ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , protest incidents , US-Denmark relations

Old 12th August 2019, 05:38 AM   #161
dann
Philosopher

Anti-Trump rallies in Copenhagen:

Preparing the protest rally against Trump (Arbejderen, Aug. 5-6, 2019)
Trump will be met by protesters in Copenhagen (Arbejderen, Aug. 9, 2019)
Trump hates the gigantic balloon baby - now it follows him to Denmark (TV2, Aug. 4, 2019)
Trump Baby Denmark
The demonstration will probably start in front of the U.S. embassy and end at the Christiansborg Castle, the seat of the Danish parliament.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 05:51 AM   #162
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You've been very clear about this. The time for discussion is over. The time for name calling is now.

HTH. HAND!
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 11:08 PM   #163
dann
Philosopher

Name-calling?! You mean like this??? (Wikipedia)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 11:32 PM   #164
dann
Philosopher

Dear Mr. Donald J. Trump, We are so happy that you got our message, and will come visit Denmark on September 2nd (Natholdet, Aug. 2, 2019)

Copenhagen gearing up for monster demo against Trump - US president can expect a ‘warm’ welcome when he hits Denmark next month (CPH Post, Aug. 6, 2019)

America first, Denmark second:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 16th August 2019, 01:11 PM   #165
dann
Philosopher

So now we know why Trump is so interested in visiting Denmark! Somebody must have told him about the queen of Greenland!

Amerikanske medier: Trump er interesseret i at købe Grønland (DR.dk, Aug. 16, 2019)
Trump inquires about US buying Greenland, but it's not for sale (CNN, Aug. 16, 2019)

Quote:
Mr. Trump has … repeatedly expressed interest in buying the ice-covered autonomous Danish territory between the North Atlantic and Arctic oceans. In meetings, at dinners and in passing conversations, Mr. Trump has asked advisers whether the U.S. can acquire Greenland.
President Trump Eyes a New Real-Estate Purchase: Greenland (WSJ, Aug. 16, 2019)

This one's really funny!
MSNBC: Stop Pranking Donald Trump with Ideas about Buying Greenland
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 17th August 2019, 08:31 AM   #166
dann
Philosopher

Denmark Offers to Buy U.S.

MP from Greenland rejects Trump: He would ruin our welfare state (DR.dk, Aug. 16, 2019)

The Ring of Fire: Danish Politicians Mock Trump As Crazy Over His Idea To Buy Greenland
I AGREE

Quote:
If Denmark’s bid for the United States is accepted, the Scandinavian nation has ambitious plans for its new acquisition. “We believe that, by giving the U.S. an educational system and national health care, it could be transformed from a vast land mass into a great nation,” the spokesperson said.
Denmark offers to buy U.S. (The New Yorker, Aug. 16, 2019)
Old 17th August 2019, 09:18 AM   #167
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Given the population of 50k and the value to the US, this seems like a trivial vote.....vote to join the US and each resident receives one million dollars.

50 billion dollar deal.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2019, 12:54 AM   #168
dann
Philosopher

Yes, $50 billion would be cheap, but you have to consider the risk of a war with Denmark!
Old 18th August 2019, 05:30 AM   #169
dann
Philosopher

Quote:
Across the political spectrum, Danish politicians were quick to dismiss Trump's hypothetical proposal as both impossible and insulting. Some tried to get a laugh in at the president's expense. Lars Løkke Rasmussen, a two-time former Prime Minister and current leader of the opposition Liberal Party tweeted, "It must be an April Fool's Day joke ... but totally out of [season]!". His party is usually seen as a proponent of the Danish alliance with the United States.
Trump, the divider, unites Denmark against sale of Greenland (CNN, Aug. 17, 2019)

Greenland has long been a bargaining chip between the US and Denmark (CNN, Aug. 18, 2019)
Old 19th August 2019, 04:19 PM   #170
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Denmark's Prime Minster made it pretty clear that Greenland is not for sale and any discussion of such a purchase is absurd. I sincerely hope that she sends our stupid bitch of a president home with its tail tucked between its legs. When Trump fails the nation succeeds. I further hope that future presidents will remember the great service Denmark is about to do by humiliating our current pretender in chief.
Old 19th August 2019, 05:27 PM   #171
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I day Trump gets off Air Force One in Copenhagen, there certainly will be something rotten in Denmark.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 05:35 PM   #172
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Denmark's Prime Minster made it pretty clear that Greenland is not for sale and any discussion of such a purchase is absurd. I sincerely hope that she sends our stupid bitch of a president home with its tail tucked between its legs. When Trump fails the nation succeeds. I further hope that future presidents will remember the great service Denmark is about to do by humiliating our current pretender in chief.
See, I'm kind of in the opposite camp. I hope as many people as possible take this super seriously, and invest a lot of time and effort into making sure it can't possibly happen.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 01:47 AM   #173
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Greenland has a large proportion of the World's rare earth minerals, enough to compete with China, so there is method to disphit's madness.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-buy-greenland

Is this is a passing fancy, or a bone he'll cibtinue to worry at? Only time will tell, but I suspect the latter.

I have a bet on with a friend that during a rally he will joke about taking it by force or say he will accept it in lieue of payments from Europe on account of the money they owe the US.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 03:09 AM   #174
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I day Trump gets off Air Force One in Copenhagen, there certainly will be something rotten in Denmark.
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
See, I'm kind of in the opposite camp. I hope as many people as possible take this super seriously, and invest a lot of time and effort into making sure it can't possibly happen.

The Danish royal family and the government will follow protocol. They will have had the ambassador tell him, politely, that Greenland is an autonomous country and not for sale.
There won't be anything more humiliating than the Trump Baby Balloon, I think, unless he comes up with something himself.
Old 20th August 2019, 03:12 AM   #175
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
I have a bet on with a friend that during a rally he will joke about taking it by force or say he will accept it in lieue of payments from Europe on account of the money they owe the US.

'Jeffrey Epstein had his own island, so why can't I?'
Old 20th August 2019, 04:41 AM   #176
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
'Jeffrey Epstein had his own island, so why can't I?'
Oh he can get his own island. Just not that one.

Hans
Old 20th August 2019, 04:49 AM   #177
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Greenland has a large proportion of the World's rare earth minerals, enough to compete with China, so there is method to disphit's madness.
You know, I thought about the minerals and also climate change (which he publicly denies, but perhaps knows is real) motivating him.

But just now, when someone suggested that he just wants to "own" an island, it struck me. What if his primary concern is making the LARGEST island in the world a US property? It's huge. Not as big as on a Mercator map, but honking big nonetheless.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 05:22 AM   #178
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post

Hans
Is Alcatraz on the market?
Old 20th August 2019, 05:50 AM   #179
dann
Philosopher

Do you have any particular island in mind?! Poetic justice ...
Expelled foreigners sent to desert island (Ekstra Bladet, Nov. 30, 2018)
Old 20th August 2019, 06:35 AM   #180
Armitage72
Illuminator

If that's the case, then it's a safe bet that what actually happened is that someone on Trump's staff told him that getting control of Greenland would give him an advantage over China. I have no doubt that if you asked Trump what rare earth minerals are, you would get a response such as ...

"Gold and diamonds. They're minerals that come out of the Earth. A lot of people don't know that. But I do. I know a lot about geology. And they're rare. Very, very rare. That's what makes them valuable. Very valuable."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 07:03 AM   #181
dann
Philosopher

"My uncle was a geographologist!"

China is very interested in Greenland! China Steps up Its Mining Interests in Greenland (The Diplomat, Feb. 12, 2019)

Last edited by dann; 20th August 2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old 20th August 2019, 10:05 AM   #182
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

China is very interested in Greenland! China Steps up Its Mining Interests in Greenland (The Diplomat, Feb. 12, 2019)
I guess this makes Trump's idea of buying Greenland moot. He can just take it from China.
Old 20th August 2019, 10:37 AM   #183
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I've figured it out. Greenland is, obviously, the land of the Greens. Kind of like how Poland is the land of the Poles and Finland is the land of the Finns.

By buying Greenland, Trump would own the Greens!
Old 20th August 2019, 11:16 AM   #184
Elagabalus
Illuminator

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-buy-greenland

Is this is a passing fancy, or a bone he'll cibtinue to worry at? Only time will tell, but I suspect the latter.

I didn't want to mention this but, if Puerto Rico becomes a State, the US needs another "State" just to even things out wrt to the flag and having the best visuals. Trump tells the US that he's very popular in Scotland and I thought Scotland would be his first choice but maybe Greenland IS the better option?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 11:36 AM   #185
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I didn't want to mention this but, if Puerto Rico becomes a State, the US needs another "State" just to even things out wrt to the flag and having the best visuals. Trump tells the US that he's very popular in Scotland and I thought Scotland would be his first choice but maybe Greenland IS the better option?
Come on we have lots of territories with much higher populations than Greenland. Guam has 3 times the population as greenland for example. And American Samoa about the same.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 11:50 AM   #186
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Do you have any particular island in mind?! Poetic justice ...
Expelled foreigners sent to desert island (Ekstra Bladet, Nov. 30, 2018)
I'm sure that could be arranged. And much cheaper.

Hans
Old 20th August 2019, 11:53 AM   #187
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Not commenting on the kind of contracts China offers, but there is a fundamental difference between making mining contracts and suggesting to buy a country.

Hans
Old 20th August 2019, 12:54 PM   #188
dann
Philosopher

Come on! Don't be so greedy! We already sold you the Virgin Islands, and we still have to help you take care of those!
Old 20th August 2019, 01:05 PM   #189
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Is Alcatraz on the market?
Already owned by the US Government; National Park Service to be exact. Of their most visited sites. So, technically, Trump already "Owns" it.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 01:06 PM   #190
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Gee, Idi Amin said the same thing....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 20th August 2019, 04:26 PM   #191
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Not commenting on the kind of contracts China offers, but there is a fundamental difference between making mining contracts and suggesting to buy a country.

Hans
This.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 20th August 2019, 04:28 PM   #192
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Watched Denmark's PM on the news making her "Greenland Is Not For Sale" statement.
She is not quite as pretty as the previous Danish Lady PM, but given Trump's attitude towar women that might be just as well.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 20th August 2019, 04:35 PM   #193
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Watched Denmark's PM on the news making her "Greenland Is Not For Sale" statement.
She is not quite as pretty as the previous Danish Lady PM, but given Trump's attitude towar women that might be just as well.
She should take the Stormy Daniel's route and spank him with a magazine he's on the cover of.
Old 20th August 2019, 05:27 PM   #194
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Trump tweeted:
Quote:
Denmark is a very special country with incredible people, but based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting scheduled in two weeks for another time....

....The Prime Minister was able to save a great deal of expense and effort for both the United States and Denmark by being so direct. I thank her for that and look forward to rescheduling sometime in the future!

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 20th August 2019 at 05:30 PM.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 06:20 PM   #195
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Trump tweeted:
So he was serious?!?!? The man is further off the deep end than I thought.
Old 20th August 2019, 06:45 PM   #196
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Seriously bruised ego?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 07:24 PM   #197
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Trump is now officially feeble-minded. He's a buffoon and there's nothing to discuss with him. A "state visit" is just a show of pomp and ceremony. There needs to be no actual reason other than shoring up relations. You go, you eat the bad food, shake the hands, review the nancy-boys in their fancy uniforms, you shake some more hands, you leave.

He just confirmed to the world that he's a bully-boy without a clue. The "Let's Buy Greenland" meme was really an afterthought. The POTUS can visit countries and should visit countries. If his minions hadn't been so anxious to embarrass him by confirming that he actually though he could buy Greenland, the visit could've gone off without a hitch (oh, a big baby balloon and a few thousand protesters, but he gets that everywhere he goes). But having to defend his brilliant thought processes once leaked, he actually ran with "We're gonna go buy us some green land, Jared. Pack up the carpet bags!"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 09:26 PM   #198
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This one's really funny!
MSNBC: Stop Pranking Donald Trump with Ideas about Buying Greenland
I AGREE
So intelligent, so much to say, and she just can't get to the ******* point, or get to it and move on.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 20th August 2019 at 09:27 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 09:31 PM   #199
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Hans
Why would it be Trump's if the US bought it?
Old 20th August 2019, 09:51 PM   #200
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

If you are curious how trumpers handle this, here is garbage person streiff over at redstate.com

Quote:
Did he postpone it because Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen said she wasn’t interested in the sale and that was the main reason for his visit?

Did Frederiksen misread or deliberately misinterpret a jest and engage reflexive Euro-trash NeverTrumpery and torque off Trump?
https://www.redstate.com/streiff/201...rchase.-really

So they are going with joke and it was Denmark that freaked away.

By the way, for those here that dont understand what JAQ is, this is an actual JAQ.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics