IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags education quality

Old 27th June 2022, 04:20 PM   #1
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Potentially Startling Astronomy News

Just noticed this

5 Planets Align in the Sky in Rare Formation

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/...n/6630713.html

Nothing too unusual.

But the best part:
Quote:
Astronomers say the formation is expected to remain in the sky through the rest of June.
My worry is if that speculation proves to be false!
Old 27th June 2022, 05:15 PM   #2
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Yes, but will the Moon be in the 7th house?
Old 27th June 2022, 05:30 PM   #3
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Yes, but will the Moon be in the 7th house?
This is the dawning!!

ETA:
Oh, wait. before dawn. Just after the northern summer Solstice. I am NOT getting up that early. And the planets shown in the graphic are include the moon, which is not a planet!

ETAA: Oh, I'll probably have to get up to pee about then. Perhaps I'll look. If I remember. Which I won't.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 27th June 2022 at 05:36 PM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 05:33 PM   #4
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
But if we let the sunshine in we won't be able to see the planets!
Old 27th June 2022, 06:03 PM   #5
sackett
Philosopher

They wuz a wicked massagener,
From Ealing he done did come,
Wiv a mine that bolloxed up
The smartest manners.

We grabbed him by his shirt
'N axed him, hey, how come?
He et his Xmas pie, including his right thumb.

Oh mama, can this rilly be
Tha en?
Yeah, it can. Muh.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 06:08 PM   #6
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

When I lived in Bellingham, a bit further north than here, I could see the planets often from my back porch. You could really see that they were aligned in an elliptical plane.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2022, 04:26 AM   #7
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

You all may joke but I've dusted off my copy Immanuel Velikovsky's Worlds in Collision to try and figure out what happens next. You won't be laughing as much when Venus leaves her orbit and crashes into the Moon!
Old 28th June 2022, 04:50 AM   #8
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Wait wait wait... stars aligning on a solstice? By the Great Old One! We've been wrong about which solstice all this time. If anyone needs me, I'll be outside drunk screaming "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"
Old 28th June 2022, 05:22 AM   #9
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

I do know one thing.
I know that if I get to my parents house where my telescope is located due to the fact that they have a good field of vision and low light pollution (by dutch standards) it will be cloudy.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2022, 07:44 AM   #10
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
You all may joke but I've dusted off my copy Immanuel Velikovsky's Worlds in Collision to try and figure out what happens next. You won't be laughing as much when Venus leaves her orbit and crashes into the Moon!
I read that book when I was some age younger than 15 after finding it in one of the stacks of paperbacks my dad had. I didn't know at the time it was a discounted theory.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2022, 08:24 AM   #11
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I read that book when I was some age younger than 15 after finding it in one of the stacks of paperbacks my dad had. I didn't know at the time it was a discounted theory.
To be absolutely fair (ha ha) I've never actually read WiC but I've certainly read a deconstruction or two (Martin Gardner et al) and I met Velikovsky in person when he spoke to a meeting of computer professionals in Toronto (the person arranging the speakers had a very idiosyncratic taste and speakers included Arthur C Clarke and Herman Khan). I may have been the only person there who knew who he was.
Old 28th June 2022, 09:50 AM   #12
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

To be absolutely fair (ha ha) I've never actually read WiC but I've certainly read a deconstruction or two (Martin Gardner et al) and I met Velikovsky in person when he spoke to a meeting of computer professionals in Toronto (the person arranging the speakers had a very idiosyncratic taste and speakers included Arthur C Clarke and Herman Khan). I may have been the only person there who knew who he was.
Did he present his planetary theory, or was he talking about other stuff?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2022, 10:04 AM   #13
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Just noticed this

5 Planets Align in the Sky in Rare Formation

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/...n/6630713.html

Nothing too unusual.

But the best part:

My worry is if that speculation proves to be false!
Well sure, if the formation falls out of the sky, LOOK OUT!!!!
Old 28th June 2022, 11:28 AM   #14
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Sounds like the only time I might actually manage to make a Soufflé

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2022, 11:37 AM   #15
SteveAitch
Muse

Feh! No mention of Nibiru!

Some people call me 'strange'. I prefer 'unconventional'. But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'...
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2022, 07:27 PM   #16
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Did he present his planetary theory, or was he talking about other stuff?
It's been a long time (Velikovsky died in 1979) but my memory is it was about his crashing planets and how he was ill-done by the Establishment.

I do remember that Clarke told us of his three most admired authors and I was the only person present who knew who Olaf Stapleton was. And now I can't remember the other two.
Old 1st July 2022, 06:35 AM   #17
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

*checks calendar*
Sooo... how long do you figure it takes R'lyeh to rise? It's been a few days already, and my throat is getting sore from all the chanting.
Old 1st July 2022, 06:47 AM   #18
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
*checks calendar*
Sooo... how long do you figure it takes R'lyeh to rise? It's been a few days already, and my throat is getting sore from all the chanting.
National holiday today in Canada so probably tomorrow.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology