ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bomb incidents , Cesar Sayoc , MAGAbomber , terrorism incidents

Old 24th October 2018, 09:28 AM   #81
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Debbie Wasserman Schultz as well.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WFLAGayle...16937779445760
NBC says the return address on the bomb envelopes were hers.
Old 24th October 2018, 09:32 AM   #82
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
NBC says the return address on the bomb envelopes were hers.
Proof that it's a Democratic false flag!

We need Republican one party rule now!1

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 09:32 AM   #83
Belz...
Fiend God

John Brennan was a target, too?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 09:32 AM   #84
BrooklynBaby
Muse

Just looking around and found an article saying the Soros "pipe bomb" contained real bomb components like black gunpowder, but nothing that it was in fact a real bomb. None of these others have been reported to be real bombs, and of course none of them have exploded. So, whether or not this terrorist is actually trying to kill people is unknown at this time.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 09:36 AM   #85
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Building with Kamala Harris's office evacuated after a suspicious package was found there.

https://mobile.twitter.com/christina...34671456083970
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 09:37 AM   #86
Belz...
Fiend God

All this on the same day. I don't know if the explosives are real, but I'm not sure a single person could do all this. On the other hand if it's many persons, it was most probably coordinated.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 09:40 AM   #87
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Eric Holder too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KFILE/sta...37389537042432
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 09:41 AM   #88
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
All this on the same day. I don't know if the explosives are real, but I'm not sure a single person could do all this. On the other hand if it's many persons, it was most probably coordinated.
Haven't they all gone through the mail? Pretty easy to just drop them off on the same day, even if it means driving around to a few different post offices to try to hide the trail. (ETA: I mean, multiple days to make the devices, but once ready, one day to send them on the way).

Which also means it might be easier to find who did it. False return addresses or not, they'll be able to backtrack the packages to the point of origin pretty quickly. Check security video, interview staff. It could go pretty fast.

I hope.

ETA: They were apparently unable to do that with the anthrax letters in 2001 - but shipping and package tracking technology and standards have advanced quickly since then. Letters can be sent from public mailboxes, I don't know if packages can, a person might need to go into the post office to do that, or at least use an automated machine. The anthrax letters were sent over a period of a few weeks, compared to a bunch of packages mailed the same say (presumably).

Last edited by crescent; 24th October 2018 at 09:49 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 09:47 AM   #89
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Mark Rubio tweets
"An attack on an American who happens to be a Democrat, Republican or Independent is an attack on America. The terrorist behind this will soon find out that while a free people have politics that are conflictive,if you try to kill any of us you will have to face all of us."
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 09:48 AM   #90
BrooklynBaby
Muse

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Haven't they all gone through the mail? Pretty easy to just drop them off on the same day, even if it means driving around to a few different post offices to try to hide the trail. (ETA: I mean, multiple days to make the devices, but once ready, one day to send them on the way).

Which also means it might be easier to find who did it. False return addresses or not, they'll be able to backtrack the packages to the point of origin pretty quickly. Check security video, interview staff. It could go pretty fast.

I hope.
ABC says the Soros package was hand-delivered.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/billionair...ry?id=58683450
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 09:52 AM   #91
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
Mark Rubio tweets
"An attack on an American who happens to be a Democrat, Republican or Independent is an attack on America. The terrorist behind this will soon find out that while a free people have politics that are conflictive,if you try to kill any of us you will have to face all of us."
If only Rubio was consistently this patriotic and likeable.

Old 24th October 2018, 09:52 AM   #92
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
Mark Rubio tweets
Little Marco is looking pretty tough by comparison.

Quote:
Mr Trump said: "They had a very bad original concept, it was carried out poorly and the cover-up was the worst in the history of cover-ups.
"Whoever thought of that idea, I think is in big trouble. And they should be in big trouble."
Quote:
Kushner said, “We’re getting facts in from multiple places.”

“Once those facts come in, the secretary of state will work with our national security team to help us determine what we want to believe and what we think is credible and what we think is not credible,” he said.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 09:56 AM   #93
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 332nd View Post
Secret Service saying that there no bomb was sent to the White House.

Edit: https://mobile.twitter.com/johnrober...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
But there needed to be one in order to advance the "they are after both sides" argument.

Now what are the Right-wing terrorist apologists going to do?
Old 24th October 2018, 09:57 AM   #94
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Now what are the Right-wing terrorist apologists going to do?
Well, surely deny that the perpetrator in question is right-wing.

Old 24th October 2018, 10:00 AM   #95
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

One thing I found slightly amusing before the scale of this became clear: When still in the studio and doing the initial report, I could swear that CNN's Jim Sciutto said an IUD had been delivered. (He did follow up immediately with saying "Improvised Explosive Device".)

But then earlier today the chyron read "OCTOBER SUPRISE", so maybe it was the same copy writer.
Old 24th October 2018, 10:12 AM   #96
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Devices described as crude but functional.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jaketappe...42259287568384
Old 24th October 2018, 10:16 AM   #97
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

This close to the midterms, is the GOP going to be able to find a democrat to falsely accuse and properly spin this as a false flag operation?
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 10:20 AM   #98
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, they deserve to be blown up since they are "enemies of the people".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 10:21 AM   #99
fagin
Philosopher

Weird phraseology?

Quote:
Kushner said, “We’re getting facts in from multiple places.”

“Once those facts come in, the secretary of state will work with our national security team to help us determine what we want to believe and what we think is credible and what we think is not credible,” he said.
Old 24th October 2018, 10:22 AM   #100
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Proof that it's a Democratic false flag!

We need Republican one party rule now!1
Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
This close to the midterms, is the GOP going to be able to find a democrat to falsely accuse and properly spin this as a false flag operation?
It will become necessary to go to one-party rule so that the GOP can protect the Dems from themselves.

"Look, we TRIED to let you have your own party, and you just ended up sending bombs to each other. Maybe someday when you grow up, we can think about letting you participate in some elections again.

Maybe. If you're good."
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 10:23 AM   #101
AnonyMoose
Muse

The US has been in full retard mode for 3 years now. Anyone surprised by this?

My only surprise is that something like this took so long to happen.

Thankfully, nobody has been hurt or killed (fingers crossed it stays that way) by the actions of this low-IQ cult nutjob(s).

Can't wait to see how Trump handles this situation, particularly if and how he's going to carry on with his standard daily verbal vomit of hate-filled rhetoric, insults, and hyperbole aimed at democrats/liberals.

... and the wheels on the asylum bus go round and round, round and round, round and round...

Old 24th October 2018, 10:23 AM   #102
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
Disgruntled employee. Soros needs to do a better job of vetting his thugs.
Wow. You're seriously being an ass here.

There was a (half-assed) attempt on the man's life (and another on Hillary's, if I understand correctly) and you spin it to make him the perpetrator rather than the intended victim?

Serious dickishness.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 10:23 AM   #103
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Devices described as crude but functional.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jaketappe...42259287568384
Making a crude bomb is not all the difficult. You can do it with stuff you can buy at any electronics or Home Depot type store, except for the expolisves,and those are not hard to buy legally. Hell, you could make explosives from chemicals you can buy at any chemical supply house.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 10:28 AM   #104
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I find it slightly curious that they noted that John Brennan's name was spelled wrong on the label but they have not mentioned the (fake) return address that says it was mailed from SUNRISE, FLORIDS.

eta: So was Schultz name.

https://twitter.com/search?q=acosta&src=typd

I'm not implying that the omission means anything.

Also: All caps? Misspellings? Looks like [someone's] Tweets...

Last edited by alfaniner; 24th October 2018 at 10:44 AM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 10:28 AM   #105
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
People are attacking their political opponents? Say It isn't so!
Sorry, are you suggesting that it's appropriate to attempt to assassinate one's political opponents? We shouldn't be horrified at such attempts?

Just to be clear, you are probably my political opponent. So, you are committed to the view that mailing a bomb to you would roughly be okay, at least if you were a bit more influential than the average Joe?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 10:28 AM   #106
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Well, surely deny that the perpetrator in question is right-wing.
We don't know yet, but I would put very heavy bets that the perps were right wingers.
What is scary aoubt this is I doubt all these bombs at the same time are coindicidence. We are dealing with a organixed group here.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th October 2018, 10:35 AM   #107
phunk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
We don't know yet, but I would put very heavy bets that the perps were right wingers.
What is scary aoubt this is I doubt all these bombs at the same time are coindicidence. We are dealing with a organixed group here.
It doesn't take more than one person to mail a bunch of packages, so "organized group" may be a bit premature to declare.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 10:36 AM   #108
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post

Read some of the twitter threads linked above. They don't need to do this, their base is already doing it for them.

We've gotten to the point where Trump doesn't even have to lie to his base to get them riled up, they'll quite happily lie to themselves.
Old 24th October 2018, 10:36 AM   #109
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I missed that link. The one where the suspect has been identified and proved to be a right winger.
Right. Could totally be the case that the attempted bomber is a liberal dissatisfied with Soros's effectiveness.

No, seriously, it's conceivable that the attacker isn't a conservative. I tell you what. We'll wait and see (I think that a suspect will likely be identified). In the meantime, how about a little wager?

If'n it's really clear (both of us agree) that the mailer is conservative, then I get your little icon rights, and if it's obvious he's not a conservative, then you get my poor (dead) dog taken off to be replaced by the image of your choice. Let's make it a one month wager.

Going for it? Seriously committed to the view that the bomber isn't on the right side of the fence? 'Cause I l think he is really likely to be over there. Conceivably might not be, but still really likely.
Old 24th October 2018, 10:38 AM   #110
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Weird phraseology?
Yes. Very odd, and maybe revealing.

Just to be clear, that was in reference to the murder in the Saudi consulate in Turkey of a Washington Post journalist.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 10:39 AM   #111
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Odds are good that the bomber is a right wing nut job given soros' infamy on among right wing nut jobs. There's a small chance its a random nut job with some idiosyncratic agenda like the Unabomber though.

Political violence* is always wrong regardless of the culprit.

*That is until I decide the government needs to be overthrown, then itabsolutely appropriate and anyone who disagrees is a counter-revolutionary reactionary in need of reeducation.
Kinda weird footnote there. What are you saying?

I think there are situations in which violence is appropriate. They are, I hope, rare. I have no opinion about reeducation, aside from the obvious fact that it is abused rather a lot.
Old 24th October 2018, 10:40 AM   #112
Bouncing Bettys
Thinker

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Right. Could totally be the case that the attempted bomber is a liberal dissatisfied with Soros's effectiveness.

No, seriously, it's conceivable that the attacker isn't a conservative. I tell you what. We'll wait and see (I think that a suspect will likely be identified). In the meantime, how about a little wager?

If'n it's really clear (both of us agree) that the mailer is conservative, then I get your little icon rights, and if it's obvious he's not a conservative, then you get my poor (dead) dog taken off to be replaced by the image of your choice. Let's make it a one month wager.

Going for it? Seriously committed to the view that the bomber isn't on the right side of the fence? 'Cause I l think he is really likely to be over there. Conceivably might not be, but still really likely.
Are we on the same site? wagers? www.internationalskeptics.com
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 10:43 AM   #113
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
It was Clock Boy
Ha ha! It's funny that someone tried to kill a person we don't like.

Ha ha! Brilliant as usual, dear apple... Really funny. Keep it up, because, after all, Soros has different political opinions and so might as well try and kill him, am I right?
Old 24th October 2018, 10:45 AM   #114
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Read some of the twitter threads linked above. They don't need to do this, their base is already doing it for them.

We've gotten to the point where Trump doesn't even have to lie to his base to get them riled up, they'll quite happily lie to themselves.
No, I meant literally. Start with a half assed investigation, track down roughly where the bombs where sent from, then find some camera footage of a man (obviously Hispanic, if possible) who happens to be a registered Democrat and start yelling HE DID IT! Then all the media runs DEMOCRAT BOMBS DEMOCRATS! headlines because I really don't think they could help themselves, and by the time everyone realises he's the wrong guy the midterms will be over. They've done this over and over and over, there's no question it would work, but can they pull it off in time?
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 10:45 AM   #115
Bouncing Bettys
Thinker

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Ha ha! It's funny that someone tried to kill a person we don't like.

Ha ha! Brilliant as usual, dear apple... Really funny. Keep it up, because, after all, Soros has different political opinions and so might as well try and kill him, am I right?
Says the poster making wagers with other posters about who is responsible for these attacks.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 10:46 AM   #116
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Are the chants at the rallies going to change to "Blow her up. Blow her up. Blow her up."?
Be fair.
Old 24th October 2018, 10:47 AM   #117
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Says the poster making wagers with other posters about who is responsible for these attacks.
The wager's not meant to be a joke, but a sign of confidence in the prediction. I don't see how the two are equivalent.

Old 24th October 2018, 10:48 AM   #118
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Given that all the targets are targets of Right Wing Rhetoric, I would say that thinking that a right wing nutbjo is responsible is a reasonable hypothesis. No one is claiming it's a proven fact.
Nice attempt at a straw man, though.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th October 2018, 10:53 AM   #119
Bouncing Bettys
Thinker

The wager's not meant to be a joke, but a sign of confidence in the prediction. I don't see how the two are equivalent.
I never assumed it was meant to be a joke. Making wagers on serious, potentially life-threatening events is just as classless. Great you won, now tell that to the victim.
Old 24th October 2018, 10:58 AM   #120
Bouncing Bettys
Thinker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Given that all the targets are targets of Right Wing Rhetoric, I would say that thinking that a right wing nutbjo is responsible is a reasonable hypothesis. No one is claiming it's a proven fact.
Nice attempt at a straw man, though.
Speculating is perfectly reasonable. However, making wagers among yourselves is classless if you ask me. Like betting what the over/under would be for the death toll on the Titanic once news broke that she was sinking.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics