ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brilliant Light Power , free energy , Randell Mills

Reply
Old 5th March 2019, 09:11 PM   #201
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 24,706
Originally Posted by markie View Post
On the contrary, Mills is very open about his work. This is acknowledged by all kinds of people in (say) the LENR community. ....
This is irrelevant because what Mills' "power from hydrino" delusions are chemistry not LENR or cold fusion.

Mills hydrino delusion is that electrons can fall into states below the ground state only through his fantasy of catalysts and thus release energy. This is chemical energy, not nuclear energy.

The "LENR community" is full of cranks and even some fraudsters, e.g. Andrea Ross. Being acknowledged by them is not good.

Anyone with a basic knowledge of physics who pays attention to Mills book can see that it is ignorant, deluded and lying.
Anyone with a basic knowledge of the history who pays attention to Mills, knows about Mills' failures that make his current endeavors dubious.
Thus we have a person spouting ignorance, delusions, and lies who has failed to produce anything for nearly 30 years.

A bit of "do it in a way Mills approves" stupidity when Mills is abysmally ignorant of how science works. Then we get the fantasy that rumors of "pictures of the compounds" and a "CIHT cell" are evidence that hydrino compounds exist or that any of Mills devices have worked.

So back in maybe 2000 "CIHT cells" produced more electricity than they used. Where is the evidence for this? Where are they now, 19 years later?

Last edited by Reality Check; 5th March 2019 at 09:25 PM.
Reality Check is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 04:05 AM   #202
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 24,237
No links to the papers and reports written about hydrino compounds, markie?
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 06:12 AM   #203
markie
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,643
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
This is irrelevant because what Mills' "power from hydrino" delusions are chemistry not LENR or cold fusion.

Mills hydrino delusion is that electrons can fall into states below the ground state only through his fantasy of catalysts and thus release energy. This is chemical energy, not nuclear energy.

The "LENR community" is full of cranks and even some fraudsters, e.g. Andrea Ross. Being acknowledged by them is not good.

Anyone with a basic knowledge of physics who pays attention to Mills book can see that it is ignorant, deluded and lying.
Anyone with a basic knowledge of the history who pays attention to Mills, knows about Mills' failures that make his current endeavors dubious.
Thus we have a person spouting ignorance, delusions, and lies who has failed to produce anything for nearly 30 years.

A bit of "do it in a way Mills approves" stupidity when Mills is abysmally ignorant of how science works. Then we get the fantasy that rumors of "pictures of the compounds" and a "CIHT cell" are evidence that hydrino compounds exist or that any of Mills devices have worked.

So back in maybe 2000 "CIHT cells" produced more electricity than they used. Where is the evidence for this? Where are they now, 19 years later?
It wasn't that long ago. BLP probably still has the CIHT cells on premises.
See https://brilliantlightpower.com/ciht-cell/
Some validation reports for the CIHT cells:
https://brilliantlightpower.com/wp-c...landReport.pdf
https://brilliantlightpower.com/wp-c...haryReport.pdf
https://brilliantlightpower.com/wp-c...umacReport.pdf
https://brilliantlightpower.com/wp-c...NSERReport.pdf
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 06:14 AM   #204
markie
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,643
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
No links to the papers and reports written about hydrino compounds, markie?
I've provided several links to them in previous posts. Alternatively they should be easy to find with Google Scholar.
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 06:20 AM   #205
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,751
Originally Posted by markie View Post
markie you really are stuck on stupid here. All these links are from the liars. And they are hardly convincing even if true. You've got people reporting on second hand data here and people reporting on experiments they didn't construct themselves.

markie, get this through you head: A "validation" done by Brilliant Light Power is not independent of Brilliant Light Power. Neither is one done by people paid by BLP, nor is one done by friends of BLP.

Stop burying us with crap. Find one good and actually independent verification and show it to us. If you can't find that the only reasonable conclusion is that there is no good independent verification.
__________________
REJ (Robert E Jones) posting anonymously under my real name for 30 years.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 6th March 2019 at 06:27 AM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 09:26 AM   #206
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 24,237
Originally Posted by markie View Post
I've provided several links to them in previous posts.
When I asked previously, what you did was to link to something else entirely.

Quote:
Alternatively they should be easy to find with Google Scholar.
That's not how the burden of proof works.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 10:46 AM   #207
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,901
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
When I asked previously, what you did was to link to something else entirely.

That's not how the burden of proof works.
He's prancing about hoping you will give up - we've done this all before. This is markie just pretending.

You know beating that horse again and wasting people's time.

Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 01:16 PM   #208
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 24,706
As expected, more religious faith in BLP delusions

Originally Posted by markie View Post
It wasn't that long ago. BLP probably still has the CIHT cells on premises. ...
As expected, more religious faith in BLP delusions and "validation" report stupidity.

Fantasies of CIHT cells stored at BLP are not evidence of actual working CIHT cells.
Where is the evidence for your claim, markie?
Where are the CIHT cells now [as in the working, commercial models promised by Mills and being run by other companies], markie?

Also:
Where can we buy a working CIHT cell, markie?
Why have you not brought a working CIHT cell to check that Mills is not a scammer, markie?

For the information of others: Mills delusions about CIHT (Catalyst Induced Hydrino Transition) cells seems to date from at least 2010 according to this blog. Total failure by Mills.
  • Fails to deliver "large scale commercial power" by 2012.
  • Raises $75 million dollars and fails to deliver "A 100 W unit is planned for completion by the end of 2012".
  • Fails to deliver a "1.5 kiloWatt (kW) pilot unit" by 2013.
A couple of ignored papers in 2014 and 2015. Since then all I can find is propaganda on his web site.

Earlier but maybe not the CIHT scam: Raises $50 million to produce only a claim of a 50kw prototype device in 2007 or 2008. "They expect to have pilot plants built and devices ready for delivery in 12-18 months" in this May 29, 2008 blog.


No sign of markie's "electricity directly with more power out than in" fantasy.
No sign of any electricity output at all !
Reality Check is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 01:30 PM   #209
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 24,706
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
markie you really are stuck on stupid here. All these links are from the liars. And they are hardly convincing even if true. You've got people reporting on second hand data here and people reporting on experiments they didn't construct themselves.
Another point that markie cannot understand is that these are not quite validation reports!

These are PDFs on the BLP company web site. Mills was free to alter them in any way that he wanted.
As far as we know, the scientists who did the reports were competent and rational. They would know that QM is one of the best tested theories in physics. They would know that QM rules out states below the ground state. They would know that over a century of spectroscopy has found no evidence of transitions to states below the ground state. They would not want association with obvious pseudoscience. It is unlikely that they would support and include hydrino non-science. This makes it quite possible that it was Mills who added the hydrino delusions to the PDFs.

On the other hands, it may be that some of the scientists fell for Mills' hydrino delusions. That is worse. That make the "validation reports " biased reports by incompetent scientists.
Reality Check is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 02:15 PM   #210
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 21,407
The thing is, markie would never accept that type of self-validation report for just about anything else.

If I had an energy generator, markie wouldn't say it was validated if I produced those kinds of reports.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 05:28 PM   #211
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator
 
Red Baron Farms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,672
Originally Posted by markie View Post
I've provided several links to them in previous posts.
No you didn't. You provided links to what Mills claims the test results are indicating.

You were asked where are the independent lab results.

We have spent years here discussing Mills claims. Where are the independent lab results? What do they claim these compounds to be?
__________________
Scott
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 10:54 AM   #212
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,658
there is this guy and they came and watched
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 12:37 PM   #213
HappySkeptic99
Scholar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 73
Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
there is this guy and they came and watched
That's what I get from the CIHT 'validation' reports as well. A guy was contracted, came for a visit, was shown some results, and did a written endorsement. There was no independent 'anything' done.

Where are these working CIHT cells? Why don't we have them? Even if they aren't as flashy as a ultra-capacitor induced pyrotechnics, they were supposed to generate real power, 7 years ago.
HappySkeptic99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 01:52 PM   #214
jrhowell
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 606
Originally Posted by HappySkeptic99 View Post
Where are these working CIHT cells? Why don't we have them? Even if they aren't as flashy as a ultra-capacitor induced pyrotechnics, they were supposed to generate real power, 7 years ago.
Those devices required something like 50W of electrical power in and generated about 50.01W of heat out along with corrosion of the internal components. Instead of investigating whether this oxidation was the source of the excess heat, Mills just declared success, dropped that design, and moved on to the next one.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 03:12 PM   #215
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,658
Originally Posted by HappySkeptic99 View Post
That's what I get from the CIHT 'validation' reports as well. A guy was contracted, came for a visit, was shown some results, and did a written endorsement. There was no independent 'anything' done.

Where are these working CIHT cells? Why don't we have them? Even if they aren't as flashy as a ultra-capacitor induced pyrotechnics, they were supposed to generate real power, 7 years ago.
Reminds me of the Rossi reports on the ECAT, "we saw some steam"
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 06:18 PM   #216
markie
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,643
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
The thing is, markie would never accept that type of self-validation report for just about anything else.

If I had an energy generator, markie wouldn't say it was validated if I produced those kinds of reports.
Those are not "self-validation reports". BLP is not doing the validation. Outside parties are doing the validations.

If you had an energy generator and you were visited by a dozen outside people with physics and engineering doctorates from various places, and they made reports validating the results, yes, I would say your energy generator was validated. Meaning, I would have relatively strong confidence that the results reported accurately reflect the experiments conducted.
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 06:30 PM   #217
markie
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,643
Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
there is this guy and they came and watched
There were more, by the way. For instance Dr Weinberg's report is here:
https://brilliantlightpower.com/wp-c...bergReport.pdf

It should be understood that where a relatively complicated apparatus is involved it only makes sense that validators should visit the premises. But when the setup is more generic and can be accomplished at a good lab, it makes sense that outside people can do the experiments themselves in their own, outside labs.

So for instance researchers at Rowan University did their own work at Rowan University as previously noted.
Dr. Glumac replicated at Urbana University: https://brilliantlightpower.com/wp-c...aphics2014.pdf
Dr. Crouse replicated at Auburn University: https://brilliantlightpower.com/wp-c...eplication.pdf
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 06:44 PM   #218
markie
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,643
Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
Those devices required something like 50W of electrical power in and generated about 50.01W of heat out along with corrosion of the internal components. Instead of investigating whether this oxidation was the source of the excess heat, Mills just declared success, dropped that design, and moved on to the next one.
While it is true that the earlier versions of CIHT cells had heat loss from the molten salt electrolyte as exceeding the power generated from the CIHT reaction, later cells improved greatly so that there was net power generated, much greater than what you are indicating. Still, ultimately it was not good enough to develop to market, especially when Dr. Mills discovered something much much better. That is, the CIHT SF, later named the SunCell.
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 07:19 PM   #219
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,901
markie I believe we've gone over all this before? What is the point of going over the same failed claims again and again?

BOTTOM LINE: NO DEVICE, NO EVIDENCE FOR HYDRINOS

You keep beating the horse and its still putrid and it ain't getting up any time soon to run.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 07:45 PM   #220
Myriad
Hyperthetical
 
Myriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Posts: 14,949
Originally Posted by markie View Post
Those are not "self-validation reports". BLP is not doing the validation. Outside parties are doing the validations.

If you had an energy generator and you were visited by a dozen outside people with physics and engineering doctorates from various places, and they made reports validating the results, yes, I would say your energy generator was validated. Meaning, I would have relatively strong confidence that the results reported accurately reflect the experiments conducted.

If I had an energy generator and I was visited by a dozen outside people with physics and engineering doctorates from various places, and they were making reports, I would expect the reports to quantify the results, preferably based on their measurements of the relevant values (in particular, in this case, energies). If they weren't doing that, I would wonder why they were wasting their time at my site. If I wasn't permitting them to do that or not allowing them the means to do that, they would wonder why they were wasting their time at my site.

"Validate" is a business concept. You validate a bank check or a purchase order number or the signature on a collectible baseball bat. You don't validate anything in science without measuring. Which of these "validators" that you refer to actually reported measured quantities? And what were those quantities?
__________________
A zømbie once bit my sister...
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 07:57 PM   #221
MEequalsIxR
Critical Thinker
 
MEequalsIxR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 424
Originally Posted by markie View Post
Those are not "self-validation reports". BLP is not doing the validation. Outside parties are doing the validations.

If you had an energy generator and you were visited by a dozen outside people with physics and engineering doctorates from various places, and they made reports validating the results, yes, I would say your energy generator was validated. Meaning, I would have relatively strong confidence that the results reported accurately reflect the experiments conducted.
Lets be realistic. If some outside parties really validated the work in the true sense of the word as it is used in real science they would have notified the Nobel Committee, they would have been tripping over themselves to publish papers for real journals, they would be jumping at the chance to work on the project, they would not walk quietly away and go on as normal.
__________________
Never trust anyone in a better mood than you are.

It's a sword they're not meant to safe.
MEequalsIxR is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 08:07 PM   #222
markie
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,643
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
If I had an energy generator and I was visited by a dozen outside people with physics and engineering doctorates from various places, and they were making reports, I would expect the reports to quantify the results, preferably based on their measurements of the relevant values (in particular, in this case, energies). If they weren't doing that, I would wonder why they were wasting their time at my site. If I wasn't permitting them to do that or not allowing them the means to do that, they would wonder why they were wasting their time at my site.

"Validate" is a business concept. You validate a bank check or a purchase order number or the signature on a collectible baseball bat. You don't validate anything in science without measuring. Which of these "validators" that you refer to actually reported measured quantities? And what were those quantities?
There is more to validation than passive observation. Validators can be actively involved in the data acquisition process, and they can be involved in the experimental setup as well. For instance as Dr Weinberg relates:

To summarize, when first hearing of the claims of BLP, it would be irrational not to be very skeptical, and prior to meeting Randy Mills I was extremely skeptical. However, after having visited BLP, having participated in experimental design and execution, and having reviewed vast amounts of other data they have produced, I have found nothing that warrants rejection of their extraordinary claims.
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 08:16 PM   #223
Myriad
Hyperthetical
 
Myriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Posts: 14,949
Originally Posted by markie View Post
There is more to validation than passive observation. Validators can be actively involved in the data acquisition process, and they can be involved in the experimental setup as well. For instance as Dr Weinberg relates:

To summarize, when first hearing of the claims of BLP, it would be irrational not to be very skeptical, and prior to meeting Randy Mills I was extremely skeptical. However, after having visited BLP, having participated in experimental design and execution, and having reviewed vast amounts of other data they have produced, I have found nothing that warrants rejection of their extraordinary claims.

Great! Having participated in experimental design and execution, Dr. Weinberg should be able to give us a quantitative assessment of the measured results of the experiment. That would constitute confirmation of Mills's claimed results. (Again, not "validation" because we're not talking about a parking stub here.) Where is that data?
__________________
A zømbie once bit my sister...
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 10:23 PM   #224
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 5,533
Originally Posted by markie View Post
Those are not "self-validation reports". BLP is not doing the validation. Outside parties are doing the validations.
To me it seems more like BLP invited people to a dog and pony show, and the validation report is simply "We saw a dog and a pony."
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 12:27 AM   #225
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 86,075
Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
To me it seems more like BLP invited people to a dog and pony show, and the validation report is simply "We saw a dog and a pony."
Or rather, we were taken into a a darkened arena and heard what might have been hooves and claws clattering on a hard surface. The lights were then switched on and we were told that we heard a dog and a pony.

Or did we hear a unicorn and a dragon?

Who knows?
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 03:07 AM   #226
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator
 
Red Baron Farms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,672
Originally Posted by markie View Post


So for instance researchers at Rowan University did their own work at Rowan University as previously noted.
Dr. Glumac replicated at Urbana University: https://brilliantlightpower.com/wp-c...aphics2014.pdf
Dr. Crouse replicated at Auburn University: https://brilliantlightpower.com/wp-c...eplication.pdf
Those tests found anomalous heat, not hydrinos.

Just because not every chemical reaction under every condition in the universe is known, it doesn't automatically mean anomalous=hydrino. In fact very little was done to try and rule out any number of possibilities.

Again though, you were asked what the independent labs claimed the samples contained, not anomalous heat.
__________________
Scott
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 06:18 AM   #227
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,751
Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
Those tests found anomalous heat, not hydrinos.

This is part of the smoke and mirrors around BLP "validation" reports. The ones that claim to confirm something really important aren't at all independent and turn out be done by BLP themselves. The ones that are somewhat independent aren't validations of anything interesting. But BLP supporters don't make those distinctions clear.
__________________
REJ (Robert E Jones) posting anonymously under my real name for 30 years.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 02:05 PM   #228
markie
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,643
Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
Those tests found anomalous heat, not hydrinos.

Just because not every chemical reaction under every condition in the universe is known, it doesn't automatically mean anomalous=hydrino. In fact very little was done to try and rule out any number of possibilities.

Again though, you were asked what the independent labs claimed the samples contained, not anomalous heat.

Feel free to take the hundreds of spectrographs of various types taken by a dozen different labs to characterize BLP's anomalous substances, show them to an appropriate materials science expert of your choice, and see what he or she says. (You apparently don't believe the experts who have commented on these things already.)
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 02:18 PM   #229
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,901
Originally Posted by markie View Post
Feel free to take the hundreds of spectrographs of various types taken by a dozen different labs to characterize BLP's anomalous substances, show them to an appropriate materials science expert of your choice, and see what he or she says. (You apparently don't believe the experts who have commented on these things already.)
Why don't you do it? Shouldn't you? Why would you not?

Just wasting more time with your blind belief.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 02:22 PM   #230
jonesdave116
Illuminator
 
jonesdave116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,468
Originally Posted by markie View Post
Feel free to take the hundreds of spectrographs of various types taken by a dozen different labs to characterize BLP's anomalous substances, show them to an appropriate materials science expert of your choice, and see what he or she says. (You apparently don't believe the experts who have commented on these things already.)
Kunze did that already. Artefacts. The claimed detections could not even have been made on the equipment Mills used. If that is not a demonstration of his incompetence, then I don't know what is.
__________________
“There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the priest.” - Victor Hugo

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 03:04 PM   #231
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,751
Originally Posted by markie View Post
Feel free to take the hundreds of spectrographs of various types taken by a dozen different labs to characterize BLP's anomalous substances, show them to an appropriate materials science expert of your choice, and see what he or she says. (You apparently don't believe the experts who have commented on these things already.)
Very few experts have commented on them and I don't know of any outside of BLP that positively state it must be hydrinos.

Mills and his supporters are constantly claiming lots of independently verified spectrographs when the reality is that lots of labs have taken spectrographs for BLP but it's then BLP or some dubious friend of Mills that declared the spectrographs are hydrinos.
__________________
REJ (Robert E Jones) posting anonymously under my real name for 30 years.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 03:52 PM   #232
markie
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,643
Originally Posted by jonesdave116 View Post
Kunze did that already. Artefacts. The claimed detections could not even have been made on the equipment Mills used. If that is not a demonstration of his incompetence, then I don't know what is.
i've already told you that subsequent experiments on much more capable spectrometers demonstrated that the results on the earlier spectrometers were not artifacts. Fact is, Mills has gone out of his way and gone to the spectrometer manufacturer itself to ensure it is done right.
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 04:01 PM   #233
markie
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,643
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Very few experts have commented on them and I don't know of any outside of BLP that positively state it must be hydrinos.

Mills and his supporters are constantly claiming lots of independently verified spectrographs when the reality is that lots of labs have taken spectrographs for BLP but it's then BLP or some dubious friend of Mills that declared the spectrographs are hydrinos.
No expert who is unfamiliar with hydrinos (99.9 percent of them) can declare the anomalies are due to hydrinos. All he or she can do is say the substances are anomalous in particular ways. Or, if they know a little about Mills' theory they may go a step further and say the result is consistent with Mills' theory. It takes someone like a Dr. Ramanujachary from Rowan University, who is much more versed about hydrino and knows what to expect from hydrino compounds, who can say that there appears no other explanation than hydrino for particular results.
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 04:14 PM   #234
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,901
Ramanujachary - you've mentioned him over two dozen times. The same claim over and over and over and over again.

WHAT'S THE POINT MARKIE?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 04:24 PM   #235
jonesdave116
Illuminator
 
jonesdave116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,468
Originally Posted by markie View Post
i've already told you that subsequent experiments on much more capable spectrometers demonstrated that the results on the earlier spectrometers were not artifacts. Fact is, Mills has gone out of his way and gone to the spectrometer manufacturer itself to ensure it is done right.
Given his demonstrated incompetence, lack of qualifications, and promises of delivery within months for decades ("Soon, just a little more funding, and we'll be there!"), then I very much doubt he has anything other than BS to sell. Deliver working product, get Nobel Prize. Never going to happen. He is either totally incompetent, or a con artist. Possibly both. It is nonsense. H has had ~ 14 billion years to find its ground state. If this idiot was right, we should see the evidence for the sub-ground state transitions in all-sky maps. We don't. He is talking out of his rectum.
__________________
“There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the priest.” - Victor Hugo

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 04:32 PM   #236
jonesdave116
Illuminator
 
jonesdave116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,468
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Ramanujachary - you've mentioned him over two dozen times. The same claim over and over and over and over again.

WHAT'S THE POINT MARKIE?
Medical doctor, with no physics quals: "Hydrinos!"

Nobel laureate: ""If you could **** around with the hydrogen atom, you could **** around with the energy process in the sun. You could **** around with life itself." "Everything we know about everything would be a bunch of nonsense. That's why I'm so sure that it's a fraud."

I know who I trust on this.
__________________
“There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the priest.” - Victor Hugo

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 05:20 PM   #237
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator
 
W.D.Clinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,574
Originally Posted by markie View Post
No expert who is unfamiliar with hydrinos (99.9 percent of them) can declare the anomalies are due to hydrinos.
The highlighted is an understatement. You should have said 100 percent.

Originally Posted by markie View Post
It takes someone like a Dr. Ramanujachary from Rowan University, who is much more versed about hydrino and knows what to expect from hydrino compounds, who can say that there appears no other explanation than hydrino for particular results.
Ramanujachary describes himself as a chemist and member of the "Research Faculty" of Rowan's College of Science and Mathematics (CSM), apparently associated in some way with the "School of Health Professions". He also lists "Full and Part-Time Faculty, CSM", which may mean he teaches on occasional course. His list of "Research Expertise" doesn't mention hydrinos or anything that could be interpreted as fundamental physics.

A Google Scholar search of his papers does not turn up anything that could be even remotely related to hydrinos. If he is convinced that hydrinos are real, and possesses scientific evidence for that conclusion, why hasn't he published a paper about it?
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 05:32 PM   #238
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,901
Its just a never ending series fringe resets. We should just number the claims:

markies fringe reset schedule:

Redo claim 16 tomorrow and on Monday we'll hint at 17 and then jump right back into 31 for the fourteen time.

Repeat for the next 32 years.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 06:49 PM   #239
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 18,617
Originally Posted by markie View Post
i've already told you that subsequent experiments on much more capable spectrometers demonstrated that the results on the earlier spectrometers were not artifacts.
Sure, you made that claim. So what? It's a claim. Shall we believe every claim? Or should we seek evidence for whatever claim? You tell me.

Originally Posted by markie View Post
Fact is, Mills has gone out of his way and gone to the spectrometer manufacturer itself to ensure it is done right.
And follow up with a lie. Rightio.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 06:55 PM   #240
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 18,617
Originally Posted by markie View Post
No expert who is unfamiliar with hydrinos (99.9 percent of them) can declare the anomalies are due to hydrinos. All he or she can do is say the substances are anomalous in particular ways. Or, if they know a little about Mills' theory they may go a step further and say the result is consistent with Mills' theory. It takes someone like a Dr. Ramanujachary from Rowan University, who is much more versed about hydrino and knows what to expect from hydrino compounds, who can say that there appears no other explanation than hydrino for particular results.
So basically everyone then. Nobody has seen any "hydrinos", nobody is "versed" in such imaginary things.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:40 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.