ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bomb incidents , Cesar Sayoc , MAGAbomber , terrorism incidents

Old 24th October 2018, 07:06 PM   #281
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Why would Republicans mail fake bombs to Democrats who don't even open their own mail? What would be the motive?
Warning shot?

"Awful nice secretary you got there, be a shame if anything happened to him"
Old 24th October 2018, 07:10 PM   #282
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
As it wasn't a discussion of likelihood, it isnt under a requirement to he.
In other words, it was a totally pointless post meant only to ....what?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 07:11 PM   #283
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Why would Republicans mail fake bombs to Democrats who don't even open their own mail? What would be the motive?
So they can do exactly what they're doing: blaming Democrats.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 07:12 PM   #284
Distracted1
Master Poster

Or, if you wish to remain in the nihilistic dystopia the Trumsters are ushering in

It was a double-reverse false flag. Right winger mails fake bombs to Democratic lawmakers in attempt to frame up left-wing activist for the crime of attempting to frame up right wingers, figures the bombs should be ineffective in order to make it look more like the sender did not really wish for the Democratic lawmakers to come to any harm.
Old 24th October 2018, 07:13 PM   #285
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
"Some bomb technicians who studied photos of the device suggested that the bomb sent to CNN had hallmarks of fake explosives ó the kind more typically depicted on television and in movies, rather than devices capable of detonating.

"A digital clock was taped to the middle of the pipe, a feature that experts say is typically shown on fictional bombs in an attempt to ratchet up dramatic tension, but unnecessary in real life.

"In fact, bombmakers generally avoid attaching visible clocks to their devices to keep from tipping off their targets about when the bombs are set to explode."

-- The New York Times (Oct 24, 2018)
So what? A stupid Trump supporter isn't exactly a stretch of the imagination.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 07:15 PM   #286
phunk
Illuminator

If you believe that them being fake means it must have been Democrats faking this whole thing, then you've answered your own question.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 07:16 PM   #287
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

As it wasn't a discussion of likelihood, it isnt under a requirement to he.
Please do not generate lists of logical possibilities. It is a waste of time.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 07:17 PM   #288
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
In other words, it was a totally pointless post meant only to ....what?
I don't find it pointless. I finda discussion over a range of possibilities regarding an issue a richly rewarding experience.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 07:17 PM   #289
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
A quote from the failing New York Times?

"A law enforcement official says tests have determined that a powder found inside an envelope delivered to CNN along with a pipe bomb was harmless."

-- The Associated Press (Oct 24, 2018)

The Left: An Unhinged Mob
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 07:18 PM   #290
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Or, if you wish to remain in the nihilistic dystopia the Trumsters are ushering in

It was a double-reverse false flag. Right winger mails fake bombs to Democratic lawmakers in attempt to frame up left-wing activist for the crime of attempting to frame up right wingers, figures the bombs should be ineffective in order to make it look more like the sender did not really wish for the Democratic lawmakers to come to any harm.
Ahhhhh, the ol' reverse-whammy, double-whammy, whammy-whammy trick! It's second time this month that I've fallen for it.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 07:19 PM   #291
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Please do not generate lists of logical possibilities. It is a waste of time.
Every post here is a waste of time.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 07:19 PM   #292
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I don't find it pointless. I finda discussion over a range of possibilities regarding an issue a richly rewarding experience.
Even if those 'possibilities' are outside the range of common sense or logic? May I suggest the Conspiracy Theories thread?
Old 24th October 2018, 07:21 PM   #293
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Even if those 'possibilities' are outside the range of common sense or logic? May I suggest the Conspiracy Theories thread?
Especially those.

It isn't a conspiracy unless if I assign an appropriate level of probability.
Old 24th October 2018, 07:23 PM   #294
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Especially those.

It isn't a conspiracy unless if I assign an appropriate level of probability.
Now you're just "Bobbing".
Old 24th October 2018, 07:29 PM   #295
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Off the top of my head?

Revenge for "pizzagate".

Justice for the Hillary "murders"

Justice for Soros "being in the SS & rounding up Jews.

Justice for the American people when they were tricked into electing a "secret Muslim born in Kenya" to President.

Protecting the country against the liberal "mob".
Old 24th October 2018, 07:41 PM   #296
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Quote:
White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Wednesday night hit back at CNN over the network president's fierce criticism of the Trump administration's rhetoric toward the press following a bomb scare at CNN's New York City office.

"[President Trump] asked Americans 'to come together and send one very clear, strong, unmistakable message that acts or threats of political violence of any kind have no place in the USA' Yet you chose to attack and divide. America should unite against all political violence," Sanders wrote on Twitter.
Linky.

Quote:
President Donald Trump pointed the finger Wednesday night at his opponents and the news media for the turbulent national political environment, on the same day it was revealed explosive devices were mailed to the Obamas, the Clintons, CNN and other public officials.

"Any acts or threats of political violence are an attack on our democracy itself. No nation can succeed that tolerates violence or the threat of violence as a method of political intimidation, corrosion or control, we all know that. Such conduct much be fiercely opposed and firmly prosecuted," he said.

"We want all sides to come together in peace and harmony. We can do it. We can do it. We can do it. It'll happen."

Then he pivoted, saying those in the political arena "must stop treating political opponents as being morally defective."

"The language of moral condemnation and destructive, routine -- these are arguments and disagreements that have to stop," said Trump, who has routinely labeled Waters "crazy," referred to the news media as the "enemy of the people," called those who held up his Supreme Court nominee "people that are evil" and blamed "both sides" when a neo-Nazi ran over and killed a counter-protester in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Linky.
Old 24th October 2018, 08:00 PM   #297
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

So many bombs. So few explosions. Are we sure this is a terrorist attack?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 08:03 PM   #298
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Well, the attack was perpetrated by a Trump supporter so we expect a certain level of incompetence.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 08:03 PM   #299
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I saw terrorism in this thread. I'm not sure about attack.

ETA: there it is
Old 24th October 2018, 08:04 PM   #300
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Well, the attack was perpetrated by a Trump supporter so we expect a certain level of incompetence.
Is it an attack if it was fake?
Old 24th October 2018, 08:06 PM   #301
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
Mark Rubio tweets
"An attack on an American who happens to be a Democrat, Republican or Independent is an attack on America. The terrorist behind this will soon find out that while a free people have politics that are conflictive,if you try to kill any of us you will have to face all of us."
He hasn't been told about the second amendment option?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 08:11 PM   #302
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I thought we didn't identify the perpetrator yet.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 08:25 PM   #303
angrysoba
Philosophile

I was not responding to a post that assigned a probability. It wasn't a discussion of likelihood.
Thatís not how skepticism works, Bob. Thatís how being an asshat works!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 08:27 PM   #304
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I thought we didn't identify the perpetrator yet.
Who cares? It only has to be a Trump supporter until November 7th. If it turns out to be a Democrat supporter we can dismiss him as a misguided fool. For now, this attack is indicative of the mindset of Trump supporters. Questions of honor and honesty don't apply to Trump. As long as it's legal, the ends justify the means.
Old 24th October 2018, 08:28 PM   #305
angrysoba
Philosophile

In the same way that masturbation is a richly rewarding experience? As much as that might be true itís not a richly rewarding experience for those you do it in front of.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 08:34 PM   #306
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Packages to Soros, Obamas, Clintons, Brennan c/o CNN, Holder -- these devices, per law enforcement sources, were rudimentary but functional.

Meaning the intent here was mass murder.

-- Jake Tapper (Oct 24, 2018)

Lie number 1: rudimentary but functional.

Lie number 2: the intent here was mass murder.

CNN is Fake News!

Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 08:40 PM   #307
Elagabalus
Illuminator

CNN is Fake News!
Enjoy it while you can!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 09:29 PM   #308
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

CNN is Fake News!
Sometimes a narrative is all a man has left to cling to.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 09:41 PM   #309
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

I won't be surprised if this turns out to be something 4chan came up with.

"Let's make some fake bombs and watch the libtard snowflakes get triggered! Lol! Libtard cucks, am I right? Hey mom, is my pizza done yet? Mooom? MAGA! Lol!"

Last edited by Lambchops; 24th October 2018 at 09:51 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 10:33 PM   #310
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Incorrect. If you have been paying attention the devices were constructed from a PVC pipe that was filled with fireworks pyrotechnics (basically gunpowder and carious metal compounds that burn to give colours) and metal shrapnel, then capped and puttied to keep the ends tight.

These are functional explosives, very rudimentary ones, and they certainly weren't built by the brain of Britain, but they are a very simple pipe bomb that would't take a lot of skill to build. They are no where near a professional complex job, but they doesn't make them fake in any way.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 10:38 PM   #311
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
In the same way that masturbation is a richly rewarding experience? As much as that might be true itís not a richly rewarding experience for those you do it in front of.
Bwwwwaaahhhaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaaa!!!:thumbs up:
Old 24th October 2018, 11:03 PM   #312
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Clearly just a nutcase, nothing to see here, he wasn't a real conservative anyway.

If we use the same standard as proposed for Islamic terrorists anyway, which I don't think we should do, but I think it's worthwhile to mention every time something like this comes up.

Incitement of hatred over a long period of time will produce incidents such as these. I'm not surprised in the slightest this happened. It's a good thing no one was hurt, at least. I hope the perpetrator (terrorist) will be behind bars before the weekend. Is there any indication whether the devices were viable? That is to say nothing exploded, was this due to good security, luck or deliberately nonfunctional bombs? Does anyone know?

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 24th October 2018 at 11:04 PM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:09 PM   #313
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
Clearly just a nutcase, nothing to see here, he wasn't a real conservative anyway.

If we use the same standard as proposed for Islamic terrorists anyway, which I don't think we should do, but I think it's worthwhile to mention every time something like this comes up.

Incitement of hatred over a long period of time will produce incidents such as these. I'm not surprised in the slightest this happened. It's a good thing no one was hurt, at least. I hope the perpetrator (terrorist) will be behind bars before the weekend. Is there any indication whether the devices were viable? That is to say nothing exploded, was this due to good security, luck or deliberately nonfunctional bombs? Does anyone know?

McHrozni
Supposedly, they were on a timer and might have been intercepted prematurely.
But there is a chance that the bombs were never meant to go off - they look a bit too much like movie/video game bombs and not like the work of professionals.

I agree that incitement of violence is the problem - and Trump is either spewing the hatred himself or retweets/supports/shields those who do.
Old 24th October 2018, 11:27 PM   #314
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
here is another view.

https://twitter.com/TAPAlerts/status...66869290790917

By the way, the device seems really small.
Thanks but that seems even lower resolution, I'm still only seeing a black piece of something with white squiggles. I'm very surprised no report is carrying the fact (not checked the news this morning before I post this) that their is an ISIS flag on the bomb.

"letter bombs" for I'd have thought obvious tend to be on the small side. Those that do explode tend to only injure the opener (very occasionally kill the opener).
Old 24th October 2018, 11:27 PM   #315
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Incorrect. If you have been paying attention the devices were constructed from a PVC pipe that was filled with fireworks pyrotechnics (basically gunpowder and carious metal compounds that burn to give colours) and metal shrapnel, then capped and puttied to keep the ends tight.

These are functional explosives, very rudimentary ones, and they certainly weren't built by the brain of Britain, but they are a very simple pipe bomb that would't take a lot of skill to build. They are no where near a professional complex job, but they doesn't make them fake in any way.

"A law enforcement official says tests have determined that a powder found inside an envelope delivered to CNN along with a pipe bomb was harmless.

"The official wasnít authorized to discuss the investigation publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity."

-- The Associated Press (Oct 24, 2018) 7:50pm

Old 24th October 2018, 11:28 PM   #316
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Might also be an ISIS flag as part of the message to the recipients, accusing them of being aligned to ISIS. I know first hand in the first Gulf war of at least one missile painted with Saddam's face, and a message written to him. The same thing was done with bombs in prior wars, I believe.
If you recall Trump claims that Obama started ISIS.
Old 24th October 2018, 11:32 PM   #317
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Trump: 24 Oct 2018
""we must stop treating political opponents as being morally defective.""
Lyin' Ted, Crooked Hillary, Slimeball James Comey, Cheatin' Obama, Sleazy Adam Schiff all probably agree with this fine sentiment from their esteemed president.

Set your watches.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:32 PM   #318
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

"A law enforcement official says tests have determined that a powder found inside an envelope delivered to CNN along with a pipe bomb was harmless.

"The official wasnít authorized to discuss the investigation publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity."

-- The Associated Press (Oct 24, 2018) 7:50pm
Learn to read.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:34 PM   #319
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Learn to read.

Learn how to post a link to your claims.

Old 24th October 2018, 11:40 PM   #320
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

CNN is Fake News!
Oh I get it! We can just declare things we want to be true, but have zero substantiation, and they just magically become facts!

Lie number 1: The Winner of the mega lotto was not Travis.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics