ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , presidential condidates , Tulsi Gabbard

Old 28th July 2019, 11:05 AM   #1
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Tulsi, Tulsi, Tulsi :(

I had so much hope, was willing to forgive her past transgressions, as she really showed that she was hearing what was going on with the tech monopolies, even to the point of appearing on Rogan.

Like all the good, bipartisan parts of McCain, without the ....well, McCain part of it

Around here our biggest concerns with Tulsi weren't the anti-gay stuff she did as a teen (at the time you wouldn't last 5 minutes on the street gay bashing in hawaii, and probably wanted to be able to go outside sometime), it was the fact that she pandered

HARD

She would pander to the anti-science crowd again and again to the point where even the pro science people had to vote republican

She pandered to the anti-evolution side in education

She pandered to the anti-vaxxers. The legacy of that on Maui for instance, is insane

She pandered to the anti-GMO nuts to the point where they got hawaiians to vote to make their traditional foods illegal

Its not even like she was pandering to her local base, the people whipping this stuff up were your typical california, seattle left wing science deniers, the typical anti-gmo anti science nuts.

Hawaii has a conformity problem that most people wouldn't believe unless they've been here, where the people most reliant on the federal government for food march in lock step with whatever their "cultural leaders" (actually no such thing, as again ,most of these are from california) say....If one guy wears a shirt, they ALL wear that shirt. If the one guy punches someone, they ALL mob him.

The latest dustup has these californians telling the gullible mobs that someone is going to put nuclear powered telescopes on a mountain and use "the aquifer" that everyone drinks from (there is no one aquifer, only oahu is like that) for cooling and all the water will be poisoned.

First they just blocked the roads....nevermind that hawaii is 50th in education or any measure of intelligence, we NEED as much science as we can get. Then the violence, as usual, just like in the cases of vaccines and gmos started.

And now Tulsi has endorsed and pandered to them

I am sooooo bummed. Like betrayed. She really felt right.

Lets hope they let Yang run
Old 28th July 2019, 11:40 AM   #2
applecorped
Suspended

A politician who panders? I'm shocked!
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 11:46 AM   #3
Planigale
Illuminator

I assume this alludes to 'Tora, tora, tora". But for those of us who don't live in Hawaii could you explain what Tulsi means? Is it Hawaiian? Is it a person, could you link to an article, or give a full name, or position?
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 12:00 PM   #4
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

I too wonder who this person is. Context, please?
Old 28th July 2019, 12:00 PM   #5
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsi_Gabbard

She's a Representative from Hawaii who was making enough sense that the corporate democrats wanted to stomp her. Probably most in the news right now for suing google over blocking her ads right at the critical point in the 2020 presidential race

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/25/t...es-google.html

She was willing to ditch tribalism in order to get things done and actually communicate with the American people, regardless of party.

She has a lot of dirty laundry that she seemed willing to rise above and a lot of us wanted to give her a chance, but youch.
Old 28th July 2019, 12:07 PM   #6
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
She's a Representative from Hawaii who was making enough sense that the corporate democrats wanted to stomp her.
Does one have to be a corporate lackey to stomp someone who panders to the loony anti-science fringe?
Old 28th July 2019, 12:45 PM   #7
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

No, there were plenty who were willing to back Obama's anti-science banning of smoking cessation products
Old 28th July 2019, 12:56 PM   #8
Venom
Master Poster

I like Tulsi.

The crowd she attracts includes some if the most arrogant, self righteous, counterproductive conspiracy mongers who are quick to attack fellow progressives if they so much as bring up her name.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 03:49 PM   #9
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Gee it would be too bad if she drops out. We'd only have, like, maybe 27 other candidates to choose from?*

*I'm a registered Democrat, and I think this is ridiculous. At least 22 of these people are no-chancers.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 04:08 PM   #10
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

I had so much hope, was willing to forgive her past transgressions, as she really showed that she was hearing what was going on with the tech monopolies, even to the point of appearing on Rogan.

Like all the good, bipartisan parts of McCain, without the ....well, McCain part of it

Around here our biggest concerns with Tulsi weren't the anti-gay stuff she did as a teen
You left out the fact she has reversed positions on this and has apologized for her former stance.

Quote:
(at the time you wouldn't last 5 minutes on the street gay bashing in hawaii, and probably wanted to be able to go outside sometime), it was the fact that she pandered

HARD

She would pander to the anti-science crowd again and again to the point where even the pro science people had to vote republican,
Evidence?

Quote:
She pandered to the anti-evolution side in education
Evidence?

Quote:
She pandered to the anti-vaxxers. The legacy of that on Maui for instance, is insane
Evidence?

Quote:
She pandered to the anti-GMO nuts to the point where they got hawaiians to vote to make their traditional foods illegal
Evidence for both?

Quote:
Its not even like she was pandering to her local base, the people whipping this stuff up were your typical california, seattle left wing science deniers, the typical anti-gmo anti science nuts.

Hawaii has a conformity problem that most people wouldn't believe unless they've been here, where the people most reliant on the federal government for food march in lock step with whatever their "cultural leaders" (actually no such thing, as again ,most of these are from california) say....If one guy wears a shirt, they ALL wear that shirt. If the one guy punches someone, they ALL mob him.

The latest dustup has these californians telling the gullible mobs that someone is going to put nuclear powered telescopes on a mountain and use "the aquifer" that everyone drinks from (there is no one aquifer, only oahu is like that) for cooling and all the water will be poisoned.

First they just blocked the roads....nevermind that hawaii is 50th in education or any measure of intelligence, we NEED as much science as we can get. Then the violence, as usual, just like in the cases of vaccines and gmos started.

And now Tulsi has endorsed and pandered to them
What is your evidence she has endorsed the nutty position you describe? Se has gone on record as supporting the protestors over their belief Mauna Kea is sacred, saying "there are spiritual and cultural issues that are being ignored." There is no evidence she believes the telescope is nuclear powered and will contaminate the groundwater several hundred metres below.

Quote:
I am sooooo bummed. Like betrayed. She really felt right.

Lets hope they let Yang run
Overall this post sounds quite hysterical. It's long on rhetoric and short on facts. True, that's par for the course for the politics section, but this is also supposed to be a skeptics' board. It would be nice to some overlap every once in a while.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 28th July 2019 at 04:10 PM.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 05:04 PM   #11
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Remember, I called Tulsi "trash" first.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 05:19 PM   #12
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsi_Gabbard

She's a Representative from Hawaii who was making enough sense that the corporate democrats wanted to stomp her. Probably most in the news right now for suing google over blocking her ads right at the critical point in the 2020 presidential race
There was no critical point in the 2020 presidential race for Tulsi. She's kind of the Ron Paul of the Democrats.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 05:43 PM   #13
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Just read the tribalism in this thread if you want to wonder why trump won 2020
Old 28th July 2019, 05:48 PM   #14
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Posters contradicting your view is NOT "tribalism".
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 07:59 PM   #15
Blue Mountain

What?

Asking for evidence is not a symptom of tribalism. You posted five claims that you didn't back up. Remember, "That which is alleged without evidence can be rejected without evidence." Unless you can back up your claims the default reaction should be to ignore them.

Sadly, way too many people regardless of their politics are far too willing to accept unsubstantiated claims over established facts.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 08:09 PM   #16
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

... She has a lot of dirty laundry that she seemed willing to rise above and a lot of us wanted to give her a chance, but youch.
How about you provide evidence of this dirty laundry?

I quickly looked up your claim that she was (is?) anti vax and didn't see any evidence of that.

Since you're quick to presume that challenges amount to tribalism, I'll share with you that my impression of Gabbard isn't very positive.
Old 28th July 2019, 09:43 PM   #17
portlandatheist
Illuminator

The telescope controversy is worthy of its own thread. I looked and couldn't find one. Is there one I haven't found?
portlandatheist is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2019, 07:02 AM   #18
Doubt
Philosopher

I first heard of her when she did an early town hall even on CNN. Same one at Buttagieg in it and I had not heard of him before that either.

From what I can remember she evaded just about every question asked of her. Not a fan after that.
Old 29th July 2019, 08:24 AM   #19
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
The telescope controversy is worthy of its own thread. I looked and couldn't find one. Is there one I haven't found?
I vaguely remember such a thread, but I can't recall the title. It was probably something skeptical-snarky, though, rather than plainly informative of the topic and easily searchable.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2019, 11:59 AM   #20
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I vaguely remember such a thread, but I can't recall the title. It was probably something skeptical-snarky, though, rather than plainly informative of the topic and easily searchable.
Telescope Fight in Hawaii
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...waii+telescope
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2019, 12:20 PM   #21
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Gee it would be too bad if she drops out. We'd only have, like, maybe 27 other candidates to choose from?*

*I'm a registered Democrat, and I think this is ridiculous. At least 22 of these people are no-chancers.
Its almost like the Dems hadn't heard about what happened in the last Rep primary.

This makes me want a return to the smoke filled rooms, kind of like most parliamentary systems choose there leaders.

Last edited by ahhell; 29th July 2019 at 12:22 PM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2019, 01:22 PM   #22
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
thanks!
portlandatheist is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2019, 04:09 PM   #23
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Tulsi is tied with Marriane Williamson for being the biggest Crackpot in the Democratic primaries.
I really hope both are removed from the process early on. They are not helping the Dems any.
As someone who thinks the future of Amereicn as a free country will depend on keeping Trump from being reelected, I have real concerns the Dems will blow it.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2019, 04:31 PM   #24
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Tulsi is tied with Marriane Williamson for being the biggest Crackpot in the Democratic primaries.
I really hope both are removed from the process early on. They are not helping the Dems any.
As someone who thinks the future of Amereicn as a free country will depend on keeping Trump from being reelected, I have real concerns the Dems will blow it.
As someone who knows the future of America as free country is not really at risk, I wouldn't lose my mind if either Gabbard or Williamson got elected. Though I'd prefer Williamson. So I'll probably vote for her in the primaries.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2019, 05:32 PM   #25
applecorped
Suspended

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Remember, I called Tulsi "trash" first.
what a coincidence!
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2019, 08:05 PM   #26
Blue Mountain

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Tulsi is tied with Marriane Williamson for being the biggest Crackpot in the Democratic primaries..
[Citation required.]

You're at least the the second person in thread thread to level an accusation that she's somewhat out of step with reality, but like the OP you've offered no evidence for it. Please show some examples, preferably with links back to a source, that would show someone who hasn't followed her career and who heard her name for the first time in this thread (that would be me) that she's not a worthy candidate for whatever position she's holding or seeking.
Old 2nd August 2019, 08:19 PM   #27
portlandatheist
Illuminator

An op-ed on Tulsi from the WaPo
Quote:
When opposing congressional legislation calling for humanitarian aid for the Syrian people and protection of civilians, Gabbard called it a thinly veiled regime-change effort using the “rationale of humanitarianism.” That’s an atrocious response to what State Department officials have called the worst machinery of death since the Nazis.

Other Democratic candidates have promised to end U.S. military adventurism without making excuses for a mass murderer. It’s neither progressive nor liberal to defend Assad, a fascist, totalitarian psychopath who can never peacefully preside over Syria after what he has done.
She's nearly as deserving as Trump is for Russian support.
Old 2nd August 2019, 08:28 PM   #28
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

[

Funny you should say that...

Pro-Kremlin news have been quite enthusiastic about her, and Russian Twitter bots have supported her attack on Kamala Harris.
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:32 PM   #29
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
As someone who knows the future of America as free country is not really at risk, I wouldn't lose my mind if either Gabbard or Williamson got elected. Though I'd prefer Williamson. So I'll probably vote for her in the primaries.
Now I know you're just trolling.

Marianne Williamson was interviewed by a 9/11 conspiracy theorist in 2012 — and seemed to think he was making sense.

These Old Marianne Williamson Tweets Only Prove That She's A National Treasure [sarcasm]
Quote:
And now that everyone has searched her, we also know her past history of being an anti-vaxxer, which she conveniently backtracked prior to last night’s debate. Quite the timing there, huh? That’s quite the timing for that come to Jesus moment. Yet, it goes beyond that. From Williamson’s past tweets, which only further shows that she’s a gem and national treasure, it reinforced her past beliefs that medicine doesn’t cure disease, positive thinking does (via Daily Beast):

In fact, if you read the tweet closely, and if you know about Williamson’s 30-year career in the New Age world, two things become clear: first, she hasn’t backed down at all, and second, she’s been anti-science, anti-medicine, and anti-rationality for decades.

Williamson was an anti-vaxxer before anti-vaxxers were anti-vaxxers. ...

On The View, Williamson said, “I do not trust the propaganda on either side,” equating thousands of hours of scientific research with conspiracy theories hatched by ignoramuses. In a statement to The Daily Beast, she said that “public safety must be carefully balanced with the right of individuals to make their own decisions,” yet again misconstruing the public health risk of unvaccinated citizens....

“The AIDS virus is not more powerful than God,” Williamson told a group of HIV positive disciples, according to a 1992 Los Angeles Times expose, written when Williamson was still in the early days of her fame.

For years, Williamson…and others told gay men that they could cure themselves if only they would properly visualize themselves getting well. Not just gay men, of course; people with cancer and other terminal illnesses, people struggling with obesity, people with chronic health conditions—to all of these, Williamson and her ilk said that they had the power to heal themselves, science be damned.
This is someone you don't care if she becomes POTUS?
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:43 PM   #30
Venom
Master Poster

Ouch.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 10:04 PM   #31
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I can't stand her. Why does that make me a tribalist?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 10:36 PM   #32
ArchSas
Thinker

I've seen a lot of pushback on this within the past few days from her supporters. From what I've seen, their points usually revolve around Tulsi not actually being an apologist for Assad, but really just against getting involved in wars in general, knowing the cost because of her service, wanting to focus on diplomacy, etc. I tend to lean towards giving people the benefit of the doubt when it come to criticism like this, because the media really does love to take things out of context something (especially with non-status-quo figures), but I really can't do that with Tulsi after doing a bit of reading. She's been trying to walk back her statements on Assad, and her supporters are doing lots of handwaving, but she really did seem to have a soft spot for Assad. She also has some indirect involvement with Hindu nationalist organizations (again, that she's tried to distance herself from since running for president) and is a big fan of Modi. For as much as she paints herself as a (somewhat) anti-war non-interventionist, she really does seem to have a soft spot for some dictators (coincidentally, ones that perpetuate or encourage violence against Muslims and have supporters that have either donated money to her or taken her on "fact finding" trips), and she's had a lot of really hawkish things to say about the war on terrorism in the past.

https://theintercept.com/2019/01/05/...ionalist-modi/
https://theweek.com/articles/855766/...rd-no-peacenik

Last edited by ArchSas; 2nd August 2019 at 10:54 PM.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 10:48 PM   #33
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

And I'd venture to guess, she's getting it. Coincidentally first-confirmed by CE, Tulsi is once again the most-searched candidate after the second debates. That's two debates in a row where Ron Paul Tulsi has a greater web presence than real-world presence.

Gee, this is hardly familiar at all. Either 99.75% of those searchers don't like what they see or those searchers are allergic to answering polls or simply not eligible for the polls... How dare they discount the opinions of the great nation of Botsfarma!

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 11:46 PM   #34
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

If Marianne Williamson becomes POTUS, there will be more mainstream support for stuff like Medical Intuitives like Bandy Lee. You should be happy!

Old 3rd August 2019, 01:17 AM   #35
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Hell, the television show Our Cartoon President just refers to her as "Crazy Russian Plant."

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 01:19 AM   #36
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
And I'd venture to guess, she's getting it. Coincidentally first-confirmed by CE, Tulsi is once again the most-searched candidate after the second debates. That's two debates in a row where Ron Paul Tulsi has a greater web presence than real-world presence.

Gee, this is hardly familiar at all. Either 99.75% of those searchers don't like what they see or those searchers are allergic to answering polls or simply not eligible for the polls... How dare they discount the opinions of the great nation of Botsfarma!
Huh. Maybe.
I think there's also a chance normal people searched her and it just didn't persuade them to choose her. Especially since there's so much rabidly anti-Gabbard stuff out there on the web.

But you're definitely right that the Russian gov has quite a motive to try to boost any candidate who's opposed to ME regime change wars.

Last edited by kellyb; 3rd August 2019 at 01:46 AM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 01:38 AM   #37
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Article about Russian support

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics