ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags mass shootings , racism incidents , racism issues , shooting incidents , Texas incidents

Old 8th August 2019, 06:27 PM   #281
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Seriously, the best defense they've got is "the shooter says any connection between himself and Trump is fake news."

A rebuttal that basically contradicts itself at face value...

ETA: I mean if he preemptively called any attempt to prosecute him for his crimes a "witch hunt" would that mean the police have to let him go?

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 8th August 2019 at 06:29 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 07:01 PM   #282
Lurch
Muse

With the El Paso shooter being a Trump supporter, it would make sense for him to try to minimize any connection between them so as to put people that much more off the scent and thereby provide some cover for Trump. After all, he might rather suggest a non association in order that Trump take less heat and thereby have a better chance to remain in power.

It's kind of obvious, in a way. The shooter is *explicitly* trying to steer readers off such a scent. This betrays what he thinks is a clever strategy. A less 'clever' person--from his perspective--would just thoughtlessly crow his sympatico connection with the President in order to accrue accolades from his community of sickos. But in the process direct toward Trump potentially damaging scrutiny. Hence the desire to shield his 'patron' via some unsubtle rhetorical ledgerdemain.

To me this shooter comes across as somewhat intelligent at least. More than a fired-up, reactive type in the mold of Trump. Someone who might gaze a bit farther ahead than just the next 10 minutes.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 07:02 PM   #283
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You know someone is going to have to do a parody of that old Marty Robbins
ballad Streets Of "El Paso" about Donnie's visit.....
If I don't nitpick and correct this, my Montana born and raised, Western music loving dad will rise out of his grave at the National Cemetery near Portland and haunt me forever. You're getting Streets of Laredo and El Paso mixed up.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 07:38 PM   #284
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Byron York actually took a look at the El Paso shooter's manifesto. Guess what? The media have been mis-reporting it. I know, shock of shocks, right?

A Trump supporter, who only mentioned Trump once
He doesn't have to mention Trump to be inspired by Trump's vile beliefs.

and then only to say that his beliefs predated Trump
He's 21, and his views "predate Trump"? Well since Trump has been a racist most of his life, the shooter must have been born a racist. Even if you only go back to the beginning of Trump's political career in 2011 as a leading proponent of "birther" conspiracy theories, the shooter would have been 13 years old. That is very early to be forging the kinds of political opinions that lead to becoming a rampage killer

..and that Trump did not inspire him.
This is called a disclaimer. Trump is his hero, and he doesn't want him blamed. (and what Lurch and Delphic Oracle said).

Another part of the manifesto dealt with his concerns about automation taking away jobs and that a universal basic income and universal healthcare was needed:

So his biggest problem with immigrants appears to be that they are making it hard to pass UBI and universal health care?
IMO, when he says "universal" probably means "universal for whites - -Blacks and brown people not included"

Last edited by smartcooky; 8th August 2019 at 07:40 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 07:41 PM   #285
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Seriously, the best defense they've got is "the shooter says any connection between himself and Trump is fake news."

A rebuttal that basically contradicts itself at face value...

ETA: I mean if he preemptively called any attempt to prosecute him for his crimes a "witch hunt" would that mean the police have to let him go?
If you can't trust a guy who assures you that he was racist back when racist wasn't cool, who can you trust?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 07:57 PM   #286
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
It was crass, it was ridiculous, it was an embarrassment.

But it was also Trump talking to medical staff, if I recall. It wasn't meeting with victims of the shooting. It was inappropriate and needy, but it didn't make the visit "all about" the size of his crowds.

The man assumed that everyone would be just as fascinated by him and his accomplishments as he is. To be fair, I do that some too, though hopefully not to this extent.
So that medical staff wouldn't be offended? They saw all the damage done. How you you dismiss that because they themselves weren't injured?

Have you ever seen a guy with half his head gone? Ever see a new quadriplegic with his young kids visiting? Speaking from experience, it's pretty effing traumatic.
Old 8th August 2019, 08:19 PM   #287
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The shooter, like Trump, was likely raised racist. Trump isn't the cause of racism in the USA, just a shining example of it. And he didn't make the shooter a racist, just made him feel empowered to act on it.
Defending Trump on the basis that the shooter was already racist is idiotic.
Old 8th August 2019, 09:19 PM   #288
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
If I don't nitpick and correct this, my Montana born and raised, Western music loving dad will rise out of his grave at the National Cemetery near Portland and haunt me forever. You're getting Streets of Laredo and El Paso mixed up.
Just to be clear:

Out in the west Texas town of El Paso....
Quote:
I fell in love with a Mexican girl.

As I walked out in the streets of Laredo... ... spied a young cowboy ...
Old 9th August 2019, 02:38 AM   #289
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

In response to this shooting and another shooting in a Walmart this week, Walmart are removing violent video games from their shelves...but are still selling guns.

'murica.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 9th August 2019 at 02:40 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 04:32 AM   #290
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
In response to this shooting and another shooting in a Walmart this week, Walmart are removing violent video games from their shelves...but are still selling guns.

'murica.
No wonder The Onion has given up trying to satire the USA attitude towards guns.
Old 9th August 2019, 04:40 AM   #291
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The shooter, like Trump, was likely raised racist.
I don't know. Some of the most devout ones are the converts, as they have something to prove.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 06:54 AM   #292
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post

'murica.
People still buy physical copies of games? I didn't know that.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 07:00 AM   #293
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
They aren't actually removing the games. Only the displays and signs. Maybe they'll replace them with a display of the new accessories for the AR-15.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 07:10 AM   #294
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
They aren't actually removing the games. Only the displays and signs. Maybe they'll replace them with a display of the new accessories for the AR-15.
The logic behind this is seriously brain busting.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 07:26 AM   #295
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
To me this shooter comes across as somewhat intelligent at least. More than a fired-up, reactive type in the mold of Trump. Someone who might gaze a bit farther ahead than just the next 10 minutes.
I don't know, according to reports:

Quote:
Patrick Crusius, the detained suspect in Saturday's shooting, told investigators this was one reason why he chose El Paso, the sources said. Crusius believed that if he committed the attack near his home in a suburb of Dallas, his family and acquaintances would have known that he did it, the sources said.
As if they wouldn't be able to piece it together when his body was found, he was arrested, etc.

Old 9th August 2019, 07:29 AM   #296
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
To be fair, WalMart doesn't sell AR-15s any more. I doubt they sell accessories for those, but I could be wrong.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 10:15 AM   #297
ArchSas
Thinker

Why wouldn't they? Physical copies are usually cheaper (for example, a few months after it was released, I got AC: Odyssey for $25 new and it's still $60 in digital form), and you can sell them when you're done. I only think digital copies are worth it with old games that are heavily discounted during sales.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 12:39 PM   #298
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

They still sell lots of DVDs too. Mebbe even CDs.

Also blank audio and VHS cassettes. (At least on their web site. Not sure about the stores.)

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 02:45 PM   #299
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by ArchSas View Post
Why wouldn't they? Physical copies are usually cheaper (for example, a few months after it was released, I got AC: Odyssey for $25 new and it's still $60 in digital form), and you can sell them when you're done. I only think digital copies are worth it with old games that are heavily discounted during sales.
I have no doubts there are individual cases where physical copies can come in handy (I never sell my video games because I want them), but I don't think I'll ever buy a physical copy again. They're nothing more than clutter to me.

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
They still sell lots of DVDs too. Mebbe even CDs.

Also blank audio and VHS cassettes. (At least on their web site. Not sure about the stores.)
Gross.

/derail

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics