ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bomb incidents , Cesar Sayoc , MAGAbomber , terrorism incidents

Old 24th October 2018, 11:40 PM   #321
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
Learn how to post a link to your claims.
Everything I posted has already been posted and linked to in this thread. As I noted right from the start, had you been paying attention, you'd know.

Since you missed them though....

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...2#post12477892

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...0#post12477960

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:44 PM   #322
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Supposedly, they were on a timer and might have been intercepted prematurely.
But there is a chance that the bombs were never meant to go off - they look a bit too much like movie/video game bombs and not like the work of professionals.
I'm quite sure anyone who can claim to be a professional is also intelligent enough not to send these to Soros, CNN, Obama and the Clintons.

Or support Trump for that matter.

Quote:
I agree that incitement of violence is the problem - and Trump is either spewing the hatred himself or retweets/supports/shields those who do.
Yup. It is a problem no matter who it comes from, the more important person the larger the problem.

I'm just using this case to show the hypocrisy when it comes to terrorism. Clearly this is an act of terrorism, clearly all the media is calling it such, even Fox News and Newt Grinch are. But the next time a Muslim will go on a killing spree shouting "God is greatest" we'll all be hearing again how it's only terrorism when a Muslim does it.

Such hypocrisy is a major reason why Trump and his vermin were able to rise in the first place.

McHrozni
Old 24th October 2018, 11:46 PM   #323
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

"A law enforcement official says tests have determined that a powder found inside an envelope delivered to CNN along with a pipe bomb was harmless.

"The official wasn’t authorized to discuss the investigation publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity."

-- The Associated Press (Oct 24, 2018) 7:50pm
That states the powder found alongside the bomb in the envelope was harmless, not the that the bomb was harmless.
Old 24th October 2018, 11:53 PM   #324
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I will just say that I hope they catch the guy, and I suspect they will; this does not strike me as some criminal mastermind.

There is nothing so important in this election that killing people is justified to make it happen.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:54 PM   #325
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That states the powder found alongside the bomb in the envelope was harmless, not the that the bomb was harmless.

"The pipe bomb and white powder that forced an evacuation at CNN headquarters in New York City Wednesday morning were harmless, a law enforcement source told the Associated Press."

-- National Review (Oct 24, 2018)

The Left: An Unhinged Mob
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 11:55 PM   #326
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

"A law enforcement official says tests have determined that a powder found inside an envelope delivered to CNN along with a pipe bomb was harmless.

"The official wasn’t authorized to discuss the investigation publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity."

-- The Associated Press (Oct 24, 2018) 7:50pm
So if I try to kill someone, but I fail because I'm utterly incompetent, I should just walk? No jail for me, because intent doesn't matter, right? Abolish the whole "attempted murder" thing?

"Party of law and order" indeed...
Old 24th October 2018, 11:59 PM   #327
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Never mind.

Last edited by Lambchops; 25th October 2018 at 12:06 AM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 12:38 AM   #328
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
So if I try to kill someone, but I fail because I'm utterly incompetent, I should just walk? No jail for me, because intent doesn't matter, right? Abolish the whole "attempted murder" thing?

More context is needed to make this horrendous analogy less cringe.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 12:42 AM   #329
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

I doubt if you can be charged with "attempted murder" for mailing something harmless. Perhaps there is some law pertaining to "implied threat." Don't know.

Whatever the case, when they do finally catch the Democrats that did this, maybe a few years in prison will set their minds right.

The Left: An Unhinged Mob
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 12:50 AM   #330
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Has there been a time when Jones was not shouting horsecrap of some kind or other?
Yelling horsecrap? Oh yes, all the time.

Yelling *at* some horsecrap? That's a bit new. I honestly feel bad for his ex.

But I do want to return him from some major political speaker, to some fringe lunatic, no matter whether he's acting or not. And it helps to point out that he's a paid lunatic literally yelling at horse crap in the middle of the street.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 01:08 AM   #331
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

"The pipe bomb and white powder that forced an evacuation at CNN headquarters in New York City Wednesday morning were harmless, a law enforcement source told the Associated Press."

Quote:
Crude but functional low-ordnance explosive devices found in at least two of the packages consisted of a pipe, wires and black powder, a law enforcement official told CBS News senior investigative producer Pat Milton.
http://www.cbsnews.com/amp/live-news...-live-updates/
Old 25th October 2018, 01:10 AM   #332
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

The National Review is incorrect. It cites the actual Associated Press article that only says the powder found in the envelope was harmless.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 02:35 AM   #333
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
The ISIS flag itself is such a crude insult to Arabic calligraphy. A total mockery.
Whew! We can rule out Obama. What with his madrasa education, I'm sure his calligraphy is flawless; all those nights during Ramadan sitting up and copying prayers for his children.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 02:47 AM   #334
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Well done, you're showing us that you're not the only one in the rightwing that can't read.

What I don't get is why after having the actual AP quote explained to you, your would then post someone else who is making the exact same error as yourself as if it actually would change the original quote, which it entirely clear that it was the powder that was harmless, not the bomb, especially when the make up of the bombs have been released and while they might not have been enough to have caused a fatality, they certainly would not have been harmless had they detonated.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 02:50 AM   #335
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Well done, you're showing us that you're not the only one in the rightwing that can't read.

What I don't get is why after having the actual AP quote explained to you, your would then post someone else who is making the exact same error as yourself as if it actually would change the original quote, which it entirely clear that it was the powder that was harmless, not the bomb, especially when the make up of the bombs have been released and while they might not have been enough to have caused a fatality, they certainly would not have been harmless had they detonated.
My prediction is that this and similar replies will be ignored. The wingnuts will push the narrative that the bombs were harmless, pointing to the National Review article. They rely on the fact that most people won't check the original AP quote. In online discussions they can stall any line of argument with this disinformation, making centrists want for everyone to "agree to disagree".

It's an example of a big lie. Lying even after being confronted with the evidence.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 25th October 2018 at 02:52 AM.
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 02:57 AM   #336
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
My prediction is that this and similar replies will be ignored. The wingnuts will push the narrative that the bombs were harmless, pointing to the National Review article. They rely on the fact that most people won't check the original AP quote. In online discussions they can stall any line of argument with this disinformation, making centrists want for everyone to "agree to disagree".

It's an example of a big lie. Lying even after being confronted with the evidence.
"online discussion" is far too generous a term for what is being posted by this poster.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 02:57 AM   #337
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It could be
No.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 03:23 AM   #338
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I will just say that I hope they catch the guy, and I suspect they will; this does not strike me as some criminal mastermind.

There is nothing so important in this election that killing people is justified to make it happen.

If it turns out to be a conservative I would not be surprised if he was ostracized for being too radical. Perhaps they even had crazy grand notions that pulling this off would put them back in the good graces of normal conservatives.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 03:24 AM   #339
Travis

Breaking: NYPD thinks they have another one, this one possibly directed at Robert DeNiro via his Tribeca Film Org.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 04:11 AM   #340
C_Felix
Master Poster

Keep in mind; there are those who have made up their minds already; in the absence of evidence, that a liberal sent these bombs to make the MAGA crowd look bad.

Granted, there's no real evidence that a MAGA person sent the bombs either....
Old 25th October 2018, 04:12 AM   #341
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Breaking: NYPD thinks they have another one, this one possibly directed at Robert DeNiro via his Tribeca Film Org.
Which gets us

Soros
Obama
Clinton
Holder
Waters x2
Brennan
De Niro

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 04:21 AM   #342
Travis

Fox News has barely covered this at all. But, boy, do we get minute by minute updates on that caravan of hungry Honduras people.

Old 25th October 2018, 04:41 AM   #343
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
No.
People thought the Washington naval yard shooting was terrorism. It wasn't.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 04:51 AM   #344
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently the weird "Git 'er Done" thing is a right wing meme.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KFILE/sta...61848034070529
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 04:57 AM   #345
Travis

Confirmed, another bomb was sent to Joe Biden.

Old 25th October 2018, 05:02 AM   #346
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

are the bombs meant as an invitation to the 2020 Democratic Convention?
Old 25th October 2018, 05:31 AM   #347
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Some people on Twitter have commented that none of the stamps on the envelopes appear to be stamped. And that the postage would have been insufficient anyway for a metal pipe.

Could these have been sent by another service that doesn't use the stamps? Because if not, people are hand-delivering these things and they are appearing simultaneously in places that are far apart. So that would mean multiple people.
Old 25th October 2018, 05:32 AM   #348
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
are the bombs meant as an invitation to the 2020 Democratic Convention?
I hate those novelty mailings. Marketers should really consider plastic waste.
Old 25th October 2018, 05:34 AM   #349
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Some people on Twitter have commented that none of the stamps on the envelopes appear to be stamped. And that the postage would have been insufficient anyway for a metal pipe.

Could these have been sent by another service that doesn't use the stamps? Because if not, people are hand-delivering these things and they are appearing simultaneously in places that are far apart. So that would mean multiple people.
My theory is that, since most recipients were under Secret Service Protection, their packages are automatically processed differently.
Old 25th October 2018, 05:34 AM   #350
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

If you read a report of Yoko Ono getting one of these, please start a separate thread.

That was me.
Old 25th October 2018, 05:37 AM   #351
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

The bombs are the mainstream media's fault, says Trump.

More evidence that they are the enemy of the people, I guess.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 05:40 AM   #352
Drewbot
Philosopher

What are the possibilities?

1. A crazed right winger getting back at all the Dems who have gone after Trump Supporters

2. A Liberal who is trying to make the Trump Supporters look bad by targeting Dems who have targeted Trump.

3. An Isis (or other terrorist group) plot to only scare Dems who have gone after Trump.

4. A non political Crazy person who thought he would throw a wrench in the mid term election frenzy.

3 is a non-starter for me, I think at least one would have blown up if this was the case.
1 and 4, I think at least one would have blown up, or at least been functional.

2 is the only one who would have intentionally sent a non-functional device in my opinion.

Please add other possibilities if I'm leaving any out.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 05:41 AM   #353
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
The bombs are the mainstream media's fault, says Trump.

More evidence that they are the enemy of the people, I guess.
Did he say 'Mainstream Media', or 'Fake News' ?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 05:42 AM   #354
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
If you read a report of Yoko Ono getting one of these, please start a separate thread.

That was me.
You heard her new album eh?
Old 25th October 2018, 05:48 AM   #355
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post

1. A crazed right winger getting back at all the Dems who have gone after Trump Supporters

2. A Liberal who is trying to make the Trump Supporters look bad by targeting Dems who have targeted Trump.

3. An Isis (or other terrorist group) plot to only scare Dems who have gone after Trump.

4. A non political Crazy person who thought he would throw a wrench in the mid term election frenzy.

3 is a non-starter for me, I think at least one would have blown up if this was the case.

2 is the only one who would have intentionally sent a non-functional device in my opinion.

Convenient.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:01 AM   #356
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Be fair.
Yea he only ever advocated shooting political opponents, not bombing them. So we need to look for second amendment solutions to the existence of these trump opponents.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:06 AM   #357
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay I "get" all the Democratic leaders and George Soros. Those have been boogeyman for the far right for years.

But De Niro? That's sort of out of left field. Even if the bomber just wanted an example of a "Hollywood Liberal" on the list, De Niro?
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:07 AM   #358
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post

5. A conservative trying to frame a Liberal for running a false-flag.

Someone envisioning how this would play out in the media could certainly understand how the unexploded aspect would be played to people of your bias.
Old 25th October 2018, 06:07 AM   #359
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Have you heard the party of Law and Order advocating this is nothing? or has the party advocated catching and punishing the perpetrator?
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:08 AM   #360
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

6. A liberal trying to frame a conservative who's trying to frame a liberal for committing a double false flag.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics