IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th July 2022, 06:40 AM   #1961
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
An unknown number of people have been killed and wounded by a man with a rifle at Field's shopping center in Copenhagen

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62030919

Yes, three killed, four more in a critical condition. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62030919
But no longer reason to fear for their lives: https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/seneste/al...-uden-livsfare
The shooter is well-known by the psychiatric system: https://politiken.dk/indland/art8866...-i-psykiatrien
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 08:33 AM   #1962
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I'm starting to think less and less about gun control and more about the whole culture of violence with a good fifth to sixth of the country stuck on 1776 mode and a majority still supporting the death penalty.
It seems to be supported by a mythology of violence as well. Especially among conservatives, there's a mythos about "how the West was won" that romanticizes the strong, masculine, steely-eyed "good guy with a gun" trope that so many Americans who support open carry imagine themselves to be. Never mind that the popular conception of westward expansion is utter ********, fabricated largely by Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. The vast majority of towns in the western territories would not allow people to walk around armed.

I know that many other countries have their share of violent fiction, but it seems to me that it's regarded as fantasy fiction more than history.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 08:42 AM   #1963
ZiprHead
Muse

https://imgur.com/gallery/8twxn2I

He was/is a MAGAt.

IIDB is back, baby!

Last edited by ZiprHead; 5th July 2022 at 08:43 AM.
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 10:04 AM   #1964
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Really? Nothing at all?!
I think the focus here was on "clear".
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 10:35 AM   #1965
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post

Every time I see that face, I see Guy Fawkes.
Old 5th July 2022, 10:58 AM   #1966
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
Guy Fawkes cosplaying Waldo.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 11:03 AM   #1967
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Guy Fawkes cosplaying Waldo.
So glad it wasn't just me that saw that.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 11:25 AM   #1968
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

According to the news, police have indicated that the suspect wore women's clothing and a wig as a disguise during the event. The wig possibly resulted in initial descriptions of a subject with "long black hair". After the shooting, he discarded the rifle and possibly the disguise(?), blending in with the crowd fleeing the scene. From there he walked to his mother's house which was close by and "borrowed" her car. Police used the word "borrowed" but did not elaborate. My impression from the language used was that he did not live at his mother's house.

Police have said they have found reason to believe the attack had been "planned for weeks". The rifle used in the shooting was legally purchased and owned. Police found a second rifle in the car when he was arrested.

Last edited by Checkmite; 5th July 2022 at 11:26 AM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 12:01 PM   #1969
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Shooting at the police isn't going to save democracy, really.
Hence the need for IED's.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 12:53 PM   #1970
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I'm starting to think less and less about gun control and more about the whole culture of violence with a good fifth to sixth of the country stuck on 1776 mode and a majority still supporting the death penalty.

As for rampage type shootings, as mentioned a lot here already, rampage killings big picture have been on the rise the last few decades possibly as social contagion. The mass media of recent times has made it easier to embolden this kind of killer. And within the phenomenon there are examples of white-identity extremist elements that we may start to see more of as well.
Gun violence is just one, rather destructive, manifestation of the predominantly violent society that is prevalent in the USA. Not hatred, dudalb, but definitely pity.
Old 5th July 2022, 02:02 PM   #1971
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Screams incel as well.
Old 5th July 2022, 02:32 PM   #1972
ZiprHead
Muse

According to the news, police have indicated that the suspect wore women's clothing and a wig as a disguise during the event. The wig possibly resulted in initial descriptions of a subject with "long black hair". After the shooting, he discarded the rifle and possibly the disguise(?), blending in with the crowd fleeing the scene. From there he walked to his mother's house which was close by and "borrowed" her car. Police used the word "borrowed" but did not elaborate. My impression from the language used was that he did not live at his mother's house.

Police have said they have found reason to believe the attack had been "planned for weeks". The rifle used in the shooting was legally purchased and owned. Police found a second rifle in the car when he was arrested.
He lived with his uncle.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 03:17 PM   #1973
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Now 7 are dead from this shooting.
Old 5th July 2022, 03:38 PM   #1974
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

He left his gun at the scene that he had bought. Why bother with all the disguise stuff and supposed weeks of planning and then practically leave your name at the scene?

******* idiot.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 04:02 PM   #1975
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
He left his gun at the scene that he had bought. Why bother with all the disguise stuff and supposed weeks of planning and then practically leave your name at the scene?

******* idiot.
It's almost like people doing this are not entirely mentally OK, right ?
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 04:04 PM   #1976
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Screams incel as well.
The correlation is strong enough for an assumption.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 04:16 PM   #1977
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
True, but a proper sociopath can run basic logistics.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 04:26 PM   #1978
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Credit where credit is due, he managed to escape the scene with a ruse. That's not luck, it's planning. Regardless of one's effort or skill, I think capture (or death) is an inevitability for these types of very public crimes.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 04:41 PM   #1979
Checkmite

Failure to account for something isn't a sign of mental deficiency. He may have positively believed the gun was untraceable, which might mean he was simply mistaken rather than somehow mentally compromised.

There's also the possibility that he originally planned to take the rifle with him and was forced to make a decision on the spot to leave it for some reason, needing to prioritize escaping the scene over not leaving any evidence behind.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 04:43 PM   #1980
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm expecting the TrumperTuckers to claim he was insane because he was a transvestite. (He used a female clothing disguise and wig to escape the rooftop and blend in with the running crowd.)
Old 5th July 2022, 05:30 PM   #1981
Venom
Philosopher

Screams incel as well.
I almost think this is more relevant than his alt-right sympathies.

This profile was very popular among rampagers before rampage shootings became politicized. Probably not surprising that these losers hang out online.

Last edited by Venom; 5th July 2022 at 05:31 PM.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 06:20 PM   #1982
ZiprHead
Muse

Seven charges of first degree murder. I expect more charges to come.

IIDB is back, baby!
Old 5th July 2022, 06:32 PM   #1983
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Seven charges of first degree murder. I expect more charges to come.
They did say that more charges were imminent. But I don't know how you can get more than the mandatory Life In Prison unless they had that other option.
Old 5th July 2022, 06:49 PM   #1984
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The rifle used in the shooting was legally purchased and owned.
This is the most important fact in this story.

His political sympathies and motives are secondary. I don't care if he was a leftist or a rightist, or a nihilist or a notoriety-seeker. There will always be angry men with a grudge against society and a desire to commit mass murder. If they want to commit mass murder, and can legally purchase deadly firearms, there is very little that can be done to prevent that.
Old 5th July 2022, 10:46 PM   #1985
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I'm expecting the TrumperTuckers to claim he was insane because he was a transvestite. (He used a female clothing disguise and wig to escape the rooftop and blend in with the running crowd.)
Greendouche might give that one a spin.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 10:50 PM   #1986
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I see reports he had domestic violence "links" but nothing specific that I can see.

But again he shouldn't have had a gun

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 10:58 PM   #1987
dann
Penultimate Amazing

According to the news, police have indicated that the suspect wore women's clothing and a wig as a disguise during the event.

Did he remember to shave?
He could have avoided having to do so if he had donned niqāb instead, and Tucker Carlson and his ilk could then have claimed that he was a Muslim transvestite.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2022, 11:19 PM   #1988
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

If this guy was a transvestite, then every kid at Halloween is a superhero.
Old 6th July 2022, 08:02 AM   #1989
eerok
Quixoticist

I suspect that Crimo has no specific political allegiances. The pix of him that seek to prove that he's a Trump follower and the pix of him that seek to prove that he's Antifa all reek of cosplay. Perhaps he loved the drama and simmering violence of any and all extreme political positions.

The two things I think are responsible for his attack are untreated mental illness and the availability of guns.
Old 6th July 2022, 08:12 AM   #1990
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
alex jones did exactly that, and claimed it proves that he is part of the NWO.

- Emo Philips

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 6th July 2022 at 08:15 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 09:47 AM   #1991
Checkmite

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I suspect that Crimo has no specific political allegiances. The pix of him that seek to prove that he's a Trump follower and the pix of him that seek to prove that he's Antifa all reek of cosplay. Perhaps he loved the drama and simmering violence of any and all extreme political positions.
A possibility often overlooked or ignored.
Old 6th July 2022, 02:03 PM   #1992
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Gun violence is just one, rather destructive, manifestation of the predominantly violent society that is prevalent in the USA. Not hatred, dudalb, but definitely pity.
Sorry but I have noted hate and contempt for the US seems to be eteranl on the Canadian Left.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 02:04 PM   #1993
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post

The two things I think are responsible for his attack are untreated mental illness and the availability of guns.
Yeah, Crimo appears to be a non political homicidal Maniac.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 02:19 PM   #1994
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I see reports he had domestic violence "links" but nothing specific that I can see.

But again he shouldn't have had a gun
I heard on the news today that, among other things, his father had signed off on a gun purchase before he became of age, and that the police had been called to his home at least once when he threatened to kill himself and, and, it seems, everyone else. No links at the moment, but I suspect more will turn up.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 05:40 PM   #1995
Checkmite

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I heard on the news today that, among other things, his father had signed off on a gun purchase before he became of age, and that the police had been called to his home at least once when he threatened to kill himself and, and, it seems, everyone else.
I saw similar televised reports, including the detail that his father sponsored him for the gun license only two months after the incident in which he threatened to kill the family. Police reportedly removed several knives and other bladed weapons from his room when responding to that incident, but the family ultimately never pressed for charges, so none were filed and the incident did not appear in any of his background checks during the gun application process.

It may be that we're dealing with an Ethan Crumbley type scenario in which the shooter's family contends there were "no warning signs" because they apparently do not believe in warning signs.
Old 6th July 2022, 06:56 PM   #1996
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

This country is mired butt deep in a gun culture. The adulation of guns and the moronic belief that gun ownership is somehow "freedom" is just sick. Until that ends, the mass shootings and tens of thousands of gun-related deaths will continue. But I have little hope of that. People are stupid.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 07:18 PM   #1997
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Screams incel as well.

Conspiracy types are taking a different tack of course. One comment to the blog post linked below, whose creator tries to argue the shooter was apolitical, states that the rose tatoos are "...a common antifa tattoo ..."

Another claims that "...the FBI activated another drone...", or to put it simply the shooter is yet another product of 'MK-Ultra/Treadstone' mass shooter factory.

The rest of the commentary is not much better.

https://up-ship.com/blog/?p=49886

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 10:08 PM   #1998
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

But my first impression was "Emo Philips".
Old 6th July 2022, 11:16 PM   #1999
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
This country is mired butt deep in a gun culture. The adulation of guns and the moronic belief that gun ownership is somehow "freedom" is just sick. Until that ends, the mass shootings and tens of thousands of gun-related deaths will continue. But I have little hope of that. People are stupid.
Hollywood doesn't help. They glorify the gun.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 11:45 PM   #2000
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

From https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...b2116568.html:
Quote:
Robert Crimo, the 21-year-old man charged with killing seven in the July 4 mass shooting in Highland Park, threatened to “kill everyone” in his home with a “collection of knives” three years before he allegedly went on his shooting rampage.

Officials revealed in a press conference on Tuesday afternoon that law enforcement were called to his home for two incidents involving the suspect in 2019 – but he was still able to legally purchase five firearms.

On the second time – in September 2019 – police were called to a report from a family member that Mr Crimo had vowed to “kill” the people inside the home and that he had a trove of knives.

Officers responded to the scene and found Mr Crimo had 16 knives, a dagger and a sword.

The knives were confiscated but officers did not arrest the suspect because no complaint was made by the alleged victims.

Lethally ridiculous

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events