ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bomb incidents , Cesar Sayoc , MAGAbomber , terrorism incidents

Old 25th October 2018, 06:08 AM   #361
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Okay I "get" all the Democratic leaders and George Soros. Those have been boogeyman for the far right for years.

But De Niro? That's sort of out of left field. Even if the bomber just wanted an example of a "Hollywood Liberal" on the list, De Niro?
He directed harsh insults towards Trump recently at a high profile event.
Old 25th October 2018, 06:09 AM   #362
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Did he say 'Mainstream Media', or 'Fake News' ?
He said mainstream media. Check his tweets. I'm on my phone.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:12 AM   #363
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

What are the possibilities?

1. A crazed right winger getting back at all the Dems who have gone after Trump Supporters

2. A Liberal who is trying to make the Trump Supporters look bad by targeting Dems who have targeted Trump.

3. An Isis (or other terrorist group) plot to only scare Dems who have gone after Trump.

4. A non political Crazy person who thought he would throw a wrench in the mid term election frenzy.

3 is a non-starter for me, I think at least one would have blown up if this was the case.
1 and 4, I think at least one would have blown up, or at least been functional.

2 is the only one who would have intentionally sent a non-functional device in my opinion.

Please add other possibilities if I'm leaving any out.
Famous politicians receive death threats. The idea that these were not real bombs don't make them more suspect than the regular death threats.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:12 AM   #364
Distracted1
Master Poster

6. A liberal trying to frame a conservative who's trying to frame a liberal for committing a double false flag.
Once trust in our media and law enforcement institutions has been sufficiently eroded, one can manufacture their own "truth". Thanks Trumpsters.
Old 25th October 2018, 06:14 AM   #365
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Okay I "get" all the Democratic leaders and George Soros. Those have been boogeyman for the far right for years.

But De Niro? That's sort of out of left field. Even if the bomber just wanted an example of a "Hollywood Liberal" on the list, De Niro?
Outspoken Trump critic.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:14 AM   #366
eeyore1954
Philosopher

1. A crazed right winger getting back at all the Dems who have gone after Trump Supporters

2. A Liberal who is trying to make the Trump Supporters look bad by targeting Dems who have targeted Trump.

3. An Isis (or other terrorist group) plot to only scare Dems who have gone after Trump.

4. A non political Crazy person who thought he would throw a wrench in the mid term election frenzy.

3 is a non-starter for me, I think at least one would have blown up if this was the case.

2 is the only one who would have intentionally sent a non-functional device in my opinion.

I don't at all follow your reasoning to think option 1 is not a strong possibility.

Personally I think a crazy right winger is the most likely but option 2 is also a real possibility.
Although I notice your option one leaves the president, Fox News etc without any possibility as the cause.

A terrorist organization looking to cause strife, fear and discord is also possible.

You left off Putin getting even for people speaking ill of his buddy.

Last edited by eeyore1954; 25th October 2018 at 06:17 AM.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:15 AM   #367
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Famous politicians receive death threats. The idea that these were not real bombs don't make them more suspect than the regular death threats.
*Groans, takes a shot of Whiskey because I know I'm gonna regret this*

Please enlighten us Bob, how where they not real bombs?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:19 AM   #368
surrogate
Critical Thinker

Probably because of this.
surrogate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:21 AM   #369
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

So we are up to 8?

a lot of work for one guy.
Old 25th October 2018, 06:22 AM   #370
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

*Groans, takes a shot of Whiskey because I know I'm gonna regret this*

Please enlighten us Bob, how where they not real bombs?
Not a single one has exploded. If I make 9 chairs, and not a single one has a person sit on before it falls apart, I never make a real chair.

ETA: but the point is, the post I was responding to called them non functional. My point was non functional doesn't make it less likely to be a conservative because death threats without actual violence is common against famous people. I'm assuming the position taken by the arguer rather than substituting different assumptions.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 25th October 2018 at 06:25 AM.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:25 AM   #371
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
So we are up to 8?

Pipe bombs aren't exactly high tech. You can crank them out pretty fast.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:25 AM   #372
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

I think you're leaving out someone who understands the concept of how a bomb works, but doesn't know enough to put a working one together, & luckily was too delusional to look for plans in how to do so. (Or dumb enough to trust someone who was LOLz special forces swearsies realsies.)
Old 25th October 2018, 06:26 AM   #373
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Not a single one has exploded. If I make 9 chairs, and not a single one has a person sit on before it falls apart, I never make a real chair.

ETA: but the point is, the post I was responding to called them non functional. My point was non functional doesn't make it less likely to be a conservative because death threats without actual violence is common against famous people.
*Closes my eyes and sighs* I knew it was gonna be nonsensical and yet I'm still surprised.
Old 25th October 2018, 06:27 AM   #374
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

ETA: but the point is, the post I was responding to called them non functional. My point was non functional doesn't make it less likely to be a conservative because death threats without actual violence is common against famous people.
For the law, the relevant question is in the perception of the victim: it's still a robbery when you are the only one knowing that you have no bullets in your gun.
And it is still terror if you scare people with only seemingly functional bombs.
Old 25th October 2018, 06:29 AM   #375
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by 332nd View Post
I think you're leaving out someone who understands the concept of how a bomb works, but doesn't know enough to put a working one together, & luckily was too delusional to look for plans in how to do so. (Or dumb enough to trust someone who was LOLz special forces swearsies realsies.)
A very real possibility.
Old 25th October 2018, 06:29 AM   #376
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Official word is, the bombs were functional. That none of them exploded can be seen as lucky by normal people or evidence of a false flag by morons. There have been no non-functional bombs found thus far from what I've heard, so let's drop that off-topic tangent.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:32 AM   #377
Belz...
Fiend God

People thought the Washington naval yard shooting was terrorism. It wasn't.
Still no.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:32 AM   #378
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

For the law, the relevant question is in the perception of the victim: it's still a robbery when you are the only one knowing that you have no bullets in your gun.
And it is still terror if you scare people with only seemingly functional bombs.
But drewbots position wasnt about the law. Rather than argue about the functionality of the bomb, I focused on the idea that drewbots conclusion doesn't follow from drewbots premise.
Old 25th October 2018, 06:33 AM   #379
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Official word is, the bombs were functional. That none of them exploded can be seen as lucky by normal people or evidence of a false flag by morons. There have been no non-functional bombs found thus far from what I've heard, so let's drop that off-topic tangent.
What did they mean by functional?

I also haven't found a credible source yet. The only thing I found was from Cuomo. Do we have an official statement?

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 25th October 2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old 25th October 2018, 06:37 AM   #380
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

You missed "A Trump Supporter who is about as bright as a hatstand, but believes that is going after America's enemies."

The problem you have listening to the Rightwing media is that they are pushing that these devices weren't functional because none detonated. However the authorities are saying the exact opposite, that the bombs were poorly designed, but functional.

They weren't sophisticated by any stretch of the imagination, and were just simple pipe bombs with a digital timer, but that doesn't mean that they weren't actually dangerous, as certain people are claiming.

They were PVC pipes filled with the pyrotechnic powder from fireworks, capped and with wires from a digital timer to provide a spark to ignite the powder. The powder was also mixed with metal shrapnel.

It's clear that the builder did not have a lot of knowledge about building bombs, nor a lot of access to the materials, there were no blasting caps or high explosive for example, but for an example of what these simple fireworks pipe bombs can do, have a look at the following video.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

This one is even better in that if you watch to the end you'll see the damage it does to the ground, and them planting a second one

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 25th October 2018 at 06:42 AM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:43 AM   #381
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
He said mainstream media. Check his tweets. I'm on my phone.
OK, if this is the one you're referring to, he definitely says 'fake news'

Quote:
A very big part of the Anger we see today in our society is caused by the purposely false and inaccurate reporting of the Mainstream Media that I refer to as Fake News.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:43 AM   #382
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
I doubt if you can be charged with "attempted murder" for mailing something harmless. Perhaps there is some law pertaining to "implied threat." Don't know.

Whatever the case, when they do finally catch the Democrats that did this, maybe a few years in prison will set their minds right.
Still desperately clinging to that narrative, Sling? LMFAO!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:46 AM   #383
The Big Dog

Functional in the sense that if you lit the fuses they would shoot fireworks.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:49 AM   #384
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

JFC.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewi...ews-fake-bombs
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:49 AM   #385
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
You're about 12 hours behind TBD, try getting caught up, the bomb from CNN was X-Rayed, it didn't have fireworks mortars, it had PVC caps with putty over them.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:49 AM   #386
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...istics-n923951

Quote:
Senior technicians briefed on the case said that the aspiring bomber had all the components necessary to set off a successful explosion.
Old 25th October 2018, 06:50 AM   #387
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

NBC is reporting that 10 packages have been found.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tom_Winte...48533246136320
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:51 AM   #388
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Still desperately clinging to that narrative, Sling? LMFAO!
It's just like if I rob a bank with a gun, but later on it is revealed it wasn't loaded. That's totally not a crime or anything. No harm, no foul.
Old 25th October 2018, 06:52 AM   #389
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So if a Muslim kid brings a digital clock to a school, it's a bomb.

If an actual literal bomb is mailed to a Democrat, it's not a bomb.

Okay, good, glad we're cleared that up.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 25th October 2018 at 06:56 AM.
Old 25th October 2018, 06:55 AM   #390
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

OK, if this is the one you're referring to, he definitely says 'fake news'
You're right. He said both.

I'm sure portraying the media as the cause of all this is going to calm things down and it will end well.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:56 AM   #391
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Making a letter bomb is fairly difficult. Pipe bombs are easy, but making a trigger mechanism that actually detonates at the right moment can be complicated. Hell, it took the Unabomber a few tries to get it right and that guy was a genius.

There is nothing suspicious at all that all these bombs failed to detonate as intended.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 25th October 2018 at 07:00 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:57 AM   #392
fagin
Philosopher

Are you ill?

You missed the lol and laughing dog...
Old 25th October 2018, 07:00 AM   #393
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Do we seriously have people arguing that these bombs "don't count" because they didn't go off?

Seriously?

I mean I know it is true, I can see people literally arguing that, but...
Old 25th October 2018, 07:03 AM   #394
The_Animus
Illuminator

So if a Muslim kid brings a digital clock to a school, it's a bomb.

If an actual literal bomb is mailed to a Democrat, it's not a bomb.

Okay, good, glad we're cleared that up.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 07:04 AM   #395
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Do we seriously have people arguing that these bombs "don't count" because they didn't go off?

Seriously?

Depends on what you mean by don't count. I don't know if anyone is arguing about a legal sense. There is certainly an existential question if they count.
Old 25th October 2018, 07:06 AM   #396
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Seriously?

It's what we mean when we talk about Trumpists not living in reality.

Old 25th October 2018, 07:12 AM   #397
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
So we are up to 8?

Not really. I doubt it takes half an hour to put one together, if you have bothered to gather up the components. Half a workday to make them, another half to mail them from different locations.
Old 25th October 2018, 07:15 AM   #398
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Not really. I doubt it takes half an hour to put one together, if you have bothered to gather up the components. Half a workday to make them, another half to mail them from different locations.
Yep, too much work if I don't get paid.
I'm a lousy anarchist.
Old 25th October 2018, 07:17 AM   #399
Drewbot
Philosopher

They definitely count.

It depends if the guy they trace them to purposely built them so they wouldn't explode, or if he was just incompetent.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 07:24 AM   #400
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
They definitely count.

It depends if the guy they trace them to purposely built them so they wouldn't explode, or if he was just incompetent.
You're speculating far beyond evidence.

Reports say they were functional.

None of them actually exploded.

Nothing indicates that they could not explode, which you seem to be clinging to.

ETA: Also, the construction of the devices clearly points to a lack of experience/incompetence. It's possible that was intentional, but not probable.

Last edited by Hellbound; 25th October 2018 at 07:25 AM.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics