IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th June 2022, 09:59 AM   #801
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Mod WarningStick to the discussion of the topic, and knock off the personalisation.

Thank you.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:zooterkin
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2022, 11:58 AM   #802
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Can you please link the post you are quoting here? I can't find it in this thread.
Its pretty obviously the post he quoted.

shuttit is literally saying that if its open season for forum members on anti-vaxxers then why should it not be open season on rape victims. Of course, the fact that anti-vaxxers CHOOSE to be anti-vaxxers and rape victims don't choose to be rape victims doesn't even occur to him.

Last edited by smartcooky; 25th June 2022 at 12:04 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2022, 12:10 PM   #803
Warp12
Suspended

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Its pretty obviously the post he quoted.

shuttit is literally saying that if its open season for forum members on anti-vaxxers then why should it not be open season on rape victims. Of course, the fact that anti-vaxxers CHOOSE to be anti-vaxxers and rape victims don't choose to be rape victims doesn't even occur to him.

I believe the point was that if we point out idiocy and question/identify potential falsehoods in every other case, why should this be any different? And the answer is that it shouldn't be.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2022, 02:14 PM   #804
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Deputy Admin

Mod Warning Perhaps you missed Zooterkin's mod box,

Return to the topic. Discussion of what scepticism is, or who is more sceptical than whom is not the topic. If you want to discuss scepticism or examine the bias of other posters, please do so in a suitable thread.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:Agatha
Old 29th June 2022, 05:41 AM   #805
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I'm not sure what you're asking here, are you asking if the paternity test would be thrown out in a trial because it would be considered testifying against yourself? ....
Yaeh. Like Bill Cosby, he arranged it so that his civil trial evidence could not be used in his criminal trail. In this case, child welfare before a 7 year old criminal case.

And in this case, it reads like the father requested the paternity test, he wanted the child once he found out there was one.

I go with the mother making up BS, like in soooo many custody battles. Everything but the statutory-ness of their sexual encounter.
Old 29th June 2022, 06:29 AM   #806
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Yaeh. Like Bill Cosby, he arranged it so that his civil trial evidence could not be used in his criminal trail. In this case, child welfare before a 7 year old criminal case.

And in this case, it reads like the father requested the paternity test, he wanted the child once he found out there was one.

I go with the mother making up BS, like in soooo many custody battles. Everything but the statutory-ness of their sexual encounter.
Well, I don't really know what all of this means, other than you're joining the chorus of "this poor, poor man, and that evil, evil bitch trying to do him dirty". So I have nothing to add.

If you think the paternity test will get thrown out because he requested it, I will have an absolute laugh when you find out the truth. No matter what he's admitted to being the father, signed documentation with the state claiming paternity, and has fought for custody of the child. The paternity test, in this case, means nothing. Keep hating on her, it always gives me a smile when you guys get disappointed when the father goes to jail.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2022, 06:42 AM   #807
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by casebro View Post

I think in the Fox article based on interviews with the father, it was the mother who sought the paternity tests.
shuttlt is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2022, 07:02 AM   #808
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
I think in the Fox article based on interviews with the father, it was the mother who sought the paternity tests.
If we're being honest, it really, really doesn't matter. Whether it was her or him, the paternity test has been done and the parents have been identified.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 12:37 PM   #809
LongFuzzy
Critical Thinker

The real victim in this case is the boyfriend. You know, the one that she let everyone think was the father. The one that signed the original birth certificate. The one that ended up in jail (I wonder why).
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 05:49 PM   #810
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
The real victim in this case is the boyfriend. You know, the one that she let everyone think was the father. The one that signed the original birth certificate. The one that ended up in jail (I wonder why).
This is the first I've heard the boyfriend ended up in jail. (It may have been mentioned earlier and I missed it.) If true, was it due to the fact he fathered the child, or for other reasons?
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 07:19 PM   #811
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
This is the first I've heard the boyfriend ended up in jail. (It may have been mentioned earlier and I missed it.) If true, was it due to the fact he fathered the child, or for other reasons?
No I haven't heard this either. I doubt it's true.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 11:59 PM   #812
Warp12
Suspended

There are numerous hints that this woman behaves in a duplicitous manner. That doesn't mean that she won't legally be able to create suffering and despair for those around her, of course. And some will cheer her on in the process.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 01:18 AM   #813
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
There are numerous hints that this woman behaves in a duplicitous manner. That doesn't mean that she won't legally be able to create suffering and despair for those around her, of course. And some will cheer her on in the process.
So where is the ******* evidence the boyfriend has been imprisoned?

I’m not the only one annoyed at you making **** up.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 02:46 AM   #814
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
So where is the ******* evidence the boyfriend has been imprisoned?

I’m not the only one annoyed at you making **** up.
That comes from the boyfriend's side of the story in the Fox article.
shuttlt is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 04:12 AM   #815
Matthew Best
Philosopher

"The petition for paternity was initiated by Abelseth in 2011, the judge wrote in a filing. A suit was filed demanding DNA samples from Barnes and James Threeton, who was incarcerated at the time.

Threeton had signed the child’s birth certificate, and the young girl initially had his last name and called him "daddy," according to the records."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/louisiana...child-says-lie
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 04:42 AM   #816
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
"The petition for paternity was initiated by Abelseth in 2011, the judge wrote in a filing. A suit was filed demanding DNA samples from Barnes and James Threeton, who was incarcerated at the time.

Threeton had signed the child’s birth certificate, and the young girl initially had his last name and called him "daddy," according to the records."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/louisiana...child-says-lie
Well Fox News, but fair enough.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 2nd July 2022, 05:13 AM   #817
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I'm not quite sure why being incarcerated makes him "the real victim in this case". I mean, maybe he deserved to be there.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 05:59 AM   #818
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Still not getting the whole paternity suit angle. Abelseth just jumps up and starts suing to get DNA samples to prove paternity, then agrees to joint custody immediately, with no child support (at that time).

These are major, life altering actions. This didn't come out of nowhere. How did the suden interest in paternity come about? Why would she willingly give her teenage daughter to a rapist, for any ******* reason on earth? There is something seriously not right, here. If she did so, and it is true that he is a rapist, they should both be in jail, her for willful child endangerment.

If it's not true, she should be in jail for false rape claims, which IMO should carry the same penalty as the false charge would have, with extra time for the additional associated crimes of perjury, slander, etc.

Basicsly, after all this, I now can't think of a reason why Abelseth isn't the one in jail for one thing or the other.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 07:59 AM   #819
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Still not getting the whole paternity suit angle. Abelseth just jumps up and starts suing to get DNA samples to prove paternity, then agrees to joint custody immediately, with no child support (at that time).

These are major, life altering actions. This didn't come out of nowhere. How did the suden interest in paternity come about? Why would she willingly give her teenage daughter to a rapist, for any ******* reason on earth? There is something seriously not right, here. If she did so, and it is true that he is a rapist, they should both be in jail, her for willful child endangerment.

If it's not true, she should be in jail for false rape claims, which IMO should carry the same penalty as the false charge would have, with extra time for the additional associated crimes of perjury, slander, etc.

Basicsly, after all this, I now can't think of a reason why Abelseth isn't the one in jail for one thing or the other.
Are you forgetting about the statutory aspect of the rape?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 08:12 AM   #820
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Are you forgetting about the statutory aspect of the rape?
Not at all. I'd still like to know the judge's reasoning behind not summarily charging for this (beyond "she seems okay with it"). It is the newer claim of outright forced/non-consensual/drugged/unconscious rape that is a separate charge.

If true, she allowed her daughter to be put in the hands of an outright rapist, knowingly, and with her permission even when she claimed her daughter was actively being raped by him...becsuse she was feeling a bit under the weather? What were her other four kids up to at that time?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 08:23 AM   #821
bluesjnr

Not at all. I'd still like to know the judge's reasoning behind not summarily charging for this (beyond "she seems okay with it"). It is the newer claim of outright forced/non-consensual/drugged/unconscious rape that is a separate charge.
Fair enough.

Quote:
If true, she allowed her daughter to be put in the hands of an outright rapist,
See following which will give an insight into my thoughts on this allegation.

Quote:
knowingly, and with her permission even when she claimed her daughter was actively being raped by him...becsuse she was feeling a bit under the weather? What were her other four kids up to at that time?
I understood that this had been dealt with by the court and dismissed. Not that it matters at all but I happen to think (based on nothing but a reading of the litany of BS from both sides) that the story was false and was dealt with correctly.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 08:26 AM   #822
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Not at all. I'd still like to know the judge's reasoning behind not summarily charging for this
It seems that in almost all circumstances, judges cannot bring charges.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/p...ringingcharge/

The main exception appears to be contempt of court

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contem...#United_States

which seems to be its own weird thing with its own criticisms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contem...ourt#Criticism

So I guess what you'd really like to know is why someone from the DA's office didn't kool-aid man into this civil trial, waving an indictment and shouting, "stat rape, oh yeah!"

Or maybe part of the duties of a court clerk, at a paternity hearing, is to conscientiously do the math and phone the anonymous tip line whenever the math doesn't work out.

Last edited by theprestige; 2nd July 2022 at 08:29 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2022, 08:50 AM   #823
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It seems that in almost all circumstances, judges cannot bring charges.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/p...ringingcharge/

The main exception appears to be contempt of court

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contem...#United_States

which seems to be its own weird thing with its own criticisms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contem...ourt#Criticism

So I guess what you'd really like to know is why someone from the DA's office didn't kool-aid man into this civil trial, waving an indictment and shouting, "stat rape, oh yeah!"

Or maybe part of the duties of a court clerk, at a paternity hearing, is to conscientiously do the math and phone the anonymous tip line whenever the math doesn't work out.
Abelseth sued for DNA in 2011, and by 2012 it was part of the documentation that the child was a product of a rape, and Barnes the admitted rapist/father. Its not exactly Kool-Aid Man level efforts needed here. Kind of black and white, come to that.

If a man admitted to murdering someone as part of official records, do you think police would be so befuddled about what to do? No, wait: no analogies necessary. If a man admits to statutorially raping an underage girl as part of the public record, how long to we give Louisianian law enforcement to reference their "What to Do When Someone Admits to a Felony on Record" handbook?

Old 3rd July 2022, 11:02 AM   #824
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

If it was easy, it would be a wonderful world..
Old 3rd July 2022, 11:23 AM   #825
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Abelseth sued for DNA in 2011, and by 2012 it was part of the documentation that the child was a product of a rape, and Barnes the admitted rapist/father. Its not exactly Kool-Aid Man level efforts needed here. Kind of black and white, come to that.

If a man admitted to murdering someone as part of official records, do you think police would be so befuddled about what to do? No, wait: no analogies necessary. If a man admits to statutorially raping an underage girl as part of the public record, how long to we give Louisianian law enforcement to reference their "What to Do When Someone Admits to a Felony on Record" handbook?
So someone from the DA's office should be in charge of combing through paternity hearing records, doing the math on each one, and referring the case to the DA any time the math doesn't work out? Or is it still on the court clerk to do the math and phone the DA's tip line to let him know of the malfeasance?

Or you talk about the police being "so befuddled". Which police? The ones attending paternity hearings and doing the math? "Public record" does not mean "instantly downloaded into the brains of every cop and prosecutor in the tri-state area". Someone actually has to peruse the records on a regular basis, looking for indictable offenses, in order to achieve the outcome you imagine should be automatic. I doubt there's a violent crimes unit in any jurisdiction in the country, so unburdened by crimes to investigate, that they're turning to paternity hearing records to pad their numbers.

Last edited by theprestige; 3rd July 2022 at 11:29 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 11:42 AM   #826
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

So someone from the DA's office should be in charge of combing through paternity hearing records, doing the math on each one, and referring the case to the DA any time the math doesn't work out? Or is it still on the court clerk to do the math and phone the DA's tip line to let him know of the malfeasance?

Or you talk about the police being "so befuddled". Which police? The ones attending paternity hearings and doing the math? "Public record" does not mean "instantly downloaded into the brains of every cop and prosecutor in the tri-state area". Someone actually has to peruse the records on a regular basis, looking for indictable offenses, in order to achieve the outcome you imagine should be automatic. I doubt there's a violent crimes unit in any jurisdiction in the country, so unburdened by crimes to investigate, that they're turning to paternity hearing records to pad their numbers.
The teenage girl is the product of a rape. The admitted and confirmed rapist is attempting to gain custody of her.

Really not seeing the Herculean effort needed to hit the brakes on the petition, here.

Old 3rd July 2022, 11:45 AM   #827
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The teenage girl is the product of a rape. The admitted and confirmed rapist is attempting to gain custody of her.

Really not seeing the Herculean effort needed to hit the brakes on the petition, here.
You still haven't explained what exactly the effort should be, or who should be responsible for making that effort.
Old 3rd July 2022, 11:48 AM   #828
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Quote:
The admitted and confirmed rapist is attempting to gain custody of her.
I think that has already happened..

More than once...

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 3rd July 2022 at 11:49 AM.
Skeptical Greg is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 11:50 AM   #829
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

You still haven't explained what exactly the effort should be, or who should be responsible for making that effort.
I'm thinking anyone, anywhere in the process. The judge who approves it. The CPS who signs off on it. A janitor who notices it while emptying the nearby trash can. Literally anybody involved.

This is a lot like a murderer who sues his victim's estate return the gun he dropped at the scene.

Old 3rd July 2022, 11:52 AM   #830
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
I think that has already happened..

More than once...
Yes, that's rather the throbbing huge part of the whole story, here. Literally from the OP title on down.

Old 3rd July 2022, 11:53 AM   #831
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I'm thinking anyone, anywhere in the process. The judge who approves it. The CPS who signs off on it. A janitor who notices it while emptying the nearby trash can. Literally anybody involved.

This is a lot like a murderer who sues his victim's estate return the gun he dropped at the scene.
Indeed. The neglect of the police force concerned should be obvious to all.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 3rd July 2022, 01:30 PM   #832
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Indeed. The neglect of the police force concerned should be obvious to all.
To what end, other than the social justice outrage?
Old 3rd July 2022, 01:37 PM   #833
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"Literally anybody involved" should do what?

What should the judge do? Judges can't bring charges.

What should CPS do? CPS can't bring charges.

What should the janitor do? The janitor can't bring charges.
Old 3rd July 2022, 01:58 PM   #834
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

"Literally anybody involved" should do what?

What should the judge do? Judges can't bring charges.

What should CPS do? CPS can't bring charges.

What should the janitor do? The janitor can't bring charges.
How complicated would you really expect this to be in this pedunk backwater parish with 5 staff?

"Hey, Cletus! Y'all see that this here rapist is a-tryin to get custody of the girl he fathered during the aforementioned rape?"

"Yeah now, Billy Bob, why don't y'all put that file on prosecutor Betty's desk? She'll have constable Bubba put that boy in cuffs before lunch."

Fin.

Old 3rd July 2022, 02:17 PM   #835
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

To what end, other than the social justice outrage?
It may just be about social justice outrage for us voyeurs, but I think the community they represent should be concerned about their blithely ambivalent attitude towards rape.

Not to mention, it hardly seems to be unique nowadays, becoming disturbingly common.
Old 3rd July 2022, 02:39 PM   #836
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

How complicated would you really expect this to be in this pedunk backwater parish with 5 staff?

"Hey, Cletus! Y'all see that this here rapist is a-tryin to get custody of the girl he fathered during the aforementioned rape?"

"Yeah now, Billy Bob, why don't y'all put that file on prosecutor Betty's desk? She'll have constable Bubba put that boy in cuffs before lunch."

Fin.
That right there is just naked bigotry.
Old 3rd July 2022, 03:15 PM   #837
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
It may just be about social justice outrage for us voyeurs, but I think the community they represent should be concerned about their blithely ambivalent attitude towards rape.

They really should be..

I wonder why they don't seem to be.

Maybe adult men consorting with under-age women pretending to be adults is just not a big community concern in this community..

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 3rd July 2022 at 03:16 PM.
Skeptical Greg is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2022, 04:22 PM   #838
bluesjnr

They really should be..

I wonder why they don't seem to be.

Maybe adult men consorting with under-age women pretending to be adults is just not a big community concern in this community..
I think it might have more to do with AOC laws in whatever location they are responding from.

Here in the UK, men consorting with 16 year old would qualify for a level of, dirty old pervert with an associated measure of ickyness. Unless force etc. was used there would be no rape.

Exactly what is needed to earn the 'I'm concerned' card?
Old 6th July 2022, 01:55 AM   #839
LongFuzzy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I'm not quite sure why being incarcerated makes him "the real victim in this case". I mean, maybe he deserved to be there.
He isn't the victim because he's in jail, he's the victim because the girl let everybody think he was the father. Seems like maybe she knew he wasn't the father, but didn't want to admit to being raped (at the time), so just let the boyfriend be the one. And did that have anything to do with his being in incarcerated? Being named as the father could have affected his life negatively, we just don't know. (Yes, this is mostly speculation, but without actual info, that's all we have.)
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2022, 02:19 AM   #840
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

He isn't the victim because he's in jail, he's the victim because the girl let everybody think he was the father. Seems like maybe she knew he wasn't the father, but didn't want to admit to being raped (at the time), so just let the boyfriend be the one. And did that have anything to do with his being in incarcerated? Being named as the father could have affected his life negatively, we just don't know. (Yes, this is mostly speculation, but without actual info, that's all we have.)
Why do people keep saying this ****** Show me where she let anyone, let alone everyone think this?

All she said is that her family assumed this.

But never mind. Take every opportunity to blame the real victim.

Sir Winston Churchill

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events