ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bomb incidents , Cesar Sayoc , MAGAbomber , terrorism incidents

Old 24th October 2018, 11:02 AM   #121
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Are the chants at the rallies going to change to "Blow her up. Blow her up. Blow her up."?
My first impression was that someone will start a "Blow them up!" chant as soon as The PDJT starts talking about the Democrats at a rally. Only because we're at that point in the divisiveness now.
Old 24th October 2018, 11:03 AM   #122
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
Mark Rubio tweets
"An attack on an American who happens to be a Democrat, Republican or Independent is an attack on America. The terrorist behind this will soon find out that while a free people have politics that are conflictive,if you try to kill any of us you will have to face all of us."
Not a fan of Rubio, but this is a good statement.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:07 AM   #123
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
My first impression was that someone will start a "Blow them up!" chant as soon as The PDJT starts talking about the Democrats at a rally. Only because we're at that point in the divisiveness now.
People are going to be killed before this over, sadly. I think it has reached that point.
Tge saddest thing is ,if you check on the Dems?antifa thread, some "progressives" here have decided that violence in politics is what works and are pretty much advocating using the same tactics that Trump uses.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:09 AM   #124
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Speculating is perfectly reasonable. However, making wagers among yourselves is classless if you ask me. Like betting what the over/under would be for the death toll on the Titanic once news broke that she was sinking.
Jesus, you don't get that the making bets statement was just a expression for "I think it;'s highly likely"?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:12 AM   #125
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Says the poster making wagers with other posters about who is responsible for these attacks.
You think that's beyond the pale?

If so, I apologize. But the attacks have happened and I have, I think, pretty good idea of the political persuasion of the guilty party. I don't think that it's flippant to say so.

Nonetheless, if'n you were offended, I apologize.

That said, speak up! Were you offended or are you simply making a mountain out of a mole hill? Again, if you were offended, I'm ready with an apology. But are you genuinely offended?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:20 AM   #126
BrooklynBaby
Muse

I'm just waiting to hear from an expert on whether or not these bombs are supposed to blow up when the package is opened. The one that was dropped off at Soros' house was opened by one of his employees, who saw the bomb and called the police/FBI. The ones mailed to Obama and Clinton were screened and discovered by their Secret Service details.

So far, it appears we have someone mailing defective bombs (unless they aren't supposed to blow up, just scare people) being sent to people who aren't going to be opening their own mail anyway. I think a criminal mastermind can safely be ruled out.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:21 AM   #127
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
People are going to be killed before this over, sadly. I think it has reached that point.
Tge saddest thing is ,if you check on the Dems?antifa thread, some "progressives" here have decided that violence in politics is what works and are pretty much advocating using the same tactics that Trump uses.
That ain't the saddest thing. The saddest thing is when I go down to the strumpets level with childish taunts it actually works!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:23 AM   #128
Bouncing Bettys
Thinker

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
You think that's beyond the pale?

If so, I apologize. But the attacks have happened and I have, I think, pretty good idea of the political persuasion of the guilty party. I don't think that it's flippant to say so.

Nonetheless, if'n you were offended, I apologize.

That said, speak up! Were you offended or are you simply making a mountain out of a mole hill? Again, if you were offended, I'm ready with an apology. But are you genuinely offended?
I'm not offended. Just pointing out your hypocrisy when taking exception to someone making a joke about a serious situation after just having made a wager with another on the same subject. Some people use humour to deal with situations, some make wagers and speculate.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:23 AM   #129
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump must be seething - now all his Nemeses will be in the media spotlight for days to come.
No doubt he is planning something bizarre to get back into the limelight.
Old 24th October 2018, 11:26 AM   #130
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I come to a skeptics forum to see everyone jumping to conclusions before the facts are in.
It's what we do until the evidence comes in. We've single handedly successfully overthrown the evil regimes in Myanmar, Somalia, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, China and the Faroe Islands. We've solved every fire and mass murder within the first five posts. We found that missing Malaysian Airlines flight the first day, and those fools are still looking for it.

It's the ISF; it's what we do.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:30 AM   #131
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

So far bombs have been discovered mailed to Obama, the Clintons, Eric Holder (ended up at Debbie Wasserman Schultz' office) and John Brennan (c/o CNN).

Another package mailed to Maxine Waters has been flagged at a mailing facility but I'm not quite sure whether that one has advanced from "suspicious package" to "yeah it's a bomb" level yet.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:31 AM   #132
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Are we on the same site? wagers? www.internationalskeptics.com
Yes, why not?

Economists use wagers in order to determine degrees of belief. I'm willing to do the same. Why not?
Old 24th October 2018, 11:31 AM   #133
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Nothing un-skeptical about coming to the most obvious conclusion, given current data, as long as you are willing to change it as new evidence comes in.
Old 24th October 2018, 11:32 AM   #134
applecorped
Suspended

Lousy bomber.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:36 AM   #135
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Not a fan of Rubio, but this is a good statement.
Neither am I
portlandatheist is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:38 AM   #136
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Quote:
I’m going to go ahead and state that there is a 0% chance that these “suspicious packages” were sent out by conservatives.

The only thing “suspicious” about these packages, is their timing.

Caravans, fake bomb threats—these leftists are going ALL OUT for midterms.

-- Candace Owens (Oct 24, 2018)

"I'll give it 0.09% chance" -- Aunt Bea

The Left: An Unhinged Mob
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:40 AM   #137
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The bomber's politics are shallow. This wasn't directed at people very deep on the depth chart. If I was doing it, I would have to seed in some politically nerdy targets, like a Steny Hoyer.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 24th October 2018 at 11:41 AM.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:41 AM   #138
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I never assumed it was meant to be a joke. Making wagers on serious, potentially life-threatening events is just as classless. Great you won, now tell that to the victim.
To be clear, no one has died as a result of these terrible attempts. I probably wouldn't have suggested a wager if someone died.

More to the fact: what I'm saying is this. The, perpetrator is almost certainly on the right side of the political spectrum. Honestly, duh. So, if you want to pretend that you're horrified by the terms I used to express this fact (and, honestly, I don't believe you), then you're merely ignoring the point.

Anyway, congrats on the feigned outrage. I'm sure that someone reading this thread believed it.
Old 24th October 2018, 11:44 AM   #139
Bouncing Bettys
Thinker

To be clear, no one has died as a result of these terrible attempts. I probably wouldn't have suggested a wager if someone died.

More to the fact: what I'm saying is this. The, perpetrator is almost certainly on the right side of the political spectrum. Honestly, duh. So, if you want to pretend that you're horrified by the terms I used to express this fact (and, honestly, I don't believe you), then you're merely ignoring the point.

Anyway, congrats on the feigned outrage. I'm sure that someone reading this thread believed it.
As i already said:
"I'm not offended. Just pointing out your hypocrisy when taking exception to someone making a joke about a serious situation after just having made a wager with another on the same subject. Some people use humour to deal with situations, some make wagers and speculate."
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:46 AM   #140
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not offended. Just pointing out your hypocrisy when taking exception to someone making a joke about a serious situation after just having made a wager with another on the same subject. Some people use humour to deal with situations, some make wagers and speculate.
No, the offer for a wager was not at all flippant. You're pretending to be offended, but you know damned well that it was an indirect statement about my belief regarding political persuasion of the perpetrator.

Anyway, congrats on your faux horror. We all totally bought it.
Old 24th October 2018, 11:51 AM   #141
Bouncing Bettys
Thinker

No, the offer for a wager was not at all flippant. You're pretending to be offended, but you know damned well that it was an indirect statement about my belief regarding political persuasion of the perpetrator.

Offended by a joke?

Old 24th October 2018, 11:51 AM   #142
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

As i already said:
"I'm not offended. Just pointing out your hypocrisy when taking exception to someone making a joke about a serious situation after just having made a wager with another on the same subject. Some people use humour to deal with situations, some make wagers and speculate."
It's genuinely not the same.

But never mind. The point you've expressed is this: you were not offended by my offer of a wager. You say that this offer was inconsistent with my criticism of applecorped.

Which is, of course, just stupid, but never mind. Let me pretend for the moment that your stupid claim is really deep and insightful, so that I can stop talking to you.

So: good point.
Old 24th October 2018, 11:56 AM   #143
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

CNN is saying that NYPD is saying the CNN bomb also contained a white powder.
Old 24th October 2018, 11:56 AM   #144
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

I don't think anyone has any real, serious doubt that this is the result of conservative fear and anger left unfettered. Rather, there are conspiracy-minded individuals who will say what they need to say to perpetuate the narrative that it's the liberals' fault.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:59 AM   #145
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Offended by a joke?

Yes, I was (mildly) offended by a joke which suggested that the perpetrator of a(n attempted) violent attack was an innocent kid, who happened to be falsely accused previously.

The packages were real bombs, aimed at hurting real persons. Applecorped was, frankly, being a dick in makng that joke. I hope that comment doesn't violate the rules, since I'm speaking about a particular utterance and not about the person.

I was never so flippant. The attacks happened. It is very probable that the attacker was on the (so-called) conservative side of the political spectrum. This opinion is precisely what my proferred wager expressed to any roughly literate person.
Old 24th October 2018, 12:00 PM   #146
Belz...
Fiend God

I never assumed it was meant to be a joke. Making wagers on serious, potentially life-threatening events is just as classless. Great you won, now tell that to the victim.
Well you'll forgive me if I don't share your keyboard outrage at such things.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 12:04 PM   #147
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
CNN is saying that NYPD is saying the CNN bomb also contained a white powder.

Probably itching powder from the looks of the Mad Bomber's efficiency.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 12:12 PM   #148
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
NBC has obtained a photo of one of the devices.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tom_Winte...27409484271616
So Anthony Wiener is not the only one putting out pictures of suspicious packages.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 12:15 PM   #149
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
So Anthony Wiener is not the only one putting out pictures of suspicious packages.
My understanding is that Wiener's package was proved to be inert.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 12:19 PM   #150
The Big Dog

the one sent to CNN had an ISIS flag sticker on it, for what that is worth.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 12:21 PM   #151
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Unfortunately we might be nearing a point where they end up being correct, if the alternative is to let democracy slip through 'our' fingers.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 12:22 PM   #152
Belz...
Fiend God

As i already said:
For pete's sake, let it go. There was no hypocrisy there.

Old 24th October 2018, 12:23 PM   #153
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
the one sent to CNN had an ISIS flag sticker on it, for what that is worth.
Citation, please.
Old 24th October 2018, 12:25 PM   #154
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Citation, please.
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1055145750793990145
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 12:27 PM   #155
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I bet the perp is a Trumper.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 12:28 PM   #156
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Kinda weird putting a sticker on something you expect to explode.
Maybe some kind of 'blessing"
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 12:29 PM   #157
phunk
Illuminator

Or maybe a literal false flag in case it doesn't explode.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 12:29 PM   #158
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Or maybe it wasn't actually ISIS who put it there. I don't think ISIS has any particular favorite in US politics.

I'd put better odds on it being someone from this forum than ISIS. Gawd knows we've got our fair share of wingnut wackos here.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 24th October 2018 at 12:31 PM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 12:31 PM   #159
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Yeah, dead ringer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg isis-flag.jpg (24.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 24th October 2018, 12:33 PM   #160
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Where's the ISIS flag, the black bit with the white squiggles? Is there a higher res image as when I try to zoom in on that there isn't enough detail to clearly make it out?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics