ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th December 2017, 06:03 AM   #41
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post

That there is a real sound.

If you hear a sound looking at the gif and it disappears when you close your eyes, it proves to you that the sound was only in your own mind, see?

What else could she have meant?
Well, since no-one is claiming that there is a real sound, I don't know why you'd need to disprove it.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 06:37 AM   #42
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I think that Skeptic Ginger misunderstood the original premise and topic and thought that people were claiming that the gif actually does have an audio track.

Her response does make sense if she had that misunderstanding.

Last edited by William Parcher; 7th December 2017 at 06:39 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 06:50 AM   #43
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Ah right that makes sense.
Old 7th December 2017, 08:14 AM   #44
Shepherd
Thinker

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
I get a weird tightness in my ears with each bounce that's almost like a sound but not?
possible explanation could be the Acoustic Reflex.

I apparently have voluntary control of the muscles involved with the acoustic reflex, for I can tense muscles in my ears and hear rumbling any time I want. Contracting muscles do generate sound.

If viewing the gif image triggers this reflex in some people, then they could actually be hearing a real sound. ...even though it is still produced inside their own heads. ;P

Quote:
Voluntary control

Contracting muscles produce vibration and sound.[3] Slow twitch fibers produce 10 to 30 contractions per second (equivalent to 10 to 30 Hz sound frequency). Fast twitch fibers produce 30 to 70 contractions per second (equivalent to 30 to 70 Hz sound frequency).[4] The vibration can be witnessed and felt by highly tensing one's muscles, as when making a firm fist. The sound can be heard by pressing a highly tensed muscle against the ear, again a firm fist is a good example. The sound is usually described as a rumbling sound. Some individuals can voluntarily produce this rumbling sound by contracting the tensor tympani muscle of the middle ear. The rumbling sound can also be heard when the neck or jaw muscles are highly tensed as when yawning deeply. This phenomenon has been known since (at least) 1884.[5]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_tympani_muscle

Last edited by Shepherd; 7th December 2017 at 08:22 AM.
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 09:24 AM   #45
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Could it have something to do with the syncing of the thumping sound in your ears of your own heartbeat?

(I might have to add a camera shake to my bouncing avatar -- drive people crazy!)

Last edited by alfaniner; 7th December 2017 at 09:25 AM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 12:29 PM   #46
This is The End

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I find it very hard to describe what I get, but this is probably closest, I feel like my brain is trying to add some kind of sound or haptic effect. Possibly my brain is anticipating and compensating for it and it's that involuntarily reaction that I'm 'feeling'.

I would have to assume that (almost) every single person who claims they hear a sound is misinterpreting that effect.

The brain is incorrectly reacting which causes a "clench"* to occur in perhaps more than one area of the brain & sensory system. People, experiencing that effect, are for whatever reason answering "yes" to "I hear a sound".

Quote:
noun: clench

a contraction or tightening of part of the body.
Old 7th December 2017, 02:07 PM   #47
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I can't hear the "thump", but I can clearly hear them giggling.
It's nice, right?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 04:11 PM   #48
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

I don't hear anything. I just see pylons jumping rope. No cross connections in my brain apparently. What a pity!
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 05:37 PM   #49
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
I get a weird tightness in my ears with each bounce that's almost like a sound but not?
possible explanation could be the Acoustic Reflex.
Yep, that's exactly what I experienced too.

I can do that deliberately, and the "sound" is the same, a kind of rumbling, in my case.
Old 8th December 2017, 05:49 PM   #50
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I don't ' hear " or feel anything..

What is the implication of this?

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 06:27 PM   #51
p0lka
Muse

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post

If the earth is ever attacked by gifs from another planet you will never hear them coming?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 03:50 PM   #52
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post

It's not a tumor.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 06:24 PM   #53
JesseCuster
Muse

Like others, I'm not hearing anything, but I'm getting a weird sensation of a 'thud' when the pylon lands. The sensation isn't in my ears, it's in my temples. It's almost like my brain is expecting the thud and is clenching in anticipation and I can feel a strange tightness in my temples and a vague sensation of a thud when the pylon lands.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2017, 10:32 AM   #54
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

An in-depth article with more silent gifs which are noisy...

Why We ‘Hear’ Some Silent GIFs

Originally Posted by New York Times
But can you actually hear something that does not emit a sound?

Certainly, said Chris Plack, a professor of audiology at the Manchester Centre for Audiology and Deafness, who researches acoustic reflexes and auditory processing.

“Hearing,” as he defines it, does not require external noise; rather, it is “having the experience of a sound.”...

Rob Desalle, an evolutionary geneticist and curator of the Our Senses exhibit at the American Museum of Natural History, calls it a “clever illusion caused by filling in.”

“Our brains see this and they say, ‘Wow, a pylon of that size bouncing up and down should be making a noise,’” he said. So we hear one...

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/0...lent-gifs.html
Old 10th December 2017, 03:36 PM   #55
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I guess we have a solution for that old "If a tree falls in the forest..." conundrum.
Old 10th December 2017, 04:26 PM   #56
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

I wonder if this isn't related to some sort of low-level synaesthesia.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2017, 04:39 PM   #57
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

The way the image jumps as if the viewer of camera is shaken almost has me feeling/hearing it.
Old 11th December 2017, 08:20 AM   #58
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

“Our brains see this and they say, ‘Wow, a pylon of that size bouncing up and down should be making a noise,’” he said. So we hear one... "

Oh, yeah? My brain sees something as totally unrealistic as a large-scale pylon "jumping rope" and says, "Clever bit of animation, but it ain't real." Ergo, no sound.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 08:31 AM   #59
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
“Our brains see this and they say, ‘Wow, a pylon of that size bouncing up and down should be making a noise,’” he said. So we hear one... "

Oh, yeah? My brain sees something as totally unrealistic as a large-scale pylon "jumping rope" and says, "Clever bit of animation, but it ain't real." Ergo, no sound.
I'm pretty sure all contributors to the thread are aware that it's not real and thats not what is being discussd here. Anyway, well done you; what a clever boy.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 09:36 AM   #60
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

I hear the "jump" instantly even though it would take a second or more to actually reach my ears.

It's clear the mechanisms at work don't understand all of physics, just some of it.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 11:16 AM   #61
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I'm pretty sure all contributors to the thread are aware that it's not real and thats not what is being discussd here.
From the OP: "Do you hear the thud of the jumper?"
My response: "No."

Quote:
Anyway, well done you; what a clever boy.
Snark all you wish; my response to the OP from day one was "no" and it remains "no."
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 02:49 PM   #62
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
From the OP: "Do you hear the thud of the jumper?"
My response: "No."
It didn't come across quite that way, to me, at any rate. It read more like "it's not real you *********** idiots."
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 03:02 PM   #63
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
It didn't come across quite that way, to me, at any rate. It read more like "it's not real you *********** idiots."
Can't control how you perceive things. Can barely control my own reactions. The interwebs teems with examples of perceived but untended motivations. Likewise, sarcasm, satire & irony do not play well on the internet stage.
Old 12th December 2017, 08:42 AM   #64
TX50
Graduate Poster

I "involuntarily imagine" a thud when the "pylon" lands.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology