ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags popular mechanics , loose change , debate , amy goodman

Old 11th September 2006, 07:09 AM   #1
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

Pop. Mechanics vs. Loose Change: debate

Amy Goodman, of Democracy Now, hosted a debate today between an editor who worked on the Popular Mechanics book and Dylan & Jason.

http://www.democracynow.org/article..../09/11/1345203
chipmunk stew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 07:16 AM   #2
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I can't listen to that at work, so briefly, and if you don't mind me asking - how did it go?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 07:37 AM   #3
Mancman
Graduate Poster

Sheesh.

Same old misinfo from the Loose Change crew. They were giggling like a couple of schoolchildren at some points.
Old 11th September 2006, 08:05 AM   #4
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

Boring. No Fire in it.

Worthless compared to this classic peace of CT-Tragedy:
http://mp3.rbnlive.com/Stadt/0607/20...adtmiller1.mp3
http://mp3.rbnlive.com/Stadt/0607/20...adtmiller2.mp3

Matthew, donīt listen to it at work if you donīt want
to draw attention to everyone around you because of
your laughs. Seriously.
Oliver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 08:07 AM   #5
Dog Town
Banned

Good lord, Gravy will destroy them. He knows their pet BS! They act like little kids, guess that's what they are. Cell phones? Still! Pathetic. I can smell blood in the water, theirs.
Dog Town is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 08:13 AM   #6
Blackadder_no
Rocket Scientist

Quote mining time!

Jason Bermas: " - Don't believe us."

Don't worry, we don't.
Blackadder_no is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 08:18 AM   #7
Ersby
Fortean

Best quote from the CTers: "I'm not calling anyone a liar, I'm calling you a liar."
Old 11th September 2006, 08:18 AM   #8
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

PM missed a couple of opportunities to smack them down. The Loosers actually brought up Wally Miller, and all PM could say was that it's typical of CTers to use early news accounts when details are sketchy.

They also blew the opportunity to slam them on the cellphones/Airfones issue. When the Loosers admit that a lot of the phone calls were made from Airfones, the immediate response has to be, well doesn't that prove that the calls were actually made, that there were actual hijackers? Get them onto that stupid "vocie-morphing technology" stuff!
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 08:25 AM   #9
carlvs
Critical Thinker

I just came from the "Skepticism, Science and Pseudoscience Group" over on Democratic Underground (yes, there is actually such a group over there) where someone had posted these two clips from the show:

Clip #1
Quote:
LC Guys: If you look at the evidence, as we have, you can't possibly conclude that a commercial jet struck the Pentagon.

PM Guys: Extensive investigation has shown that the impact site and debris field are consistent with a commercial craft striking a hardened military facility.

LC Guys: Oh, come on. You're lying. You're totally totally lying. You're so lying. There's no way that it happened like that. No way.
Clip #2
Quote:
LC Guys: A guy who works for an affiliate of Underwriters' Laboratory confirms that the steel in the WTC wouldn't melt after just a few minutes at 2000 degrees.

PM Guys: Underwriters Laboratory doesn't certify structural steel, so their expertise is limited in this regard.

LC Guys: Very convenient. Very convenient.

PM Guys: Further, the steel didn't have to melt. It would be sufficient to soften just a few cubic feet, weakening it so that it could no long support the weight of the floors above.

LC Guys: Oh, right. Very convenient. One guy who was in the basement of the building said that he talked to someone who thought he heard explosions. Are you calling them liars?

PM Guys: We're just saying that the facts do not bear out a controlled demolition.

LC Guys: You're lying. You're a total liar, you liar. I can't believe how you lie.
I like what this person had to say about this:

Quote:
"Whatever else can be said about their research skills or tenacity in tracking down "the facts," the LC guys come across as pushy, petulant jerks."
(Actually, he didn't use the term "jerks" - but I would likely violate some rule here if I kept in the seven letter word begining with "a"
carlvs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 08:32 AM   #10
Dog Town
Banned

Quote:
They also blew the opportunity to slam them on the cellphones/Airfones issue.
Gravy won't! *licking my chops*
Dog Town is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 08:37 AM   #11
G-K-4
Critical Thinker

This afternoon you will be able to download a recording of today's Democracy Now!. But I remind you that it won't be available until after noon Eastern (North American) Time.

Look for the specific day's "Listen/Watch entire archived show" link. (I can't post URL's here yet.)

Downloadable audio formats are Ogg Vorbis and MP3. Streamable video format is RealVideo. I've also seen better-looking, downloadable video files of Democracy Now! on the ChomskyTorrents website.

I look forward to hearing this! Thanks for the heads-up.
G-K-4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 08:40 AM   #12
mrfreeze
Critical Thinker

The followers claim that the loosers totally won this one. Surprise surprise.
mrfreeze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 08:41 AM   #13
DavidJames
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mrfreeze View Post
The followers claim that the loosers totally won this one. Surprise surprise.
Oh, come on. You're lying. You're totally totally lying. You're so lying. There's no way that it happened like that. No way.

For 15 years I never put anyone on ignore. I felt it important to see everyone's view point. Finally I realized the value of some views can be measured in negative terms and were personally destructive.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 08:42 AM   #14
mrfreeze
Critical Thinker

Sorry, it was the JOOOOOOS that made me lie!

Oh and apparently Colin Powell is now a neocon shill too. Because he has been to bohemian grove a few times. Go figure.
mrfreeze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 08:44 AM   #15
DavidJames
Penultimate Amazing

Oh and apparently Colin Powell is now a neocon shill too. Because he has been to bohemian grove a few times. Go figure.
Can't say much about the grove, but I love the Rhapsody
For 15 years I never put anyone on ignore. I felt it important to see everyone's view point. Finally I realized the value of some views can be measured in negative terms and were personally destructive.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 08:48 AM   #16
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Well he's hardly a politically unbiased source is he?
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 08:58 AM   #17
MarkyX
Master Poster

Just listening to the debate right now..

They are getting owned.

I love how Dylan just laughs at everything, denying the existence of those passengers.
Old 11th September 2006, 09:02 AM   #18
AWPrime
Master Poster

Does anyone got more discussions to download?
Rob Lister - "The enemy of my enemy probably tastes yummy. "
AWPrime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 09:18 AM   #19
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
PM missed a couple of opportunities to smack them down. The Loosers actually brought up Wally Miller, and all PM could say was that it's typical of CTers to use early news accounts when details are sketchy.

They also blew the opportunity to slam them on the cellphones/Airfones issue. When the Loosers admit that a lot of the phone calls were made from Airfones, the immediate response has to be, well doesn't that prove that the calls were actually made, that there were actual hijackers? Get them onto that stupid "vocie-morphing technology" stuff!
I agree. Dylan & Jason won the debate (in the political sense). While PM had vastly more facts correct, they weren't very convincing in presenting them--they merely stated them without giving much insight into where they came from. The Loose Change boys, in contrast, were aggressively confident in their misstatements and had infinitely slicker soundbiteyness. They played to their base very well.

When Gravy gets them in front of a camera, though, having scrutinized not merely what they claim but also how they operate, and having facts and counterarguments at his fingertips and a knack for expressing them convincingly, it will be an entirely different story.
chipmunk stew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 09:52 AM   #20
G-K-4
Critical Thinker

1.) When and where will this debate be held between the Loosers and "Gravy"? If it's not too far, I think I might like to see it.

2.) RE: Bohemian Grove, Sociology Professor G. William Domhoff doesn't believe in conspiracy theories. In fact, he even has an article on his website that is titled "There Are No Conspiracies", and he sees that Bohemian Grove is not a conspiracy. "It's an Elks Club for the rich; a fraternity party in the woods; a boy scout camp for old guys, complete with an initiation ceremony and a totem animal, the owl." He has a rather long article about them on his website.

I can't post URL's yet, but here's a try:
sociology-dot-ucsc-dot-edu-
slash-whorulesamerica-
slash-power-
slash-bohemian_grove-dot-html
G-K-4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 09:54 AM   #21
chran
Muse

The debate is on YouTube:

Part 1, part 2, part 3, and part 4.

Dylan and Jason comes off as arrogant and bitchy. Snorting, shaking their heads, basically acting like children.

Last edited by chran; 11th September 2006 at 10:55 AM. Reason: direct links to YouTube
chran is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 10:24 AM   #22
Ramooone
Thinker

hahaha, this is so funny.
on flt93
Jason: "To this day the coroner says he didnt find any body parts"
PM editor: "did you talk to him?"
Jason: "he wont talk to us"

"an astronomer tried to outwit a police officer by using the doppler affect, having been caught jumping a red light, the astronomer argued that the light appeared green to him because he was moving towards it and it blueshifted. the police office excused him of the red light ticket and promptly wrote him a speeding ticket."
Ramooone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 11:03 AM   #23
TobiasTheViking
Resident Viking Autist

Ok, i feel dirty now for being around the same age as them.

I feel very bad about it. the way they snort and interrupt(especially in part4 during the holocaust and evolution thing).
Old 11th September 2006, 11:18 AM   #24
TobiasTheViking
Resident Viking Autist

also, guess what the uploader who states THIS in his profile

Quote:
This YouTube account was created specifically to expose and fight the onslaught of propaganda the mainstream media is using against the 9/11 truth movement. This campaign of hatred and ignorance increased greatly during mid-summer 2006, due to a poll that showed over a third of Americans suspected government deception on 9/11/01.

I will also use this to expose the agenda these networks have to gain acceptance from the masses for another major war.

It's cliche, but knowing is seriously half the battle.

Educate yourselves and all those around you.
erased my posts, just because they didn't agree with his points..

How is that for being a hypocrit.
Old 11th September 2006, 11:24 AM   #25
TK0001
Muse

Originally Posted by G-K-4 View Post
1.) When and where will this debate be held between the Loosers and "Gravy"? If it's not too far, I think I might like to see it.
Ditto. I haven't heard of this yet....
Old 11th September 2006, 11:31 AM   #26
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TK0001 View Post
Ditto. I haven't heard of this yet....
For the time being, it's merely a gentlemen's agreement:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=63534

In which case, we're probably putting the cart before the horse, since there's little evidence that the Loose Change boys are gentlemen.
Old 11th September 2006, 11:46 AM   #27
ryanebelhar
Thinker

what is "perfect freefall"?
ryanebelhar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 11:56 AM   #28
TK0001
Muse

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ryanebelhar View Post
what is "perfect freefall"?
See: speed of gravity.
Old 11th September 2006, 11:57 AM   #29
Ramooone
Thinker

whenever dylan talks he's just speaking parts of his movie in vebatim like a robot. jason is a hot-headed little jerk. I think this really shows how immature these kids are, and how the "truth" movement is a bunch of crap.

"an astronomer tried to outwit a police officer by using the doppler affect, having been caught jumping a red light, the astronomer argued that the light appeared green to him because he was moving towards it and it blueshifted. the police office excused him of the red light ticket and promptly wrote him a speeding ticket."
Ramooone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 11:58 AM   #30
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ersby View Post
Best quote from the CTers: "I'm not calling anyone a liar, I'm calling you a liar."
Anybody remember Bermas claiming at Ground Zero on 9/11/05 that he wasn't with anybody else, that he didn't know any of the people there? Meanwhile, standing right next to him is Dylan Avery and filming the whole thing is Korey Rowe.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 12:01 PM   #31
juryjone
Refusing to be confused by facts

This was a thoroughly disgusting spectacle. Clips from LC and half-witted responses from Dylan and his attack dog took up at least three quarters of the 40 minutes.

This is how the "debate" seemed to run:

2 minute LC clip showing knee-jerk reactions of witnesses and correspondents immediately following the disaster.

PM guys tell how subsequent research shows the immediate reactions were ill-informed.

Jason calls them liars and changes the subject.

Dylan asks to "interject" on the new subject.

Repeat ad infinitum.

I think the PM guys came across very well. However, in the WWF style of "debate" that seems to be the norm these days, I think they "lost". He who yells loudest wins in these kinds of things.
Old 11th September 2006, 12:17 PM   #32
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I told you folks this was going to happen.

From the snippets posted here, it looks like all the LC guys did was a hit-and-run misinformation dump. They go from "UL certified the steal" to "a guy in the basement heard explosions" in a heartbeat.

As I said before it ever happened, you can't let this be a free for all. Pick a topic, a very narrow topic, and stick with it. "The WTC fell by a CD" is far too broad to discuss in any meaningful way in a limited time period.
Old 11th September 2006, 12:20 PM   #33
TK0001
Muse

Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Boring. No Fire in it.

Worthless compared to this classic peace of CT-Tragedy:
http://mp3.rbnlive.com/Stadt/0607/20...adtmiller1.mp3
http://mp3.rbnlive.com/Stadt/0607/20...adtmiller2.mp3

Matthew, donīt listen to it at work if you donīt want
to draw attention to everyone around you because of
your laughs. Seriously.
I'm about halfway through the first one.

One question.....what the hell is this?
Old 11th September 2006, 12:53 PM   #34
TruthSeeker1234
Banned

Interesting PM will debate the kids, but have refused to debate grownups like Jones, Fetzer, et al. Anybody in this forum wish to defend the official story at the National 9/11 debate. Takers?
TruthSeeker1234 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 12:56 PM   #35
TK0001
Muse

Originally Posted by TruthSeeker1234 View Post
Interesting PM will debate the kids, but have refused to debate grownups like Jones, Fetzer, et al. Anybody in this forum wish to defend the official story at the National 9/11 debate. Takers?
What the hell is "the National 9/11 debate"?
Old 11th September 2006, 01:46 PM   #36
chran
Muse

Torrent

Also, here's a link to a torrent of the file.

http://www.chomskytorrents.org/Torre...TorrentID=1901

The file is an .mp4-file, encoded in mp4v @ 576x432, 0:59:05 in length. Good quality. Playable in VLC-player. The debate starts about 16 minutes in.

I'll be seeding all night (that's for at least the next 8 hours for you non-Europeans). At the moment there are 44 seeds and 40 peers, so should be fast. I downloaded at around 100 kB/s.
chran is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2006, 01:47 PM   #37
TK0001
Muse

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by chran View Post
I'll be seeding all night
De-sgusting.
Old 11th September 2006, 01:49 PM   #38
chran
Muse

Originally Posted by TK0001 View Post
De-sgusting.
Yeah, guess I should suppress it, huh?
Old 11th September 2006, 02:00 PM   #39
TobiasTheViking
Resident Viking Autist

as of now i'm seeding on a 25/25mbit line.(well, my home line)
Old 11th September 2006, 02:01 PM   #40
Mr. Skinny
Alien Cryogenic Engineer

As the father of a couple of 20 something children myself, I'm wondering how the parents of this dynamic duo feel?

If this was my son, I'm afraid I'd smack him across the face and tell him to stop besmirching my good name by spreading this crapola. At minimum, I'd ask him to change his last name. Yech!
"Deities do not organize, they command." - Hokulele
Mr. Skinny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories