ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM   #481
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Nope, Kelly and Apathia have kept missing the symptom I was and am discussing.

And where have I even indicated in the slightest a number of religious folk who suffer from such a symptom? I suspect some folk are a tad paranoid (irony intended) thinking there is a gotcha or something in my posts....
Well, we can discuss all day whether auditory hallucinations can be a symptom of a psychotic disorder, but until we relate it to religious people, it's off-topic for this thread.
Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM   #482
ynot
Philosopher

Regardless of whether or not theists claim they can hear their particular god (but never the gods of others) talking to them, it seems they all talk to their particular god as if it can and does actually hear them. I'd say that's a form of stupidity, if not insanity.
Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM   #483
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
Regardless of whether or not theists claim they can hear their particular god (but never the gods of others) talking to them, it seems they all talk to their particular god as if it can and does actually hear them. I'd say that's a form of stupidity, if not insanity.
I don't think so. If their underlying assumptions are true, then it makes perfect sense to do so. Not that I'm saying that they are, just that it's a logical progression.

There are religions that don't make sense logically, and those that make sense logically but are derived from faulty axioms. Spiritualism, for example, is logically inconsistent. Even if the axioms of spiritualism were true, then its practice still wouldn't make logical sense. Praying is a logical conclusion that is drawn from a faulty axiom - that God exists and is capable of hearing and answering those prayers.

This is what I was saying about some religions being more irrational than others. Was that in this thread? I lose track sometimes.
Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM   #484
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Well, we can discuss all day whether auditory hallucinations can be a symptom of a psychotic disorder, but until we relate it to religious people, it's off-topic for this thread.
Pretty much demonstrated my point for me. You simply dismiss a religious person hearing God's voice in their head as a symptom of an illness, because they are religious. Astonishing.
Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM   #485
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Pretty much demonstrated my point for me. You simply dismiss a religious person hearing God's voice in their head as a symptom of an illness, because they are religious. Astonishing.
No, I acknowledge that someone who is experiencing an auditory hallucination may have a mental disorder, regardless of whether they are religious or not. But I can't diagnose someone - I'm not qualified. That hypothetical person should seek professional mental health care. Regardless of whether they are religious or not.
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #486
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

It depends on how they describe the features of what they're calling a "voice" - if it has a clearly defined acoustical quality of a certain sort, for example, or if they hear it in their eardrums vs "in their heart". Those kinds of things.
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM   #487
Apathia
Illuminator

It's pretty much this, isn't it?

You can't be believing irrational stuff if you're completely sane.
So religious people believing irrational stuff aren't completely sane.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM   #488
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Define "sane". It's another of those terms that doesn't have an official definition in the mental health literature. Besides, "sane" people believe irrational stuff all the time. By your argument, atheists who use alternative medicine aren't "sane" either. The pool of "sane" people is tiny.
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM   #489
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Define "sane". It's another of those terms that doesn't have an official definition in the mental health literature. Besides, "sane" people believe irrational stuff all the time. By your argument, atheists who use alternative medicine aren't "sane" either. The pool of "sane" people is tiny.
I agree. Very , very tiny! Minuscule, in fact.

Author Unknown

Last edited by Apathia; Yesterday at 08:32 PM.
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM   #490
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
It's pretty much this, isn't it?

You can't be believing irrational stuff if you're completely sane.

So religious people believing irrational stuff aren't completely sane.
Is it?
Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM   #491
Apathia
Illuminator

Is it?
Nope!

Author Unknown

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy