ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , anti-depressants , marianne williamson , presidential candidates

Old 29th July 2019, 04:00 PM   #41
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
She has a good heart.
Uh, you do know what the Road To Hell is paved with, Don't you?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2019, 04:02 PM   #42
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Of course the Trump supporters who are laughing at the Democrats over Williamson should take a good look at some of the preachers who are supporting Trump. They are even worse.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2019, 05:36 PM   #43
applecorped
Suspended

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Of course the Trump supporters who are laughing at the Democrats over Williamson should take a good look at some of the preachers who are supporting Trump. They are even worse.
Jeremiah Wright worse?
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2019, 06:08 PM   #44
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Which Trump supporters are laughing at the Dems over Williamson? I actually like her. I'm laughing at the Dems over Biden.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 06:03 AM   #45
lomiller
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ArchSas View Post
So was Trump, until he wasn't.

Marianne actually kind of scares me in a way than none of the other non-frontrunners do. She already has a cultish following (thanks to the support of Oprah) and knows how to use the kind of language that tons of Americans already get behind. Given enough exposure and legitimacy by the media, she could easily become a major force. I'm really, really happy that doesn't seem to be happening the way it did with Trump.
With so many of the rational Republicans fleeing to the Democrats in the last couple decades itís pretty hard for the nutbars to gain much traction on the Democrat side the way Trump did with Republicans. Democrats are also not nearly so committed to ďvoting for my party no matter whatĒ so if they do happen to win a nomination they typically donít get the backing they need to win the election.
Old 30th July 2019, 06:11 AM   #46
lomiller
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Despair and depression must be hard for some people to differentiate
ADHD in adults, particularly adult women, is usually misdiagnosed as Depression.

Thatís just an example, but the point remains that whether she is a nutbar or not what you quoted in your OP is pretty much accurate. Depression is a fairly common misdiagnoses, itís also underdiagnosed which I suppose is what some people are reacting to but the correct response to something being underdiagnosed isnít to diagnose it in people that donít have it or worse have some other treatable condition.
Old 30th July 2019, 10:21 AM   #47
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Uh, you do know what the Road To Hell is paved with, Don't you?
The road to heaven is paved with the same stuff. Pointless aphorisms are pointless. Like, "the ends don't justify the means".

Of course the ends justify the means, jackass. What else could possibly do so?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 10:44 AM   #48
ArchSas
Thinker

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
With so many of the rational Republicans fleeing to the Democrats in the last couple decades itís pretty hard for the nutbars to gain much traction on the Democrat side the way Trump did with Republicans. Democrats are also not nearly so committed to ďvoting for my party no matter whatĒ so if they do happen to win a nomination they typically donít get the backing they need to win the election.
That's a good point. Looking back, I guess I didn't actually say this, but I don't think Marianne will ever get the nomination; what worries me is her potential to become a disruptive force generally. Like you said, dems are in general less likely to vote for someone they don't like purely out of party loyalty and I just have fears about another case like the "Bernie Bros" not voting for Hilary. Whether or not that was as common as some people think, I certainly knew a few of those people, and I'm worried (admittedly, it's very slight, and I don't actually expect it to happen) about that happening again. Marianne is just a candidate I think is being seriously underestimated in regards to her ability to actually gather the kind of following that would be a problem for the actual nominee.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 08:49 AM   #49
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I've been reading up on the roots of the mid-Atlantic accent. How very odd. It's not an "organic", regional accent. The people who speak that way are (were, more like it) taught in prep school.
Old 31st July 2019, 09:09 AM   #50
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
the justifying is impressive and expected. Good thing she wasn't a Republican
In hindsight, here's some justification for you.
Originally Posted by APA
Research shows that all too often, Americans are taking medications that may not work or may be inappropriate for their mental health problems
link
I don't know if this is true. My sense is yes, but what do I know? Either way, Williamson is hardly taking a position here that's out of the mainstream.

Last edited by varwoche; 31st July 2019 at 09:51 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 09:24 AM   #51
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The more I hear Williamson, the more I like her.
Old 31st July 2019, 09:33 AM   #52
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
As a president, Trump is pretty awful. As a proof of concept, that a jackass who isn't a professional politician can run the country without destroying it, Trump is great.

I say, now that the concept has been proven, let's really explore it. Bring on the Perots, the Naders, the Williamsons. Bring on jackasses of all stripes and colors. Bring on real Americans with real opinions - no matter how stupid and wrong. Let's have presidents who use the bully pulpit to have real conversations with their fellow citizens. Businessmen. Plumbers.Fast-food franchisees. Crystal shopkeepers.

Let's take a good, long break from the lawyers and the lobbyists and the other career politicians. Let's start having national conversations that are actual conversations between actual citizens, rather than sermons and trial balloons from the political class.

Establishment politicians won't do that because it's safer for their careers to run the establishment playbook. Trump could do it, but he won't because he's too Trump. But Williamson? She seems like the kind of person that would pretty much do only that. And I for one would be happy to see it.
Old 31st July 2019, 09:33 AM   #53
wasapi
Philosopher

I agree. I was pleasantly surprised by her last night.
Old 31st July 2019, 09:55 AM   #54
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

she has some powerful endorsement:

Quote:
a group of 13 chaos magicians, witches and energy workers were doing synchronized “gestures” to help their candidate gain more visibility in the presidential race and more airtime during Tuesday's Democratic debate.
I think this groups should meet with Mike Pence to negotiate a supernatural ceasefire for the election - no spells, no prayers.
Old 31st July 2019, 10:02 AM   #55
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
she has some powerful endorsement:

I think this groups should meet with Mike Pence to negotiate a supernatural ceasefire for the election - no spells, no prayers.
Maybe they should team up with these guys.

Thousands of witches seems like a pretty powerful endorsement for the progressive cause.
Old 31st July 2019, 10:02 AM   #56
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

As a president, Trump is pretty awful. As a proof of concept, that a jackass who isn't a professional politician can run the country without destroying it, Trump is great.
While "destroy" is a word that is both strong and nebulous, I have grave doubts.
Old 31st July 2019, 10:08 AM   #57
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
While "destroy" is a word that is both strong and nebulous, I have grave doubts.
That's fair.

I am a little concerned that President Williamson might push the red button out of a misguided sense of love.
Old 6th August 2019, 01:54 PM   #58
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Williamson still polling at 0% after the debate.

Williamson is not Democrat Trump, or if she is, the voters aren't having it.

https://twitter.com/natemcdermott/st...25186243809281
Old 6th August 2019, 05:43 PM   #59
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

I'm glad you agree, because I have a modest proposal...
Old 6th August 2019, 05:46 PM   #60
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Sometimes nothing justifies the means...ever think of that??
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 05:53 PM   #61
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
I'm glad you agree, because I have a modest proposal...
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Sometimes nothing justifies the means...ever think of that??
Not to say that any end justifies every means that could be proposed. But if the ends don't justify the means, nothing else will, either.

At most you can say that this particular end does not justify this particular means.
Old 6th August 2019, 06:32 PM   #62
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Has she recanted from her position that gay men with AIDS shouldn't take the chemicals and should simply love themselves back to health?
Old 7th August 2019, 05:01 PM   #63
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Williamson still polling at 0% after the debate.

Williamson is not Democrat Trump, or if she is, the voters aren't having it.

https://twitter.com/natemcdermott/st...25186243809281
She has way too much baggage from her New Age Guru days. SHe is going nowhere fast.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th August 2019, 05:03 PM   #64
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Has she recanted from her position that gay men with AIDS shouldn't take the chemicals and should simply love themselves back to health?
If she actually got some traction..which she is not getting, she would be spending half her time retracting crap she said in her role as New Age Healer...…
She is a kook on many,many, issues, folks. Enough to disqualify her from seriously consideration.
Just amazed so many alleged rational thinkers were cutting her slack because she mouthed a few p0litical platitudes.
And I would trust her on health care the same way I would trust some Fundy Christian Faith Healer. Same basic BS, just different bottles.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 7th August 2019 at 05:07 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics