ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags loose change , roger ebert

Old 14th May 2006, 04:56 PM   #1
HarryKeogh

Roger Ebert's take on Loose Change

Thankfully, the most widely read, watched, and recognizable film critic in the country didn't fall for their nonsense.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=ANSWERMAN

Quote:
Q. Mass media twist the arm of most Americans today because most only know what they see and hear on TV or radio. I do not rely on just mainstream media. I'd like you to review "Loose Change." Considering you are a member of the mass media and since money is probably what motivates you in a day and age of greed and you are too busy of a man to reply to my one e-mail, please watch this online link if you have any real remorse for those lost due to what happened on 9/11.

Kyle Kern, no hometown provided

A. Readers can find the film by Googling "Loose Change video" and clicking on the first link. I have received countless messages urging me to see this film, which essentially charges that 9/11 was a hoax generated by the Bush administration to justify the invasion of Iraq. It questions whether commercial aircraft actually crashed into the Twin Towers, says United 93 may have been shot down by a missile, doubts a plane crashed into the Pentagon, etc. Some of the film's historical information is correct, but its conspiracy theory regarding 9/11 seems cobbled together with a mixture of unsubstantiated speculation, paranoia and pseudoscience.

Bredon Clay of DeKalb, Ill., writes suggesting "Loose Change" believers read an article in the March 2005 Popular Mechanics, which decisively demolishes the conspiracy theories. On the same list are replies to the magazine's arguments. Another widespread conspiracy claim is that United 93 landed safely at Hopkins Airport in Cleveland. If it did, how can we account for the fact that all of the relatives of those on board believe it crashed? What happened to the survivors?
HarryKeogh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2006, 05:22 PM   #2
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Which is a nice, polite way of saying, "Thumbs down!"
Old 14th May 2006, 05:45 PM   #3
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Gene Siskel would've liked it, but the government killed him.

What's the Harm?........Stop Sylvia Browne........My 9/11 links
Gravy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2006, 05:57 PM   #4
Pardalis
Banned

"Kyle Kern", that name sounds made up. And how rude!
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2006, 06:20 PM   #5
milesalpha
Critical Thinker

They got to Roger Ebert too, is there no end to the conspiracy! I look forward to his inclusion in the new CTs.
milesalpha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2006, 07:22 PM   #6
westphalia
Critical Thinker

And folks wonder why the "balcony is closed." The gummint is everywhere.

It's true!
Old 15th May 2006, 11:17 AM   #7
gfunkusarelius
Critical Thinker

i wonder if he is hoping this will stem the spam from CT's. he better set a filter quick
gfunkusarelius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2006, 07:37 PM   #8
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

All I know is that on the loose change forum on the bottom there is this 'Most users ever online was 286 on May 12 2006, 08:50 PM' This means that the forum is growing. Still not quite as big as us YET.
JREF - 'Most users ever online was 809, 5th May 2006 at 09:08 AM.'
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2006, 06:12 AM   #9
gfunkusarelius
Critical Thinker

yeah, have seen several people at my work get all buddy buddy on the CT wagon and LooseChange was sort of like the gateway drug, haha. oh well.
gfunkusarelius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2006, 07:23 AM   #10
Dr Adequate
Banned

Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
Gene Siskel would've liked it, but the government killed him.

Nice.
Dr Adequate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2006, 07:52 AM   #11
Anti_Hypeman
Graduate Poster

This will appear on the cover of LC3E

I .... urging .... to see this film ... 9/11 was a hoax generated by the Bush administration to justify the invasion of Iraq ... United 93 ... shot down by a missile ... the film's historical information is correct.

- Roger Ebert
Anti_Hypeman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2006, 08:00 AM   #12
CurtC
Illuminator

No, film people always take a word or three from the review, and add exclamation points. Like this:

SEE THIS FILM!
- Roger Ebert

UNITED 93 LANDED SAFELY!
- Roger Ebert

9/11 WAS A HOAX!
- Roger Ebert

INFORMATION IS CORRECT!
- Roger Ebert
CurtC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2006, 08:09 AM   #13
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Anti_Hypeman View Post
This will appear on the cover of LC3E

I .... urging .... to see this film ... 9/11 was a hoax generated by the Bush administration to justify the invasion of Iraq ... United 93 ... shot down by a missile ... the film's historical information is correct.

- Roger Ebert
In keeping with the tradition of the video itself.
chipmunk stew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2006, 08:14 AM   #14
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

Footage of people commenting on the film:
"...It blows me away..." (Full quote: "This movie sucks *****! It blows me away how stupid people can be!")
"...Dylan Avery is the best..." (Full quote: "These 9/11 fraudsters are popping up everywhere these days. Dylan Avery is the best example of this I've ever seen.")
chipmunk stew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2006, 08:55 AM   #15
Yllanes
Muse

He also comments on this in his review of The Da Vinci Code

Quote:
I know there are people who believe Brown's fantasies about the Holy Grail, the descendants of Jesus, the Knights Templar, Opus Dei and the true story of Mary Magdalene. This has the advantage of distracting them from the theory that the Pentagon was not hit by an airplane.
and also

Quote:
But one of the fascinations of the Catholic Church is that it is the oldest continuously surviving organization in the world, and that's why movies like "The Da Vinci Code" are more fascinating than thrillers about religions founded, for example, by a science-fiction author in the 1950s. All of the places in "The Da Vinci Code" really exist, though the last time I visited the Temple Church I was disappointed to find it closed for "repairs." A likely story.
Yllanes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2006, 09:10 AM   #16
Arkan_Wolfshade
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Yllanes View Post
He also comments on this in his review of The Da Vinci Code

and also
Okay, my opinion of Ebert definitely went up a couple of notches there.
Arkan_Wolfshade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal