ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 14th August 2019, 05:51 AM   #3201
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Voter ID wouldn't be so bad if the federal government went out of its way to register all citizens and residents; and giving them valid IDs.
But that would defeat the purpose of Voter ID laws, wouldn't it?
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 05:53 AM   #3202
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Voter ID wouldn't be so bad if the federal government went out of its way to register all citizens and residents; and giving them valid IDs.
Listen us Americans don't want to be given the Mark of the Beast so the Antichrist will have an easier time tracking us down.

No seriously that's the reason. I didn't make that up. That's why in American the best case scenario is 3-4 IDs, each of which (hopefully) will work some of the time when used in the proper combination.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 05:58 AM   #3203
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Germany should suggest the US close their bases and leave.

Then we'll see how much it's worth to the US.
If anybody's going to do that, it's Trump. "Think of the billions of dollars we'd save!"
Old 14th August 2019, 06:01 AM   #3204
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Listen us Americans don't want to be given the Mark of the Beast so the Antichrist will have an easier time tracking us down.

No seriously that's the reason. I didn't make that up. That's why in American the best case scenario is 3-4 IDs, each of which (hopefully) will work some of the time when used in the proper combination.
The most important of which is the unlaminated Social Security card, which doesn't have a photo on it, which is supposed to prove who you are. The number on it is super secret and is used absolutely everywhere.
Old 14th August 2019, 06:05 AM   #3205
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The most important of which is the unlaminated Social Security card, which doesn't have a photo on it, which is supposed to prove who you are. The number on it is super secret and is used absolutely everywhere.
And that's the tragicfunniest part of this. It's the modern world. A functioning society on a modern Westernized Democracy level has to have a universal ID card. So by demanding we not have one we've been forced to use the closet, which was never designed to be used that way, so it's functionally broken.

//For you dirty furniers here in the United SchoolShootings of Trumpia the closest thing to a "Universal ID" card is our society security card, a literal unlaminted, cardboard card with no identifying information on it and no security features that was only ever meant to be a tracking number for our Social Security benefits but has sort of become our National ID number.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 06:08 AM   #3206
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

And even if you're very careful and a generally neat person a cheap unlaminated card (it's somewhere between thin cardboard and heavy cardstock) gets pretty dirty and beat up after forty years or so. I only take mine out of the house when I start new jobs or do something governmenty, nevertheless it's in bad shape.
Old 14th August 2019, 06:08 AM   #3207
Belz...
Fiend God

And that's the tragicfunniest part of this. It's the modern world. A functioning society on a modern Westernized Democracy level has to have a universal ID card. So by demanding we not have one we've been forced to use the closet, which was never designed to be used that way, so it's functionally broken.

//For you dirty furniers here in the United SchoolShootings of Trumpia the closest thing to a "Universal ID" card is our society security card, a literal unlaminted, cardboard card with no identifying information on it and no security features that was only ever meant to be a tracking number for our Social Security benefits but has sort of become our National ID number.
We have a similar system in Canada. Like TM said, we're not supposed to give our number to anyone, and yet we provide it literally everywhere; to get a job, a loan, a car, a house, etc.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 06:13 AM   #3208
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

CGP Grey: Social Security Cards Explained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erp8IAUouus
Old 14th August 2019, 06:13 AM   #3209
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

You also hand them out like sweeties to furriners. I've got one :-)
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 06:28 AM   #3210
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Of course, what next ADA compliant polling stations!

https://www.npr.org/2016/10/24/49917...polling-places
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 06:29 AM   #3211
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post

What are you implying? Just because voter ID laws have often been followed by efforts to shut down locations that provide those IDs in areas with a high population of "undesirable" voters doesn't mean there's a sinister motive.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 06:34 AM   #3212
Tolls
Illuminator

Just to point out, we don't have a Universal ID card here in the UK either.
When the Labour government tried to bring one in there was a bit of an outcry.
Tolls is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 06:57 AM   #3213
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
We have a similar system in Canada. Like TM said, we're not supposed to give our number to anyone, and yet we provide it literally everywhere; to get a job, a loan, a car, a house, etc.
When my daughter applied for hers last year we found out that Canada does not even issue cards anymore. They just give you your number and expect you to remember it for the rest of your life.
Old 14th August 2019, 06:58 AM   #3214
Belz...
Fiend God

Yeah, which implies you have to note it somewhere. That's not safer.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 07:15 AM   #3215
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
When my daughter applied for hers last year we found out that Canada does not even issue cards anymore. They just give you your number and expect you to remember it for the rest of your life.
When I was in college it was our student ID number. We had to use for everything. I will never forget it. In contrast my mother never used hers for anything (born in the thirties) and my kids rarely use theirs as places are phasing it out as unreliable. So, it looks like remembering you SS number will turn out to be a generational thing in the US.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 07:34 AM   #3216
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Germany should suggest the US close their bases and leave.

Then we'll see how much it's worth to the US.
Let's not forget, the troops love it there.
Old 14th August 2019, 08:00 AM   #3217
plague311
Great minds think...

I got a kick out of this article.

Some of my favorite lines:
Quote:
6. "I was a good builder. I built good. I loved building."

"I built good." -- The President of the United States
Quote:
8. "I love cranes. I love trucks of all types even when I was a little boy at four years old my mother would say, 'You love trucks.' "

"I love lamp." -- Brick Tamland
Quote:
19. "If [Democrats] got in, your fracking is gone, your coal is gone, you guys -- I don't know what the hell you're going to do. You don't want to make widgets, right? You don't want to make -- do you want to learn how to make a computer, little tiny piece of stuff? You put it with those big beautiful hands of yours, look."

"Big beautiful hands of yours." -- The President of the United States.
How can people stand to listen to this moron speak? I've never listened to him for longer than 2-3 minutes at a time, I have to read his stuff so I don't hear his voice. Mentally I read his transcripts in the voice of Archer's Barry.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 08:18 AM   #3218
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Yeah, which implies you have to note it somewhere. That's not safer.
That's pretty much our National Insurance numbers. Although mine was at least plastic and like a credit card in the 1980s.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 08:26 AM   #3219
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

"do you want to learn how to make a computer, little tiny piece of stuff?" - Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States of America.
Old 14th August 2019, 08:29 AM   #3220
Worm
Master Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
That's pretty much our National Insurance numbers. Although mine was at least plastic and like a credit card in the 1980s.
I lost my NI card within approx. 3 hours of receiving it (in 1990). Still remember my number though. I have never actually been asked to produce the card, just asked what my number is.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 08:32 AM   #3221
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
"do you want to learn how to make a computer, little tiny piece of stuff?" - Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States of America.
I don't know Mr President, I understand that some of that high tech stuff pays pretty well. Are you suggesting that I should limit my aspirations ?
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 08:34 AM   #3222
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I lost my NI card within approx. 3 hours of receiving it (in 1990). Still remember my number though. I have never actually been asked to produce the card, just asked what my number is.
Yes, that what happens if you send something so important to someone on their sixteenth birthday.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 08:34 AM   #3223
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Early warning signs suggest the US is headed for a recession
Old 14th August 2019, 09:02 AM   #3224
Belz...
Fiend God

I... what?

Old 14th August 2019, 09:09 AM   #3225
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So? The parts of the country that are economically dead now are Trump's biggest base.

I wonder if yet another rule that Trump breaks is "A President needs a good economy to get reelected."
Old 14th August 2019, 09:10 AM   #3226
plague311
Great minds think...

I... what?
It goes along with his concept of how many things got "bing boop".

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

One of my biggest issues in this country is that technology policies and the like are designed by men who don't understand **** about their function.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 09:12 AM   #3227
Cain
Straussian

Thanks, Obama.
Old 14th August 2019, 09:14 AM   #3228
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Logistics is another good bellwether.

As an example, here's Titanium Transportation trying their level best to polish the turd:

http://www.globenewswire.com/news-re...l-Results.html

Quote:
CEO Commentary

“Despite a more challenged operating environment, we remained profitable in the second quarter of 2019 and continued to build long-term shareholder value,” said Ted Daniel, President and Chief Executive Officer. “Significant overcapacity and lower spot rates in the marketplace have improved the landscape for opportunistic and accretive M&A,” added Mr. Daniel. “Our strong balance sheet will not only allow us to weather the cyclicality in the transportation and logistics industry, but allows us to capitalize on opportunities as they arise.”
This is sending signals to their shareholders that they should not expect an aggressive posture in the near-to-medium term. There will be a protective posture while waiting for competitors to fail and then expand or acquire at less cost than doing so now would.

ETA: Anecdotally looking around, retail is currently trying to drown payroll in the bathtub.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 14th August 2019 at 09:16 AM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 09:15 AM   #3229
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Yet Trump has spent an enormous amount of time claiming he wants to "bring back manufacturing jobs" to the U.S.

"Assemble your iPhones and iPads here" he demands. Now he's telling former coal miners "you don't really want to make that stuff".

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 09:26 AM   #3230
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

The chance of a recession was recently discussed in this thread.

In addition to the 'inverted yield curve' and some falling earnings reports, there are other signs:

- Increasing prices due to tariffs
- The manufacturing sector is already in a recession
- Consumer confidence is falling
- In some surveys, the majority of economists are predicting recessions by 2021, if not earlier

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=3127
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=3136

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 09:32 AM   #3231
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
One of my biggest issues in this country is that technology policies and the like are designed by men who don't understand **** about their function.
Tell me about it. It's the same over here.

Old 14th August 2019, 09:43 AM   #3232
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Tell me about it. It's the same over here.
Just remember, the internet is a series of Tubes, and you'll be fine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_of_tubes

We are Groot - Groot
Old 14th August 2019, 09:59 AM   #3233
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“The Fed has got to do something! The Fed is the Central Bank of the United States, not the Central Bank of the World.” Mark Grant @Varneyco
Correct! The Federal Reserve acted far too quickly, and now is very, very late. Too bad, so much to gain on the upside!

“So far, you’ve had Tariffs imposed on 300 Billion Dollars worth of Chinese products, but you can’t tell me that it has hurt our economy...& it really hasn’t led to any kind of serious rise in prices at the consumer level.” @Varneyco @FoxBusiness
And we are taking in $Billions!

Tremendous amounts of money pouring into the United States. People want safety!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 10:12 AM   #3234
Doubt
Philosopher

Inverted Yield curve? I like yield curves that are straight. [/trump mode]
Old 14th August 2019, 10:15 AM   #3235
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
Inverted Yield curve?
Pfft. The yield can't even keep it up.

Old 14th August 2019, 10:28 AM   #3236
Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

“The Fed has got to do something! The Fed is the Central Bank of the United States, not the Central Bank of the World.” Mark Grant @Varneyco
Correct! The Federal Reserve acted far too quickly, and now is very, very late. Too bad, so much to gain on the upside!

“So far, you’ve had Tariffs imposed on 300 Billion Dollars worth of Chinese products, but you can’t tell me that it has hurt our economy...& it really hasn’t led to any kind of serious rise in prices at the consumer level.” @Varneyco @FoxBusiness
And we are taking in $Billions!

Tremendous amounts of money pouring into the United States. People want safety!
Ok, are they any conservatives out there with their Trump decoder rings who can tell me what the word salad about the Fed is supposed to mean? I am not familiar with the details of the Fox News Cinematic Universe.

It kind of reminds me of:
Quote:
GILL: If we fulfill our own greatness, that will all be ended. Working together
SPOCK: Captain, the speech follows no logical pattern.
KIRK: Random sentences strung together.
GILL: Will at times be difficult.
Old 14th August 2019, 10:41 AM   #3237
Arcade22
Philosopher

"I was a good builder. I built good. I loved building."
- Donald Trump Monument, Washington D.C
Old 14th August 2019, 11:02 AM   #3238
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Unfortunately, Donnie didn't get to finish building his Taj Mahal casino good before his arrogant stupidity caught up with him. Early on, when a NYT columnist suggested maybe Trump wasn't thinking good about building good, Trump got him fired good.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 11:14 AM   #3239
plague311
Great minds think...

That brings up a bit of a fascinating point. If Trump were to pass away, God forbid, then what would his plaque or tombstone say?

"I died better than most lived. The best life, no one lived better. I'm not even dead."

Old 14th August 2019, 11:19 AM   #3240
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
That brings up a bit of a fascinating point. If Trump were to pass away, God forbid, then what would his plaque or tombstone say?
"DANGER: This area contaminated by the Orange Adipose Virus. Extreme biohazard. Protective gear required. Minimize exposure."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics