ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bomb incidents , Cesar Sayoc , MAGAbomber , terrorism incidents

Old 24th October 2018, 01:22 PM   #201
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
There were no significant consequences from Trump suggesting that his supporters should assassinate Hillary during the campaign. This is just a little farther.
If you don't succeed at first....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 01:26 PM   #202
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

CNN said Maxine Waters got a bomb. Not sure if confirmed.
Old 24th October 2018, 01:28 PM   #203
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
In all seriousness, I don't think that's actually the ISIS flag. I think it's an imitation of the image. Someone on Twitter posted this and, as ridiculous as the image is, I think that's closer to what's on the device. (slightly NSFW)
The bombs were sent by Larry the Cable Guy?!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 01:37 PM   #204
bytewizard
Master Poster

Surely, all the recipients of these "bombs" have security cameras. Let's see the footage.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 01:39 PM   #205
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Surely, all the recipients of these "bombs" have security cameras. Let's see the footage.
You suspect it's the UPS guy delivering the packages?

Bold claim.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 01:41 PM   #206
michael44
Critical Thinker

Some from the right have already called this a liberal hoax due to the fact that none of the bombs went off. What their not taking into consideration, is that most the packages had been intercepted before reaching their intended target/s.

At any rate, i'm confident authorities will soon find the source.
michael44 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 01:43 PM   #207
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

We were lucky, this time.
Sad thing is there will come a time when the bomber won't be quite as inept.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 01:45 PM   #208
AnonyMoose
Muse

Doesn't Trump have another pep rally tonight?

Imagine his speech writers scrambling to make a bunch of changes to his cheerleading mantra that he was going to spew out at his cult minions in a few hours:

Original: "Democrats are an evil mob trying to destroy our great country! Lock them up!"
Correction: "Democrats aren't like us, but I'm sure some of them are nice people."

Original: "Gianforte punches a journalist, he's our guy!"
Correction: "I don't condone violence, but I'm sure Gianforte is a nice guy."

Original: "If you see any hecklers in the crowd, punch them out, I'll pay for the legal fees."
Correction: "If you see any hecklers in the crowd, politely and gently show them the front door."

Original: "Fake news! CNN is nothing but fake news! Enemy of the people!""
Correction: "CNN is saying that they had a bomb threat today, but my sources are still investigating and aren't sure who's responsible yet."

Hoo boy! These poor speech writers have their work cut out for them...

Old 24th October 2018, 01:52 PM   #209
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
People are going to be killed before this over, sadly. I think it has reached that point.
Tge saddest thing is ,if you check on the Dems?antifa thread, some "progressives" here have decided that violence in politics is what works and are pretty much advocating using the same tactics that Trump uses.

"the same tactics that Trump uses". What kind of tactics do you mean? Lies like this one, for instance?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 01:54 PM   #210
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

In all seriousness, I don't think that's actually the ISIS flag. I think it's an imitation of the image. Someone on Twitter posted this and, as ridiculous as the image is, I think that's closer to what's on the device. (slightly NSFW)
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
It honestly looks more like this parody of the ISIS flag:

ISIS Threatens Revenge for Counterfeit Flags

Look at the center of the "Arabic" writing in the image in your twitter link. The three center characters are near mirror images - like in the parody flag.

(ETA: Got spanked by Scum. There's a joke in there somewhere, give me time....)
Looking at the images, I did notice a discrepancy between most images of a "legitimate" ISIS flag, with the pattern of the white markings on the device. But I didn't want to bring it up because I couldn't rule out that there were variations of legitimate ISIS flags because I honestly don't know much about them.

However, that parody flag you both link to, matches the image on the bomb precisely. It's a....false flag, indeed.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 01:59 PM   #211
Checkmite

Originally Posted by michael44 View Post
Some from the right have already called this a liberal hoax due to the fact that none of the bombs went off. What their not taking into consideration, is that most the packages had been intercepted before reaching their intended target/s.
I've also heard that the fact most of the packages had been intercepted, also proves this is a liberal hoax because it shows the intended recipients were "never in any danger" due to screening, which obviously whoever sent the bombs must have known when he/she sent them.

Never mind that the ATF have confirmed that the bombs, though "crude" and low-power, nevertheless were working bombs and would have injured or killed people when they detonated, wherever they were.

Last edited by Checkmite; 24th October 2018 at 02:00 PM.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 02:04 PM   #212
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Looking at the images, I did notice a discrepancy between most images of a "legitimate" ISIS flag, with the pattern of the white markings on the device. But I didn't want to bring it up because I couldn't rule out that there were variations of legitimate ISIS flags because I honestly don't know much about them.

However, that parody flag you both link to, matches the image on the bomb precisely. It's a....false flag, indeed.

This is the "original" ISIS flag:

The "we don't just fail at drawing a circle, even or egg is broken" is not what we see decorating "the bombs", I agree.

For the record and comparison of calligraphy, this is the al Qaeda flag:

the old flag of Saudi Arabia:

and the new flag of Saudi Arabia:

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 24th October 2018 at 02:06 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 02:11 PM   #213
michael44
Critical Thinker

I've also heard that the fact most of the packages had been intercepted, also proves this is a liberal hoax because it shows the intended recipients were "never in any danger" due to screening, which obviously whoever sent the bombs must have known when he/she sent them.

Never mind that the ATF have confirmed that the bombs, though "crude" and low-power, nevertheless were working bombs and would have injured or killed people when they detonated, wherever they were.
Still, this is speculation at best. Receiving bombs or hazardous chemicals has long been an anticipated threat to those who's political opinions are front row theater. Especially given the current political climate. Either way, anyone of these devices could have easily detonated, making this appear a bit less hoaxworthy.
michael44 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 02:14 PM   #214
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by michael44 View Post

At any rate, i'm confident authorities will soon find the source.
Sure, the bombs are a hoax but Pizzagate, that's real!
Old 24th October 2018, 02:26 PM   #215
Checkmite

It's fair to point out that a phony terrorist attack of this nature is NOT without precedent.

In 2013, letters containing ricin were mailed to President Obama, MS senator Roger Wicker and a retired county judge under the guise of a terror attack; but it was actually an attempt by a Tupelo man to frame an internet rival in order to win an online feud. It's really an amazing and absurd story, which you can read about here.
Old 24th October 2018, 02:41 PM   #216
bytewizard
Master Poster

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
You suspect it's the UPS guy delivering the packages?

Bold claim.
Reports are that Soros' and CNN's packages were hand delivered. On Soros' package, the stamps did not have a cancellation mark. Who placed the package in his mailbox? Video, if available, would help.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 02:47 PM   #217
The Big Dog

Cuomo called out the national Guard in response to the hoax bombs....

The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 02:48 PM   #218
Checkmite

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
well, the one sent to CNN is clearly a hoax device.
I have to disagree with this. Fireworks mortars are still live explosives. Hoax devices contain no explosives at all.

If you have correctly identified the pieces on the ends as fireworks mortars, that could simply mean they are being used as blasting caps for the device.

Last edited by Checkmite; 24th October 2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 24th October 2018, 02:52 PM   #219
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Stay classy GOP supporters.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kevinsido...10613847347205
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 03:00 PM   #220
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
To the surprise of nobody, Alex Jones is yelling False Flag over this.
Statred a thread in Conspiracy theories about this.
Wasn't he literally yelling at some horse crap a couple of days ago?

Yes. Yes he was.

In any event, it's not like Dolt 45 has done much to distance his politics from the sort of crude antisemitism that posits Soros as some sort of evil scheming puppetmaster - even Chuck Grassley affirmed that one on tv. Things could change, of course, but for now it looks like one of his nutbar followers.

As for his words of how we have to come together now...nope, too late. That's the price you pay when you lie and promote bigotry. If he were perfectly honest from now on, and contrite, and reasonable, I could see myself considering taking him as somewhat trustworthy 5-6 years from now. But his presidency is sunk. Best thing for both the country, and the GOP, would be for the vast majority of these guys at the national level to pack it up and go, and find actual honest people to run in their stead.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 03:07 PM   #221
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Reports are that Soros' and CNN's packages were hand delivered. On Soros' package, the stamps did not have a cancellation mark. Who placed the package in his mailbox? Video, if available, would help.
I know, right? It's *unbelievable* that investigating the incident could be more important than supplying video on demand for Alex Jones or whoever else these reports are coming from.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 03:48 PM   #222
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

That the bomb was sent in a soft padded paper shipping envelope is curious for a real bomb. How could it be triggered on opening rather than by just rough handling?
Old 24th October 2018, 04:07 PM   #223
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Is this the best that Soros, Obama and Clinton could come up with -- suspicious packages?

Liberal hoax!

The Left: An Unhinged Mob
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 04:08 PM   #224
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Update on bomb scares today - FBI has confirmed five targets: George Soros, Pres. Obama, Sec. Clinton, former CIA head John Brennan (via CNN), & Eric Holder. His package went to Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz. She was listed as return address on all five

https://www.wired.com/story/mail-bom...rmation-storm/
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 04:16 PM   #225
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

"The intent here was mass murder."

-- Jake Tapper (Oct 24, 2018)

The Left: An Unhinged Mob

Last edited by Slings and Arrows; 24th October 2018 at 04:18 PM.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 04:35 PM   #226
Mumbles
Philosopher

It's remarkable how people with very obvious hatred towards black people, or women, in this very thread, will converge upon antisemitism. People who love when police shoot innocent black children, people who gladly tell rape jokes...

Does anyone have a series of books to understand this? I have to admit, I've read US history with an eye on black people, but I simply don't get why it's okay to personally slip a pipe bomb in the mailbox of an old jewish guy.

In any case, there may be more bombs detected tomorrow, but that's no reason to stop what I'm doing to organize, or to raise another generation to do likewise.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 04:38 PM   #227
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
Is this the best that Soros, Obama and Clinton could come up with -- suspicious packages?

Liberal hoax!
Stay classy.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 04:40 PM   #228
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
"The intent here was mass murder."

-- Jake Tapper (Oct 24, 2018)
The FBI defines mass murder as four or more.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 04:41 PM   #229
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Update on bomb scares today - FBI has confirmed five targets: George Soros, Pres. Obama, Sec. Clinton, former CIA head John Brennan (via CNN), & Eric Holder. His package went to Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz. She was listed as return address on all five

https://www.wired.com/story/mail-bom...rmation-storm/
Is Schultz trying to eliminate her competition?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 04:46 PM   #230
Cain
Straussian

Sending bombs is just stupid. I mail my enemies a bullet. Last I check, this is still America. We kill our people with guns, not bombs.
Old 24th October 2018, 04:48 PM   #231
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Sending bombs is just stupid. I mail my enemies a bullet. Last I check, this is still America. We kill our people with guns, not bombs.
Eeeehhh..... either way
Old 24th October 2018, 04:54 PM   #232
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
It is just as likely that one of the CNN talking heads, or their supporters, sent this, so they could go on air to say that it was a Trumper, but it was really to try to shed the JobsNotMobs slogan that is killing them right now. "Look! The trumpers are Mobs too"
You honestly think that's just as likely?

Well, surely, let's wait and see. Evidence will come, I imagine. I wonder whether you'll accept it.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 04:59 PM   #233
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

She is likely torn between three options:

1. It was ISIS.
2. It was liberals.
3. ISIS is liberals.
Don't much like your smug name, but this post is damned funny. And on point.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 05:08 PM   #234
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
That the bomb was sent in a soft padded paper shipping envelope is curious for a real bomb. How could it be triggered on opening rather than by just rough handling?
They were on a timer per NBC.
Details on the bombs:

• Made from PVC Pipe
• Contained a timer
• Powder in bombs comes from a pyrotechnic
• X-rays show shrapnel likely inside the PVC pipe
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 05:11 PM   #235
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
You honestly think that's just as likely?

Well, surely, let's wait and see. Evidence will come, I imagine. I wonder whether you'll accept it.
Only if Trump tells him to.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 05:13 PM   #236
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
The trigger mechanism still has to take manual manipulations, being inside a flexible bag envelope, and not explode until opening. Was the timer somehow set for a later time? Or was that not functioning?
Old 24th October 2018, 05:24 PM   #237
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Go **** yourself with a branding iron Fox News.
Old 24th October 2018, 05:28 PM   #238
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

The trigger mechanism still has to take manual manipulations, being inside a flexible bag envelope, and not explode until opening. Was the timer somehow set for a later time? Or was that not functioning?
It was just a time bomb.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 05:33 PM   #239
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Wasn't he literally yelling at some horse crap a couple of days ago?

Yes. Yes he was.

In any event, it's not like Dolt 45 has done much to distance his politics from the sort of crude antisemitism that posits Soros as some sort of evil scheming puppetmaster - even Chuck Grassley affirmed that one on tv. Things could change, of course, but for now it looks like one of his nutbar followers.

As for his words of how we have to come together now...nope, too late. That's the price you pay when you lie and promote bigotry. If he were perfectly honest from now on, and contrite, and reasonable, I could see myself considering taking him as somewhat trustworthy 5-6 years from now. But his presidency is sunk. Best thing for both the country, and the GOP, would be for the vast majority of these guys at the national level to pack it up and go, and find actual honest people to run in their stead.
Has there been a time when Jones was not shouting horsecrap of some kind or other?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th October 2018, 05:35 PM   #240
Elagabalus
Illuminator

One was sent to Brennan c/o CNN only Brennan works for MSNBC. So maybe not the sharpest tool in the shed?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics