ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th June 2019, 07:37 AM   #1
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Sciency things I don't understand, part MXVII

The hot weather arrived so it's time to break out our several fans from storage. They needed a good clean, which involved removing the front cage, taking off the blade and giving it a wash (removing dust from the blade makes huge difference to their efficiency btw ) Every one had a reverse threaded nut to clamp the blade to the spindle.

I think my angle-grinder also has such a fitting, maybe the chuck on the electric drill and perhaps the head on my petrol strimmer (weedwhacker); I'm not certain.

Sometimes the rotating bit needs to spin a certain way (the circular saw, for example), but not the fans.

The question - why build them like this rather than have a normal nut and have the motor spin the other way? I'll bet that plenty of people have damaged such devices by hauling away on those nuts in the conventional way. Some characteristic of electric motors?

[/idle curiosity, as he sits in the cooling breeze of a fan that's strong enough to destroy Trump's comb-over]
Old 10th June 2019, 07:47 AM   #2
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
The hot weather arrived so it's time to break out our several fans from storage. They needed a good clean, which involved removing the front cage, taking off the blade and giving it a wash (removing dust from the blade makes huge difference to their efficiency btw ) Every one had a reverse threaded nut to clamp the blade to the spindle.

I think my angle-grinder also has such a fitting, maybe the chuck on the electric drill and perhaps the head on my petrol strimmer (weedwhacker); I'm not certain.

Sometimes the rotating bit needs to spin a certain way (the circular saw, for example), but not the fans.

The question - why build them like this rather than have a normal nut and have the motor spin the other way? I'll bet that plenty of people have damaged such devices by hauling away on those nuts in the conventional way. Some characteristic of electric motors?

[/idle curiosity, as he sits in the cooling breeze of a fan that's strong enough to destroy Trump's comb-over]
This won't answer your question but it could be useful nevertheless.
I did brief overview of this country's summer climate which would indicate a more effective cooling method would be something known as a swampcooler.

Last edited by Steve001; 10th June 2019 at 07:49 AM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 07:54 AM   #3
Worm
Master Poster

Received wisdom is that for machinery that rotates, a reverse-thread nut will be less succeptible to vibration-based loosening.

I have no idea if that is actually tested though.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 07:59 AM   #4
GlennB

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
This won't answer your question but it could be useful nevertheless.
I did brief overview of this country's summer climate which would indicate a more effective cooling method would be something known as a swampcooler.
I did try one for a bedroom, but it was pretty ineffective. Maybe it was just not good quality or maybe it's the generally low humidity in these parts? Anyway, the fans are handy for a localised breeze, including outdoors.
Old 10th June 2019, 08:01 AM   #5
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Received wisdom is that for machinery that rotates, a reverse-thread nut will be less succeptible to vibration-based loosening.
A reverse-thread nut for a motor spinning the other way would be a regular-thread nut.

I don't know why most fans originated going that particular clock-wise, but reversing the motor spin would also require reversing the orientation of the fan blades. Too much money to redesign?

Or intended obsolescence? If you have a fan long enough to get dirty, they want you to break it and buy a new one.
Old 10th June 2019, 08:02 AM   #6
8enotto
Muse

Arbitrary industry standard. Chen Fu in China makes small electric motors and fans, has all the tooling to make them by the billions with left hand threads. Wal-Mart wants fans it's far cheaper to get fans branded for them by Chen Fu than spec one that uses common hardware.

Both would work equally well but development costs are long past on the current products.

A lot of stuff of a disposable nature uses odd hardware as it was never intended to be serviced. Those swamp coolers were meant to get regular services however. Two wrenches and s screwdriver take them down easy. If not too rusty.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 08:04 AM   #7
GlennB

I thought it was to do with the direction of rotation, which would tend to loosen a wrongly-threaded nut ?
Old 10th June 2019, 08:06 AM   #8
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Because deazil is the good, honest god-fearing way for things to rotate, and widdershins is Satans direction.

If you sat in front of an anticlockwise spinning fan for more than an hour, you'd probably start dreaming about black masses.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 11:11 AM   #9
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
Because deazil is the good, honest god-fearing way for things to rotate, and widdershins is Satans direction.

If you sat in front of an anticlockwise spinning fan for more than an hour, you'd probably start dreaming about black masses.
Well, in South Korea, if you go to sleep with a fan on, you die.
Old 10th June 2019, 11:12 AM   #10
lomiller
Philosopher

The answer is likely economics then science. IMO it’s likely cheaper and easier to get a nut/bolt that is reverse threaded than it is to reverse the windings in the motor.

The motor is the more expensive, more difficult to manufacture part of the device. It’s more efficient for the company making the motor to only sell one design in a given range instead of two. While the same is true for the nut, it’s a much smaller fraction of the final cost of the fan so it adds less cost to the final design to change the nut instead of the motor.
Old 10th June 2019, 11:19 AM   #11
Doubt
Philosopher

That is the correct reason.

Also check out bicycle pedals. Since they are on opposite sides of the bike one has a normal thread and the other is reversed.

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 11:23 AM   #12
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Chrysler used to have left-hand-thread wheel nuts on one side of their cars. I don't think it made any difference.
Old 10th June 2019, 11:33 AM   #13
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Chrysler used to have left-hand-thread wheel nuts on one side of their cars. I don't think it made any difference.
I'm not entirely sure it made no difference. On steel wheels properly torqued it's not enough to warrant, but if a nut is poorly tightened it would.

The funny thing is that nowadays cheap alloy wheels do loosen fairly easily, and left hand threads would really be a benefit now, but nobody uses them.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 11:38 AM   #14
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
But is it true or just commonly believed? I suspect its the latter. I strongly suspect the truth is more economics and inertia than anything. Likely, back in the day it was more expensive to get a reverse wound electrical motor but now a days, its mostly because that's the way its always been done.

Last edited by ahhell; 10th June 2019 at 11:40 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 12:21 PM   #15
Steve001
Graduate Poster

I did try one for a bedroom, but it was pretty ineffective. Maybe it was just not good quality or maybe it's the generally low humidity in these parts? Anyway, the fans are handy for a localised breeze, including outdoors.
Swampcoolers only work in low humidity through the action of evaporative cooling.

Last edited by Steve001; 10th June 2019 at 01:30 PM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 12:25 PM   #16
GlennB

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Swampcoolers only work in low humidity.
Now you mention it that makes perfect sense. Cheapo product I suppose.
Old 10th June 2019, 12:29 PM   #17
GlennB

Also check out bicycle pedals. Since they are on opposite sides of the bike one has a normal thread and the other is reversed.
Yes, so it's to do with the direction in which the device rotates relative to the thread. Meanwhile lomiller has explained that if you have a range of electric motors then it's cheaper to vary the nut than vary the motors. Makes sense.
Old 10th June 2019, 12:47 PM   #18
CORed
Philosopher

Low humidity is exactly what you want for an evaporative (aka swamp) cooler. They don't work worth a damn in high humidity.

In order to work well, they need to be set up in a window, or a hole in the roof or wall, such that the inlet is getting outside air, and the outlet discharges into the building or room you are trying to cool. You also need an exit path for inside air to go outside. This can be an open window at the opposite side of the area you are cooling from where the cooler is blowing in.

It is also important that the cooler has adequate capacity for the volume you want to cool. If these conditions are not met, the evaporative cooler is going to function more as a humidifier than a cooler, which is not what you want at all.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 12:51 PM   #19
CORed
Philosopher

I thought it was to do with the direction of rotation, which would tend to loosen a wrongly-threaded nut ?
Yes, that is correct. There is nothing inherently better about a left-hand thread, assuming other factors are the same.

Some cars used to use left-hand threaded lug nuts on the wheels on the left side of the car. I think Chrysler was the last manufacturer (American, anyway) to abandon the practice.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 01:35 PM   #20
fuelair
Banned

A shame it doesn't complete the task!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 01:36 PM   #21
fuelair
Banned

Sc's like the dry air!!!

Last edited by fuelair; 10th June 2019 at 01:40 PM. Reason: could
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 11:44 AM   #22
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
The answer is likely economics then science. IMO itís likely cheaper and easier to get a nut/bolt that is reverse threaded than it is to reverse the windings in the motor.

The motor is the more expensive, more difficult to manufacture part of the device. Itís more efficient for the company making the motor to only sell one design in a given range instead of two. While the same is true for the nut, itís a much smaller fraction of the final cost of the fan so it adds less cost to the final design to change the nut instead of the motor.
Of course, with brushless motors coming down in price, the economics might eventually mean that it just requires a software change.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 12:16 PM   #23
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Of course, with brushless motors coming down in price, the economics might eventually mean that it just requires a software change.
Inertia likely means this still won't change.

Its not clear that changing it would actually provide any measurable benefit as the fan industry is already set up for the reverse threaded nuts.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 12:24 PM   #24
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Minor correction: this is an engineering-thingy more than a sciency-thingy.
Old 11th June 2019, 12:25 PM   #25
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Inertia likely means this still won't change.

Its not clear that changing it would actually provide any measurable benefit as the fan industry is already set up for the reverse threaded nuts.
True. After all why retool your machinery for making the fan blades?

It's just that brushless DC motors are quite a game changer in many fields.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 07:49 PM   #26
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Some motorcycles/scooters have their mirrors mounted on thin stems that are screwed in, and need to be threaded in opposite directions because the main force they'll deal with in their lives is wind from the front of the vehicle (clockwise for the right mirror, counterclockwise for the left mirror).

I don't get whey they're screwed in at all. A flat-sided connector would hold steady no matter how much wind blew on it.
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 12:22 AM   #27
ceptimus
puzzler

The reason bicycles always have the chain on the right hand side is because if they were on the other side the sprocket on the rear wheel would need a left hand thread.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2019, 07:26 PM   #28
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Minor correction: this is an engineering-thingy more than a sciency-thingy.

Yes it is certainly. As an engineer perhaps I can throw some light on it.

Firstly it is right hand and left hand threads we are talking about - not regular and irregular. Boy I hate the way Americans have bastardised the meaning of that word.

Having the thread a certain way most certainly does help it not undo, when the direction of rotation, during acceleration particularly, tends to make it do so. Bear in mind there are other threads, possibly on the other end of the rotor, so if the thread that offends you is made right hand, then the other must be left hand.

Some things just turn out to be inconvenient at times. I remember my mother asking my father, (an engineer also), when helping him make a repair to the engine of a car - "Why don't they put all the nuts on top of the engine?"

That's about it. I'm off now to have an irregular cup of coffee.
Old 16th June 2019, 08:54 PM   #29
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Yes it is certainly. As an engineer perhaps I can throw some light on it.

Firstly it is right hand and left hand threads we are talking about - not regular and irregular. Boy I hate the way Americans have bastardised the meaning of that word.

Having the thread a certain way most certainly does help it not undo, when the direction of rotation, during acceleration particularly, tends to make it do so. Bear in mind there are other threads, possibly on the other end of the rotor, so if the thread that offends you is made right hand, then the other must be left hand.

Some things just turn out to be inconvenient at times. I remember my mother asking my father, (an engineer also), when helping him make a repair to the engine of a car - "Why don't they put all the nuts on top of the engine?"

That's about it. I'm off now to have an irregular cup of coffee.
They do not make left hand coffee!
Old Yesterday, 02:53 AM   #30
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
They do not make left hand coffee!
No they don't. You are absolutely correct. But they do sell an after market conversion kit!
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:25 AM   #31
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

It was a Wright Bros invention. That and putting ball bearings in there. It's how they financed their flying experiments.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM   #32
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
It was a Wright Bros invention. That and putting ball bearings in there. It's how they financed their flying experiments.
I'd forgotten that little detail. Smart fellows, those Wrights.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM   #33
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Sciency things I don't understand
Being a Rocket Man. It's just my job, five days a week.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology