already made veiled threats to that effect.

NATO is a community of nations dedicated to mutual defence and assistance in some non military things. It benefits it's members with the strength of the group.

Your town or city is a community with pretty much the exact same goals. Should that be considered dangerous too?
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2022, 06:03 PM   #506
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

The benefit is for NATO not for Finland and Sweden. Why would the russian bother them if they are not a threat, now they are. Do you think they would attack them for fun?
NATO is a defensive alliance. NATO has no interest in threatening Russia.
Old 23rd May 2022, 06:23 PM   #507
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Very few thought Putin was about to attack Ukraine but here we are.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2022, 06:34 PM   #508
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Backwards as usual.

Old 24th May 2022, 01:11 AM   #509
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Yes.
Old 24th May 2022, 01:26 AM   #510
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Not for fun per-se, but Russia has a great deal of history attacking adjacent countries when it suits their geopolitical aims.

Finland and Sweden are much less likely to be attacked if they are NATO members and being NATO members may even make it marginally less likely that they would attack Russia because if there was previously a 0.00000000001% chance of a unilateral unprovoked attack, it's now zero.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 04:01 AM   #511
Crossbow

You are wrong again.

I do not expect that Putin would attack Finland and/or Sweden for fun.

However, I do expect that Putin would attack Finland and Sweden if he thought that he could do so successfully.

Crossbow is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 05:52 PM   #512
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Finland and Sweden are much less likely to be attacked if they are NATO members and being NATO members may even make it marginally less likely that they would attack Russia because if there was previously a 0.00000000001% chance of a unilateral unprovoked attack, it's now zero.
The opposite is true, they'll be the first attaked in case of a nuclear war because they are closer to Russian and so a maximum threat.
Old 24th May 2022, 05:55 PM   #513
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
You are wrong again.
However, I do expect that Putin would attack Finland and Sweden
And for what reason?
Old 24th May 2022, 07:08 PM   #514
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The opposite is true, they'll be the first attaked in case of a nuclear war because they are closer to Russian and so a maximum threat.
This assumes a lot. Why would Russia launch a nuclear attack? Three NATO nations have a survivable counter strike capability.
Old 24th May 2022, 07:10 PM   #515
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

In a nuclear war, the first to be attacked will be enemy nuclear powers, because they are the ones that will retaliate. Specifically, the US, UK, and France.

You'd better hope it doesn't come to that.
Old 24th May 2022, 07:16 PM   #516
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I don't think it's funny at all. It's sad. Towards the end of the thread, Gaetan says that he's on medication to stop seeing things, but he still believes the things he sees are real.

He needs professional help, and an internet forum debate cannot offer that to him.
Thanks for the heads up.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2022, 04:33 AM   #517
Crossbow

And for what reason?
If you actually bothered to read my entire posting, then you would have your answer.

Old 25th May 2022, 05:37 AM   #518
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

In the case of nuclear war, being nuked first is better than being nuked last. It's like when Cthulhu wakes - better to be devoured first.
Old 25th May 2022, 06:39 AM   #519
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Nope.

As has been pointed out upthread by arthwollipot, they won't be the first attacked in the event of a nuclear war.

Given the size and preparedness of their forces and the logistical challenges involved then it's also unlikely that they would be first to be attacked in the event of a conventional war - that dubious privilege would likely go to the Baltic states.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2022, 08:23 AM   #520
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
You are wrong again.

I do not expect that Putin would attack Finland and/or Sweden for fun.

However, I do expect that Putin would attack Finland and Sweden if he thought that he could do so successfully.
If the Russian would like to attack successfully others countries they could do it with 90% of countries in the world but they don't do so because they are not a threat for them.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events