ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th March 2009, 08:14 PM   #1
Thunder
Banned

Good friend into "The Obama Deception"

he has posted the video on Facebook. he says "everyone should look at all points of view".

i like my friend..but i hate this ****. it upsets me that a friend is into this ****.

what do i tell him? what do i do?

i mean, he has emotional problems. he never graduated from school. he lives at home. he is now unemployed, he is a starving artist type...with a real problem socializing well and in an adult fashion.

but still, it makes me mad to see anyone i know getting into this garbage. ugg.

Last edited by Thunder; 15th March 2009 at 08:15 PM.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2009, 08:51 PM   #2
zaphod2016
Graduate Poster

parky76:

Go find 3 false claims made in the Obama deception. Write them here and I'll help you debunk them. Then point your friend to this thread.
zaphod2016 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2009, 12:28 AM   #3
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Try to figure out which part he's interested in. It's got the long usual stuff about the bankers and the Bilderbergers, which if he's into you've got serious problems, but if he's just into the stuff about "Obama lied about getting out of Iraq," etc., it's just politics. I haven't really seen anything terribly scurrilous in the film about Obama himself, just implications that he's a politician. Stop the presses!

I watched the first hour or so and Jones doesn't get into the Birther nonsense (never mind he highlights it as gospel with guests like Phil Berg and Jerome Corsi), hasn't delved into Bill Ayers or Reverend Wright. Heck, compared to some of the stuff the Republicans came up with against Obama, Jones seems to be pulling his punches. He does bring up Rahm Emanuel's national service idea and Obama's civilian defense force noodling.

Like I said, a lot of it is Jones' standard paranoia about the Bilderbergers; I believe there was almost 20 minutes where Obama's name was mentioned only once or twice.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2009, 07:00 PM   #4
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by zaphod2016 View Post
parky76:

Go find 3 false claims made in the Obama deception. Write them here and I'll help you debunk them. Then point your friend to this thread.

Finally made it through. Here's one, and i really LOLed: 64:53 min in, our top researcher rants about private central banking: "you know, it's in the Communist Manifesto to have a private central bank, because the private central bankers actually wrote the ideas they had Marx and Engels put up."

No, Alex, it isn't. The Manifesto is all over the internet, so those who haven't read it can easily do their own research, if they dare, while those who did ROFL. Here's what they say at the end of Chapter II, describing the measures the "dictatorship of the proletariat" should take to bring about communism:

Quote:
The proletariat will use its political supremacy to wrest, by degree, all capital from the bourgeoisie, to centralise all instruments of production in the hands of the State, i.e., of the proletariat organised as the ruling class; and to increase the total productive forces as rapidly as possible.

and number 5 of their proclaimed measures is:

Quote:
5. Centralisation of credit in the hands of the state, by means of a national bank with State capital and an exclusive monopoly.

Take that, Alex, a few sentences later:

In place of the new world order old bourgeois society, with its satanic banking elite and their subserviant sheeple classes and class antagonisms, we shall have an association, in which the free development of each is the condition for the free development of all.
Alex Jones Manifesto of the Communist Party

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 16th March 2009 at 07:02 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2009, 07:26 PM   #5
Thunder
Banned

i fear he will not read anything at JREF to debunk what Alex Jones says. But I will give him this link. Thanks guys.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2009, 02:07 AM   #6
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by parky76 View Post
i mean, he has emotional problems. he never graduated from school. he lives at home. he is now unemployed, he is a starving artist type...with a real problem socializing well and in an adult fashion.
Ah, a conspiracy theorist.

You could just say "conspiracy theorist". it saves you summing up the entire psychological profile every time.

Sorry for the joke Parky. It seems you really care about this guy.

I guess the way to handle it is to not get emotional and simply say "I disagree". Then present your evidence in a neutral manner.
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2009, 06:18 AM   #7
Ohnoes
Critical Thinker

That really sucks Parky, but I have been in the same boat for almost 2 years now. Granted this isn't like my best friend, but it's a guy I've hung out with for years. What is interesting is some of the issues you said your buddy has are pretty much the opposite from my buddy except for the emotional issues.

I know I'm not onto anything new here, but I seriously believe people with social disorders are targets for Jones and CT peddlers because they are easily convinced that they have been "asleep" and the reason they have been shunned is because they are special and more aware of the world.
Ohnoes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2009, 10:11 AM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Finally made it through. Here's one, and i really LOLed: 64:53 min in, our top researcher rants about private central banking: "you know, it's in the Communist Manifesto to have a private central bank, because the private central bankers actually wrote the ideas they had Marx and Engels put up."

No, Alex, it isn't. The Manifesto is all over the internet, so those who haven't read it can easily do their own research, if they dare, while those who did ROFL. Here's what they say at the end of Chapter II, describing the measures the "dictatorship of the proletariat" should take to bring about communism:

and number 5 of their proclaimed measures is:

Take that, Alex, a few sentences later:

In place of the new world order old bourgeois society, with its satanic banking elite and their subserviant sheeple classes and class antagonisms, we shall have an association, in which the free development of each is the condition for the free development of all.
Alex Jones Manifesto of the Communist Party

I am not sure what the CP adovocates is much different then what Alex Jones fears except in rhetoric.
Jones is a supreme nutcase, but if what he said is true I would be opposed to it also.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2009, 10:29 AM   #9
JamesB
Master Poster

That is pretty much what I thought, it was more of just the Fed conspiracy stuff, not that much on Obama himself. I find it amusing that they criticize the Fed for "manipulating the currency", but then want to put this power under the direct control of the president. Oh you think it is political now, just wait until you have the president jacking interest rates around anytime he wants.

My favorite parts is where they make some wild claims about things like FEMA concentration camps, and then as proof they show a screenshot... from PrisonPlanet, for the ultimate in circular logic.
I said lots of things in NPH that I would not say today and that I did not repeat in NPHR, where I specifically corrected at least some of the errors I had made in that earlier book, written 5 years ago.
-David Ray Griffin-
JamesB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2009, 08:47 PM   #10
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals

YAWN...how long have these internment camp bunkitudes been flying around?
Old 17th March 2009, 10:38 PM   #11
zaphod2016
Graduate Poster

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but the film is a snore.

There are many, many valid criticisms to be made regarding our President. And as his poll numbers continue to slip, I am sure new scandals and controversies will come to light. But I saw nothing in this documentary that wasn't a) already covered exhaustively on the campaign trail or b) gross generalization that is more opinion than debunk-able falsehood or c) complete nonsense provided without any credible sources.

A ground-breaking documentary unmasking the betrayal of the US by Obama- released 2 months into his presidency? Give me a break! Did we get the goods on Bush in March 01? What were the anti-Clintonistas working with in March '93? Everyone knows the GOOD stuff doesn't come to the surface for awhile yet.

We're not going to understand the full effects of recent events for years, probably decades, and even then debates will rage over whether Obama fixed the economy, or postponed its recovery.

And what really KILLS me about these anti-Obama nutjobs is that they feed the false-paradigm that anyone in opposition to any Obama policy must be a bible-thumping, gun-totin', right-wing wacko. It makes it all to easy to discredit legitimate grievances.
zaphod2016 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2009, 10:43 PM   #12
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals

These hacks would be spewing this no matter who was President. If Kucinich or FSM forbid Ron Paul somehow happened to get elected, they would be magically indicted into the "gwand conspiwacee."

Bunch of kids who detest authority figures of any sort, from the cop who gave them a speeding ticket at 17 to the Secret Service personnel telling them to go across the street due to the secure perimeter in place all grown up and bellyaching about anyone who holds the reins of power.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories