ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Ilhan Omar , immigration issues , racism incidents , racism issues , Trump controversies

Old 8th August 2019, 12:18 PM   #1201
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I'm getting conflicting answers:

And now you're saying it's not simple.
There is no conflict in any of Cabbage's quotes. Did you quote the wrong person?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 12:22 PM   #1202
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
There is no conflict in any of Cabbage's quotes. Did you quote the wrong person?
There's a conflict between Cabbage's position and Craig4's. Did you not notice?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 03:48 PM   #1203
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Different people have different positions. Ever consider just thinking for yourself instead?
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 05:25 PM   #1204
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

That's probably because we're not the same person.
Old 8th August 2019, 05:35 PM   #1205
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Different people have different positions. Ever consider just thinking for yourself instead?
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
That's probably because we're not the same person.
You guys just donít get it. You are seen as Libruls so you have to be in lockstep on every opinion. You know, itís like how those other guys who have to defend every single thing Trump does, regardless of how racist, unethical, or illegal his activities are. So get with the program. Read and memorize the latest manual. Be sure to read all previous Librul posts to ensure that there is no conflict. Itís so easy to confuse Trump supporters if they have to deal with more than a single perspective.
Old 8th August 2019, 05:42 PM   #1206
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
You guys just donít get it. You are seen as Libruls so you have to be in lockstep on every opinion. You know, itís like how those other guys who have to defend every single thing Trump does, regardless of how racist, unethical, or illegal his activities are. So get with the program. Read and memorize the latest manual. Be sure to read all previous Librul posts to ensure that there is no conflict. Itís so easy to confuse Trump supporters if they have to deal with more than a single perspective.
For the record, I voted for both Bob Packwood (before I knew about the sexual assault thing) and Mark Hatfield. I'm not liberal, I'm anti-stupid and anti-treason.
Old 8th August 2019, 05:51 PM   #1207
Steve
Philosopher

For the record, I voted for both Bob Packwood (before I knew about the sexual assault thing) and Mark Hatfield. I'm not liberal, I'm anti-stupid and anti-treason.
I apologize. I should not have assumed your political views.

I was looking at it from Zigguratís perspective where, it seems, any opinions appearing to him to be to the left of his are automatically liberal.
Old 8th August 2019, 08:07 PM   #1208
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

And I voted for Dan Evan's. I'd happily vote for that sort of Republican today, but you can't.
Old 8th August 2019, 09:58 PM   #1209
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
And I voted for Dan Evan's. I'd happily vote for that sort of Republican today, but you can't.
Dan Evan's what?

WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 10:53 PM   #1210
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I apologize. I should not have assumed your political views.

I was looking at it from Zigguratís perspective where, it seems, any opinions appearing to him to be to the left of his are automatically liberal.
It's okay. I guess it's what we've come to as a nation. If simple loyalty to the nation is a liberal value, I don't mind being called a liberal. It's odd the disloyalty and treason are suddenly conservative values.
Old 9th August 2019, 01:32 AM   #1211
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

It's okay. I guess it's what we've come to as a nation. If simple loyalty to the nation is a liberal value, I don't mind being called a liberal. It's odd the disloyalty and treason are suddenly conservative values.
IMO, most conservatives are actually liberals: Conservatism is a viewpoint or attitude, not really a distinct political philosophy. The conflict these days isn't really conservative versus liberal; it's progressive versus reactionary, and when one side defines itself by simply being opposed to everything the other side wants to do, it's hard to find compromises.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 01:43 AM   #1212
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
IMO, most conservatives are actually liberals: Conservatism is a viewpoint or attitude, not really a distinct political philosophy. The conflict these days isn't really conservative versus liberal; it's progressive versus reactionary, and when one side defines itself by simply being opposed to everything the other side wants to do, it's hard to find compromises.
Maybe I've misunderstood or maybe it's a fundamental difference between UK and US usage but from my perspective, conservatives wish to conserve - i.e. are averse to change and are traditional in their views and outlook - whether they are conservative politically, religiously or in some other way.

Because of this, there has always been a considerable overlap between conservatives (and in the UK's case Conservatives) and reactionaries.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 02:13 AM   #1213
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Maybe I've misunderstood or maybe it's a fundamental difference between UK and US usage but from my perspective, conservatives wish to conserve - i.e. are averse to change and are traditional in their views and outlook - whether they are conservative politically, religiously or in some other way.

Because of this, there has always been a considerable overlap between conservatives (and in the UK's case Conservatives) and reactionaries.
I think you've got it right. I'm just saying that I see being "averse to change and are traditional in their views and outlook" as a viewpoint that easily fits within the liberal political philosophy, provided that you accept our current form of government and accept a democratic process to resolve differences with people who have a different viewpoint on what does or doesn't need changing. Resistance to change by itself isn't really a political philosophy, and reactionaries can easily drift into preferring fascism to liberal democracy.
Old 9th August 2019, 08:57 AM   #1214
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Dan Evan's what?

Umm, we can't go into that.

This is a family appropriate forum. No obscenity or other bad stuff like that.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 09:14 AM   #1215
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Donald J. Trump Retweeted

Oliver McGee PhD MBA
@OliverMcGee
Retweet if you see @IlhanMN GETS A PASS By The Media says @TuckerCarlson!

"Media ignores @Ilhan Omar's Tax Fraud with someone she wasn't married to! Omar's Marriage History can't be verified by local reporters on accusations she married her brother to skip our immigration laws!"

Video in link https://twitter.com/i/status/1159629234333200386
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 09:23 AM   #1216
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

Oliver McGee PhD MBA
@OliverMcGee

"Media ignores @Ilhan Omar's Tax Fraud with someone she wasn't married to! Omar's Marriage History can't be verified by local reporters on accusations she married her brother to skip our immigration laws!"

He just doesn't know when to quit, does he?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 09:24 AM   #1217
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
One might reasonably expect that two people in the same conversation, one of them saying hate has no place, and the other saying hate has a place, to find each other and debate the matter between them. You and Craig4 seem to disagree on a pretty fundamental and important question. Don't you think maybe you should try to resolve that disagreement? Or at least defend it against such blatant contradiction?

Ziggurat's asking a question. You and Craig4 are giving contradictory answers. Which of you is right, and why?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 09:25 AM   #1218
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Never stop never stopping!
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 09:32 AM   #1219
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Dan Evan's what?

Stinkin' autocorrect!
Old 9th August 2019, 10:09 AM   #1220
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Oliver McGee PhD MBA
@OliverMcGee

What sort of academic includes PhD in his name? I understand it's common in business settings, but he's a professor of engineering. Mere puffery to include the degree.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 10:11 AM   #1221
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
One might reasonably expect that two people in the same conversation, one of them saying hate has no place, and the other saying hate has a place, to find each other and debate the matter between them. You and Craig4 seem to disagree on a pretty fundamental and important question. Don't you think maybe you should try to resolve that disagreement? Or at least defend it against such blatant contradiction?

Ziggurat's asking a question. You and Craig4 are giving contradictory answers. Which of you is right, and why?
As you and Zigg are unable to hold up your end of the debate, the new tactic is to try to get your opponents to argue amongst themselves?

You should certainly discuss with Zigg why he can't seem to tell the difference between Craig4 and Cabbage. Perhaps he isn't putting as much into this as you are?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 10:13 AM   #1222
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

It's a dull, vague comment. "Hate has no place in X" is nigh meaningless. It all depends on what one means by hate (and, for that matter, having a place) and most disagreements on such empty slogans will come down to differences in semantics.

But it's cute seeing you and Zig trying to start a kerfuffle. Let's you and him fight, right?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 01:01 PM   #1223
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

You know how in Eyes Wide Shut, there's this giant orgy, but a lot of the people are just sitting on the side watching while the others in the middle get it on?

It's just the debate equivalent of that.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 01:53 PM   #1224
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Oliver McGee PhD MBA
@OliverMcGee

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Never stop never stopping!
Rather than a snide remark, as a sincere and honest supporter of Trump, doesn't his support for and promotion of conspiracy theories disturb you?

It's not the first time either - his fixation on Obama's birth certificate was pretty similar. Either he believes it and he is a racist, or he doesn't and he just panders to racists. Neither is good.

I saw your lament that you apparently haven't been able to have a good-faith discussion about Trump, but did it ever cross your mind that maybe it's him not everyone else? His violation of norms and attempts to usurp democratic institutions has not been seen in a US president since the turn of the 20th Century at least.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2019, 04:20 PM   #1225
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Nah, bro....Debating what Trump means with (and the accuracy of) his empty rhetorical comments seems more appropriate for Trump supporters like you and Zig. I'd rather debate something of actual substance, like how Trump is a lying incompetent traitor.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 09:07 AM   #1226
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Why?

In any given thread on this forum, there are a multitude of different opinions. People pick and choose which differing opinions they're interested in engaing with at any moment.

If there was some obligation to resolve every disagreement then each of these threads would need hundreds of times as many posts.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 09:25 AM   #1227
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
Why?...
Why not use a play from the winger playbook?

I have tried in good faith to answer these questions. If after all that effort I am still misunderstood, I see no purpose in continuing this line of discussion.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poor fellows .jpg (32.2 KB, 10 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics