ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Tony Abbott

Old 7th December 2017, 11:21 PM   #1321
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Same-sex marriage: This is everyone who didn't vote to support the bill
Quote:
Only four MPs voted no — the Coalition's Russell Broadbent, Keith Pitt and David Littleproud, and crossbencher Bob Katter.
However, a number of staunch opponents of the same-sex marriage bill were notably absent during the vote.
In other words these staunch opponents were not genuine. They just wanted to delay passing the bill. A low tactic.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 12:07 AM   #1322
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Same-sex marriage: This is everyone who didn't vote to support the bill

In other words these staunch opponents were not genuine. They just wanted to delay passing the bill. A low tactic.
Old news.

As for your claim that abstaining was a delaying tactic:
Old 8th December 2017, 12:22 AM   #1323
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Other MPs to abstain include Treasurer Scott Morrison, deputy PM Barnaby Joyce, assistant ministers Michael Sukkar and Alex Hawke, Liberal MPs Andrew Hastie, Kevin Andrews, Rick Wilson and National MP George Christensen.

However, the only official record is of the 4 "no" voters: Coalition MPs Russell Broadbent, Keith Pitt, David Littleproud and independent MP Bob Katter.

Mr Pitt subsequently released a statement claiming that he wasn't against SSM but the actual bill.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ccc2bc574b2ff8
Your link is behind a paywall.

Quote:
As for your claim that abstaining was a delaying tactic:
That is not my claim.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 12:51 AM   #1324
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Your link is behind a paywall.
Sorry about that. At least my summary of the link is consistent with your link.

That is not my claim.

I just can't see any other possible way to interpret your post:
Quote:
However, a number of staunch opponents of the same-sex marriage bill were notably absent during the vote.
As a matter of fact, had just one of these abstainers voted "no" then there would have had to be a formal count of the votes which would have delayed passage of the bill by - minutes.

Last edited by psionl0; 8th December 2017 at 12:55 AM.
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 02:19 AM   #1325
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Sorry about that. At least my summary of the link is consistent with your link.

I just can't see any other possible way to interpret your post:

As a matter of fact, had just one of these abstainers voted "no" then there would have had to be a formal count of the votes which would have delayed passage of the bill by - minutes.
One of the methods they used to delay passing the vote was this pointless survey. It was wanted only by those who did not SSM.
Old 8th December 2017, 02:38 AM   #1326
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

One of the methods they used to delay passing the vote was this pointless survey. It was wanted only by those who did not SSM.
In other words, your post had absolutely nothing to do with what you quoted. It was a total non-sequitur.
Old 10th December 2017, 12:58 AM   #1327
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

To be honest, I think that leaving the floor for the vote may be the greatest moral integrity I've ever seen Abbott display.

He had promised his electorate that he would not vote against their will. Everyone knew that the vote was going to pass. He had to abstain.
Old 10th December 2017, 01:35 PM   #1328
Thor 2
Illuminator

In other words, your post had absolutely nothing to do with what you quoted. It was a total non-sequitur.

I can see what rjh01 is saying quite clearly psion. Perhaps you should read it again without your "skeptical about skeptics" glasses.
Old 10th December 2017, 11:55 PM   #1329
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
I can see what rjh01 is saying quite clearly psion. Perhaps you should read it again without your "skeptical about skeptics" glasses.
I eagerly await your explanation of how rjh01's post is related to their quote.

Last edited by psionl0; 11th December 2017 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Misspelled rjh01
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 01:08 PM   #1330
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I think this picture shows what I mean. The people who wanted the survey wanted it just as a delaying tactic and nothing more. If they wanted to measure the people's opinion then these people would have voted yes, as their electorates said yes, but they either voted no or abstained. Shame on Turnbull who allowed himself to be used by these people.

https://www.facebook.com/EMRAUST/pho...type=3&theater
Old 11th December 2017, 01:57 PM   #1331
Thor 2
Illuminator

Yes you make your point quite well rjh01. I think however you may have to write it in braille for psionl0 to comprehend.
Old 11th December 2017, 08:58 PM   #1332
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I think this picture shows what I mean. The people who wanted the survey wanted it just as a delaying tactic and nothing more. If they wanted to measure the people's opinion then these people would have voted yes, as their electorates said yes, but they either voted no or abstained. Shame on Turnbull who allowed himself to be used by these people.

https://www.facebook.com/EMRAUST/pho...type=3&theater
That facebook picture doesn't prove what you think it does.

If you want to establish that the no/abstain voters intended to delay the SSM bill then you need to show that these same MPs actually voted in favour of a plebiscite. So far, you have nothing.

ETA quite a few electorates in western Sydney voted NO in the poll. How many MPs respected their constituents' vote?

EETA The Plebiscite (Same-Sex Marriage) Bill 2016 was introduced into the House of Representatives on 14 September 2016 by Malcolm Turnbull (not any of the abstainers). The third reading of the bill was carried on party lines on 20 October 2016 with all coalition members voting yes (76 votes) and Labor voting as a block "no" (67 votes). http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/...ad4b%2F0000%22

Last edited by psionl0; 11th December 2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11th December 2017, 09:32 PM   #1333
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Yes you make your point quite well rjh01. I think however you may have to write it in braille for psionl0 to comprehend.
Judging from what is written below I fear you are right. Thank you for telling me that you, at least, understood what I said.

That facebook picture doesn't prove what you think it does.

If you want to establish that the no/abstain voters intended to delay the SSM bill then you need to show that these same MPs actually voted in favour of a plebiscite. So far, you have nothing.

ETA quite a few electorates in western Sydney voted NO in the poll. How many MPs respected their constituents' vote?
Old 11th December 2017, 09:59 PM   #1334
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Judging from what is written below I fear you are right.
Does that trick ever work?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics