ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th August 2018, 10:37 AM   #121
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
Look at the way that guy is screaming in the video and tell me you believe he has the self control to not let his racism affect his actions.
That's actually my point. The guy was out of control, yet not a slur to be heard during the OP video. He said '******* animals', but that could just as well be applied to violent bikers, IMO. No control, but no slurs.

Seriously though, this discussion has jumped the shark. There are posters claiming and defending that by the process of elimination, Sheehan screaming '******* my property' meant that he believed that his real estate was being depreciated. Its become as unhinged as Sheehan. Thermal out.
Old 15th August 2018, 12:13 PM   #122
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Seriously though, this discussion has jumped the shark. There are posters claiming and defending that by the process of elimination, Sheehan screaming '******* my property' meant that he believed that his real estate was being depreciated. Its become as unhinged as Sheehan. Thermal out.
Maybe you'd like to propose an alternative explanation that you find more reasonable, bearing in mind there is no evidence of anyone having done any damage to this man's property.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2018, 12:43 PM   #123
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Maybe you'd like to propose an alternative explanation that you find more reasonable, bearing in mind there is no evidence of anyone having done any damage to this man's property.
Would you entertain this:

He screamed repeatedly that it was 'HIS' neighborhood. Perhaps he is hyper territorial, and considers any outsiders to be destroying his property, even the city owned stuff?
Old 15th August 2018, 12:55 PM   #124
Checkmite

Would you entertain this:

He screamed repeatedly that it was 'HIS' neighborhood. Perhaps he is hyper territorial, and considers any outsiders to be destroying his property, even the city owned stuff?
That doesn't seem unreasonable; although it's perhaps difficult to draw that much from just that one comment. It's not quite the shibboleth that "the n-word" is.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2018, 01:47 PM   #125
Thermal
Illuminator

That doesn't seem unreasonable; although it's perhaps difficult to draw that much from just that one comment. It's not quite the shibboleth that "the n-word" is.
Yes, and we don't really have much to work with except a couple lines from a cop's comments regarding the whole second meltdown.

FWIW, I hear the n-word used all the time here in scenic NJ, albeit with the soft ending. It is used kind of like 'bitch' or 'ass', sometimes in a benign way and sometimes not (only among friends, tho), so I may be downplaying the significance of its use here. I do think its more general use is good for taking away its negative meaning, but I get that it is not exactly in widespread acceptance.
Old 15th August 2018, 01:52 PM   #126
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Why? Their thoughts might be influenced, but do their actions and words have to be? You actually think it's not possible for someone who harbors racist thoughts to behave normally, at least outwardly?
No more than I expect a drunk to behave well at an open bar. I suppose it could happen, but the burden would be on them to prove it.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 07:12 AM   #127
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
No more than I expect a drunk to behave well at an open bar. I suppose it could happen, but the burden would be on them to prove it.
To continue that analogy, I think there are a lot of sober drunks out there who would behave at an open bar. Alcoholics who know that it is bad to be a drunk and don't want to be seen drunk. I think it is perfectly plausible that someone could be stone cold racist, yet keep up an act for appearances sake that they are not.

This guy Sheenan, though...I think he had pretty much lost control in the video and I find it hard to believe that he could deliberately keep racist remarks in check during the filmed tirade, if it was actually fueled by racism.
Old 16th August 2018, 12:18 PM   #128
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

To continue that analogy, I think there are a lot of sober drunks out there who would behave at an open bar. Alcoholics who know that it is bad to be a drunk and don't want to be seen drunk. I think it is perfectly plausible that someone could be stone cold racist, yet keep up an act for appearances sake that they are not.

This guy Sheenan, though...I think he had pretty much lost control in the video and I find it hard to believe that he could deliberately keep racist remarks in check during the filmed tirade, if it was actually fueled by racism.

"We can't be sure it was the two cartons of Marlboros a week that caused the lung cancer. He was known to have bought a pack of Camels once. It's perfectly plausible that they were the cause."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 12:30 PM   #129
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I saw that as him being a bit of a coward. A cowardly racist is not just going to toss around the n-word in the presence of black people, no matter how racist. Once they were gone he felt free to express himself a bit more freely.

But, I can see your reasoning. I respectfully disagree. I also sarcastically disagree and I may flatuantly disagree, depending on my dinner plans.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 09:41 AM   #130
Checkmite

I don't. Screamingly angry doesn't necessarily mean "out of control". For instance, as mad as he was, he never once attempted to hit either of the motorcyclists; he did not bring a weapon, he never himself called police, and so forth. He certainly went out to give them both barrels, as it were, but he never lost enough presence of mind to let the n-word slip while he knew he was on camera. It was only later when the cameras were gone and he believed nobody else was around (or at least, no readily-apparent black people) that he really let the flag fly, using the racist language and becoming violent with street fixtures.
Old 17th August 2018, 09:45 AM   #131
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I saw that as him being a bit of a coward. A cowardly racist is not just going to toss around the n-word in the presence of black people, no matter how racist. Once they were gone he felt free to express himself a bit more freely.
I agree. There are a great many racists with virulently racist views who nevertheless only feel "safe" to make openly racist statements where there's only other white people around. I've been talked at myself by one or two of these.
Old 17th August 2018, 10:01 AM   #132
Thermal
Illuminator

I agree. There are a great many racists with virulently racist views who nevertheless only feel "safe" to make openly racist statements where there's only other white people around. I've been talked at myself by one or two of these.
That's true. The point of being out of control, though, I would think would interfere with worrying about appearances. But very reasonable point.
Old 17th August 2018, 01:11 PM   #133
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

This sort of behavior was very common as far back as the 70s. I would see it often among white construction workers I worked with. This was mainly south of the Mason-Dixon Line. I had the protective coloration (if you'll excuse the expression ) of being an apparent "good ol' boy" from West Virginia.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events