ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th January 2019, 05:32 PM   #201
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
erm... Are these "groups", groups of people?
LOL! It would be an interesting insight into thylacine politics otherwise.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 06:14 PM   #202
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
So, putting those two paragraphs together, there is absolutely no possible way of knowing how far away from Port Arlington a putative/ hypothetical thylacine could have started its journey.
Such a thylacine would still have to start its journey from a location with a putative/hypothetical breeding population. Of which no plausible examples exist.

It's one thing to say that this known thylacine walked over from that known population. It's another thing to say that this hypothetical thylacine walked over from that known population. But once you have to invent hypothetical thylacine populations just to entertain the idea that a hypothetical thylacine walked over from... somewhere? I think Occam would want to start trimming entities.

Last edited by theprestige; 14th January 2019 at 06:25 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 06:48 PM   #203
The Shrike
Illuminator

So uh, is there any information about the photographer? Can we see the original photo? You know, stuff like that.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 11:02 PM   #204
dropzone
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Actually the tail does look anatomically accurate
More or less, leaning toward more though its attachment point looks off.
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The chances of it being a real thylacine are astronomically small.
"Astronomically small?" Not "unlikely" or "I really don't think so?" You are no scientist, sir, speaking in absolutes and leaving yourself no wiggle room Just in Case.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 11:31 PM   #205
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

erm... Are these "groups", groups of people?
Yes. I should have been clearer. They collate reports, talk to witnesses, and do field studies.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 11:38 PM   #206
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
So uh, is there any information about the photographer? Can we see the original photo? You know, stuff like that.
Yeah thatís what Iím also wondering. Where are follow up photos, attempts to find foot prints, droppings and so on? Who is organising more trips to this particular area?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 11:39 PM   #207
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

So uh, is there any information about the photographer?......
He is a local farmer. The sighting may even have been on his own land.

........So . . . tie a sheep to a stake Jurassic Park Tyrannosaur Paddock-style, and ring the thing with game cams.....
It won't work. Thylacines were, it seems, incapable of killing a sheep, having a really weak jaw (despite the enormous, freaky, gape). Nor did they eat carrion, or even return to their own kill. So you'll need to tie a live rabbit or similar to a stake, and hope that a fox or an animals rights lawyer doesn't get there first.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 12:50 AM   #208
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Yeah thatís what Iím also wondering. Where are follow up photos, attempts to find foot prints, droppings and so on? Who is organising more trips to this particular area?
Give him a ring. You're just up the road from him. There can't be too many Peter Groves in Clifton Springs in the local phone book.
Old 15th January 2019, 01:49 AM   #209
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Give him a ring. You're just up the road from him. There can't be too many Peter Groves in Clifton Springs in the local phone book.
Thereís still a phone book? Bugger me.

I will look him up though.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 02:55 AM   #210
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Do foxes have yellow fur and dark stripes across their hindquarters and tail reminiscent of a tiger? No? Then it probably wouldn't be called a "fox", Tasmanian or otherwise. Maybe if it was much smaller and had a short face, big ears, red fur and bushy tail, that might be the case. But it didn't have that.
It's much closer to a fox than a tiger, appearance-wise and biologically.

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
What do you feed your English miniature pug-face wolf in your avatar?
Forum members.
Old 15th January 2019, 04:35 AM   #211
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe he walked over to Clifton Springs from somewhere else. Humans have pretty large ranges.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 06:57 AM   #212
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Recent video of a young thylacine pup. https://youtu.be/3CI3imDk0dE
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 07:00 AM   #213
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Recent video of a young thylacine pup. https://youtu.be/3CI3imDk0dE

Fun fact about thylacines: the male had a pouch in which to hide/ protect his reproductive organs. This was a rarity even amongst marsupials. This little fella obviously hasn't grown his yet.
Old 15th January 2019, 07:59 AM   #214
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
To expand on the above post, please note the words remote and near-impenetrable in the link. Is it reasonable to use these words where the Tasmanian Tiger was sighted? This question has the same answer as should the sighting be taken seriously?
No, it's a semi rural area less than 50 km from the Geelong cbd.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 08:06 AM   #215
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by baron View Post
If it was called a Tasmanian Fox I doubt there would be so much debate. "Yeah, that's probably one of them," people would say, and that would be that. Tiger, though, well... you can't miss one of those.
In reality they looked (hopefully the past tense is eventually proven incorrect) much more like a Jackal than a Tiger, but it was the stripes what got the name...
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 08:13 AM   #216
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

He is a local farmer. The sighting may even have been on his own land.

It won't work. Thylacines were, it seems, incapable of killing a sheep, having a really weak jaw (despite the enormous, freaky, gape). Nor did they eat carrion, or even return to their own kill. So you'll need to tie a live rabbit or similar to a stake, and hope that a fox or an animals rights lawyer doesn't get there first.
IIRC the significantly smaller Tasmanian Devil can actually bring down much larger prey than the Thylacine can, due to having a freakishly high bite force. They usually prey on smaller stuff due to it being much less dangerous though.
Old 15th January 2019, 08:23 AM   #217
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Forum members.
No, they're exactly equally distant biologically. Foxes and Tigers both being Carnivores (That is, members of the clade Carnivora) have a much more recent common ancestor with each other than they do with the Marsupial Thylacine. The most recent common ancestor of all Carnivora lived roughly 40 million years ago, the most recent living ancestor of both Placental and Marsupial Mammals lived roughly 160-190 million years ago.
Old 15th January 2019, 02:07 PM   #218
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
More or less, leaning toward more though its attachment point looks off.
"Astronomically small?" Not "unlikely" or "I really don't think so?" You are no scientist, sir, speaking in absolutes and leaving yourself no wiggle room Just in Case.
If you actually look at what I've written, I have twice used the words "not impossible, but very, very, very unlikely". I am inclined to say "no, it's impossible, they're extinct" but I'm very deliberately not using absolute language. Only a Truther deals in absolutes.
Old 15th January 2019, 02:27 PM   #219
sphenisc
Illuminator

This thread is begging for a poll.

I'm voting for two velociraptors in a thylacine suit.
Old 15th January 2019, 02:27 PM   #220
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

For this to be a sighting of a Tasmanian Tiger there must be several highly improbable things also to be true.
- Tasmanian Tigers exist on the mainland for the last 50,000 years. This is to keep genetic diversity high
- Still exist in isolated pockets
- None of this is documented
- One and only one wonders from an isolated pocket to where it is sighted exactly once
- No traces found
Old 15th January 2019, 02:42 PM   #221
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

For this to be a sighting of a Tasmanian Tiger there must be several highly improbable things also to be true.
- Tasmanian Tigers exist on the mainland for the last 50,000 years. This is to keep genetic diversity high
- Still exist in isolated pockets
- None of this is documented
- One and only one wonders from an isolated pocket to where it is sighted exactly once
- No traces found
Well... An awful lot of Australians go missing every year...

It could be that the surviving thylacines are elite ninja pack hunters.

Anyone who actually sees one, doesn't live to tell the tale.

Maybe some of the bunyips, min-mins and drop-bears are actually thylacines, it's a weird place you know.

Old 15th January 2019, 02:45 PM   #222
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

It could be worse you know, Mexico has enormous packs of roving Chihuahuas...

Quote:
They're like land piranhas, each one takes a tiny bite, but there are so many in the pack...
Old 15th January 2019, 02:47 PM   #223
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

It could be worse you know, Mexico has enormous packs of roving Chihuahuas...
At least piranha are quiet
Old 15th January 2019, 02:50 PM   #224
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

.....- Tasmanian Tigers exist on the mainland for the last 50,000 years......
Their range covered New Guinea and all of the Australian mainland for all of the period you ask about, other than, supposedly, the last few hundred or thousand years. An intact corpse was found a while back in a cave on the Nullabor which was 3000 years old, so they were there until at least that date. The odds on that being the very last mainland thylacine ever is remarkably low, and so there is absolutely no way of knowing when (if, indeed) the last mainland thylacine died.

Further, your story doesn't allow for the reintroduction of the species onto the mainland from Tasmania, which is strongly reputed to have happened in the early 20th century when a concerned individual is said to have trapped some thylacines in Tasmania and released them in Gippsland, Victoria to give the species a chance of surviving the bounty being offered in Tassie.

My interest in thylacine was triggered as a youth living in Perth when I heard of the claimed shooting of a thylacine on an island off Queensland (early 1960s). Whilst other kids were avid dinosaur addicts, I was into thylacine (and cricket, of course). There have been a steady stream of sightings since then, from the mainland as well as Tasmania, and a few of them are particularly difficult to explain away. We used to holiday at Jurien Bay, (West Australia), and so the dozens of reports from that area alone have always captured my interest.

It may well be extinct, and the odds are very much that this sighting is of something mundane. But given thylacine's history, the vastness and emptiness of much of Australia, the regular re-appearance of "extinct" animals in Australia, and sheer childish hope and exuberance, this sighting should be investigated. We can live in hope, if not expectation.
Old 15th January 2019, 02:51 PM   #225
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Regular re-appearance of extinct animals in Australia? I assume you have some evidence of this regularity and aren't just going from a few isolated reports.
Old 15th January 2019, 02:54 PM   #226
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

.......It could be that the surviving thylacines are elite ninja pack hunters.........

They were thought to be lone hunters, and their feeble bite meant they probably couldn't even kill a sheep. That might be enough to see off a few Victorians, but it doesn't explain what happens to all the missing Queenslanders and West Australians.......
Old 15th January 2019, 02:56 PM   #227
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Regular re-appearance of extinct animals in Australia? I assume you have some evidence of this regularity and aren't just going from a few isolated reports.
I'm off.......but yep. Night parrot and other birds, and one or two of those little bouncy jobs that used to cover the outback.
Old 15th January 2019, 03:05 PM   #228
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I'm off.......but yep. Night parrot and other birds, and one or two of those little bouncy jobs that used to cover the outback.
Well, that's authoritative.
Old 15th January 2019, 03:34 PM   #229
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

erm... Stick nest rats? Bilbys? Crest-tailed mulgara? Wondiwoi tree kangaroo?

(admittedly the last one is not all that bouncy)
Old 15th January 2019, 03:39 PM   #230
dropzone
Master Poster

If you actually look at what I've written, I have twice used the words "not impossible, but very, very, very unlikely". I am inclined to say "no, it's impossible, they're extinct" but I'm very deliberately not using absolute language. Only a Truther deals in absolutes.
Er, you did notice that I quoted your own Post 31 before commenting, right?

I'm not much of a scientist, more of a lawyer, but you can't pin me down when you ask if the sun will rise tomorrow. Weasel Words might be my middle name.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 03:44 PM   #231
dropzone
Master Poster

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
These days all but the most primitive digital cameras can shoot in bursts, and most in video as well, and for something like this it's critical. These days with digital cameras, there's little reason not to take a series of shots of anything important, and the reason for not doing so becomes suspicious.
Makes me suspect they don't know how to use their cameras. "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity," or inexperience.
Old 15th January 2019, 03:52 PM   #232
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

You think?

Quote:
Forum members.
He looks happy.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 03:56 PM   #233
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It's much closer to a kangaroo than it is to either.
Old 15th January 2019, 04:16 PM   #234
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
No, they're exactly equally distant biologically. Foxes and Tigers both being Carnivores (That is, members of the clade Carnivora) have a much more recent common ancestor with each other than they do with the Marsupial Thylacine. The most recent common ancestor of all Carnivora lived roughly 40 million years ago, the most recent living ancestor of both Placental and Marsupial Mammals lived roughly 160-190 million years ago.
"Biologically"=/="evolutionarily". It could for example refer to its ecological niche as a hunter of small mammals and birds, or its ethology in terms of its social structure,territoriality etc, or its reproduction for example litter size and frequency.

Even in evolutionary terms they're not the same distance from thylacines. The relevant unit is number of generations, not years. As tigers only start to reproduce after the age of 3-4, and foxes can reproduce after less than a year, there have been fewer generations between thylacines and tigers, so they are evolutionarily closer.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal