IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree to get rid of weapons?
Agree 22 32.84%
Disagree 45 67.16%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st March 2022, 02:26 PM   #41
mgidm86
Philosopher

I voted "on Planet X Weapons Are Currency"
Old 21st March 2022, 02:28 PM   #42
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Jesus told his followers to sell their clothes and buy a sword.

Gospel of Luke 22:36-38
Old 21st March 2022, 03:09 PM   #43
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And what constitutes a weapon?
A butchers knife could be a deadly weapon in the right hands.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 03:43 PM   #44
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

I said that to look like a criminal to comply with Isaiah 53.12
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 04:09 PM   #45
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
"I"??

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 04:21 PM   #46
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War

Oh great, that's what we need, millions of naked Christians running around with swords!
Old 21st March 2022, 05:14 PM   #47
junkshop
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by wollery View Post
"I"??
Gaetan, have you levelled up? Are you Jesus now?

Does this mean we have to worship you now?

What happens if we don't?

Maybe it was a typo. Let's hope it was a typo.
Old 21st March 2022, 06:42 PM   #48
Venom
Philosopher

Without weapons, the strong simply overpower the meek with sheer numbers or natural strength.

I need to be able to make someone twice my size hesitate about trying anything.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 06:48 PM   #49
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I see that you like to live dangerously.
It's not a matter of liking, but of reality. Sure, weapons of mass destruction were not around back in the stone age, but people still killed each other, individually and genocidally. There is abundant evidence that people invented weapons, money, free markets and police, along with many other things. The suggestion that these obvious things would not be reinvented seems....well....not very brilliant.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 06:55 PM   #50
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I propose that all countries get rid of weapons including those that we buy in stores, agree or disagree? What interest to invade a country which is not armed, one can have their resources by the trade. If the Ukrainians were not posing a threat to Russia with arms, they would not have been invaded. Let's start here in Canada by getting rid of all our guns. We will end up destroying ourselves if this continues, we are in 2022 we can get everything by trade, no need to want to steal from others as was the case in the past. Weapons no longer have a purpose and never have had a purpose.
Pure nonsense. Stop babbling Putin's propaganda.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 08:32 PM   #51
Gaetan
Suspended

Just think about the ressources saved if we get rid of weapons, almost no one will die except of old age, the money saved that could be used to feed poor, soldiers could do a more appropriate duty. Off course the WRA and the weapon industries won't agree.

Last edited by Gaetan; 21st March 2022 at 08:35 PM.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 08:46 PM   #52
Venom
Philosopher

Just think about the ressources saved if we get rid of weapons, almost no one will die except of old age, the money saved that could be used to feed poor, soldiers could do a more appropriate duty. Off course the WRA and the weapon industries won't agree.
Hell, regular people won't agree. There is no shortage of conflict among humans. There are no shortage of humans who simply want to kill those they consider undesirable (see recent threads in this subforum for some examples) and we need weapons to protect ourselves from them.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 08:55 PM   #53
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Hell, regular people won't agree. There is no shortage of conflict among humans. There are no shortage of humans who simply want to kill those they consider undesirable (see recent threads in this subforum for some examples) and we need weapons to protect ourselves from them.
Guns doesn't stop some one to kill you, he'll shoot you before you get a chance to grab your gun, more guns more people are killed, country like US where there are guns all over the place more people are killed compared to countries where guns are controled or prohibited.

Last edited by Gaetan; 21st March 2022 at 08:59 PM.
Old 21st March 2022, 09:17 PM   #54
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

What about hunting?
I need my vials of mutated anthrax... for duck hunting.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 09:46 PM   #55
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

So surprise, Gaetan is for world peace. A noble idea no doubt, but unfortunately none of us can wave our arms (or waive them for that matter) and make it happen.

I am assuming, of course, that in the customary manner, the language of the proposition is sloppy and loose, and that the proposal is not going to make the entire world an airplane where you must peel your potatoes with a plastic knife and pry open bags with your teeth. After all, as we are all too aware, a box cutter is a weapon in some hands too.

Of course it's not going to happen, so we're left with the usual "wouldn't it be nice if" statement.

When you get back down from the Big Rock Candy Mountain, give us a weather report.

bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2022, 03:37 AM   #56
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Stupid thread. Not unexpected.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2022, 04:14 AM   #57
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
*Wanders into the ballroom, and admires a particularly hefty candlestick*
Is copper pipe as good as lead pipe?

Just asking for a friend who has some spare copper piping, but lacks the lead for the murdering.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2022, 04:17 AM   #58
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

Actually, come to think of it our drugs shelf could get pretty lethal: a load of digoxin there; pretty sure large doses of the other cardiac meds would do a damage; the anti-coagulant definitely could; too much diuretic wouldn't be nice; and that's before we get to the hefty opiods that CFQ still has left from a while back...

That and I'm sure I could clobber someone with an empty bottle of a rather nice north Rhone syrah...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2022, 04:43 AM   #59
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

As usual, Gaetan fails to grasp that the problem is not the means to do selfish things, it's the humans who do those things.

"Wouldn't it be great if we got rid of X?" is a pointless dream because what it actually means is "wouldn't it be great if the entire human race could agree to permanently give up X?". The entire human race is not capable of that. It's not how humans work.

Gaetan wishes we were machines, not animals.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2022, 04:55 AM   #60
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Pacifism would be great if only everyone were a pacifist.

It only takes a very few people who are not pacifists to ruin it for the rest of us.

Maybe in some great future we will finally evolve into a species that really can put down our weapons for good. That day has not arrived.

The idea that Russia felt they needed to invade Ukraine because Ukraine possessed weapons is extreme naivete. A better explanation is that Russia invaded Ukraine because they thought that Ukraine didn't have enough weapons to defend itself. The exact opposite logic. Countries don't generally start wars unless they believe that they can win the war. It sometimes proves to be a mistaken belief, but they expect a better than 50% chance of success, else they would likely not roll the dice.
Old 22nd March 2022, 05:40 AM   #61
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Guns doesn't stop some one to kill you, he'll shoot you before you get a chance to grab your gun, more guns more people are killed, country like US where there are guns all over the place more people are killed compared to countries where guns are controled or prohibited.
I suggest that you clarify just what it is that you are trying to discuss.

Are you trying to talk about "guns"?

Or are you trying to talk about "weapons"?

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2022, 05:44 AM   #62
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
Gaetan, have you levelled up? Are you Jesus now?

Does this mean we have to worship you now?

What happens if we don't?

Maybe it was a typo. Let's hope it was a typo.
No it's just part of his act. His grasp of English will get worse and worse the more he is argued into a corner.
Old 22nd March 2022, 06:21 AM   #63
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Medical conditions, some related to old age, others not and accidents are the leading causes of death in the US.

Leading Causes of Death

Weapons and related intentional injuries don't even make the top 10. Stop just making crap up.
Old 22nd March 2022, 06:26 AM   #64
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Is copper pipe as good as lead pipe?

Just asking for a friend who has some spare copper piping, but lacks the lead for the murdering.
Only in the conservatory, lead pipe is quieter for use in the library.
Old 22nd March 2022, 06:34 AM   #65
mumblethrax
Species traitor

(soporific chord progression in C major)

Imagine there's no weapons
Agree or disagree
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2022, 06:35 AM   #66
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Again, even in the US more people die from other causes than guns. Get some facts and not just fantasy.

Firearm deaths

Now that isn't to say that gun control is either bad or ineffective, but just again to say, stop just making crap up.

Oh, and if "he'll shoot you before you get a chance to grab your gun" then his gun did in fact stop you from killing him. Even your crap doesn't agree with your crap.

Last edited by The Man; 22nd March 2022 at 06:44 AM. Reason: typo
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2022, 06:43 AM   #67
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Will mace be banned as well?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2022, 06:45 AM   #68
Gaetan
Suspended

More guns in a society more people will die because guns makes it easy to kill.
Old 22nd March 2022, 06:55 AM   #69
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

More stupid in society means more people will die because of bad ideas.

And I'm going be honest if a genie appeared in front of my right now and offered me two choices, get rid of all guns or get rid of all stupid people... well I don't think my answer would win me the Ms. America Crown if you catch my drift.
Old 22nd March 2022, 06:57 AM   #70
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Again even in a society with "More guns" (like the US) more people still die from other causes. Even just deaths from intentional injuries (guns and other weapons or just bare handed killing of others) didn't even make the top 10 causes.

Again, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to rectify these lesser causes of death, but, again, simply that you should stop just making crap up.

Sure guns make it easier to kill, even someone trying to kill you with a knife (or swimming pool). They also deter, a weapon doesn't have to be directly used to be useful.
Old 22nd March 2022, 08:06 AM   #71
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Well it for sure makes the killing more gruesome.

I'm sure this has been pointed out, but many weapons are used defensively. Take them away, and the sociopaths who value your life and comfort not a whit propose the interesting intellectual thought experiment of who is more likely to bludgeon the other to death with a piece of pipe to take their ham sandwich.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2022, 08:49 AM   #72
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Will mace be banned as well?
Don't stop there. The weapons police will be coming by to measure the blade length of your kitchen knives.

But I hope they leave us the cricket bats. I'm a little nervous about the zombies.

Old 22nd March 2022, 08:55 AM   #73
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Only in the conservatory, lead pipe is quieter for use in the library.
Bugger! I...Errr, my friend doesn't have either a library or a conservatory...

Back to kitchen knives and hammers it is...
Old 22nd March 2022, 09:16 AM   #74
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

That reminds me: the UK version of the game is Cluedo, while I gather the US version is Clue, but the thing that always bugged me is the name of one of the weapons. The "revolver" is always pictured as an automatic. Surely that can't be the same in a country where people tend to know one end of a pistol from the other?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2022, 09:33 AM   #75
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
That reminds me: the UK version of the game is Cluedo, while I gather the US version is Clue, but the thing that always bugged me is the name of one of the weapons. The "revolver" is always pictured as an automatic. Surely that can't be the same in a country where people tend to know one end of a pistol from the other?
While I couldn't recall myself, evidently it was, at least until '72.

The Revolver
Old 22nd March 2022, 09:42 AM   #76
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Well, ...

If all guns are taken away,

Then I supposed that people will start using other weapons to kill people.

Therefore, it is a good thing that I have a large stockpile of 'Holy Handgernades of Antioch'.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2022, 11:05 AM   #77
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Haven't we already had this question answered?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 22nd March 2022, 11:22 AM   #78
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Well, ...

If all guns are taken away,

Then I supposed that people will start using other weapons to kill people.

Therefore, it is a good thing that I have a large stockpile of 'Holy Handgernades of Antioch'.
Poison. More people would resort to poison.
Old 22nd March 2022, 11:23 AM   #79
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

We should get rid of all weapons so we focus on the finer things in life, like how to kill a man by shoving his nose up into his brain.
Old 22nd March 2022, 11:40 AM   #80
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Depends on what you have around....

in the hall with the wrench.jpg

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events