IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 19th June 2022, 06:33 PM   #481
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 19,053
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
A country with an age of consent of 16 doesn't mean that all the adults there are constantly on the prowl for sex with high schoolers.

Some of them might actually have their own sense of morality that supersedes the law and tells them not to hav sex with children.
I have watched a fair number of British mini-series and am always amazed at how often the "16 is the age of consent" plot point comes up. It certainly seems as if the TV writers are very aware of the issue.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 06:34 PM   #482
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 15,504
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
While I do think there is an issue with older men and women having sex with consenting but under age (however it is defined) teens, I also have an issue with the naivety of thinking kids aren't sexually active as early as 12 (my girlfriend) or 14 (myself). Kids in my circle of friends were all sexually active by 16.
To be clear, I'm referring to age of consent when an adult is involved (in other words, I think adults should only being having sex with other adults, Romeo and Juliet laws notwithstanding).

What two 16 year-olds are doing together doesn't bother me.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 06:39 PM   #483
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 15,504
I would bet that if anyone here championing sex between 30 year-old men and 16 year-old girls had a 16 year-old daughter who brought home a 30 year-old boyfriend, they would change their tune in a heartbeat.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 06:43 PM   #484
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 18,146
Quote:
What two 16 year-olds are doing together doesn't bother me.
Even if one of them is your daughter?
__________________
‘Trust in Allah but tie up your camel.’
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 08:03 PM   #485
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 15,504
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Even if one of them is your daughter?
I certainly wouldn’t want to know about it, but I also wouldn’t be bothered by the idea of it. My primary concern would be that they’re being safe.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 08:04 PM   #486
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,773
Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Wow! You ask a question, insist on a Y or N outcome then put caveats in!?

Try this, I mean it, try to answer this.

A yes or no question, answer with no elaboration.

Have you, smartcooky, stopped touching prepubescent children?

For the record, I don't think you've ever done such a thing but I hope you can see how unfair your, "answer me but only under the following conditions", is?
Ah, the old loaded question canard, more often that not brought into play by those who are nowhere near as clever as they think they are.

I never ask loaded questions, and I most certainly do not answer them.

If you want to rephrase the question such that it is not loaded, I will answer it for you.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 08:18 PM   #487
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,773
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Do you know that it wasn't?
It is characteristic of all newspaper articles, that every reader has a vivid recollection of them and that any given reader's recollection of them differs violently from every other reader's recollection. Consequently, we accept the convention that any facts read in any newspaper article are those, and only those which have been officially published in the article, from which it emerges with an elegant inevitability, that any facts which been officially published will be those facts in the article, and any facts which are not in the article have not been officially published, even if one or more readers believe they can recollect them, so in this particular case, if she named the boyfriend, that fact would have been in the article, and it isn’t, so it wasn’t.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 11:31 PM   #488
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
Moderator
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 26,651
Mod Warning

Moved a load of posts to AH, and I probably have missed some.

The topic is this case, not other posters
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:jimbob
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Public/Compulsory Expenditure on healthcare
https://data.oecd.org/chart/60Tt

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 01:02 AM   #489
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 103,090
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
How do we know what she told them ("them" being Louisiana Department of Child & Family Services)?

The Daily Mail story says "she never told anyone who the father was or that she had been raped".

The only quote I've seen from Abelseth is that her family believed that her then-boyfriend was the father.

"Everyone assumed he was," she said.

If you've seen something that indicates what, if anything, the DCFS asked her about the father and what she replied, please point me in that direction.
I had thought in one of the articles I'd read that she'd said it was her boyfriend's, but haven't gone back to look.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 01:08 AM   #490
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 103,090
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Yes, I would like to see evidence of this as well. It seems some posters are clutching at every straw to excuse Barnes.
Still telling the same lie lionking. The only reason any of us are interested in knowing what she told people and child services at the time of the birth is to understand if child services dropped the ball at that time. It has absolutely nothing to do with Barnes.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 01:16 AM   #491
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 103,090
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
In this case she said it was her ' boyfriend ' .. Should we believe she didn't know his name? Or, that there was more than one boyfriend, in which case she could not be sure which one was the father?
I do think given the fact that the medical professionals/ child services (just going to use child services to cover all these in future) knew she had sex when she was under age they should have investigated that, at the moment it seems they didn't. I am still surprised that such a birth isn't notifiable if not to the police but to the likes of a child services department.

Obviously they could have done but it isn't in the reports so far.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 01:34 AM   #492
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,510
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Still telling the same lie lionking. The only reason any of us are interested in knowing what she told people and child services at the time of the birth is to understand if child services dropped the ball at that time. It has absolutely nothing to do with Barnes.
So you have evidence that the mother told child services about the father? Because there is nothing in the report that says that. Yet sarge defaults to the position that the mother told child services it was her boyfriend.

And please prove that I told a lie. You can only prove that if you have credible evidence that the mother told child services that her boyfriend was the father.

Edited by Agatha:  Removed FMF material. Please do not bring up forum management matters outwith FMF.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by Agatha; 28th June 2022 at 02:03 PM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 11:29 AM   #493
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 19,489
So where are we at with Abelseth? If she stated her "boyfriend" was another minor, there as no rape under LA law and things went along as the story is told. We do not know exactly what she told to who, and how specifically. So...no problem there, pending further evidence, yeah? We can't say what halpened was or was not improper without those specifics.

Although it would be interesting to know if the boyfriend actually thought he was the father, and if he paid support and all. Or did he know he couldn't be, based on when they last had sex, or if they were having sex at all?

Side note: I suspect an awkward father's day celebration was had yesterday in the parish.

So starting from the point that we actually have information: Barnes decides in 2011 that he must be the father of this kid he never even saw, based on his recollection of a five years past rape that he may or may not know he committed. In 2012 it is entered into the record that the child is a product of rape and Barnes is consequently the rapist.

How does he gain custodial rights? Does he have officials in his pocket or what?
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 11:32 AM   #494
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 52,725
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I do think given the fact that the medical professionals/ child services (just going to use child services to cover all these in future) knew she had sex when she was under age they should have investigated that, at the moment it seems they didn't. I am still surprised that such a birth isn't notifiable if not to the police but to the likes of a child services department.

Obviously they could have done but it isn't in the reports so far.
But she could legally have sex with people her own age and up to 20. So the fact that she clearly had sex is not evidence of a crime unless you know the age of the father.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 11:37 AM   #495
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 19,489
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
But she could legally have sex with people her own age and up to 20. So the fact that she clearly had sex is not evidence of a crime unless you know the age of the father.
I don't think so. Those are Romeo and Juliet provisions, which LA does not have. The partner has to be under 18 (both of them minors).
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 11:45 AM   #496
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 18,146
Quote:
Side note: I suspect an awkward father's day celebration was had yesterday in the parish.
__________________
‘Trust in Allah but tie up your camel.’
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 12:09 PM   #497
sarge
Philosopher
Moderator
 
sarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 8,850
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
But she could legally have sex with people her own age and up to 20. So the fact that she clearly had sex is not evidence of a crime unless you know the age of the father.
This is the only point that matters in the discussion as to whether or not there was evidence of rape at the time of the birth. A birth is not, absent some other evidence besides the mother being 17, an indication of rape.

5 years later, once the (incredibly stupid) father came forward and proved he had committed rape, then it appears authorities in several agencies failed both the mother and the child.
__________________
My previous signature risked (unknowingly) violating the Hatch Act!

Last edited by sarge; 20th June 2022 at 12:21 PM.
sarge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 12:12 PM   #498
sarge
Philosopher
Moderator
 
sarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 8,850
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
So you have evidence that the mother told child services about the father? Because there is nothing in the report that says that. Yet sarge defaults to the position that the mother told child services it was her boyfriend.

And please prove that I told a lie. You can only prove that if you have credible evidence that the mother told child services that her boyfriend was the father.

But circling the wagons by moderators has come to be expected.
The bolded is either an honest mistake or an additional lie.
__________________
My previous signature risked (unknowingly) violating the Hatch Act!
sarge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 12:20 PM   #499
sarge
Philosopher
Moderator
 
sarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 8,850
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I don't think so. Those are Romeo and Juliet provisions, which LA does not have. The partner has to be under 18 (both of them minors).
Even that doesn’t appear to be perfectly accurate. Both parties being under 18 does not necessarily shelter the elder of the two from statutory rape charges. A 17 year old can be guilty under LA law if (s)he is more than 4 years older than the younger participant.

And relative ages can work the other way as well. An 18 yo that has sex with a 16yo will be guilty of a misdemeanor instead of a felony.
__________________
My previous signature risked (unknowingly) violating the Hatch Act!
sarge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 02:18 PM   #500
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,510
Originally Posted by sarge View Post
The bolded is either an honest mistake or an additional lie.
What on earth is this supposed to mean?

Quote:
allows everyone to believe that her boyfriend is the father also removes any reason to believe there was a rape.
“Everyone” includes child services and, discounting telepathy, how else could she allow that without telling them?

Stop with the lie allegations.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 02:21 PM   #501
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,773
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
So you have evidence that the mother told child services about the father? Because there is nothing in the report that says that. Yet sarge defaults to the position that the mother told child services it was her boyfriend.
In reply...


Originally Posted by sarge View Post
The bolded is either an honest mistake or an additional lie.
Nope - it's not a lie or a mistake, it accurately reflects what you have said... multiple times.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=245
Originally Posted by sarge View Post
No, it is not. It is a direct indicator that a 16/17 year old had sex. I’d wager that it happens every day in Louisiana and that it is almost never statutory rape. In a hospital where births are a routine occurrence, there is no reasonable expectation that a 17 year old giving birth should trigger an investigation into a possible rape, especially when the mother names a boyfriend as the father.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=253
Originally Posted by sarge View Post
The mother, at the time of the birth, not only made no allegation of statutory rape, she actively covered up the fact by listing as the father a former boyfriend of hers.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=330
Originally Posted by sarge View Post
My claim is that at the time of birth there was no indication of rape because the mother had listed as the father her teenage boyfriend and had not at that time named the true father.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=407
Originally Posted by sarge View Post
When a 17 year old girl gives birth and names as the father her teen boyfriend, then yes it is ordinary and routine for statutory rape not to be considered likely, because …..there was at the time of birth no indication that rape had occurred.
You have been busted. Did you forget that we can go back and check what you previously said!

I'd call repeating the same, unverified claim four times, taking a default position... wouldn't you?
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!

Last edited by smartcooky; 20th June 2022 at 02:23 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 02:26 PM   #502
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 60,114
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
In reply...




Nope - it's not a lie or a mistake, it accurately reflects what you have said... multiple times.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=245


http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=253


http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=330


http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=407


You have been busted. Did you forget that we can go back and check what you previously said!

I'd call repeating the same, unverified claim four times, taking a default position... wouldn't you?
None of those are sarge assuming she told child services her boyfriend was the father.

It has been reported that she listed the boyfriend as the father, at the time of birth. That is the fact that sarge is arguing from.
__________________
There is no Antimemetics Division.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 02:33 PM   #503
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,510
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
None of those are sarge assuming she told child services her boyfriend was the father.

It has been reported that she listed the boyfriend as the father, at the time of birth. That is the fact that sarge is arguing from.
He said she “allowed everyone” to believe it. Any where is your evidence she listed the boyfriend as the father?
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 02:37 PM   #504
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 18,146
Quote:
Any where is your evidence she listed the boyfriend as the father?
I would like to see that as well.. It has been stated many times.
__________________
‘Trust in Allah but tie up your camel.’
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 04:21 PM   #505
sarge
Philosopher
Moderator
 
sarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 8,850
…..

Last edited by sarge; 20th June 2022 at 04:31 PM.
sarge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 04:27 PM   #506
sarge
Philosopher
Moderator
 
sarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 8,850
….
__________________
My previous signature risked (unknowingly) violating the Hatch Act!

Last edited by sarge; 20th June 2022 at 04:30 PM.
sarge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 04:34 PM   #507
sarge
Philosopher
Moderator
 
sarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 8,850
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
He said she “allowed everyone” to believe it. Any where is your evidence she listed the boyfriend as the father?
‘Everyone’ in context doesn’t actually mean everyone, everywhere.

Because there was no indication of rape at the time of birth, CPS isn’t a consideration. They would not even be aware that there was a birth. There was no indication of rape until some time after the birth.

But you know all of that, just as you knew I had not claimed that she told CPS anything. You also knew that I had not made any statement that could be called ‘rape apology’.
__________________
My previous signature risked (unknowingly) violating the Hatch Act!
sarge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 04:48 PM   #508
sarge
Philosopher
Moderator
 
sarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 8,850
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I don't think so. Those are Romeo and Juliet provisions, which LA does not have. The partner has to be under 18 (both of them minors).
Correct, but not complete (assuming the link from an attorneys office is correct).

In LA, it is possible for a minor to commit statutory rape if there are 4 years or more difference in age. And with an adult/minor that are two or fewer years apart in age, the act is a misdemeanor instead of a felony. That doesn’t make it any less a rape of course, but it might be quite a distinction at sentencing. So, if a guy on his 18th birthday gets some from his one day younger girlfriend, at least he won’t spend ten years in prison.
__________________
My previous signature risked (unknowingly) violating the Hatch Act!
sarge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 04:52 PM   #509
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,510
Originally Posted by sarge View Post
‘Everyone’ in context doesn’t actually mean everyone, everywhere.

Because there was no indication of rape at the time of birth, CPS isn’t a consideration. They would not even be aware that there was a birth. There was no indication of rape until some time after the birth.

But you know all of that, just as you knew I had not claimed that she told CPS anything. You also knew that I had not made any statement that could be called ‘rape apology’.
What I do know is you said that the mother listed a boyfriend as the father. What evidence do you have of that? I’ll give you some help here. This is from the article:

Quote:
Everyone assumed it [the pregnancy] was from a boyfriend, and I let them believe that
That’s it. Where is your evidence?

You kept repeating that she told authorities that her boyfriend was the father. You use this bit of guesswork as a reason said authorities didn’t investigate further. That guesswork is doing some mighty heavy lifting.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 04:58 PM   #510
sarge
Philosopher
Moderator
 
sarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 8,850
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
What I do know is you said that the mother listed a boyfriend as the father. What evidence do you have of that? I’ll give you some help here. This is from the article:



That’s it. Where is your evidence?

You kept repeating that she told authorities that her boyfriend was the father. You use this bit of guesswork as a reason said authorities didn’t investigate further. That guesswork is doing some mighty heavy lifting.
You are still lying. I have not once written that she told ‘authorities’ anything, and there is a world of difference between ‘she said her boyfriend was the father’ and ‘she told Child Protective Service her boyfriend was the father’. If the hospital and the mothers family believe that this is an ordinary, happens every single day, teen birth, then no ‘authorities’ specifically CPS, would be ‘told’ anything because they wouldn’t be involved.

This entire discussion is about my contention that there was, at the time of the birth, no indication that she had been raped. Everything since then is you trying to avoid having to admit that you were mistaken about what I had claimed, even to the point that you are willing to lie. Even to the point that you signed on to anothers claim that I was a ‘rape apologist’.
__________________
My previous signature risked (unknowingly) violating the Hatch Act!
sarge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 05:04 PM   #511
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,510
Originally Posted by sarge View Post
You are still lying. I have not once written that she told ‘authorities’ anything, and there is a world of difference between ‘she said her boyfriend was the father’ and ‘she told Child Protective Service her boyfriend was the father’. If the hospital and the mothers family believe that this is an ordinary, happens every single day, teen birth, then no ‘authorities’ specifically CPS, would be ‘told’ anything because they wouldn’t be involved.

This entire discussion is about my contention that there was, at the time of the birth, no indication that she had been raped. Everything since then is you trying to avoid having to admit that you were mistaken about what I had claimed, even to the point that you are willing to lie. Even to the point that you signed on to anothers claim that I was a ‘rape apologist’.
You stated she listed the boyfriend as the father. Where is the evidence for that? And I didn’t mention CPS. Where I come from hospital staff (which have compulsory reporting obligations) are considered authorities.

You made stuff up (the boyfriend listed as the father).
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 05:19 PM   #512
sarge
Philosopher
Moderator
 
sarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 8,850
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You stated she listed the boyfriend as the father. Where is the evidence for that? And I didn’t mention CPS. Where I come from hospital staff (which have compulsory reporting obligations) are considered authorities.
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Yet sarge defaults to the position that the mother told child services it was her boyfriend.
You not only specifically said that I claimed the mother told child services, you italicized it to indicate that this was really important to your claim.

You lied.

Quote:
You made stuff up (the boyfriend listed as the father).
Lie two. The article says that ‘everyone assumed the boyfriend was the father and I let them believe that’. That is functionally identical to her telling ‘everyone’ that the boyfriend was the father.

To drag this all back so that you don’t try to obfuscate further:

A poster questioned how, at the time of birth, the rape wasn’t investigated. I pointed out the fact that at the time of the birth, there really was no indication that a rape had occurred. A poster wrote that of course there was evidence of a rape and that my saying there wasn’t was rape apology. You then waded in and agreed.

Now, here we are. My claim is still that at the time of birth there was no indication of rape, in part because the mother claimed (by omission at least and more probably by commission) that a boyfriend was the father. You claim is that I’ve said all manner of things that I clearly did not say and you still have not abandoned your adopted position that I am a rape apologist.
__________________
My previous signature risked (unknowingly) violating the Hatch Act!

Last edited by sarge; 20th June 2022 at 05:21 PM.
sarge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 05:24 PM   #513
Samson
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 10,017
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Read my post again, and this time, pay some bloody attention to the context.

A rapist has no parental rights with regard to a child they father as a result of the rape (that is what we are talking about here, not just general criminals). Why? Because we recognise the fact that rape is about power and control a lot more than it is about sex. If the legal system is forcing the victim of rape to have ANYTHING to do with her attacker, that system is in effect raping her over again, or at the very least, extending her pain and suffering.




Oh please, enough of this crap!! This is the same bull-**** argument that certain other posters kept trying to make in their apologism for convicted sex offender and child sex trafficker Ghislaine Maxwell in another thread

The rape happened in Louisiana NOT England. The legal age there is 17 NOT 16. You should think of it this way - is it legal for a 30 year old man to have sex with a girl who is a year younger than the legal age of consent... THAT is the criteria you should be using, and the answer is, of course, an emphatic no!
I have not read the thread beyond here so this may have been pointed out but:
There is a proposal in one American state I forget which, when Roe vs Wade is binned, to require a rape victim to ask permission of her rapist to have an abortion.
To be clear I consider a woman should have complete determination.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 06:09 PM   #514
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,510
Originally Posted by sarge View Post
You not only specifically said that I claimed the mother told child services, you italicized it to indicate that this was really important to your claim.

You lied.



Lie two. The article says that ‘everyone assumed the boyfriend was the father and I let them believe that’. That is functionally identical to her telling ‘everyone’ that the boyfriend was the father.

To drag this all back so that you don’t try to obfuscate further:

A poster questioned how, at the time of birth, the rape wasn’t investigated. I pointed out the fact that at the time of the birth, there really was no indication that a rape had occurred. A poster wrote that of course there was evidence of a rape and that my saying there wasn’t was rape apology. You then waded in and agreed.

Now, here we are. My claim is still that at the time of birth there was no indication of rape, in part because the mother claimed (by omission at least and more probably by commission) that a boyfriend was the father. You claim is that I’ve said all manner of things that I clearly did not say and you still have not abandoned your adopted position that I am a rape apologist.
It’s a good thing I can read what you posted:

Quote:
My claim is that at the time of birth there was no indication of rape because the mother had listed as the father her teenage boyfriend and had not at that time named the true father.
Where is the evidence the mother “listed” the boyfriend as the father? That’s what you said. Listed where? It’s perfectly logical to conclude that such a listing is with an authority of some sort? So, listed where?
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 06:16 PM   #515
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,510
Oh and sarge, I haven’t lied once. I assumed that you were referring to child services when you used the word “listed”.

You on the other hand, have presented no evidence that the mother told anyone the boyfriend was the father.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 06:34 PM   #516
sarge
Philosopher
Moderator
 
sarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 8,850
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Oh and sarge, I haven’t lied once. I assumed that you were referring to child services when you used the word “listed”.
No, you lied. There is no logical way to get from what I actually wrote to attributing to me a very specific claim that I said the mother told CPS anything. And you know it……it’s why you are now backpedaling.

Quote:
You on the other hand, have presented no evidence that the mother told anyone the boyfriend was the father.
I presented the same ‘evidence’ that everyone has… news reports. Again, in the context of a discussion about whether or not at the time of birth there was indication of rape (the only context that matters as that is my sole position) there is no functional difference between ‘everyone believed and I didn’t correct them’ and ‘I told them’.
__________________
My previous signature risked (unknowingly) violating the Hatch Act!
sarge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 06:34 PM   #517
ZiprHead
Muse
 
ZiprHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sag-Nasty
Posts: 667
..
__________________
When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

IIDB is back, baby!

Last edited by ZiprHead; 20th June 2022 at 06:39 PM.
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 06:42 PM   #518
sarge
Philosopher
Moderator
 
sarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 8,850
Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
Citation, please. So far all I've seen of this is conjecture on some people's part.
I have read it in news reports but not presented as a proven. I’ve not chased it further as it doesn’t in any way alter the nature of the events. Fake OD or no, in a bar or no, lied about her age or no, had a fake birth certificate, looked 25, none of it is relevant to the question of whether or not it was rape. It’s not relevant to whether or not the police failed to investigate. It isn’t relevant (to me) to the question of how the father, once it should have been clear that he raped her, ever got custody of any percentage.
__________________
My previous signature risked (unknowingly) violating the Hatch Act!
sarge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 06:47 PM   #519
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 50,510
Originally Posted by sarge View Post
No, you lied. There is no logical way to get from what I actually wrote to attributing to me a very specific claim that I said the mother told CPS anything. And you know it……it’s why you are now backpedaling.



I presented the same ‘evidence’ that everyone has… news reports. Again, in the context of a discussion about whether or not at the time of birth there was indication of rape (the only context that matters as that is my sole position) there is no functional difference between ‘everyone believed and I didn’t correct them’ and ‘I told them’.
No backpedaling at all. You used the word “listed”. Where?
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 07:34 PM   #520
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 19,252
In all this bickering about the whether the hospital or CPS was negligent in the first place, I haven't seen what LA law says about reporting under aged pregnancies.

Even if investigation of fatherhood is required by law, understaffed agencies are unlikely to give it priority unless they have reason to believe that a statutory rape has occurred.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:05 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.