ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th April 2019, 10:37 AM   #41
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Your reply wasn't in agreement with anything I'd said.
Well I assumed you disagreed with the bit you quoted from the OP. So I agreed with you by openly disagreeing with The Atheist. What's the problem here?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 10:45 AM   #42
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
It's not the planet that needs saving, it's homo sapiens, but I'm afraid it's too late. I think there's a universal law that "intelligent" civilizations do themselves in, and we're on the wrong side of the turning point. If anyone does visit this planet someday, perhaps they'll find the skeleton of the last human, still clinging to his sticks and bonds.
Teen Age Angst on steroids.
It is amusing how some people seem to take great joy in putting on a act of total despair.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 10:47 AM   #43
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And to the OP: Mind your own damn business. I feel like seeking out some Kiwi Politican and urge them to stand for PM just in retalitation.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 11:30 AM   #44
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well I assumed you disagreed with the bit you quoted from the OP. So I agreed with you by openly disagreeing with The Atheist. What's the problem here?
Ah, no. I was responding to The_Animus's request for elaboration on why it has to be Michelle Obama. There's actually some of elaboration in the OP, and I gave one example. I figure it's up to The_Animus to decide whether or not he agrees with that example (or any of the other elaboration). He's the one that asked for it, after all. I assume he'll want to discuss it now that he knows where to find it. Me? Not so much.

I'd apologize for the confusion, but I don't think I actually caused any. You accidentally read an opinion that wasn't present in my post, is all. Could happen to anyone. No harm, no foul. Carry on!

Last edited by theprestige; 10th April 2019 at 12:00 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 11:38 AM   #45
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

It would give Trump the unique achievement of having beaten not one, but two former First Ladies.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 12:01 PM   #46
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I think is HAS to be a Democrat.

The puss-filled wound that is Donald Trump needs to be excised and cauterised. What the orange bastard has done has to be brought into the light - he has to be exposed to the world for the criminal piece of **** that he is. A Republican will NEVER, EVER to that, they will only be interested in covering it all up and pretending none of it ever happened. (Look up Proclamation 4311, on September 8, 1974). That is what we can expect to see if a Republican other than Trump is elected president.
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Under 35.

and if you think AOC is not intelligent, think again. She is intelligent enough that the Old White Men of the GOP are bloody terrified of her. She is also very savvy, very smart, and has a CRAPLOAD of young people behind her... they are the future of the world, and it will be theirs soon enough.

The world is a changin'; people like Trump, McConnell, Schumer, Nadler, Grassley, Meadows... they will be distant memories, irrelevancies consigned to the bad old days.
I'm one of those Old White Men myself, but I can see what's coming. Our children, our grandchildren and our great-grandchildren will look back at what we did in our tenure as custodians of this planet, and they they will not look upon us kindly for what we have done.

I don't think Michelle Obama as US President is a silly idea. She is eminently more qualified for the job than the steaming pile of criminal excrement currently squatting at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave... for starters, she is actually a member of the human race, which means she would never endorse or allow a policy of dragging children away from their parents and locking them up in cages.
I think your posts might be sillier than the OP. The Old white men(and Women) who are most afraid of her are all in the Democratic party. The GOP loves running against her and desperately hope she is the face of the Dems in the upcoming elections. Also, what makes you think the Dems have any more interest in holding presidents accountable for alleged crimes than the GOP? Have they done so at any time in the last 50 years?

As to the OP, hard to imagine that Michelle O would be any worse than the current occupant but why her? She hasn't shown any interest that I'm aware of nor is she particularly qualified, based on resume alone, less so than the current occupant. I'd guess here political ideas would be similar to her husbands but that is just a high probability guess. I am really curious why anyone would think she is the "one" that can save us.

Last edited by ahhell; 10th April 2019 at 12:03 PM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 12:48 PM   #47
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
As to the OP, hard to imagine that Michelle O would be any worse than the current occupant but why her? She hasn't shown any interest that I'm aware of nor is she particularly qualified, based on resume alone, less so than the current occupant. I'd guess here political ideas would be similar to her husbands but that is just a high probability guess. I am really curious why anyone would think she is the "one" that can save us.
It's hard to avoid the suspicion that it's partly a desire to do an end run around the two term limit on the Presidency. Enough with the dynasties, already.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 01:22 PM   #48
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Some people here should really go for information about US Politics to more sources then trendy left wing pages.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th April 2019, 01:30 PM   #49
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Mrs Obama has said she isn't the least bit interested in running for political office of any sort let alone the presidency. And she is a woman of her word. So it doesn't matter if you think she is the ultimate saviour or the ultimate joke. Ain't gonna happen. Pick on someone else.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 05:49 PM   #50
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
We might be able to pull off the road for awhile, but we're on a one-way trip on the highway to hell.
Yeah, I agree with that, which is why I put quotation marks over the save.

I think she - or another very good president can mitigate the change a little.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
What does a former first lady have to do with... literally anything that's happening right now?
She's enormously popular and has empathy for everyday people.

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
Yes. and many think we have several good candidates running. Would you care to elaborate as to why she is the only one who can save us?
I've looked at the field as it stands right now; I've looked at other potential candidates; I don't see any of them beating Trump.

And it's very clear that you see her as a messiah figure.
I can't help you with your comprehension skills, sorry.

Also, you may have inadvertently put your real name in the OP. Was that intentional?
Of course it was deliberate.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Now I understand why Aussies are always complaing about Kiwis having a moral superiourity complex,thinking themselves superior to everybody else.
Not think, know. NZ has always been superior in every aspect of human rights - to Australia and almost every other country on the planet.

What year did Australia, USA & Canada enfranchise non-whites? What year did you all allow women the vote? Which country provided the highest percentage of its population to WWI? Which country has had three female Prime Ministers? Which country had the first openly transgender member of parliament? Which countries currently have a self-confessed agnostic as leader?

And to the OP: Mind your own damn business. I feel like seeking out some Kiwi Politican and urge them to stand for PM just in retalitation.
Haha! Be my guest - the National (conservative) Party would love to find someone who is 1/50th as popular as our current PM.
Old 10th April 2019, 05:52 PM   #51
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I think your posts might be sillier than the OP. The Old white men(and Women) who are most afraid of her are all in the Democratic party. The GOP loves running against her and desperately hope she is the face of the Dems in the upcoming elections.
No, no, we're terrified that she will be the secret weapon that finally results in everybody voting for the Democrats. She's bright, she's young, she has a deep understanding of economics and politics, and she connects with young people. She seems destined to be a two-term president (possibly more if we repeal that amendment), and a Nobel prize winner in three categories (peace, economics and meteorology). Not only that but her daughter will probably find a cure for cancer.

Or, as Br'er Rabbit said, "Please don't throw me in the briar patch!"
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 06:14 PM   #52
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
She's enormously popular and has empathy for everyday people.
That might work in New Zealand, but not here. Americans consider empathy to be a weakness, not a strength.

I hope Michelle Obama stays out of politics because it would only hurt her. But that's just my empathy speaking - which proves I am not a real American. Real Americans think she's a man.
Old 10th April 2019, 06:32 PM   #53
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Is this Michell Obama relate to Barack Obama? His brother?
No, you missed the e on the person to whom you referred: Michelle Obama.
Also, I am pretty sure you meant related rather than relate
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 06:35 PM   #54
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
That might work in New Zealand, but not here. Americans consider empathy to be a weakness, not a strength.
Empathy is appreciated even in America. But there's no evidence at all that Michelle Obama has any.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 07:04 PM   #55
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Real Americans think she's a man.
If that's true, she'd be in the best-looking 3 or 4 guys I've ever seen.

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
No, you missed the e on the person to whom you referred: Michelle Obama.
That was before the thread title was edited. I left the E out.

Empathy is appreciated even in America. But there's no evidence at all that Michelle Obama has any.
Amazing what you don't see with your eyes shut. Or looking the other way.
Old 10th April 2019, 10:49 PM   #56
Minoosh
Philosopher

She hasn't shown any interest that I'm aware of nor is she particularly qualified, based on resume alone, less so than the current occupant.
How do you figure?

Last edited by Minoosh; 10th April 2019 at 10:50 PM.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 11:23 PM   #57
Venom
Master Poster

She hasn't shown any interest that I'm aware of nor is she particularly qualified, based on resume alone, less so than the current occupant.
Ha!

Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 12:07 AM   #58
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 03:40 AM   #59
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I agree she would make a decent president.

And she has the double whammy of bringing with her a partner who has been one and knows the ins and outs, and has her own personal experience as partner of one.

Just don't get why Atheist seems to imply it has to be a woman to fix the orange idiots mess.

Doesn't even have to be a democrat
Is she eligible, wasn't she born a male Muslim in Nigeria.....

Might as well start the ball rolling....
Old 11th April 2019, 04:03 AM   #60
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Mrs Obama has said she isn't the least bit interested in running for political office of any sort let alone the presidency. And she is a woman of her word. So it doesn't matter if you think she is the ultimate saviour or the ultimate joke. Ain't gonna happen. Pick on someone else.
And if anything, I strongly suspect that her time as First Lady has only reinforced her decision to stay out of politics. Even putting aside the racist crap the current president spewed towards her husband, there were all of the ridiculous attacks on both her, and especially her daughters that she was clearly disgusted by.

Yes, I've seen the candidates the dems currently have. I see a number of candidates with good ideas, who are both willing and fully capable of being highly effective *if* we can also keep the house and retake the senate - it's also clear that the GOP is broken, and has little to go for it apart from handing money to the already wealthy, bigotry, and screaming about how horrible anything the dems try to do will be. Which isn't to say that Mango Mussolini can't win another term, since that's apparently enough for many people. But dems are best off with someone who stepped up already prepared, than with someone who wants nothing to do with it.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:09 AM   #61
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
It's hard to avoid the suspicion that it's partly a desire to do an end run around the two term limit on the Presidency. Enough with the dynasties, already.
Do you think it was a similar desire for Hillary and Bush junior?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 04:10 AM   #62
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I've looked at the field as it stands right now; I've looked at other potential candidates; I don't see any of them beating Trump.
If the electorate cared about the truth more than about what they want to hear, a magic 8-ball could beat Trump.

Old 11th April 2019, 04:12 AM   #63
Belz...
Fiend God

"Ok, how could I responde to that with a partisan statement?"

Old 11th April 2019, 04:36 AM   #64
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post

b) Cortez seems like a nice person, but she was a bit late to the queing when they were handing out intelligence
I actually think it's the other way round: She's highly intelligent, but divisive rather than nice.
Old 11th April 2019, 04:40 AM   #65
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The idea of another dynasty presidency makes me sick. I'm just exhausted with the spouses or children of successful politicians gliding into positions of power solely on the residual popularity.

Michelle Obama seems like a swell lady. She has never held political office in her own right and has only served in a supporting role for another. She is, simply put, totally unqualified for such a high office. Maybe she should run for a lower office and generate a public identity besides "Obama's wife". Comparing her to AOC is an insult to AOC, who, you know, actually ran a winning political campaign on her own merits.
[/thread]
Old 11th April 2019, 07:17 AM   #66
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
How do you figure?
Being the first lady doesn't qualify you for anything other than event planning. Other than that, she was on the board of a non-profit and teacher I think. So, really not much of a resume that I'm aware. He had actually done stuff. Sure, he's willfully ignorant and an ******* but that doesn't generally get written on a resume. He lost me at the interview but I don't really see much reason to give her the interview in the first place.

Edit to add, don't get me wrong, I'd vote for her over Trump, its just she isn't actually qualified for the job. That was not meant as an endorsement of his orangeness.

Last edited by ahhell; 11th April 2019 at 07:31 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 07:18 AM   #67
Belz...
Fiend God

He had actually done stuff.
Who, Trump? He hasn't done much by himself, other than failures, and he has no public experience.

Old 11th April 2019, 07:52 AM   #68
angrysoba
Philosophile

I had surgery once. I suppose if the surgeon hadnít been there then I could have got his wife to do it. Thatís the same thing, right?

Or maybe we really have discovered how little the person in the Oval Office really matters. We have the Orange buffoon there now and the sky hasnít fallen. If he can do it then maybe the job really did require such a low level of expertise that you can literally put someoneís spouse in charge and expect no worse results. The corrollary is that you canít expect the president to save the world or much else I suppose.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 08:01 AM   #69
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I had surgery once. I suppose if the surgeon hadnít been there then I could have got his wife to do it. Thatís the same thing, right?

Or maybe we really have discovered how little the person in the Oval Office really matters. We have the Orange buffoon there now and the sky hasnít fallen. If he can do it then maybe the job really did require such a low level of expertise that you can literally put someoneís spouse in charge and expect no worse results. The corrollary is that you canít expect the president to save the world or much else I suppose.
Maybe the separate branch isn't needed? We don't have it in parliamentary systems, after all.

Old 11th April 2019, 08:19 AM   #70
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Do you think it was a similar desire for Hillary and Bush junior?
Yes with Hillary, not so much with Bush Jr since his dad wouldn't be literally living in the White House, but still some dynastic appeal I didn't like, and I was quite happy to see Jeb crater.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 08:32 AM   #71
carlitos
"mŠs divertido"

Only she has the prestige, be we have theprestige.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 08:44 AM   #72
ahhell
Master Poster

You'd have to reach out to the spouse of a Kiwi politician for the analogy to work.
Old 11th April 2019, 08:49 AM   #73
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"Ok, how could I responde to that with a partisan statement?" : rolleyes :
Rolleyes indeed. I replied to a bigoted statement in the spirit in which it was offered. But that bigotry didn't trigger you at all.
Old 11th April 2019, 02:10 PM   #74
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

If the electorate cared about the truth more than about what they want to hear, a magic 8-ball could beat Trump.
A magic 8-ball?

If the electorate cared about anything, a freshly steaming pile of infected vomit would beat him.

You'd have to reach out to the spouse of a Kiwi politician for the analogy to work.
Haha! That's pretty good, but it falls apart when the by light-years the best-known and highest-profile spouse of a politician in this country is our First Bloke, Jacinda's man.

He's a popular fishing show host and broadcaster. I'd say if you asked a random 100 Kiwis to name a politician's spouse, 99 of them would answer Clark Gayford.
Old 11th April 2019, 03:26 PM   #75
angrysoba
Philosophile

Dupe
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

Last edited by angrysoba; 11th April 2019 at 03:29 PM.
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 03:28 PM   #76
angrysoba
Philosophile

Maybe the separate branch isn't needed? We don't have it in parliamentary systems, after all.
Thatís certainly one reason for the limits to any presidentís influence, yes. The two branches of government meant to check the executive.

Old 11th April 2019, 05:23 PM   #77
Minoosh
Philosopher

Being the first lady doesn't qualify you for anything other than event planning.
Which, in a way, a lot of life is about.

Other than that, she was on the board of a non-profit and teacher I think. So, really not much of a resume that I'm aware.
Somehow you slidie right over her law degree from Harvard and work as an attorney.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 08:19 PM   #78
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Which, in a way, a lot of life is about.
Not if you're doing it right. Very little of my life is about event planning.
Old 12th April 2019, 12:17 AM   #79
angrysoba
Philosophile

Not if you're doing it right. Very little of my life is about event planning.
In Russia, event plan you.

Old 12th April 2019, 08:01 AM   #80
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
In Russia, event plan you.
The first step to doing it right is, "don't be in Russia".

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics