ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump supporters

Old 7th August 2019, 06:13 PM   #441
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Now that the other shoe has dropped and the GOP and its anointed leader have gone full bore racist in a throwback to the Anti-Immigration Era, it's time to come to the reality that is 21st Century US Politics.
That point ended around the time they tried to get rid of protection for preexisting conditions, if not sooner. That's why I've been saying that those red hats are the same as KKK hoods - you are identifying yourself as a white supremacist by wearing one, thank you very much. And no, I won't accept arguments that I'm wrong this time, or overreacting, from people who failed to understand the threat at every point in time, when I was telling them "Hey, This guy is a racist" - which I've been doing since he was pushing Birtherism in 2011.

"We told y'all!" - ancient African-American proverb.

(and for anyone wearing a red hat with white letters saying something else, thinking you're cute...um, we can't read that lettering from a distance, and a lot of us get ready for a fight, instinctively, on seeing those. Put them away, thanks.)
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 08:34 PM   #442
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Distraction.
Derailing.
Whataboutism.
Pearl Clutching.

Nary a conservative or Republican who wants to address the elephant in the room. Donnie Johnny read a hostage statement about being inclusive and against racism and then returns to his hateful racist rhetoric within forty-eight hours. (Questioning why Beto is "Beto" a nickname given to him as a toddler. Why? Because Beto is the only politician out there with the 'nads to call Trump a blatant racist, and Donnie just told us all he's not a racist at all and rather than proving it by firing Miller, he goes on a xenophobic paranoid attack of Beto O'Rourke's heritage. Is it possible he's the one who's confused and thought that Beto was Hispanic just because he speaks the language?)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 07:01 AM   #443
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
(and for anyone wearing a red hat with white letters saying something else, thinking you're cute...um, we can't read that lettering from a distance, and a lot of us get ready for a fight, instinctively, on seeing those. Put them away, thanks.)
I have one of those red hats that says "Make America Great Again" but written in Russian (approximately). I wore it in public exactly once, during the science march after the jackass's inauguration. I got many squinty looks followed by laughs. A few people informed me that the Russian language wasn't really great for that expression. It's more along the lines of "Make America Healthy Again".

Time, place, and context are all things. I don't wear that hat anymore. I only ever use it as a prop when basically recounting that same story for people.

Last edited by Upchurch; 13th August 2019 at 08:00 AM. Reason: ugh. typos
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 07:23 AM   #444
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I have one of those red hats that says "Make America Great Again" but written in Russian (approximately). I wore it in public exactly once, during the science march after the jackass's inauguration. I got many squinty looks followed by laughs. A few people informed me that the Russian language wasn't really great for that expression. It's more along the lines of "Make America Healthy Again".

Time, place, and context are all things. I don't wear that hat anymore. I only ever use it as a prob when basically recounting that same story for people.
I've seen caps in pink reading Make America Gay Again.
Old 13th August 2019, 10:50 AM   #445
Venom
Master Poster

America wasn't ready for Obama, so we elected Trump.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 11:10 AM   #446
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
America wasn't ready for Obama, so we elected Trump.
I realize you're being glib, but I really don't understand folks who voted for Obama and then Trump. Those are strange ducks.
Old 13th August 2019, 11:19 AM   #447
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I realize you're being glib, but I really don't understand folks who voted for Obama and then Trump. Those are strange ducks.
I think it might have been Joe Morgue, who said that some people just want to throw the cards in the air and get a change.

If you vote for change, then it makes a sort of sense. Of course, Obama's change was hamstrung.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 11:33 AM   #448
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I think it might have been Joe Morgue, who said that some people just want to throw the cards in the air and get a change.

If you vote for change, then it makes a sort of sense. Of course, Obama's change was hamstrung.
"You know, we've had a black president, we should give fascism a try, for the sake of doing something different."
Old 13th August 2019, 11:40 AM   #449
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

"You know, we've had a black president, we should give fascism a try, for the sake of doing something different."
"I'm sticking it to The Man"

Obama didn't really change anything immediately noticeable - the ACA would mainly be noticed by an individual in crisis.

I'm certainly not saying it's clever or sensible, but from a certain viewpoint there could be a twisted logic thinking emotional response
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 08:08 AM   #450
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
"I'm sticking it to The Man"

Obama didn't really change anything immediately noticeable - the ACA would mainly be noticed by an individual in crisis.

I'm certainly not saying it's clever or sensible, but from a certain viewpoint there could be a twisted logic thinking emotional response
I have to disagree with the highlighted. Obama got the economy back on track, and the ACA was noticed immediately by people with pre-existing conditions.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 08:20 PM   #451
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Since the OP, which was really inspired by rhetoric, we've had even worse developments....

> Barr trying to push through changes that will mandate the even refugees and asylum seekers have to apply in their home country, not a country they are transiting through. "Well, you see, President Assad, I have to get out because your troops are trying to kill me". The US Embassy in Damascus is a "special interest" section of the Czech Embassy. It issues no passports and no visas!
> The omnibus "Means" test. Call it The Miller Rule. It's the type of thing that will appeal to his racist minions and supporters.
> Kenny "Miller's Boy" Cuccinelli has proposed rewriting the inscription on the Statue of Liberty.

No. Don't call them evil. Think up some nice term for them so they don't get their panties in a twist and we can have a dialogue that pretends these are normal concerns discussed by normal people.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 08:25 PM   #452
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Evil sounds good to me. Let Finland pick up the slack, if America's rules rankle there.

Hey. Aren't you living in Malaysia or Vietnam or some such? Why isn't your host government doing more to help?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 08:33 PM   #453
Venom
Master Poster

Change We Can Believe In gave way to Make America Great Again.

I'll take it, said some of those voters.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2019, 09:08 PM   #454
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Evil sounds good to me. Let Finland pick up the slack, if America's rules rankle there.

Hey. Aren't you living in Malaysia or Vietnam or some such? Why isn't your host government doing more to help?
You know where I live. And not surprisingly, the recently legitimized minority-majority (minority of vote, majority of confirming votes by voters appointed by the junta) are real big on similarly ignoring the plights of the Rohingya refugees. You're in good company. Three out of four dictatorships support Trump's programs.

Old 16th August 2019, 05:05 AM   #455
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Three out of four dictatorships support Trump's programs.
Who's the fourth?

<Cut: palace in Liberia>

General Butt Naked: I do not like this Donald Trump!
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 01:13 PM   #456
Venom
Master Poster

You know where I live. And not surprisingly, the recently legitimized minority-majority (minority of vote, majority of confirming votes by voters appointed by the junta) are real big on similarly ignoring the plights of the Rohingya refugees. You're in good company. Three out of four dictatorships support Trump's programs.
I notice a correlation of Christian Burmese refugees' attitudes towards the Rohingya crisis and their opinion of Trump.

It's pretty much as expected

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics