ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 30th May 2019, 01:24 AM   #1
Pixie of key
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,100
F. Stefani et al. A Model of a Tidally Synchronized Solar Dynamo

Study corroborates the influence of planetary tidal forces on solar activity

https://phys.org/news/2019-05-corrob...dal-solar.html

"In principle, it is not unusual for the magnetic activity of a star like the sun to undergo cyclic oscillation. And yet past models have been unable to adequately explain the very regular cycle of the sun. The HZDR research team has now succeeded in demonstrating that the planetary tidal forces on the sun act like an outer clock, and are the decisive factor behind its steady rhythm. To accomplish this result, the scientists systematically compared historical observations of solar activity from the last thousand years with planetary constellations, statistically proving that the two phenomena are linked. "There is an astonishingly high level of concordance: what we see is complete parallelism with the planets over the course of 90 cycles," said Frank Stefani, lead author of the study. "Everything points to a clocked process.""

Is this ok for today physics?

For today model an atoms?

🤔
__________________
http://www.onesimpleprinciple.com/l4

"Math without words is meaningless.
Words without math can have meaning."
by Maartenn100
Pixie of key is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 03:00 AM   #2
JeanTate
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,602
Originally Posted by Pixie of key View Post
Study corroborates the influence of planetary tidal forces on solar activity

https://phys.org/news/2019-05-corrob...dal-solar.html

"In principle, it is not unusual for the magnetic activity of a star like the sun to undergo cyclic oscillation. And yet past models have been unable to adequately explain the very regular cycle of the sun. The HZDR research team has now succeeded in demonstrating that the planetary tidal forces on the sun act like an outer clock, and are the decisive factor behind its steady rhythm. To accomplish this result, the scientists systematically compared historical observations of solar activity from the last thousand years with planetary constellations, statistically proving that the two phenomena are linked. "There is an astonishingly high level of concordance: what we see is complete parallelism with the planets over the course of 90 cycles," said Frank Stefani, lead author of the study. "Everything points to a clocked process.""

Is this ok for today physics?

For today model an atoms?

🤔
You mean Stefani+ (2019) (link is to arXiv abstract), with the title "A model of a tidally synchronized solar dynamo"?
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2019, 04:55 AM   #3
casebro
Penultimate Amazing
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,537
So when several planets line up, their combined gravitational pull 'sucks' solar flares in their direction?

Did I get that right from the OP?
__________________
Great minds discuss ideas.
Medium minds discuss events.
Small minds spend all their time on U-Tube and Facebook.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 03:02 PM   #4
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 11,632
First impressions? I could be wrong, but this looks a lot like Electric Universe bunk to me.
__________________
#THEYAREUS
The Mueller Report must be released to Congress in full - If Trump has nothing to hide, then he should also have nothing to fear!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 03:19 PM   #5
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,732
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
First impressions? I could be wrong, but this looks a lot like Electric Universe bunk to me.

Uh, no. Where do you think you see that? They are describing a gravitational effect.
__________________
REJ (Robert E Jones) posting anonymously under my real name for 30 years.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 03:51 PM   #6
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 11,632
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Uh, no. Where do you think you see that? They are describing a gravitational effect.
OK. I thought the were describing an electromagnetic effect... "solar dynamo"

In the standard scenario of a dynamo, the rotation of the sun and the complex motion of the solar plasma create a cyclically changing magnetic field. Two effects interact here: the plasma rotates more quickly at the sun's equator than at the poles. This leads to the omega effect: the magnetic field lines frozen in the plasma stretch around the sun and convert the magnetic field into a field aligned almost parallel to the sun's equator. The alpha effect describes a mechanism that twists magnetic field lines, forcing the magnetic field back into a north-south direction.

I have to admit that solar physics is not something I have ever taken much interest in, but given the fact that the sun contains around 99.85% of the mass of the solar system, I can't see how the combined mass of the Earth, Venus and Jupiter: less than 0.1% of the sun's s mass, can have any measurable gravitational effect on it.
__________________
#THEYAREUS
The Mueller Report must be released to Congress in full - If Trump has nothing to hide, then he should also have nothing to fear!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 03:55 PM   #7
JeanTate
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,602
Why not wait to hear from the OP?

Discussion of the paper could be interesting, for several reasons; however I very much doubt anyone will confuse this with the anti-science Electric Universe nonsense.
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 04:06 PM   #8
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 11,632
Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
Why not wait to hear from the OP?

Discussion of the paper could be interesting, for several reasons; however I very much doubt anyone will confuse this with the anti-science Electric Universe nonsense.
The OP, right, OK.

Does the expression "body of work" come to mind?
__________________
#THEYAREUS
The Mueller Report must be released to Congress in full - If Trump has nothing to hide, then he should also have nothing to fear!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 04:20 PM   #9
JeanTate
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,602
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The OP, right, OK.

Does the expression "body of work" come to mind?
Indeed.

The lead author has quite a few publications, in plasma physics, and a smaller number in solar physics. The other two authors are also often co-authors with Stefani.

In arXiv, the paper the OP seems to be referring to (no confirmation yet) has gone through six versions before (apparently) being accepted. Thatís unusual, in my experience. But what it implies I really donít know.

Is it possible that the OP doesnít really understand what this paper is about?
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 08:42 PM   #10
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 11,632
Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
Indeed.

The lead author has quite a few publications, in plasma physics, and a smaller number in solar physics. The other two authors are also often co-authors with Stefani.

In arXiv, the paper the OP seems to be referring to (no confirmation yet) has gone through six versions before (apparently) being accepted. Thatís unusual, in my experience. But what it implies I really donít know.
On further reading (I didn't initially see the other link) it seems legit

Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
Is it possible that the OP doesnít really understand what this paper is about?
His statement/question "Is this ok for today physics? For today model an atoms?" gives me some pause for thought. I have my suspicions as to what he thinks he understands about this, given his body of work, especially in the "One simple principle predicting the flow of Dark?" nonsense thread.
__________________
#THEYAREUS
The Mueller Report must be released to Congress in full - If Trump has nothing to hide, then he should also have nothing to fear!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 08:46 PM   #11
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 62,037
Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
Indeed.Is it possible that the OP doesnít really understand what this paper is about?
It's possible.
__________________
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 02:54 PM   #12
WhatRoughBeast
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,377
It's a fascinating idea.

Of course, since sunspot cycles span from 9 to 14 years, any theory is going to have some 'splaining to do.

And, according to Wikipedia, the average cycle length for the past 300 years is 10.7 years.

But I'd love to see the paper.
WhatRoughBeast is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 03:45 PM   #13
casebro
Penultimate Amazing
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,537
Originally Posted by WhatRoughBeast View Post
It's a fascinating idea.

Of course, since sunspot cycles span from 9 to 14 years, any theory is going to have some 'splaining to do.

And, according to Wikipedia, the average cycle length for the past 300 years is 10.7 years.

But I'd love to see the paper.
So how does the 9-14/10.7 years match with the planets being aligned?

And if so, does having more planets aligned make for climate cycles too? With all the different orbits, how often are all 8 planets aligned? Time to consult an astrologer?

And do all alignedplanets haveto be on one side of the sun? Or would it behave like earth tides when the moon is opposite the sun- a minor high tide ?
__________________
Great minds discuss ideas.
Medium minds discuss events.
Small minds spend all their time on U-Tube and Facebook.

Last edited by casebro; 4th June 2019 at 03:50 PM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:44 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.