IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags supreme court decisions

Old 24th June 2022, 10:03 PM   #1
Leumas
Philosopher

I told you so 6 years ago

I have not been on this forum for years... and I am posting now only to remind you all of what I said 6 years ago ... in the light of what just finally happened regarding extirpating women's rights over their bodies and life-trajectory... and more annihilations of human rights are soon to follow.

Originally Posted by Leumas View Post
While we are busy fending off allegations of being "scary nasty mentally damaged totalitarian fundamentalist atheists" hurled at us by Concern Trolls, this stuff is going on:
Vision America's Rick Scarborough was a guest on Gordon Klingenschmitt's "Pray In Jesus Name" program recently, where he explained that God is blessing the state of Texas because "Christians have infiltrated" and taken over the state GOP. Scarborough was discussing his efforts to mobilize right-wing pastors to get involved in politics across the nation and noting that he has had a great deal of success in Texas; so much so that if one now attends an annual Republican Party convention in Texas, it feels as if one is attending a revival meeting.
It is not astrologists nor atheists who are trying to enforce their world view wherever they can.

It is not astrologists nor atheists who are insidiously trying to dominate the "seven mountains of power" and take over the country.

While we argue on forums whether it is insane to debate theists on internet forums, theists are pressing on quietly with their strategic plans.

From Here
The George Grant quote cited below comes from a book he published in 1987 with Dominion Press, entitled The Changing of the Guard. Yes, they have been aiming for this for a very long time. And for a very long time they have worked under the cover of our ignorance. Who could have predicted a few nut cases could ever acquire such influence in our politics and our military? (No apologies to Condoleeza Rice).
"Christians have an obligation, a mandate, a commission, a holy responsibility to reclaim the land for Jesus Christ-to have dominion in the civil structures, just as in every other aspect of life and godliness.
But it is dominion that we are after. Not just a voice.

It is dominion we are after. Not just influence.

It is dominion we are after. Not just equal time.

It is dominion we are after.

World conquest. That’s what Christ has commissioned us to accomplish. We must win the world with the power of the Gospel. And we must never settle for anything less.

If Jesus Christ is indeed Lord, as the Bible says, and if our commission is to bring the land into subjection to His Lordship, as the Bible says, then all our activities, all our witnessing, all our preaching, all our craftsmanship, all our stewardship, and all our political action will aim at nothing short of that sacred purpose.

Thus, Christian politics has as its primary intent the conquest of the land – of men, families, institutions, bureaucracies, courts, and governments for the Kingdom of Christ. It is to reinstitute the authority of God’s Word as supreme over all judgments, over all legislation, over all declarations, constitutions, and confederations."
Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 05:49 AM   #2
dellarte
Illuminator

And?
dellarte is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 06:39 AM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

And you did nothing to stop it?

Shame on you.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 07:29 AM   #4
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I have not been on this forum for years... and I am posting now only to remind you all of what I said 6 years ago ... in the light of what just finally happened regarding extirpating women's rights over their bodies and life-trajectory... and more annihilations of human rights are soon to follow.
Well, ...

Just to focus on this one bit in your posting:

Quote:
World conquest. That’s what Christ has commissioned us to accomplish. We must win the world with the power of the Gospel. And we must never settle for anything less.
Therefore, if you are actually intent on having some sort of Christian take over of the entire world, then you sure do have a great deal more to accomplish.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 07:48 AM   #5
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

If you'll pardon the expression...Jesus Christ, man.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 09:26 AM   #6
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
If you'll pardon the expression...Jesus Christ, man.

No... a mythical Zombified human sacrificed demi-god.... ill begotten by an equally mythical ethnic cleansing slave mongering human sacrifice demanding voodoo rituals prescribing witches proscribing hexed potions commanding misogynistic misanthropic bigoted bronze age tribal deity.
Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 09:28 AM   #7
Crossbow

No... a mythical Zombified human sacrificed demi-god.... ill begotten by an equally mythical ethnic cleansing slave mongering human sacrifice demanding voodoo rituals prescribing witches proscribing hexed potions commanding misogynistic misanthropic bigoted bronze age tribal deity.
[Start Sarcasm Mode]

Why thanks so very much!

That sure clarifies everything.

[End Sarcasm Mode]

Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 09:28 AM   #8
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Well, ...

Therefore, if you are actually intent on having some sort of Christian take over of the entire world, then you sure do have a great deal more to accomplish.

May I suggest that it might behoove you to actually read the stuff you are responding to before you ASSUME things that are not possible to assume had you actually bothered to read the post.
Old 27th June 2022, 09:32 AM   #9
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

So......alt-right?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 09:34 AM   #10
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
And you did nothing to stop it?

Shame on you.

How do you know what I did or did not do to TRY and stop it... just the fact that I posted warnings about it is proof that your statement is abjectly irrational... not to mention what else you have no inkling or possible way of knowing that I did or not.
Old 27th June 2022, 09:35 AM   #11
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

Well, ...

I think you are confusing Leumas with the people he was warning us about...
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 09:39 AM   #12
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
So......alt-right?

Nope... alt-downright turpitudinous.
Old 27th June 2022, 09:43 AM   #13
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
I think you are confusing Leumas with the people he was warning us about...

Exactly... and his confusion stems from not having bothered to read the post.... but yet he felt qualified to comment on what he has not bothered to read.... explains oodles.
Old 27th June 2022, 09:44 AM   #14
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

I'd forgotten how annoying truethat was.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 09:50 AM   #15
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
I'd forgotten how annoying truethat was.

indeed ... but no paucity of his ilk still around here doing the same that he used to do... Concern Trolling for the sake of their cults.
Old 27th June 2022, 09:51 AM   #16
Warp12
Suspended

I don't see this as any greater threat than any other form of extremism that may or may not exist or be largely ignored. It sounds like persecution of a religious group, to an extent, based upon the actions/goals of a relative few.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 11:00 AM   #17
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I don't see this as any greater threat than any other form of extremism that may or may not exist or be largely ignored.

Do you know anything about what is going on in the world right now??? Evidently not an inkling!!!

... It sounds like persecution of a religious group, to an extent, based upon the actions/goals of a relative few.

Do you even know what that word means??? Clearly not!!!
Old 27th June 2022, 11:07 AM   #18
Crossbow

Exactly... and his confusion stems from not having bothered to read the post.... but yet he felt qualified to comment on what he has not bothered to read.... explains oodles.
Well, I did actually read your post. And from what you posted, then it looked to me as if you were in support of those things that you highlighted.

However, when I went back and read your original posting, then I could easily see that you were actually reacting to what someone else was saying.

But in any case, that was my mistake.

Sorry about that! I should have reviewed your original posting before responding to your abridged posting.

Last edited by Crossbow; 27th June 2022 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 27th June 2022, 11:28 AM   #19
Leumas
Philosopher

Well, I did actually read your post. And from what you posted, then it looked to me as if you were in support of those things that you highlighted.

However, when I went back and read your original posting, then I could easily see that you were actually reacting to what someone else was saying.

Bun in any case, that was my mistake.

Sorry about that! I should have reviewed your original posting before responding to your abridged posting.

Old 27th June 2022, 12:21 PM   #20
Warp12
Suspended

See what I mean

I guess I'm not sure what you are conveying?

It seems like you are presenting a post from 6 years ago as being prophetic, somehow? I mean, I don't think your post was a revelation of any sort. I think we all know that the right is not fond of abortion.

As far as the specific references in your post, they seem to be targeted at some rather extreme positions that do not necessarily reflect the views of conservative Christians, in general.

I don't see where you have tied these thoughts and ideas directly into the latest rulings of the scotus. They sound more like conspiracy theory to me, and a general disdain for the Christian right.

Last edited by Warp12; 27th June 2022 at 12:32 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 04:14 PM   #21
Leumas
Philosopher

I guess I'm not sure what you are conveying?

Yes you are!!!

It seems like you are presenting a post from 6 years ago as being prophetic, somehow? I mean, I don't think your post was a revelation of any sort. I think we all know that the right is not fond of abortion

Hahahaha.... wow... could you keep listing the rest of the litany... I am sure you are very familiar with it... why stop at that one... it sure is not the only one you have already checked off.

It seems like you are presenting a post from 6 years ago as being prophetic, somehow? I mean, I don't think your post was a revelation of any sort. I think we all know that the right is not fond of abortion.

Hahaha... that would be the word used by the cult on whose behalf you are doing all this apologetics .... but in rational spheres it is called deducing the outcome of all the machinations and plotting and the legislative nefarious game that was being perpetrated at the level of the SEVEN MOUNTAINS OF POWER.

As far as the specific references in your post, they seem to be targeted at some rather extreme positions that do not necessarily reflect the views of conservative Christians, in general.

I am sure you know that this is what goes on and your statement denying it is dissimulation.

I don't see where you have tied these thoughts and ideas directly into the latest rulings of the scotus. They sound more like conspiracy theory to me, and a general disdain for the Christian right.

Excuse me if I do not take your assertions seriously ... you know that they are not true... especially while you are doing apologetics for a cult whose hero is one who pretends to be all things to all people (1 Corinthians 9:19-23) in order to become a wily fisher of men (Matthew 4:19) and uses crafty guile to catch people (2 Corinthians 12:16) and whose founding fathers said:
Quote:
"How it may be lawful and fitting to use falsehood as a medicine, and for the benefit of those who want to be deceived." -- Eusebius

"What harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie for the sake of the good and for the Christian church ... a lie out of necessity, a useful lie, a helpful lie, such lies would not be against God, he would accept them." -- Martin Luther

"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God" -- Martin Luther
Old 27th June 2022, 07:36 PM   #22
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

We've known about the dangers of dominionism since the publication of The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power by Jeff Sharlett in 2009.

But I'd also like to take another quote out of the thread the OP came from:

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Originally Posted by sylvan8798 View Post
.........Now I suddenly get why some atheists are so militant. ...........
Most aren't, of course, and you might find your transition easier if you take a calm and quiet approach to this. Impress people (IRL) with your thoughtfulness on the subject (if it ever arises), rather than with your emotion.
Also, dominionism isn't a mainstream doctrine in most varieties of Christianity. It's a small minority of evangelical fundamentalists.

Last edited by arthwollipot; 27th June 2022 at 07:37 PM.
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2022, 03:29 AM   #23
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
We've known about the dangers of dominionism since the publication of The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power by Jeff Sharlett in 2009.

But I'd also like to take another quote out of the thread the OP came from:

Also, dominionism isn't a mainstream doctrine in most varieties of Christianity. It's a small minority of evangelical fundamentalists.
The problem is that that "small minority" seems to carry in a disproportionate weight re: administrative policy
Old 29th June 2022, 08:14 PM   #24
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
The problem is that that "small minority" seems to carry in a disproportionate weight re: administrative policy
Yes, because it has been their stated goal to acquire that disproportionate weight for decades now. Acquiring power is literally what they're all about. That's why they're dangerous.
Old 29th June 2022, 08:50 PM   #25
Thor 2
Philosopher

But, but, but, Jesus said:

“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: “Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.” (Matt. 28:16–20.)

What do you think he He had in mind?
Old 29th June 2022, 09:03 PM   #26
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
But, but, but, Jesus said:

“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: “Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.” (Matt. 28:16–20.)

What do you think he He had in mind?
He was telling people to convert the people of all nations to Christianity. Dominionists - specifically, those who believe in Kingdom Now theology - believe that the best way to do this is to put their members in positions of secular power. In particular, the "seven mountains" of government, education, media, arts, religion, family and business. This is not mainstream Christian doctrine. But I think you already know this.
Old 30th June 2022, 03:57 PM   #27
Thor 2
Philosopher

He was telling people to convert the people of all nations to Christianity. Dominionists - specifically, those who believe in Kingdom Now theology - believe that the best way to do this is to put their members in positions of secular power. In particular, the "seven mountains" of government, education, media, arts, religion, family and business. This is not mainstream Christian doctrine. But I think you already know this.

The late Christopher Hitchens, in his book "God is not Great", lists many places in the world where many religions (including various Christian sects), are actively trying to gain secular power for a long time.

One of those places is Ireland where the Catholics were trying to maintain the "No divorce" law (they even brought in the big guns like the lovely Teresa to sway the vote). The move failed however, although only by a very narrow margin.

It is my opinion that they all want to pull others down in the same hole they are in with very few, if any, exceptions. They will all use whatever is available to do this. The reason for this, apart from the directive by Jesus, is to boost the number of folk believing the same tosh they do - thus reinforcing their own belief.
Old 30th June 2022, 06:33 PM   #28
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yes, you could say that the Catholic sorry Roman Catholic Church is the biggest dominionist denomination historically, but they have backed down a lot in the last hundred years or so.

But the difference is that while it is true that most religions want to convert as many people as possible, the Protestant evangelical dominionist sects have a specific and deliberate policy of putting their people in positions of secular power. Most religious denominations - at least in modern developed democracies - do not have this specific and deliberate stated goal. At best they have a kind of general trend in that direction. As a result, the dominionist sects accumulate more power and influence than their numbers would otherwise justify.

As Psionl0 will no doubt reiterate, the problem with dominionism here in Australia isn't that great. We had that one guy whose dominionist sentiments were mitigated by the country's overall progressiveness, and who we ultimately got rid of. America is by far where the dominionists have the most influence.
Old 30th June 2022, 07:26 PM   #29
Leumas
Philosopher

Yes, you could say that the Catholic sorry Roman Catholic Church is the biggest dominionist denomination historically, but they have backed down a lot in the last hundred years or so.

Nope... have you heard of Integralism ... and now allied with Dominionism too.

Do you know how many Roman Catholics are on the SCOTUS???

But the difference is that while it is true that most religions want to convert as many people as possible, the Protestant evangelical dominionist sects have a specific and deliberate policy of putting their people in positions of secular power.

And they have succeeded beyond their wildest dreams chiefly due to lack of opposition to their machinations...

Do you know who Ted Cruz is and who is behind him???

Most religious denominations - at least in modern developed democracies - do not have this specific and deliberate stated goal. At best they have a kind of general trend in that direction. As a result, the dominionist sects accumulate more power and influence than their numbers would otherwise justify.

Exactly that is how power works and how the powerful get it....

You being Australian should be able to appreciate this metaphor.... Do you know how many farmers there are... do you how many sheep there are???

As Psionl0 will no doubt reiterate, the problem with dominionism here in Australia isn't that great. We had that one guy whose dominionist sentiments were mitigated by the country's overall progressiveness, and who we ultimately got rid of. America is by far where the dominionists have the most influence.

Yes... and by controlling America they also control Australia and many others... no???
Old 30th June 2022, 07:58 PM   #30
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Nope... have you heard of Integralism ... and now allied with Dominionism too.

Do you know how many Roman Catholics are on the SCOTUS???
Very true, but this is still a shadow of the power and influence they have had in the past.

And they have succeeded beyond their wildest dreams chiefly due to lack of opposition to their machinations...

Do you know who Ted Cruz is and who is behind him???
Yes, and yes.

Exactly that is how power works and how the powerful get it....

You being Australian should be able to appreciate this metaphor.... Do you know how many farmers there are... do you how many sheep there are???
Yes. I'm agreeing with you here, I'm not sure why you're being so confrontational.

Yes... and by controlling America they also control Australia and many others... no???
I'm not sure I'd use the word "control". There have been times when America said "jump" and we did not stop to ask how high, but I don't think we're at America's beck and call. Though in the past I have been roundly scolded for talking about American cultural imperialism, from my perspective we have been becoming more and more culturally similar to America due to the all-pervasiveness of American popular culture in the English speaking world. I'm not saying that that's a good or a bad thing, just that it is definitely a thing that has been happening over the course of my lifetime.
Old 30th June 2022, 08:24 PM   #31
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
The late Christopher Hitchens, in his book "God is not Great", lists many places in the world where many religions (including various Christian sects), are actively trying to gain secular power for a long time.

One of those places is Ireland where the Catholics were trying to maintain the "No divorce" law (they even brought in the big guns like the lovely Teresa to sway the vote). The move failed however, although only by a very narrow margin.

It is my opinion that they all want to pull others down in the same hole they are in with very few, if any, exceptions. They will all use whatever is available to do this. The reason for this, apart from the directive by Jesus, is to boost the number of folk believing the same tosh they do - thus reinforcing their own belief.

Do not forget that with power they can also precipitate Armageddon more readily... and thus facilitate the rivers of blood red carpet necessary for the return of their zombified human sacrifice.
Old 30th June 2022, 08:26 PM   #32
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Do not forget that with power they can also precipitate Armageddon more readily... and thus facilitate the rivers of blood red carpet necessary for the return of their zombified human sacrifice.
Sure, but remember that Armageddon is by definition a supernatural event, so it can and will never happen.
Old 30th June 2022, 08:32 PM   #33
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post

Exactly... there are very few farmers and billions of sheep... 6 agents pretending to be judges installed in the right place of power have managed to trump (pun intended) the wishes of 247 million people.
Old 30th June 2022, 08:39 PM   #34
Leumas
Philosopher

Sure, but remember that Armageddon is by definition a supernatural event, so it can and will never happen.

Yes... we know that... but not the ones trying to make it happen with all the power they can muster.

Yes... Armageddon will never happen... but WWIII can happen and with those guys machinating and plotting to make Armageddon happen they will cause WWIII to happen instead.

Last edited by Leumas; 30th June 2022 at 09:56 PM.
Old 30th June 2022, 10:24 PM   #35
Leumas
Philosopher

This lady belies your apologetics.... and so do these powerful agents pretending to be judges.

Last edited by Leumas; 30th June 2022 at 10:28 PM.
Old 30th June 2022, 10:36 PM   #36
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

You ought to stop pretending that seven individuals represents a majority. Like I said, these people possess a disproportionate amount of power for being not a majority.
Old 30th June 2022, 10:45 PM   #37
Leumas
Philosopher

You ought to stop pretending that seven individuals represents a majority. Like I said, these people possess a disproportionate amount of power for being not a majority.
You ought to stop strawmanning and misrepresenting what others say... I did not say anything even close to your misrepresentation... and you know that because I just finished telling you ....

Old 30th June 2022, 11:21 PM   #38
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

As I said, I'm agreeing with you. There's no need to be belligerent.

But the point remains that dominionism is still a minority belief.
Old 1st July 2022, 01:34 AM   #39
Warp12
Suspended

I don't think most take Boebert seriously...I certainly don't. I don't personally have an issue with any of the recent rulings by the court, but I understand why some may have concern...within limits. I don't think we are looking at a Christian conspiracy to rule the nation, or world.

Last edited by Warp12; 1st July 2022 at 01:37 AM.
Old 1st July 2022, 01:53 AM   #40
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I don't think most take Boebert seriously...I certainly don't.
and yet, you think she is more of a true Republican than Cheney or Kitzinger.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy