ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th April 2019, 09:05 AM   #81
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
If the electorate cared about the truth more than about what they want to hear, a magic 8-ball could beat Trump.
This. I had a recent conversation about this. Coal miners didn't believe he would actually bring back coal jobs they just liked the lies better than the truth.

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Which, in a way, a lot of life is about.

Somehow you slidie right over her law degree from Harvard and work as an attorney.
Still doesn't give her much in the way of qualifications to be the president.*

*Yes, I know, his orangeness isn't either. The point to that comment is to point out how strange it is to reach out to Michelle as opposed to literally dozens or hundreds or even thousands of other people with an open letter to implore them run for the presidency. Atleast consider the dozens that have expressed interest in the job or those that have experience like say, being the governor of a state or a cabinet secretary maybe.

Last edited by ahhell; 12th April 2019 at 09:07 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 09:06 AM   #82
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Yes with Hillary, not so much with Bush Jr since his dad wouldn't be literally living in the White House, but still some dynastic appeal I didn't like, and I was quite happy to see Jeb crater.
Did you clap?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 09:07 AM   #83
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Rolleyes indeed. I replied to a bigoted statement in the spirit in which it was offered. But that bigotry didn't trigger you at all.
Bigoted? How can one make a bigoted statement about themselves?

Try harder.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 09:08 AM   #84
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
This. I had a recent conversation about this. Coal miners didn't believe he would actually bring back coal jobs they just liked the lies better than the truth.
Well, that's depressing.

I guess reality really is overrated.

Old 12th April 2019, 12:52 PM   #85
Minoosh
Philosopher

Not if you're doing it right. Very little of my life is about event planning.
That speaks to the importance of event planning in your life, not to its value in other people's. I rarely use duct tape, but that doesn't mean it's useless. Your (purely hypothetical) lack of people skills doesn't mean people skills aren't important.

A legal trial is an event. A lesson is an event. Medical treatment is an event, at least in the patient's life. Creating a positive experience matters in a wide variety of contexts.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 01:00 PM   #86
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Bigoted? How can one make a bigoted statement about themselves?
Many, many Americans are bigoted about Americans. The usual technique is to make an exception for themselves.

Quote:
Try harder.
I feel like I'm putting in just about as much effort as your concern actually deserves.

Last edited by theprestige; 12th April 2019 at 01:10 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 01:01 PM   #87
Minoosh
Philosopher

Well maybe I shouldn't publish my open letter to George Clooney.

You know a key qualification to be president? It helps if you're tall. Michelle's 5'11". Coincidentally, so is Melania.

So is George Clooney, but he's in the men's bracket.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 01:10 PM   #88
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That speaks to the importance of event planning in your life, not to its value in other people's.
You're waaay overthinking this. You made a general observation. I gave a general reply. It's too late - and also unnecessary - to convert to a personalized observation. Just let it go.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 01:14 PM   #89
Minoosh
Philosopher

You're waaay overthinking this. You made a general observation. I gave a general reply. It's too late - and also unnecessary - to convert to a personalized observation. Just let it go.
Letting go is an important life skill, but then, so is persistence.

It's a conundrum.
Old 12th April 2019, 01:34 PM   #90
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Letting go is an important life skill, but then, so is persistence.

It's a conundrum.
Not if you're doing it right.
Old 12th April 2019, 04:19 PM   #91
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

The point to that comment is to point out how strange it is to reach out to Michelle as opposed to literally dozens or hundreds or even thousands of other people with an open letter to implore them run for the presidency. Atleast consider the dozens that have expressed interest in the job or those that have experience like say, being the governor of a state or a cabinet secretary maybe.
Did you not see where I specifically said I'd looked at those who have expressed a desire to run and felt that they would all to lose?

Just think hypothetically for a second.

Tell me where you think she'd be in popularity of candidates if she were running?
Old 12th April 2019, 06:40 PM   #92
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

...how strange it is to reach out to Michelle as opposed to literally dozens or hundreds or even thousands of other people with an open letter to implore them run for the presidency. Atleast consider the dozens that have expressed interest in the job or those that have experience like say, being the governor of a state or a cabinet secretary maybe.
You are wrong. The most important qualification (actually the only one - apart from being a US citizen, at least 35 years old, and breathing) required for being president is getting people to vote for you. Everything else is just support.

Is Michelle Obama qualified to be president? I don't think so, but not because a law degree from Harvard or managing the White House are not good qualifications. I just don't think she would make the sacrifices required to get the votes.

And this idea that a First Lady is disqualified because she hasn't had the experience of say, the governor of a state or a cabinet secretary, is BS. You think the person who was closest to the president for 8 years isn't likely to have at least as good an idea of how to do the job as say, the former governor of Alaska? Throughout history there are many examples of women who came to power through being the wife of a leader, and ended up being more effective than their husbands.

Originally Posted by Ziggurat
Yes with Hillary, not so much with Bush Jr since his dad wouldn't be literally living in the White House, but still some dynastic appeal I didn't like, and I was quite happy to see Jeb crater.
That's right, a 'dynasty' can be more than just a succession of hereditary rulers.

Dynasty
Quote:
A dynasty is a sequence of rulers from the same family, usually in the context of a feudal or monarchical system, but sometimes also appearing in elective republics. Alternative terms for "dynasty" may include "house", "family" and "clan", among others...

The word "dynasty" is sometimes used informally for people who are not rulers but are, for example, members of a family with influence and power in other areas, such as a series of successive owners of a major company. It is also extended to unrelated people, such as major poets of the same school or various rosters of a single sports team.
A succession of leaders not related by blood or marriage but who are members of a homogeneous group with influence and power is still a dynasty. Therefore I am calling out the GOP as a dynasty, and also all white Christian males!
Old 12th April 2019, 08:11 PM   #93
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Tell me where you think she'd be in popularity of candidates if she were running?
I'll attempt to answer that myself - I see the question was asked in a poll in December last year, so not that long ago. She marginally behind Creepy Joe, but I'd estimate a lot of people wouldn't have ticked her box because they know she won't stand.

Massive support for someone avowedly not in the race.

And check out her popularity with Conservative voters - small sample, but very noticeably more than double anyone else's support among them.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...illary-clinton

Never mind some attention-seeking nobody on the outer eastern arm of the galaxy planet, if I were a member of the Democratic Party, I'd be kidnapping her dog until she agrees to run.

Would destroy the Republican Party.
Old 12th April 2019, 08:35 PM   #94
The Shrike
Illuminator

I don't want Michelle Obama to run, and neither does she.

More important, though: Henceforth beginning November 2016 no discussion of who or who is not qualified to be President of the United States means anything whatsoever.
It's this and that's it.

We can talk electability, etc., but how anyone can say Person X is unqualified while we suffer with that thing in office right now is beyond me.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 10:44 PM   #95
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
I don't want Michelle Obama to run, and neither does she.

More important, though: Henceforth beginning November 2016 no discussion of who or who is not qualified to be President of the United States means anything whatsoever.
It's this and that's it.

We can talk electability, etc., but how anyone can say Person X is unqualified while we suffer with that thing in office right now is beyond me.
How does this argument work?

"Well, we have a president who has little government experience, is a failed businessman, career criminal, and reality show star, and he's doing a terrible job as president, so we should consider everyone who meets the bare minimum constitutional requirements to be qualified."

Huh?

It's a strong argument for why the GOP, and most republicans, can't possibly be good judges of character or qualification, but I see no need to toss out my own considerations, based on a guy that I've said was entirely unqualified and unfit to be president (or even to manage a Foot Locker) as far back as 2011.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 12:43 PM   #96
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
How does this argument work?
I should've clarified that it's from the perspective of Trump voters and tolerators that it makes the most sense, i.e., "you support that, so you have lost all standing in claiming that this other person is unqualified."

From the perspective of Democrats and other Trump alarmists it's less clear – for the reasons you indicated – but it still holds water I think. Were Trump merely incompetent there would be gaffes, but it's his extraordinary abetted-by-the-GOP competence in being a crime boss that's unraveling the fabric that binds this country. An incompetent non-criminal who was willing to learn and support American institutions and take the oath of office seriously would still be an outstanding president in comparison to Trump. The danger I see on the Democratic side is setting the bar to some impossible purity-tested standard for the perfect candidate, when any 35-year-old schmo who approached the office with honor and integrity would be a vast improvement.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 05:50 AM   #97
dann
Philosopher

Yes, I know you detest politics.

Yes, I know you’ve said you will never stand for office.

Yes, there’s going to be a but…

(...)

If there’s an antidote to a vile, white, sexist, entitled racist, it’s surely a woman of colour, and I don’t see anyone else in your country with the position and popularity to take that mantle on yet.

(...)

Stand up and let your daughters – and hundreds of millions of other children around the planet – grow in a cleaner, happier, more peaceful world.

Don’t Be Better, Be Best!

Alan Charman
Auckland, NZ

Michael Moore agrees with you, The Atheist!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 01:05 AM   #98
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Bastard's been reading my posts!
Old 2nd August 2019, 03:13 AM   #99
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, but is Moore's agreement an endorsement of the idea, or an indictment?
Old 2nd August 2019, 07:12 AM   #100
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
What is "indictment"?

I'll take Obvious Answers for $400, Alex!

Old 2nd August 2019, 09:11 AM   #101
dann
Philosopher

Bastard's been reading my posts!

And here's one more, and she's cuter than Michael Moore!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 11:32 AM   #102
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by dann View Post
And here's one more, and she's cuter than Michael Moore!
Hard to argue with the kid who said Justin Beiber would be a better president than Trump.
Old 2nd August 2019, 11:37 AM   #103
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Absolutely an endorsement.

The right would sell it as an indictment, but then, they have people like Tucker Carlson to look to.

Regardless of how anyone feels about Moore, he at least has the profile to make the statement very public, which is good.

The Dems could certainly do with her about now.

Imagine the ads for her - they could just show her and her obvious warmth towards Dubbya and she sells herself as someone who isn't afraid of the right, but would do it right.

And Moore is absolutely right; of anyone potentially standing against Trump, she is the one who would destroy him utterly and wipe the stain of his racism, sexism and all-round vileness from the White House.

Come on Michelle - put that hand up!
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:17 PM   #104
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Eh, I'm not on the right, and Michael Moore's opinion weighs with me somewhere between that of Alex Jones and a conversation overheard in a bar. In other words, anything he endorses is going to be viewed with a bit more suspicion unless there are additional facts to overcome that.

But that's just my opinion.
Old 2nd August 2019, 03:43 PM   #105
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Absolutely an endorsement.

The right would sell it as an indictment, but then, they have people like Tucker Carlson to look to.

Regardless of how anyone feels about Moore, he at least has the profile to make the statement very public, which is good.

The Dems could certainly do with her about now.

Imagine the ads for her - they could just show her and her obvious warmth towards Dubbya and she sells herself as someone who isn't afraid of the right, but would do it right.

And Moore is absolutely right; of anyone potentially standing against Trump, she is the one who would destroy him utterly and wipe the stain of his racism, sexism and all-round vileness from the White House.

Come on Michelle - put that hand up!
Huh.

This whole time, I thought Barack was supposed to be the Obamassiah.

Turns out, he's just Michelle's John the Baptist.
Old 2nd August 2019, 04:33 PM   #106
carlitos
"más divertido"

Hard to argue with the kid who said Justin Beiber would be a better president than Trump.

Justin Bieber / Johnny Manziel 2020.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics