IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th July 2022, 10:37 AM   #1
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Good Cop

Many threads and comments here criticizing police actions. Most are justified, and I have been a somewhat enthusiastic participant. Had a positive police encounter yesterday - Canadian RCMP - that warrants a mention.

Our daughter was sent home early from work yesterday following a serious asthma attack. An RCMP traffic patrol officer noticed her driving fast and erratically on the highway and pulled her over. As soon as he went to speak with her he noticed a medical emergency was occurring - another asthma attack causing confusion and disorientation due to lack of oxygen. He immediately called paramedics and used his personal experience with asthma with his own daughter to help her through the immediate emergency while waiting for paramedics. He assisted her to get out of the car and onto the stretcher because she was feeling very weak. Once she was safely in the hands of paramedics he called me with details and advised where they were located so that I could attend the scene before the paramedics left. Once she was all sorted out and on her way to hospital he offered to stay with her car at the side of the highway while I fetched her boyfriend to drive it home. He was very pleasant and informative during the entire process. His actions could well have prevented a serious devastating accident. This officer displayed the epitome of professionalism that should be inherent in, and expected of, all police. I have reported and commended his actions to his superiors.
Old 25th July 2022, 12:09 PM   #2
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I'm interested in what other responses you'll get in this thread. But isn't that the way it's supposed to work?
Old 25th July 2022, 12:17 PM   #3
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I'm interested in what other responses you'll get in this thread. But isn't that the way it's supposed to work?
I think so. And perhaps this type of thing happens frequently but never gets reported because it is not "news". I think positive reports are probably as important as the negative.
Old 25th July 2022, 12:29 PM   #4
sarge
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I think positive reports are probably as important as the negative.
I disagree. It is not important that citizens trust the police if the police are actually untrustworthy. If the number of reports that accurately present the police as armed thugs approaches 5% of the number of accurate reports that present police as being trustworthy, honest, non-racist thugs, then it is important that the public not trust the police until the police re-earn that trust.
Old 25th July 2022, 12:48 PM   #5
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sarge View Post
I disagree. It is not important that citizens trust the police if the police are actually untrustworthy. If the number of reports that accurately present the police as armed thugs approaches 5% of the number of accurate reports that present police as being trustworthy, honest, non-racist thugs, then it is important that the public not trust the police until the police re-earn that trust.
I said nothing about trust. I am still rather negative about the RCMP in its entirety. Especially upper management. The are a couple of high profile cases currently being vetted here in Canada that indicate a lack of trustworthiness and reliability in the force as a whole. I provide the anecdote on its own merits, nothing more. I do think positive reports have value.
Old 25th July 2022, 01:05 PM   #6
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I do imagine it will cause some cognitive dissonance, until the posters realize this took place in Canada and the person with a medical emergency appears to have been a white woman and not a black man.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 01:14 PM   #7
PitPat
Illuminator

I generally agree with the disagreement. News is usually for things going wrong, not what's working like it should. Not saying there shouldn't be a few minutes allotted for a feel-good story, fine. And this one is, and I'm happy that it turned out well for your daughter.

Also might be a cultural difference between how LEOs are trained - erratic young/white female (? could be wrong) driver could be treated differently than others. And confirmed that vehicle is reported not stolen and received word that registered owner has no active warrants. That is, if Canada has adopted radio technology.
PitPat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 02:07 PM   #8
Warp12
King of Kings

If the number of reports that accurately present the police as armed thugs approaches 5% of the number of accurate reports that present police as being trustworthy, honest, non-racist thugs, then it is important that the public not trust the police until the police re-earn that trust.

The above is laughable. "What is reported in the attention-hungry media is how we should judge the Police". The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of Police encounters to not involve "dishonest racist thug" activity. Just like the story reported in the OP. The fact that some people think otherwise is directly due to the biased and sensational nature of media reporting.

Sounds like we don't have much to worry about, though...at least in the US. If you consider that the Police make 10 million arrests per year, and have 50-60 million civilian encounters. We're going to need a lot more "bad reports" for these claims of widespread egregious misconduct to be of any overwhelming concern.

After all, we wouldn't want to be alarmists promoting a false narrative. That is the job of the media.

Last edited by Warp12; 25th July 2022 at 02:58 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 02:30 PM   #9
PitPat
Illuminator

Nah, while on the whole, most cops are very likely good and honest and I think most reasonable people get that. But there are pockets of regions where misconduct and rights violations occur regularly. And it is absolutely the job of the "attention-hungry" media to report on them where they occur.

What's laughable is that there's an overreaction by media activists (meaning media you don't agree with). It's been going on a long time - what has changed is cameras with footage that are publicly available. Now they're getting called out. Absolutely nothing wrong with media reporting that when it's that egregious.
PitPat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 02:43 PM   #10
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

There are videos of Hitler playing joyfully with his dogs. Apparently he was quite a dog lover.

Does that mean anything? Not at all. He was still evil.

This anecdote means nothing.

#Godwinned
Old 25th July 2022, 02:49 PM   #11
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I do imagine it will cause some cognitive dissonance, until the posters realize this took place in Canada and the person with a medical emergency appears to have been a white woman and not a black man.
The woman involved is officially identified as indigenous, if that matters to you.
Old 25th July 2022, 03:01 PM   #12
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
There are videos of Hitler playing joyfully with his dogs. Apparently he was quite a dog lover.

#Godwinned
There are movies of dogs playing joyfully with Hitler. Apparently dogs have no sense of evil.

Does that mean anything? Why, yes it does. Dogs are pretty dopey.

This anecdote means everything.
Old 25th July 2022, 03:26 PM   #13
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
The above is laughable. "What is reported in the attention-hungry media is how we should judge the Police". The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of Police encounters to not involve "dishonest racist thug" activity. Just like the story reported in the OP. The fact that some people think otherwise is directly due to the biased and sensational nature of media reporting.

Sounds like we don't have much to worry about, though...at least in the US. If you consider that the Police make 10 million arrests per year, and have 50-60 million civilian encounters. We're going to need a lot more "bad reports" for these claims of widespread egregious misconduct to be of any overwhelming concern.

After all, we wouldn't want to be alarmists promoting a false narrative. That is the job of the media.
What has the highlighted to do with anything?

The role of the police should be to protect justice, in many cases, in both the US and the UK, the police forces have been systemically promoting injustice. What is an acceptable level of racist cops in a police force? If you were in a targeted minority, how many times would it be appropriate for you to be stopped without any cause other than your ethnicity?

What evidence do you have to suggest that Ferguson PD was an outlier?

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 03:28 PM   #14
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

#Godwinned
There are also some charming paintings of Stalin playing with Children.
Standard Propganda Ploy.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 03:33 PM   #15
Venom
Philosopher

An officer let me off a few months ago after a friendly warning about my expired plates.
Don't know if that counts as an act of leniency that doesn't make the news, but lesser offenses have prompted police stops that escalate to violence.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 03:53 PM   #16
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Cop shows basic humanity, not going a step out of his way and getting paid all the while, and this gets treated like something worthy of particular accolades. Sign of the times.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 03:56 PM   #17
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Glad your daughter is all right. If that happened in Finland, the driver would probably be barred from driving until declared medically fit to continue. My stepfather thought Finnish police were absolutely wonderful. In icy weather, his four-wheel drive ended up in a ditch - a common cause of accident here - when he took a sharp corner. A neighbour passing by, soon got help for him, as he was somewhat trapped. He said the police were so incredibly nice, taking him to the hospital for a check up, and all. So he was really shocked to later receive a fine and a ban for driving (mainly because of his advanced age and bad health, which they perceived to have been a factor).

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 04:07 PM   #18
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The woman involved is officially identified as indigenous, if that matters to you.
That's really going to confuse them.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 04:13 PM   #19
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The main thing I like about all the ACAB narratives is that nobody talks about the efforts they've been making in their own communities to ensure security while avoiding unnecessary persecution. How's crime in your neighborhood? Is it high? So what's your solution, if not more cops? More social workers? So why aren't you out there doing the social work?
Old 25th July 2022, 04:15 PM   #20
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Cop shows basic humanity, not going a step out of his way and getting paid all the while, and this gets treated like something worthy of particular accolades. Sign of the times.
Frankly anyone who helped my daughter in such a manner would be worthy of accolades. This officer had the advantage of:
- having the authority to stop her when he noticed erratic driving.
- having experience, and perhaps some training, to recognize medical distress and know it was more serious than mere nervousness at being stopped.
- being able to quickly identify and contact me.
- likely (I am guessing here) call on some sort sort of priority to get a quick paramedic response.
- being able to keep an eye on her car until we were able to pick it up so it did not appear abandoned.

Not hard to envision a less caring patrolman to just write up a ticket, give it to her, and tell her not to be so nervous.

For most people I have no doubt this is not a big deal. for me - my daughter is healthy and back at work today after spending 6 hours in the hospital yesterday. To me this justifies all the accolades I can pile on this guy.
Old 25th July 2022, 04:17 PM   #21
Warp12
King of Kings

Yeah, a sign of the times alright.

It's pretty ridiculous that with the number of police encounters, and the tiny fractional number of bad actions being sensationalized, that some people think bad cops are the norm. Some people are actually so stupid as to think that the media narrative about cops is correct, so you have to beat them over them head with it when a cop buys a kid an ice cream cone.

Well, what point is there in being a SJW without a cause, I suppose?

Last edited by Warp12; 25th July 2022 at 04:18 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 04:18 PM   #22
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

That's really going to confuse them.
How? and why? There is a very prominent and prosperous indigenous community in this area. There is nothing confusing about it.
Old 25th July 2022, 04:36 PM   #23
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Yeah, a sign of the times alright.

It's pretty ridiculous that with the number of police encounters, and the tiny fractional number of bad actions being sensationalized, that some people think bad cops are the norm. Some people are actually so stupid as to think that the media narrative about cops is correct, so you have to beat them over them head with it when a cop buys a kid an ice cream cone.

Well, what point is there in being a SJW without a cause, I suppose?
The problem is cops are able to get away with a lot just because they are cops, and they more often than not have each other's backs, even when they do something horrible. One police chief told his officers if they are okay with what happened to George Floyd, resign now. I thought no police or reactionaries could possibly defend this right? Oh but because of BLM and the security footage, it became okay to defend the perpetrator somehow. It became a tit for tat thing, tacitly defending the killing just because some rioters who hijacked the peaceful protests made the Fox News top story for weeks straight.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 05:02 PM   #24
PitPat
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The main thing I like about all the ACAB narratives is that nobody talks about the efforts they've been making in their own communities to ensure security while avoiding unnecessary persecution. How's crime in your neighborhood? Is it high? So what's your solution, if not more cops? More social workers? So why aren't you out there doing the social work?
That's an important question. Crime in my neighborhood has gotten a lot worse over the last 6-7 years. Like many urban areas, city cops have fled to the suburbs, and there's a vacuum left.

Sure, recruiting programs may eventually help, remains to be seen. Things where you'd usually expect a visit for, let's say a stolen license plate on your car parked in a secure location, is addressed by a text saying it's been documented.

I don't think it will change soon - feels more like a bitter rivalry between LE agencies/unions and politicians (and some elected prosecutors). No-cash bail/recognizance and such. With only so much money to go around - and then you get into "raising taxes" for goals that should "already be included with with the taxes we currently pay".

Both sides have issues - police being over protective of their own (law) and some prosecutors deciding to loosen the rules (order). Some may be surprised that Seattle elected a Republican city attorney last cycle who campaigned about tightening those up. Though we've had moderate Republican officeholders before at the city and county level, but it's been awhile.

Last edited by PitPat; 25th July 2022 at 05:05 PM.
Old 25th July 2022, 05:42 PM   #25
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

My only comment for this thread

"Steve, is your daughter OK now?"
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 05:45 PM   #26
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

How? and why? There is a very prominent and prosperous indigenous community in this area. There is nothing confusing about it.
Because a lot of the people here assume that if a cop encounters a BIPOC (especially one behaving erratically as your daughter was), the latter usually ends up getting shot. It's an article of faith with them.
Old 25th July 2022, 06:20 PM   #27
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Cue Rick Mercer and Talking to AmericansWP.
Old 25th July 2022, 08:13 PM   #28
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I have reported and commended his actions to his superiors.
But it's Canada. Isn't everybody nice? And the RCMP is a national force. The U.S. has nothing like that.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 08:20 PM   #29
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I think that in an environment where we are bombarded with information about police misconduct, there's value in occasionally making note of when they do good.
Old 25th July 2022, 08:33 PM   #30
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I'm glad your daughter is OK.

However, that "get-home-itis" has nearly cost me my life, twice.

I strongly recommend that your daughter gets her asthma plan updated, and also gets onto much better medication.

It is not OK to be driving anywhere during an asthma attack, and doing things like that can lead to much worse outcomes.
Old 25th July 2022, 08:55 PM   #31
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Frankly anyone who helped my daughter in such a manner would be worthy of accolades. This officer had the advantage of:
- having the authority to stop her when he noticed erratic driving.
- having experience, and perhaps some training, to recognize medical distress and know it was more serious than mere nervousness at being stopped.
- being able to quickly identify and contact me.
- likely (I am guessing here) call on some sort sort of priority to get a quick paramedic response.
- being able to keep an eye on her car until we were able to pick it up so it did not appear abandoned.

Not hard to envision a less caring patrolman to just write up a ticket, give it to her, and tell her not to be so nervous.

For most people I have no doubt this is not a big deal. for me - my daughter is healthy and back at work today after spending 6 hours in the hospital yesterday. To me this justifies all the accolades I can pile on this guy.
And that's great. Glad to hear your daughter is well.

But the way you framed this story...as "Good Cop"...is kind of troubling. Serious question: would you really expect anything less than what he did? Would you have done the same in a similar situation? I bet you would have. We have the bar so low for police behavior that being a passable human being, or not a freaking ghoul, makes him "Good".

You didn't mention goodness of the paramedics, or doctors and nurses of the hospital. Were they not good? You took the time to commend the paramedics and attending physicians and other caregivers, yes? Or is it just the cop that is worthy?

Not busting your chops man, but if we lower the bar of expectations for police any more were going to trip.over it.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2022, 10:24 PM   #32
Susheel
Master Poster

It confuses him...
Old 25th July 2022, 10:26 PM   #33
Susheel
Master Poster

Because a lot of the people here assume that if a cop encounters a BIPOC (especially one behaving erratically as your daughter was), the latter usually ends up getting shot. It's an article of faith with them.
Well, recent incidents seem to indicate it does happen.
Old 25th July 2022, 10:46 PM   #34
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Well, recent incidents seem to indicate it does happen.
Selection bias.
Old 25th July 2022, 11:23 PM   #35
sarge
Philosopher

Selection bias.
You picked the wrong kind of bias.
Old 26th July 2022, 09:58 AM   #36
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
When the cops are part of and answer to the communities in which they work all of this sort of takes care of itself. Which isn't all that common for the most vulnerable people in a polity of any size.

It's all pretty clueless. "So, you say the cops who don't live here and couldn't care less about your quality of life are running wild and causing more problems than they solve? Why aren't you out there solving those problems and doing their jobs for them?
Suddenly is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2022, 10:16 AM   #37
PitPat
Illuminator

One thing I'm concerned about and don't have anything that indicates it, is a lowering of standards for acceptance just to get the numbers up. That would just make it worse.
Old 26th July 2022, 10:43 AM   #38
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by PitPat View Post
One thing I'm concerned about and don't have anything that indicates it, is a lowering of standards for acceptance just to get the numbers up. That would just make it worse.
But they already avoid high standards, so one way would be to let the high scoring applicants in. They already keep those with high IQ's out.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-...story?id=95836
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2022, 11:02 AM   #39
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
But they already avoid high standards, so one way would be to let the high scoring applicants in. They already keep those with high IQ's out.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-...story?id=95836
For the same reason I declined to interview a UC Berkeley graduate for a secretarial position; I knew the job couldn't possibly be a fit for her.
Old 26th July 2022, 11:09 AM   #40
PitPat
Illuminator

Excellent foresight. UC Berkeley graduates aren't a monolith - I know two who have been happy at their jobs that aren't that demanding for their degrees. But they're good at it and enjoying life. But yeah, could be just too smart.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events