IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags putin , russia , Russia-Ukraine war , ukraine , Zelensky

Old 3rd July 2022, 02:20 PM   #1401
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
It's no secret that a small pain now will become a much larger pain later if Putin gains from his invasion of Ukraine. The real question is, when will the West begin to adequately equip Ukraine? However, there's some indication that the West is no longer publicizing its shipments in such a detailed manner, because discretion is the smarter way to go.
West was never publicizing the shipments in detailed manner.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 02:37 PM   #1402
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
First go is working.
Yeah, in a Maxwell Smart, "I meant to do that!" kind of way.
Old 3rd July 2022, 02:42 PM   #1403
Allen773
Graduate Poster

First go is working.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 03:16 PM   #1404
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Now the action movie makers have a new "bad guy" country to use as the antagonist.
Have you ever seen an 80s movie?
Old 3rd July 2022, 03:24 PM   #1405
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Message of the President of LPR Leonid Pasechnik on the occasion of the liberation of the Republic:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
TFW.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 04:08 PM   #1406
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

First go is working.
About a dozen generals are explaining why that's not the case to their ancestors.
Old 3rd July 2022, 05:20 PM   #1407
sackett
Philosopher

Putler's blockade worries just about everybody. Breaking it by force would be easy for any western fleet, but would almost certainly start a new war, potentially nuclear, given Vlad's desperate situation. I've read an opinion that a diplomatic solution to the looming food crisis would be best -- and I can't see it happening until the Russians are convincingly beaten on the ground, in the inshore waters, and in the air. "Convincingly" means beaten back and beaten hollow, until Vladdie-boy is obled to ▶️ nice and pretend that he's averting a worldwide humanitarian crisis oh my goodness what a wonderfully humane leader he is let's give him a prize.

Unless, perhaps, the western powers can achieve a non-military but also non-diplomatic solution: an ENGINEERING solution that combines various means of transport to move Ukrainian grain out of the region and into the holds of world shipping. Can such a thing be done? Is innovation on that scale and in time possible?

Dunno if the world wonders, but I sure do.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 05:21 PM   #1408
Stout
Illuminator

It's no secret that a small pain now will become a much larger pain later if Putin gains from his invasion of Ukraine. The real question is, when will the West begin to adequately equip Ukraine? However, there's some indication that the West is no longer publicizing its shipments in such a detailed manner, because discretion is the smarter way to go.
It would take a rather cynical view of these back-to-back media stories about how poorly equipped and ill trained the Russian invasion force is to believe that Russia could be a threat to the EU (in a non nuclear, conventional sense) for the remainder of Putin's natural life.

It's the very near future that's going to show us just how impactful this "small pain" is going to be and it appears to be a pain that the EU has been trying to avoid by feeding the Russian war machine while beaking off about their sanctions.

No doubt it's spies that'll let Russia know about incoming western weapons shipments, the wheres and the whens so publicizing them is probably not a bad move when held up against the propaganda gains they give. Last time I looked we, the west were celebrating the delivery of 8 HIMARS units out of the 300 that UAF asked for.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 05:27 PM   #1409
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

First go is working.
If you call destroying your objective working. When does the rebuilding start?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 08:24 PM   #1410
Allen773
Graduate Poster

The Russians have been greeted as liberators, just as promised.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 09:06 PM   #1411
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Unless, perhaps, the western powers can achieve a non-military but also non-diplomatic solution: an ENGINEERING solution that combines various means of transport to move Ukrainian grain out of the region and into the holds of world shipping. Can such a thing be done? Is innovation on that scale and in time possible?

Dunno if the world wonders, but I sure do.
For what it's worth, at last check, there's been notable investment in Romania's railways and ports lately. It'll take a bit of time to actually do the work, though. That's fairly certainly not the only relevant infrastructure investment, as well.

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Last time I looked we, the west were celebrating the delivery of 8 HIMARS units out of the 300 that UAF asked for.
More specifically, the 300 was apparently a request by an advisor to Zelensiy's chief of staff, along with about 500 tanks and about as much artillery as the whole US army + marines has. Ukraine's actual official requests have apparently been dramatically lower. Perhaps 60-100 HIMARS range, more likely, with 60 happening to have been the request of another advisor very shortly before the 300 request that's been publicized so much. Their actual tank requests have been more than satisfied last I heard, as well. Back to HIMARS, though. More HIMARS would be good, of course, but as has been poked at repeatedly, the ammo is the far, far greater logistical issue than the actual number of HIMARS are.

Last edited by Aridas; 3rd July 2022 at 09:13 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 09:16 PM   #1412
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
By a very small minority, yes. By most, it doesn't look like it.
Old 3rd July 2022, 09:20 PM   #1413
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

There is no way to "defeat Putin militarily". "Western" military-industrial complex is just to weak,
Bwahahahaha!

Russian fighter pilots are flying with consumer GPS receivers duct taped to their cockpits, and it’s the west that is weak? You have no conception of what military strength actually is.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 10:45 PM   #1414
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
you mean by the few who haven't been used as cannon fodder?

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 11:26 PM   #1415
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
you mean by the few who haven't been used as cannon fodder?
Oh, I'm sure they're amazingly happy to be forced to die for their freedom.
Old 4th July 2022, 12:01 AM   #1416
Childlike Empress
Suspended

It has already started. Each oblast of the Russian Federation has taken on a partnership with a city in Donbass and coordinate the rebuild. Of course you won't hear that in the propaganda rags you consume.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 12:21 AM   #1417
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I doubt Russia is in any shape to have a second go at anything.
Give it a decade or so of supplying oil and gas to China and India and the "unaligned" world and the coffers will be full again.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 12:26 AM   #1418
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Why should they rebuild ?

Whilst the original Russian objective may have been to quickly topple the Ukrainian government and install a puppet, their Plan B (or Plan C or whatever) appears to be to cause as much damage to Ukraine as possible and as a result stop - or at least significantly delay - Ukraine's development into a modern, western-facing democracy.

Leaving large parts of Ukraine a smoking ruin, regardless of whose hands they are in, helps to achieve that objective.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 12:59 AM   #1419
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It has already started. Each oblast of the Russian Federation has taken on a partnership with a city in Donbass and coordinate the rebuild. Of course you won't hear that in the propaganda rags you consume.
Yippee!
Another excellent opportunity for corruption and personal enrichment!
Long Live the Kleptocracy!

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 01:55 AM   #1420
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://samf.substack.com/p/can-ukraine-win

Discussion about whether Ukraine can win.

And what victory is... Which is more than just denying Russia victory

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 02:06 AM   #1421
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Why should they rebuild ?

Whilst the original Russian objective may have been to quickly topple the Ukrainian government and install a puppet, their Plan B (or Plan C or whatever) appears to be to cause as much damage to Ukraine as possible and as a result stop - or at least significantly delay - Ukraine's development into a modern, western-facing democracy.

Leaving large parts of Ukraine a smoking ruin, regardless of whose hands they are in, helps to achieve that objective.
The Russians are leaving the bits they are claiming are now part of Russia or independent in smoking ruins.
If they think they can hold on to it why would they be doing that?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 02:19 AM   #1422
Childlike Empress
Suspended

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
The Russians are leaving the bits they are claiming are now part of Russia or independent in smoking ruins.

They are doing the opposite of what you read in your dull propaganda rags. The "slowness" of their advance is because they want to avoid collateral damage like the Yankistanis caused with no second thought to Bagdad, Falluja, Mossul etc, their brute force modus of operandi.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 02:48 AM   #1423
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Meanwhile:

Another titbit: Something that's not sustainable or likely to get good performance

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...essment-july-3

Quote:
The Kremlin likely seeks to expand Russian state control over private Russian companies that support elements of Russia’s military industrial base. The Ukrainian Military Intelligence Directorate (GUR) reported on July 3 that the Russian government’s inability to pay Russian firms supporting Russia’s war in Ukraine is degrading Russia’s ability to repair damaged vehicles. The GUR reported that the directors of Russian military vehicle repair centers are not accepting new Russian equipment for repair because the Russian military has not paid these centers for previous work.[7] Recently proposed Russian legislation suggests that Kremlin leadership shares GUR’s assessment. Russian legislators in the Russian State Duma submitted a bill on June 30 that would empower the Kremlin to introduce “special measures in the economic sphere” enabling the Russian government to force private Russian companies to provide supplies for Russian military operations.[8] The bill prohibits Russian businesses from refusing to fulfil Russian government procurement orders connected to Russian military operations.
ETA: and increasing Ukrainian partisan activity - remember, this is what a lot of experts thought this would be the biggest threat to Russian control and what would eventually force them out.

Quote:
Ukrainian partisans reportedly derailed a Russian armored train carrying ammunition near Melitopol on July 2.[33] Kremlin-sponsored outlet RIA Novosti acknowledged that the train derailed around Yakymivka, but claimed that the incident was an accident.[34] Ukrainian partisans previously targeted Russian armored trains and locomotives in Melitopol in late April and mid-May.[35]

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK

Last edited by jimbob; 4th July 2022 at 02:52 AM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 03:03 AM   #1424
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Because the Russian leadership don't give a single solitary **** about the state of their country, just their own personal wellbeing.

I'm sure they'd like to hold onto the territory they've invaded if they don't manage to, making it nigh on impossible for Ukraine to do anything with it is an acceptable second prize.
Old 4th July 2022, 03:08 AM   #1425
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Meanwhile:

Another titbit: Something that's not sustainable or likely to get good performance

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...essment-july-3

ETA: and increasing Ukrainian partisan activity - remember, this is what a lot of experts thought this would be the biggest threat to Russian control and what would eventually force them out.
Trains are easy to derail, just loosen a few track ties or rail end joiners, all you need is a spanner.

For best effect do it on an embankment or in a cutting where it's hard to get anything alongside to put the derailed cars back on the track.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 03:18 AM   #1426
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Trains are easy to derail, just loosen a few track ties or rail end joiners, all you need is a spanner.

For best effect do it on an embankment or in a cutting where it's hard to get anything alongside to put the derailed cars back on the track.
Yes, and hard to tell from accidentd given Russian maintenance.

This is showing Russian MOD video, so propaganda

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1...fMB_GGeTRL8vxw

Which tells me that they have been thinking attacks on trains has been a problem for some time.

I also question why they think that's a good thing to highlight that they feel the need to use armed trains with helicopter escorts. But hey.

ETA. From the link in the tweet

Quote:
Action of Volga special train created by Western MD railway troops professionals for engineering reconnaissance and track restoration in special military operation area

▫️The train is equipped with armoured surface, the platforms carry armament, equipment and firepower, as well as shelters for firing and repelling enemy's attacks.

@mod_russia_en

Last edited by jimbob; 4th July 2022 at 03:20 AM.
Old 4th July 2022, 03:26 AM   #1427
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.economist.com/europe/202...heir-own-lines

You can't read the whole article but there's a good summary before you hit the pay wall. The Ukrainians are engaging in partisan attacks against the occupiers. Maybe we should include some credit card guns, .25 cal pistols, silencers and other assassination weapons in our next shipment.
Old 4th July 2022, 03:30 AM   #1428
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

A good article about German responses to the war.

Quote:
Timothy Snyder eviscerates Jürgen Habermas: https://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/...-18131718.html
Quoting "woodchopper" over on scrutable.science as he was the source.
And a good followup thread by Benjamin Tallis

Old 4th July 2022, 03:39 AM   #1429
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, and hard to tell from accidentd given Russian maintenance.

This is showing Russian MOD video, so propaganda

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1...fMB_GGeTRL8vxw

Which tells me that they have been thinking attacks on trains has been a problem for some time.

I also question why they think that's a good thing to highlight that they feel the need to use armed trains with helicopter escorts. But hey.

ETA. From the link in the tweet
The problems with armoured trains is the enemy know exactly where they are going and the route they have to take, They derail just as easily as any other train and then they are sitting docks for an attack.
Old 4th July 2022, 03:42 AM   #1430
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
https://www.economist.com/europe/202...heir-own-lines

You can't read the whole article but there's a good summary before you hit the pay wall. The Ukrainians are engaging in partisan attacks against the occupiers. Maybe we should include some credit card guns, .25 cal pistols, silencers and other assassination weapons in our next shipment.
The British in WW2 had the 'Welrod' and the 'Sleeve Gun'
Maybe they should be put back in to production
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I AGREE
Old 4th July 2022, 03:44 AM   #1431
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

You have just witnessed the liberation of the LPR from western-occupied Ukraine...
Funny how closely liberation resembles occupation by foreign invaders. How many Western armies are occupying the rest of Ukraine anyway?

I suppose the Russians imagine it would have looked less terrible if their original plan to topple the Kyiv government and install a puppet regime hadn't been an utter failure and total humiliation. If it had worked then the puppets could have invited the Russians in (when they were already there) just like Afghanistan all over again.

Now I find myself wondering who in the Kremlin first said "What we really need right now is another Afghanistan".
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 04:45 AM   #1432
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I AGREE

I AGREE
Great idea. Any occupier you shoot in the back of the head is one you don't have to kill at the FLOT and can't kill you.
Old 4th July 2022, 04:51 AM   #1433
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Funny how closely liberation resembles occupation by foreign invaders. How many Western armies are occupying the rest of Ukraine anyway?

I suppose the Russians imagine it would have looked less terrible if their original plan to topple the Kyiv government and install a puppet regime hadn't been an utter failure and total humiliation. If it had worked then the puppets could have invited the Russians in (when they were already there) just like Afghanistan all over again.

Now I find myself wondering who in the Kremlin first said "What we really need right now is another Afghanistan".
It seems as though someone in the Kremlin asked, "How could we have another Afghanistan but make it worse?".
Old 4th July 2022, 05:00 AM   #1434
eerok
Quixoticist

First go is working.
We're only awaiting the "gesture of goodwill" when Russia flees Ukraine entirely.
Old 4th July 2022, 05:01 AM   #1435
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Great idea. Any occupier you shoot in the back of the head is one you don't have to kill at the FLOT and can't kill you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Oversteegen

Old 4th July 2022, 05:12 AM   #1436
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

How is it I've never heard of this person? I consider myself reasonably well read on the history of WWII and I've never come across her. When it's safe, the world should ensure that Ukraine's heroes like her aren't forgotten. I suspect there are a lot of them. I wonder how many Russian "desertions" are really horny occupiers who thought they were going to get laid and instead got their throats slit.
Old 4th July 2022, 06:23 AM   #1437
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

The problems with armoured trains is the enemy know exactly where they are going and the route they have to take, They derail just as easily as any other train and then they are sitting docks for an attack.
Naval background showing through.

But indeed. I wonder if it was more for internal morale purposes. As long as you don't think about their obvious weaknesses, they look quite impressive.

Old 4th July 2022, 07:37 AM   #1438
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

They are doing the opposite of what you read in your dull propaganda rags. The "slowness" of their advance is because they want to avoid collateral damage like the Yankistanis caused with no second thought to Bagdad, Falluja, Mossul etc, their brute force modus of operandi.
Truly, no one does scrupulous, meticulous warfare special operation like the Russians.
Old 4th July 2022, 07:40 AM   #1439
sackett
Philosopher

I AGREE

I AGREE
Those were for use against an efficient enemy. Ukrainian partisans can buy all the small arms they want from any Russian quartermaster. Or from ordinary Ivan Gruntski, come to that.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2022, 05:25 PM   #1440
eerok
Quixoticist

Ukraine will cede the pocket around Severodonetsk and draw a defensive line from Bakhmut to Siversk that Russia will not cross, largely because they're depleted but also they can't stretch their supply lines that far. This will protect the tactically valuable Slovyansk and Kramatorsk, and allow Ukraine protection to bomb deep into Russian-held territory.

Russia wants to call Luhansk a victory and stop for now anyway. This appears to be the end of a phase in Donbas.
This appears to be accurate so far, according to today's analysis from ISW.

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...essment-july-4

I hope the next phase consists of Ukraine bombing the crap out of Russian positions from a safe distance.

Last edited by eerok; 4th July 2022 at 05:27 PM.
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics