ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM   #561
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
According to director of homeland security:
The Department of Homeland Security and the US Secret Service are fully prepared to support and secure the State of the Union. We thank the Service for their mission focus and dedication and for all they do each day to secure our homeland.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/16/home...he-union-.html

Of course, it brings up the question... just because the SotU speach CAN go on, does it mean it SHOULD go on. After all, the people running security are dedicated people, but requiring the workers to go without pay for something that is (at this point) just a big publicity stunt seems like its taking advantage of the secret security staff.
Doesn't matter. Without Pelosi inviting Trump, no speech. The reason she gave was just a polite way of saying as long as your holding the country hostage, were not inclined to give a terrorist a podium.

After all, President Trump is the biggest security risk this country faces.
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM   #562
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Doesn't matter. Without Pelosi inviting Trump, no speech. The reason she gave was just a polite way of saying as long as your holding the country hostage, were not inclined to give a terrorist a podium.

After all, President Trump is the biggest security risk this country faces.
Are you sure? Does she have more to say about it than the senate?
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM   #563
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Yes, Pelosi has that power. The Speaker must invite the POTUS to deliver the speech in the House. He can deliver it from somewhere else or put it in writing.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM   #564
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Yes, Pelosi has that power. The Speaker must invite the POTUS to deliver the speech in the House. He can deliver it from somewhere else or put it in writing.
I for one did not know that

Sent from my LG-K121 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM   #565
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Both houses have to pass a resolution inviting him to speak to a joint session. So, yeah, she (specifically... e.g. The Speaker of the House) has that power.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM   #566
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

100 percent sure.

BOTH have to invite him. So either can prevent it.

Ninja'd by the fool.
Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM   #567
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Both houses have to pass a resolution inviting him to speak to a joint session. So, yeah, she (specifically... e.g. The Speaker of the House) has that power.
Could he try an end-run? Maybe arrange a senate-only speech (with selected house members... i.e. Republicans)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM   #568
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Donnie Jr. is previewing the Trump reaction... "She's a-skeered of letting his daddy address the nation and making his case!"

Yeah, Br'er Democraticus don't want Br'er Fox (nice coincidence) to have a podium. The last time he addressed the nation his approval rating went down by five points and the population thinking Trump (specifically - not "the Republicans") is to blame for the shutdown shut up to over 55%!

"My daddy's gonna beat you up!" Sure, Junior. Go shoot a bald eagle.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM   #569
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Could he try an end-run? Maybe arrange a senate-only speech (with selected house members... i.e. Republicans)

From my understanding...NO.
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM   #570
Bob001
Philosopher

100 percent sure.

BOTH have to invite him. So either can prevent it.

Ninja'd by the fool.
Both sides have to invite him to speak to a Joint Session. But he doesn't have to speak to the Congress at all. For many years the State of the Union report was a document delivered to Congress. Pelosi herself said he could speak from the Oval Office. And the Senate could invite him to their chamber, even if the House locks its doors.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #571
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Both sides have to invite him to speak to a Joint Session. But he doesn't have to speak to the Congress at all. For many years the State of the Union report was a document delivered to Congress. Pelosi herself said he could speak from the Oval Office. And the Senate could invite him to their chamber, even if the House locks its doors.
My guess is if that happens, all the Democratic Senators will boycott the speech and no one wants to really listen to that gas bag anyway.
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM   #572
SezMe
post-pre-born

Here's a question... how come the Democrats (or at least a PAC supporting them) haven't taken out ads on TV showing the video clip of Trump saying he'll take responsibility for the shutdown? Play it on every network Fox News, every hour. Remind people who's responsible for coastguard people not getting paid, and for long lineups at airport security.
That's the only audience that needs to hear it, over and over and over a.......
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM   #573
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My guess is if that happens, all the Democratic Senators will boycott the speech and no one wants to really listen to that gas bag anyway.
I tend to think that, and Pelosi disinviting him, are playing into his hands. It makes THEM look petty instead of Trump. Make him show up and try to explain what a wonderful thing the shutdown is. The fact-checks the next day will be AWESOME.
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM   #574
SezMe
post-pre-born

Those too-late fact checks might warm our hearts but won't be heard inside the GOP bubble.

You make a good argument about looking bad but, all things considered, I'm with Nancy on this one.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM   #575
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I really doubt Trump cares, this is an empty threat to him. He'd rather post 3 a.m. tweets than have a State of the Union anyway.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM   #576
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I really doubt Trump cares, this is an empty threat to him. He'd rather post 3 a.m. tweets than have a State of the Union anyway.
... tweets about Nasty Nancy disrespecting this important, long-standing tradition in our democratic system, and poor, victimized me.
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM   #577
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I tend to think that, and Pelosi disinviting him, are playing into his hands. It makes THEM look petty instead of Trump. Make him show up and try to explain what a wonderful thing the shutdown is. The fact-checks the next day will be AWESOME.
I don't think so. A days news at most.
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #578
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
This is a different Trump than a year ago. He delivered an almost-presidential SoU address but that was when he trusted his advisor corps. By his calculation those same advisors got him pilloried for his Veterans Day stupidity, told him to commandeer the media for an "Important Address" that said/did nothing other than showing how empty the playbook is, and sent him to the border for a dramatic (ho hum) first hand look at The Crisis(!!!), and got him on camera looking at the border folks showing him how easy it is to tunnel under a wall!

He'll get much more enjoyment out of the tweetathon over the disinvitation and playing victim, calling the press "fake news", etc... He's got no one he trusts to write the speech. Miller? Mick? The greenskeeper from his NJ club? If he hands it to an experienced politico it won't have sufficient "Me! Me! Look At Me, Dammit!" If he gives it to Miller he could get a Bible Code of hidden messages to the lunatic right. Mick? Trump's already interrupted him, purportedly saying, "No, Mick. You're just ******** this up." (In the last meet-up with Congressional leaders. Or "Congressional leaders not named Mitch".

Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM   #579
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Poking Trump has been a safe strategy to make him do stupid things.
Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM   #580
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

What is the status of an SoU speech? Is it something that needs to go into the formal congressional record in an acceptable way? If so, would tweeting something REALLY be "official"?

Because if Trump did resort to that, he would be extra-pissed with somebody if Nancy responded with "That's nice. But it's not an SoU presentation. All bets are still on."
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM   #581
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Trump should hold a rally and give the speech to real people, not the Washington elite. Trump is, after all, a man of the people and speaks for them.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM   #582
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Trump should hold a rally and give the speech to real people, not the Washington elite. Trump is, after all, a man of the people and speaks for them.
Maybe to those who are currently furloughed. After all, they are all 100% in agreement with him. Amirite?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM   #583
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
What is the status of an SoU speech? Is it something that needs to go into the formal congressional record in an acceptable way? If so, would tweeting something REALLY be "official"?

Because if Trump did resort to that, he would be extra-pissed with somebody if Nancy responded with "That's nice. But it's not an SoU presentation. All bets are still on."
If Trump sends Congress a postcard, he's fulfilled his obligation and nothing in the Constitution says how often and when POTUS should do this. It simply says:

President “shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient.” Article II, Section 3, Clause 1.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics