ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th May 2019, 01:24 AM   #1
Pixie of key
Master Poster

F. Stefani et al. A Model of a Tidally Synchronized Solar Dynamo

Study corroborates the influence of planetary tidal forces on solar activity

https://phys.org/news/2019-05-corrob...dal-solar.html

"In principle, it is not unusual for the magnetic activity of a star like the sun to undergo cyclic oscillation. And yet past models have been unable to adequately explain the very regular cycle of the sun. The HZDR research team has now succeeded in demonstrating that the planetary tidal forces on the sun act like an outer clock, and are the decisive factor behind its steady rhythm. To accomplish this result, the scientists systematically compared historical observations of solar activity from the last thousand years with planetary constellations, statistically proving that the two phenomena are linked. "There is an astonishingly high level of concordance: what we see is complete parallelism with the planets over the course of 90 cycles," said Frank Stefani, lead author of the study. "Everything points to a clocked process.""

Is this ok for today physics?

For today model an atoms?

🤔

"Math without words is meaningless.
Words without math can have meaning."
by Maartenn100
Pixie of key is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 03:00 AM   #2
JeanTate
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Pixie of key View Post
Study corroborates the influence of planetary tidal forces on solar activity

https://phys.org/news/2019-05-corrob...dal-solar.html

"In principle, it is not unusual for the magnetic activity of a star like the sun to undergo cyclic oscillation. And yet past models have been unable to adequately explain the very regular cycle of the sun. The HZDR research team has now succeeded in demonstrating that the planetary tidal forces on the sun act like an outer clock, and are the decisive factor behind its steady rhythm. To accomplish this result, the scientists systematically compared historical observations of solar activity from the last thousand years with planetary constellations, statistically proving that the two phenomena are linked. "There is an astonishingly high level of concordance: what we see is complete parallelism with the planets over the course of 90 cycles," said Frank Stefani, lead author of the study. "Everything points to a clocked process.""

Is this ok for today physics?

For today model an atoms?

🤔
You mean Stefani+ (2019) (link is to arXiv abstract), with the title "A model of a tidally synchronized solar dynamo"?
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 04:55 AM   #3
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

So when several planets line up, their combined gravitational pull 'sucks' solar flares in their direction?

Did I get that right from the OP?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 03:02 PM   #4
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

First impressions? I could be wrong, but this looks a lot like Electric Universe bunk to me.
Old 2nd June 2019, 03:19 PM   #5
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
First impressions? I could be wrong, but this looks a lot like Electric Universe bunk to me.

Uh, no. Where do you think you see that? They are describing a gravitational effect.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 03:51 PM   #6
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Uh, no. Where do you think you see that? They are describing a gravitational effect.
OK. I thought the were describing an electromagnetic effect... "solar dynamo"

In the standard scenario of a dynamo, the rotation of the sun and the complex motion of the solar plasma create a cyclically changing magnetic field. Two effects interact here: the plasma rotates more quickly at the sun's equator than at the poles. This leads to the omega effect: the magnetic field lines frozen in the plasma stretch around the sun and convert the magnetic field into a field aligned almost parallel to the sun's equator. The alpha effect describes a mechanism that twists magnetic field lines, forcing the magnetic field back into a north-south direction.

I have to admit that solar physics is not something I have ever taken much interest in, but given the fact that the sun contains around 99.85% of the mass of the solar system, I can't see how the combined mass of the Earth, Venus and Jupiter: less than 0.1% of the sun's s mass, can have any measurable gravitational effect on it.
Old 2nd June 2019, 03:55 PM   #7
JeanTate
Master Poster

Why not wait to hear from the OP?

Discussion of the paper could be interesting, for several reasons; however I very much doubt anyone will confuse this with the anti-science Electric Universe nonsense.
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 04:06 PM   #8
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
Why not wait to hear from the OP?

Discussion of the paper could be interesting, for several reasons; however I very much doubt anyone will confuse this with the anti-science Electric Universe nonsense.
The OP, right, OK.

Does the expression "body of work" come to mind?
Old 2nd June 2019, 04:20 PM   #9
JeanTate
Master Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The OP, right, OK.

Does the expression "body of work" come to mind?
Indeed.

The lead author has quite a few publications, in plasma physics, and a smaller number in solar physics. The other two authors are also often co-authors with Stefani.

In arXiv, the paper the OP seems to be referring to (no confirmation yet) has gone through six versions before (apparently) being accepted. Thatís unusual, in my experience. But what it implies I really donít know.

Is it possible that the OP doesnít really understand what this paper is about?
Old 2nd June 2019, 08:42 PM   #10
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed.

The lead author has quite a few publications, in plasma physics, and a smaller number in solar physics. The other two authors are also often co-authors with Stefani.

In arXiv, the paper the OP seems to be referring to (no confirmation yet) has gone through six versions before (apparently) being accepted. Thatís unusual, in my experience. But what it implies I really donít know.
On further reading (I didn't initially see the other link) it seems legit

Is it possible that the OP doesnít really understand what this paper is about?
His statement/question "Is this ok for today physics? For today model an atoms?" gives me some pause for thought. I have my suspicions as to what he thinks he understands about this, given his body of work, especially in the "One simple principle predicting the flow of Dark?" nonsense thread.
Old 2nd June 2019, 08:46 PM   #11
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Indeed.Is it possible that the OP doesnít really understand what this paper is about?
It's possible.
Old 3rd June 2019, 02:54 PM   #12
WhatRoughBeast
Graduate Poster

It's a fascinating idea.

Of course, since sunspot cycles span from 9 to 14 years, any theory is going to have some 'splaining to do.

And, according to Wikipedia, the average cycle length for the past 300 years is 10.7 years.

But I'd love to see the paper.
WhatRoughBeast is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 03:45 PM   #13
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WhatRoughBeast View Post
It's a fascinating idea.

Of course, since sunspot cycles span from 9 to 14 years, any theory is going to have some 'splaining to do.

And, according to Wikipedia, the average cycle length for the past 300 years is 10.7 years.

But I'd love to see the paper.
So how does the 9-14/10.7 years match with the planets being aligned?

And if so, does having more planets aligned make for climate cycles too? With all the different orbits, how often are all 8 planets aligned? Time to consult an astrologer?

And do all alignedplanets haveto be on one side of the sun? Or would it behave like earth tides when the moon is opposite the sun- a minor high tide ?

Last edited by casebro; 4th June 2019 at 03:50 PM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology