ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags FDR conspiracies , pearl harbor conspiracies , World War II conspiracies

Old 27th April 2014, 03:34 PM   #1921
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Never got to liking American whisky. I'm going to say that the only one I've tried is JD, and compared to the scotch or Irish stuff, it tasted wrong.
I like Canadian, Scotch, Irish, Merkin, and an Italian-made "scotch" labeled as "Crazy Horse", probably with good reason.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2014, 03:17 AM   #1922
catsmate
No longer the 1

Bob, or Mike if you prefer, it's been 12 days since your last post and the refutation of your assertions followed by us moving onto the far more important discussion of whiskey. Do you have anything to actually contribute?
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Mike here! I know, different Mike that you're asking for but I have something relevant to discus. I live near the Maker's Mark distilleries in Kentucky. Awesome stuff, to be sure.
Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
Tried Jim Beam's "Devil's Cut" yet?
Never got to liking American whisky. I'm going to say that the only one I've tried is JD, and compared to the scotch or Irish stuff, it tasted wrong.
To quote my SO's uncle, a semi-retired whiskey taster:
"They make it with corn".
You really need to imagine the contemptuous disdain on the final word there.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2014, 03:53 AM   #1923
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Mike here! I know, different Mike that you're asking for but I have something relevant to discus. I live near the Maker's Mark distilleries in Kentucky. Awesome stuff, to be sure.
I'm not really a hard liquor man save in exceptional circumstance, but I have had occasion to get behind-the-scenes looks at the Maker's Mark distillery (tremendously gorgeous setting) as well as Jim Beam in Loretto, Boston, and Frankfort.

I try to tell visitors that even if they do not care for bourbon, taking at least part of the Bourbon Trail in is a fine thing.
Old 28th April 2014, 03:53 AM   #1924
Gawdzilla Sama

I imagine he wouldn't like some nice fresh corn likker.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2014, 07:22 AM   #1925
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
I'm not really a hard liquor man save in exceptional circumstance, but I have had occasion to get behind-the-scenes looks at the Maker's Mark distillery (tremendously gorgeous setting) as well as Jim Beam in Loretto, Boston, and Frankfort.

I try to tell visitors that even if they do not care for bourbon, taking at least part of the Bourbon Trail in is a fine thing.
Plus you can visit Mammoth Caves while you are there. Watch out for 'dry' counties though.
Old 28th April 2014, 07:25 AM   #1926
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, dry counties can sneak up on you just when it's most inconvenient, but that is not limited to Kentucky.
Old 28th April 2014, 07:26 AM   #1927
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Yeah, dry counties can sneak up on you just when it's most inconvenient, but that is not limited to Kentucky.
I remember how nice it was to reach Kanorado, CO.
Old 28th April 2014, 07:39 AM   #1928
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Plus you can visit Mammoth Caves while you are there. Watch out for 'dry' counties though.
Not something I have to worry about here in Canada - regulation of the sale of alcohol is a provincial responsibility, and no province is going to miss their opportunity to raise tax revenue.
Old 28th April 2014, 10:41 AM   #1929
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
I imagine he wouldn't like some nice fresh corn likker.
Old Corn Likker is better, as long as you don't mind losing your hat

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Not a fan of American Whisky/Whiskey , I find it too sweet.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 28th April 2014 at 10:43 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2014, 10:49 AM   #1930
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Old Corn Likker is better, as long as you don't mind losing your hat

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I like it in whiskey sours; I don't usually drink it straight.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2014, 11:32 AM   #1931
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Only the first few quarts.
Old 11th October 2014, 11:14 AM   #1932
catsmate
No longer the 1

Bumped for Stinett's entry in Encyclopedia of American Loons.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2014, 11:24 AM   #1933
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
Commented.
Old 11th October 2014, 12:36 PM   #1934
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
From the link:

I wonder how many men cheated on their wives because of HEE HAW's filth and lasciviousness?

I'll bet I know of at least one.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2014, 01:09 PM   #1935
Hans
Philosopher

That is quite a blog filled with over the top full fledged nuttiness - delightful.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2018, 02:57 PM   #1936
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Bump for Manifesto's convenience.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2018, 03:01 PM   #1937
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I really,really, miss Gawdzilla. He would have eaten manifesto for Breakfast, and still be hungry..

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2018, 04:59 PM   #1938
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Much as I also wish the fire-breathing one were still posting here, I think we have several people who are perfectly capable of dealing with Manifesto's claims.
Old 7th June 2018, 09:23 AM   #1939
Major Major
Critical Thinker

I just remember informing the Apollo hoax posters, the one who boasted he regularly nailed to the floor Apollo experts with his incisive, clear-cut proofs of a hoax, to do so at the World Science Fiction Convention, where such experts would be available.

For some reason the speakers at the convention spoke and departed unnailed.

Is this a premonition?

Major Major is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2018, 05:02 AM   #1940
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
I just remember informing the Apollo hoax posters, the one who boasted he regularly nailed to the floor Apollo experts with his incisive, clear-cut proofs of a hoax, to do so at the World Science Fiction Convention, where such experts would be available.

Is this a premonition?

Now that is irony, HB's proving their beliefs at a Science Fiction Convention.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2018, 02:29 AM   #1941
bobtaftfan
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I really,really, miss Gawdzilla. He would have eaten manifesto for Breakfast, and still be hungry..
Actually, I caught Gawdzilla in a number of rather bad errors. And go back and read his "answers" on the Hoover-Ladd FBI memos, wherein we read that days after the attack the head of Army Counterintelligence, Col. Bissell, advised an FBI Special Agent "in the strictest confidence" that Army CI had known--from Japanese intercepts--nearly the "complete plans" of the attack on Pearl Harbor several days before it occurred, and that Bissell was very worried about what would happen if the the Army found out that he had revealed this information to the FBI. What makes these memos especially crucial is that they were never intended to be public. No one but Hoover, Ladd, Early, and FDR were supposed to see them.

Defenders of the traditional story have been rather silent about these memos. To dismiss them would seem to require the positing of highly unlikely, unprecedented scenarios.

Last edited by bobtaftfan; 9th June 2018 at 03:03 AM.
bobtaftfan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2018, 11:59 AM   #1942
Major Major
Critical Thinker

Is this a premonition?

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
Now that is irony, HB's proving their beliefs at a Science Fiction Convention.
Where there would be a number of technically skilled and knowledgeable people who would be able to rebut the hoax without breathing hard. I've seen them; it's hardly just fat kids in Starfleet costumes.

Major Major is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2018, 04:22 PM   #1943
bknight
Graduate Poster

Where there would be a number of technically skilled and knowledgeable people who would be able to rebut the hoax without breathing hard. I've seen them; it's hardly just fat kids in Starfleet costumes.

I like the precision that some have in dissecting HB's claims. I have a amassed a fair amount of direct evidence.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2018, 05:53 AM   #1944
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bobtaftfan View Post
Actually, I caught Gawdzilla in a number of rather bad errors. And go back and read his "answers" on the Hoover-Ladd FBI memos, wherein we read that days after the attack the head of Army Counterintelligence, Col. Bissell, advised an FBI Special Agent "in the strictest confidence" that Army CI had known--from Japanese intercepts--nearly the "complete plans" of the attack on Pearl Harbor several days before it occurred, and that Bissell was very worried about what would happen if the the Army found out that he had revealed this information to the FBI. What makes these memos especially crucial is that they were never intended to be public. No one but Hoover, Ladd, Early, and FDR were supposed to see them.

Defenders of the traditional story have been rather silent about these memos. To dismiss them would seem to require the positing of highly unlikely, unprecedented scenarios.

No. Others in the thread pointed out reasons why the memos can't be taken at face value.

Where are the corresponding Japanese transmissions? The FBI memos refer to a Japanese transmission made about Nov 25 that, once translated contained the plans for the attack on PH. The problems with this are:

A. The plans for the attacks on PH, the Phillipines and Hong Kong were not transmitted by radio due to their length (the orders for PH and the Kido Butai went to over 80 pages);
B. The plans were sent out by the Japanese at the beginning of November, not just as the fleet was sailing. The logistics of these operations are not something where they could be made up on the fly;
C. Where are the records of these intercepts that the G2 allegedly translated?

And finally, when governments don't want something made public, they don't make records with relatively low levels of classification. They do it all by word of mouth.
Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
The 12/11/41 Ladd memo also has some interesting details that bobtaftfan seems to have left out of his quote. Right after the part he reproduced, Ladd tells Hoover:
Quote:
A message was sent by Army radio to the Hawaiian islands, setting forth this entire plan for the information of the authorities in Hawaii.

On Friday morning, December 5th, the code words referred to in the previous messages as the signal for the attack were intercepted, which should have indicated that the attack was to be on either Saturday or Sunday, and this information was sent by military radio to the Hawaiian islands.
If these messages existed, they definitely aren't evidence for Washington's foreknowledge of the Pearl Harbor attack that was withheld from Short and Kimmel, since the very FBI memos he's citing say explicitly that the contents of those messages were passed on to the military authorities in Hawaii (ie, Short and Kimmel!). The memo even talks about an inquiry being directed towards "whether the message...was not acted upon by the military authorities [in Hawaii]."

Funny how bobtaftfan left those parts out.

Fail.
Old 14th June 2018, 04:46 AM   #1945
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by bobtaftfan View Post
Actually, I caught Gawdzilla in a number of rather bad errors.

Ehh, no.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories