IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree to get rid of weapons?
Agree 22 32.84%
Disagree 45 67.16%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th June 2022, 01:17 PM   #561
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Mundial treatys at UN are respected by states and enforced by their own governments in each countries.
Do you want Russia to take over all of Europe?
Old 5th June 2022, 01:49 PM   #562
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Mundial treatys at UN are respected by states and enforced by their own governments in each countries.
So you are simply, evidently deliberately and once again going to ignore the potential need of arms in the enforcement of arms regulations?

Clearly, cheaters and violators (as nation states) aren't having it "enforced by their own governments in each countries". So even leaving out what you did deliberately ignore, your reply is still directly invalidated by what you did quote.
Old 5th June 2022, 01:51 PM   #563
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Do you want Russia to take over all of Europe?
For what purpose?
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2022, 04:28 PM   #564
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

For what purpose?
Have you not read anything Putin as written or said?
Old 5th June 2022, 06:57 PM   #565
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
What is it with the very obvious language affectation?
We have a couple of people on the board who do this; perfect Lord Buckley BBC King's English when making a speech about their pet theory, but then the spelling and formatting go out the window and it's all "You no take candle" affect ridden alien Engrish run through Google translate and back when they are responding to questions or criticism.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 5th June 2022 at 07:10 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2022, 05:44 PM   #566
Gaetan
Suspended

Have you not read anything Putin as written or said?
I don't listen what the medias say, i listen what they don't say.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2022, 02:14 AM   #567
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

You don't say!
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2022, 02:26 AM   #568
llwyd
Graduate Poster

I think people should have the right to own guns but that this right should also be quite strictly regulated. Hand guns, hunting guns, various sports guns are fine - any others should largely be banned. Age restrictions, background checks, safe storage and rather strictly regulated permits, also obligatory shooting courses that you prove yourself capable of handling a gun responsibly. Pretty much how things are in Finland at the moment, and we have plenty of guns per capita, mostly hunting guns.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2022, 04:19 AM   #569
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

If this is actually the case,

then I am sure that you and the "medias" have some very long and very interesting conversations.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2022, 05:48 AM   #570
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

You can't know what they don't say unless you have listened to everything they have ever said. So your first claim directly refutes your second. As what you may think they haven't said may have been said somewhere at sometime.

Further the question wasn't about what the media says but about what Putin has written or said. So in order to know what Putin has written or said that the media hasn't reported you would again have to have listened to everything the media has said as well as know everything Putin has written or said. Again, the former already directly refuted by you and the latter clearly impossible.

So the question still stands "Have you not read anything Putin as written or said?". Again the question concerns Putin and not "the medias".

If you just wish to simply assert that you just make up whatever crap you want regardless of what anyone anywhere has actually said or written you could just say that. As it has been demonstrably obvious for years.

Last edited by The Man; 7th June 2022 at 05:49 AM. Reason: typo
The Man is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2022, 06:01 AM   #571
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
I think people should have the right to own guns but that this right should also be quite strictly regulated. Hand guns, hunting guns, various sports guns are fine - any others should largely be banned. Age restrictions, background checks, safe storage and rather strictly regulated permits, also obligatory shooting courses that you prove yourself capable of handling a gun responsibly. Pretty much how things are in Finland at the moment, and we have plenty of guns per capita, mostly hunting guns.
Exactly, while regulating weapons or even more stricter regulation of weapons, was not an option in Gaetan's poll. Getting rid of weapons' would still be regulating them. That such regulation would require enforcement, itself potentially requiring weapons to accomplish, still seems to elude him.
Old 7th June 2022, 03:34 PM   #572
trustbutverify
Philosopher

You transpose Kremlin propaganda into mock broken English, then post it here... is what you do.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2022, 04:01 PM   #573
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
If there are guns for good people it means they are a lot for bad people, more stupid comments?
Old 7th June 2022, 04:36 PM   #574
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

More stupid comments?
No thanks. We've seen enough.

Again, it's not that people are arguing that weapons are good. People are arguing that your "solution" is simple-minded and impossible. It's like saying, "they should just arrest all the criminals". It's not really a solution because there's no way to make it actually happen.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2022, 06:49 PM   #575
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
No thanks. We've seen enough.

Again, it's not that people are arguing that weapons are good. People are arguing that your "solution" is simple-minded and impossible. It's like saying, "they should just arrest all the criminals". It's not really a solution because there's no way to make it actually happen.
The goal of a gun is to kill people, you can't produce such poison.
Old 7th June 2022, 09:17 PM   #576
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

Guns don't have goals.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2022, 11:47 PM   #577
8enotto
Master Poster

If there are guns for good people it means they are a lot for bad people, more stupid comments?
Just one more from me.
If guns didn't exist we would still have clubs and pointy sticks.

We all know there are more than enough of those for absolutely everyone. I even have one with a steel tip on it. The deluxe model!
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2022, 12:01 AM   #578
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

We await your next post.
Old 8th June 2022, 12:03 AM   #579
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

You don't pay attention to what Putin says or does because you're a liar and a coward. You know that if you read anything he's written about Ukraine you'd have to face the fact that you support genocide. I can't think of too many things that are more cowardly.
Old 8th June 2022, 12:42 AM   #580
Dutchman
Scholar

If there are no more guns for good people, there will still be guns for bad people. They will find a way. They are bad people, after all.
Dutchman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2022, 02:58 AM   #581
llwyd
Graduate Poster

If human nature remains constant and a society would be completely disarmed (actually a totally impossible thing to happen within these constraints), that society would be shortly rearmed in an appalling frenzy of violence, bloodshed and terror.

Last edited by llwyd; 8th June 2022 at 03:00 AM.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2022, 04:06 PM   #582
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...ae9270e7e62148

Another terrific trade. Ukraine got rid of some of their ammunition and a Russian general left Ukraine. Gaetan is right. Ukraine should draw down it's stores of ammunition while Russia draws down it's soldiers and material.
Old 8th June 2022, 05:15 PM   #583
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
If there are no more guns for good people, there will still be guns for bad people. They will find a way. They are bad people, after all.
Like what?
Old 8th June 2022, 05:21 PM   #584
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Like what?
Like Putin. If Ukraine didn't have guns, it would be completely occupied by now. And we know that not having guns didn't protect Ukrainians. You admitted that.
Old 9th June 2022, 07:54 AM   #585
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

We never know what creasy people have in their mind, if they have arms it makes it easy to kill people.
Speaking of creasy people, though, one might do well to stand in front of a mirror and count how many folds of principle are required to defend Putin.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2022, 08:09 AM   #586
erwinl
Illuminator

Like what?
Machetes for instance.
An example youíve ignored before and most likely will again.
Old 9th June 2022, 05:16 PM   #587
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Machetes for instance.
An example youíve ignored before and most likely will again.
It is easier to kill a person and more with a machine gun than a knife.
Old 9th June 2022, 05:38 PM   #588
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, a lot of unarmed Ukrainians figured that out right before they died at the hands of Russian invaders.
Old 9th June 2022, 06:10 PM   #589
Gaetan
Suspended

Like Putin. If Ukraine didn't have guns, it would be completely occupied by now. And we know that not having guns didn't protect Ukrainians. You admitted that.
What does Russian is self-defense, US would do the samething.

Last edited by Gaetan; 9th June 2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 9th June 2022, 06:19 PM   #590
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Faster, probably easier, not necessarily more. If you have the machete and the other people do not, you can kill them all, even if the batches are smaller. A machete is a knife, but it is aa very big knife indeed. This is something the mau mau and the Rwandan assassins figured out, along with the millions of other killers who did their dirty work before the invention of machine guns, which is among the many simple concepts that have eluded you.

It is trivially true that guns kill people from a distance, and make such things easier, just as it is trivially true that weapons of mass destruction make mass destruction easier. And it is a truth shared by many that the world would be better off without such things. It is not true that evil and murder will somehow fade away in their absence, as history so abundantly demonstrates.

And, of course, it is also obviously and demonstrably true that as long as the Russians have arms, those who have fewer, or none at all, will be their victims, another truth to which you appear oblivious.

bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2022, 09:59 PM   #591
erwinl
Illuminator

Half a million Tutsis dead in three months time, does not sound difficult to me.

Admit. You didnít read the link, did you?
Old 10th June 2022, 12:37 AM   #592
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

You support genocide. How is genocide self defense?

Last edited by Craig4; 10th June 2022 at 12:39 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2022, 04:37 AM   #593
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

What does Russian is self-defense
Maybe Britain should invade Ireland in self defence. Maybe France should invade Tunisia in self defence. Maybe Portugal should invade Brazil. Maybe Spain should invade the Philippines. Maybe the US should invade the Philippines.

There's a difference between "we used to rule that land so we're seizing it back again" and "self defence". Countries who have been on the receiving end of that behaviour seem more sensitive about it for some reason.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2022, 04:40 AM   #594
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

You support genocide. How is genocide self defense?
It is if you are a true believer in the great replacement theory or similar nonsense and lies. And without explicitly pointing fingers or anything, it is probably also true if one is...ummm....be still o typing fingers...now behave...let us just say as Click and Clack used to, "unencumbered by the thought process."

Old 10th June 2022, 06:10 AM   #595
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

You are wrong again.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2022, 02:17 PM   #596
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

This person was found murdered in Bucha with the Russian gangsters fled. Satellite images establish that the body was there when the Russians still controlled the town.

What were the Russians who tied this person's hands and shot him/her in the back of the head defending themselves against?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bucha.jpg (10.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 10th June 2022, 05:47 PM   #597
Gaetan
Suspended

This person was found murdered in Bucha with the Russian gangsters fled. Satellite images establish that the body was there when the Russians still controlled the town.

What were the Russians who tied this person's hands and shot him/her in the back of the head defending themselves against?
It is because of the corruption of your leaders that this appened, you shouldn't vote for Biden, The son of Castro, Johnson, Macron and Zelinski. These hypocrites don't deserve a vote. The son of Castro wants to stop the sale of firearm but he is one of the top of arm seller in the world, he even give them for free.
Old 10th June 2022, 08:32 PM   #598
trustbutverify
Philosopher

You just can't get anything right, can you?

On a lighter note, could you maybe cut out the fake broken English... it's getting really annoying.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2022, 09:47 PM   #599
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It is because of the corruption of your leaders that this appened, you shouldn't vote for Biden, The son of Castro, Johnson, Macron and Zelinski. These hypocrites don't deserve a vote. The son of Castro wants to stop the sale of firearm but he is one of the top of arm seller in the world, he even give them for free.
No, it's because Russia is engaging in genocide in Ukraine and they murdered the two people in that picture. None of those people tied the hands of the person in the foreground of the picture. Russian soldiers did. Then Russians soldiers shot them in the back of the head. No one in the West forced them to murder those people. You support Genocide. You don't get to make moral judgments.

It's good Canada gives weapons to Ukraine. It's important that Ukraine continue to kill Russian soldiers. The only good Russian soldier is a dead Russian soldier.
Old 10th June 2022, 09:49 PM   #600
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
You just can't get anything right, can you?

On a lighter note, could you maybe cut out the fake broken English... it's getting really annoying.
That would require integrity. Being as he supports genocide, expecting honesty from him is probably optimistic. Once someone is this morally untethered, it's all over.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events