ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Ilhan Omar , immigration issues , racism incidents , racism issues , Trump controversies

Reply
Old 20th July 2019, 06:24 PM   #361
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3,363
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
IMHO, approximately the rural % of the US population. Also, super off-topic.
Agreed.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 06:24 PM   #362
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 83,714
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Guys can we spin off the "Proportional / Direct representation" debate to another thread or at least tie it back into the topic?

Endless hijacks away from the topic aren't better when we do it.
I don't know if you noticed but our resident conservatives have for now high tailed it out of here. I guess even they didn't find their own denials very convincing.

But fine. I guess I shouldn't address claims made in a thread if they're not on topic. It's fine if the other poster makes the claims, however.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 07:25 PM   #363
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,943
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
You do understand that this is what the Senate and EC were supposed to address, correct?
I don't understand that. In the late 18th century, the country was pretty much rural. In 1776, Philadelphia was the largest city (with a population under 50,000). The Senate was a concession granted to small states, one Madison regarded as a defeat for his nationalist vision.

Nobody really knew what the hell they were doing with the Electoral College, which was reflected in the 12th Amendment. We are projected to see 70% of the population residing in 15 states. So, 70% of the population gets 30% of the vote. Hell, California and Texas are projected to have a quarter of the population, but they'll only get 4% of the Senate.

The result is essentially vote inflation for rural white voters. Super white Wyoming balances out Hispanic California. Even if this were intended -- and it wasn't -- it's morally unjustifiable.

When the Articles of Confederation became untenable, the Founders met in secret to have it thrown out (despite that it was supposed to forge a "perpetual Union" and amendments needed unanimous consent). Little Rhode Island is the only state that subjected the Constitution to a popular referendum (voters overwhelmingly rejected it).
__________________
April 13th, 2018:
Ranb: I can't think of anything useful you contributed to a thread in the last few years.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 07:50 PM   #364
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 24,282
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I don't understand that. In the late 18th century, the country was pretty much rural. In 1776, Philadelphia was the largest city (with a population under 50,000). The Senate was a concession granted to small states, one Madison regarded as a defeat for his nationalist vision.

Nobody really knew what the hell they were doing with the Electoral College, which was reflected in the 12th Amendment. We are projected to see 70% of the population residing in 15 states. So, 70% of the population gets 30% of the vote. Hell, California and Texas are projected to have a quarter of the population, but they'll only get 4% of the Senate.

The result is essentially vote inflation for rural white voters. Super white Wyoming balances out Hispanic California. Even if this were intended -- and it wasn't -- it's morally unjustifiable.

When the Articles of Confederation became untenable, the Founders met in secret to have it thrown out (despite that it was supposed to forge a "perpetual Union" and amendments needed unanimous consent). Little Rhode Island is the only state that subjected the Constitution to a popular referendum (voters overwhelmingly rejected it).
Certainly the unequal representation works in favor of rural voters in the Senate, and to some extent in the House, but not quite the same in the EC. While it's true that the number of voters in a bloc is unequal, the anomalous result can be the opposite. If a small state has only a small number of electoral votes, it's true that the weight of individual votes in each electoral vote is greater, but because those votes are bundled, the entire state's vote can be nullified by a vote in one urban district, which is why the electoral and popular votes can differ so. A state like Vermont might support candidate A by 9 to 1, but its 3 electoral votes can be cancelled if one district in Florida supports candidate B even by the slimmest plurality.

In theory, of course, if the contest were nearly even, and if the distribution of votes were also fairly even, a small state could make a difference, and if it did, that difference would be disproportionately large, but in practice, I don't think it likely. In national elections, despite what appears like gross over-representation, a vote in Vermont is only symbolic.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 08:25 PM   #365
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,191
I think the issue of proportional representation deserves a thread of its own, and I hope a mod can look at this and sort the various posts out accordingly.

However, at the risk of further derailing this thread (and in anticipation that a mod will create a new thread) I wanted to put this idea for a proportionally represented US Senate.

I know its not perfect, but its a start, and I have tried to keep it uncomplicated.

Criteria
1. All States shall be entitled to at least one Seat in the Senate. This Seat is the Minimum Representation (MR) Seat.
2. A State will be required to have a total population of 1.5% of the National population in order to be entitled to additional Population Based Representation (PBR) Seats
3. The Percentage population is rounded up or down to the nearest whole percentage point to determine the number of PBR Seats.
4. Under most circumstances, this will result in a Senate of more than 100 Seats. If required, this can be corrected back to 100 by adjusting the divisor downwards until the resulting Senate is exactly 100 Seats. This will result in some States not being allocated one of their PBR Seats due to their population percentage being marginal.

Example


This one results in 109 Senate seats. If you want to reduce the number of Seats to 100, but keep it near proportional, then reducing the divisor from 100 to 89 will do the job, but nine states will not be allocated one of their PBR seats.

California
Texas
New York
Pennsylvania
Illinois
Ohio
New Jersey
Virginia
South Carolina

As I said, its not perfect, but it would be a fairer and more representative system than the current one, which grossly over-represents lower populated states, and grossly under represents higher populated states.

NOTE: I anticipate there will be all sorts of objections that the US Constitution says it can't be done because of this or that or the next thing. To those arguments, I would reply that the US Constitution is a living document, as evidenced by its 27 ratified Amendments. Indeed, the way Senators are elected was changed by the 17th amendment in 1913.

I would also argue that the US Constitution doesn't mean much in a country where the president routinely ignores it for his own personal and political purposes.

I also anticipate arguments from some that the system isn't broken and doesn't need fixing. To those people I say, you have not been paying attention.
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore - if they're white!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 08:29 PM   #366
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 50,169
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
However, at the risk of further derailing this thread (and in anticipation that a mod will create a new thread) I wanted to put this idea for a proportionally represented US Senate.
If you're doing this much of an overhaul, why not toss DC a bone and give them a senator, too? Their population is higher than the bottom two states.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 08:30 PM   #367
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,191
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
If you're doing this much of an overhaul, why not toss DC a bone and give them a senator, too? Their population is higher than the bottom two states.
Fair call, and Puerto Rico?
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore - if they're white!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 08:34 PM   #368
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,308
Back on topic, however briefly - the defenses offers in this thread are outstandingly pathetic. I think even those defenders realize this and have slunk away.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 08:34 PM   #369
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 50,169
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Fair call, and Puerto Rico?
I lost track, did they want to become a state or not? There are the other territories as well.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 08:39 PM   #370
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 36,793
These proposals to change the makeup of the Senate are Darth Vader tier crap.

States joined the union in part because the Senate guaranteed them an equal say in the administration of the union.

Now the citizens of some states wish to change the the makeup of the Senate, in order to impose their will on the citizens of the other states.

"I have altered the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further."
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 09:11 PM   #371
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,111
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'm sure rural Americans having essentially no representation on the Federal level would be quite ok for you, but not for them. You do understand that this is what the Senate and EC were supposed to address, correct?
Where has anyone said to give some people No Representation. You do know what proportional means, I assume. The problem with the proportional portions of the current system is that they're not proportional at all, other than in name. The Senate is pretty clear. Everyone (with "one" meaning "state") gets two of 'em. It ain't proportional, though, and wasn't intended to be.

The House, and thus the Electoral College are supposed to be proportional according to the design, but they aren't. The chief reasons for this being the intentionally not-proportional Senators each being counted in the Electoral College allotment for a state, and the ceiling on Members being set at 438 back when the population of the country was less than a quarter of what it is currently. The Great White North has about 1/10th the US population and 338 seats in Parliament!
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 09:16 PM   #372
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,111
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Those two twits are saying opposite things.
The point that needs to be repeated is that the person he's retweeting and in whose support he's wallowing is generally tied for first in the UK vote for "Who's the Most Xenophobic Bigot in the Country". Some polls she finishes in first. But then Tommy Robinson will get into the news for a few days and he wins the next poll.

That's some fine company... Katie and Tommy... and Trump!
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 09:29 PM   #373
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,111
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Willem Van Spronsen. His attack was all over the news, didn't you see it? And his manifesto justifying his attack specifically referred to CBP facilities as "concentration camps", which is terminology that AOC helped push.
This. Is. Pathetic.

Personally, I think he's a Travis follower (Travis called 'em concentration camps in a thread starter in November, last year.)
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 09:38 PM   #374
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,943
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
These proposals to change the makeup of the Senate are Darth Vader tier crap.

States joined the union in part because the Senate guaranteed them an equal say in the administration of the union.

Now the citizens of some states wish to change the the makeup of the Senate, in order to impose their will on the citizens of the other states.

"I have altered the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further."
States also entered the Union on the condition they got to keep their slaves. And, of course, nobody from the Independence era is still alive, so the people currently affected did not consent to the current state of affairs.

The citizens of other states unfairly impose their will on me by non-democratic, non-representative means. That is wrong, and it should be changed.
__________________
April 13th, 2018:
Ranb: I can't think of anything useful you contributed to a thread in the last few years.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 09:42 PM   #375
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,943
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This one results in 109 Senate seats. If you want to reduce the number of Seats to 100, but keep it near proportional, then reducing the divisor from 100 to 89 will do the job, but nine states will not be allocated one of their PBR seats.
Keeping it near 100 is an example of anchoring bias. In reality, it should just be abolished. Keeping membership low results in states with twice as many people getting the same number of votes. Indeed, our House of Representatives is insufficiently representative, and not just because of gerrymandering. We have been capped at 435. Meanwhile, England has approximately one-sixth our population, and 650 representatives. France has almost 600.
__________________
April 13th, 2018:
Ranb: I can't think of anything useful you contributed to a thread in the last few years.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 09:43 PM   #376
I Am The Scum
Illuminator
 
I Am The Scum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,987
Hey, remember that time when we ignored the right-wing distractions for like a full day? That was pretty cool.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 09:46 PM   #377
I Am The Scum
Illuminator
 
I Am The Scum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,987
To bring this thread back on track, here's a story about a gas station attendant who got fired after telling some POC customers to go back to their country.

For those keeping score, this means that a gas station attendant his held to a higher standard than the president.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 09:49 PM   #378
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,943
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Certainly the unequal representation works in favor of rural voters in the Senate, and to some extent in the House, but not quite the same in the EC. While it's true that the number of voters in a bloc is unequal, the anomalous result can be the opposite. If a small state has only a small number of electoral votes, it's true that the weight of individual votes in each electoral vote is greater, but because those votes are bundled, the entire state's vote can be nullified by a vote in one urban district, which is why the electoral and popular votes can differ so. A state like Vermont might support candidate A by 9 to 1, but its 3 electoral votes can be cancelled if one district in Florida supports candidate B even by the slimmest plurality.

In theory, of course, if the contest were nearly even, and if the distribution of votes were also fairly even, a small state could make a difference, and if it did, that difference would be disproportionately large, but in practice, I don't think it likely. In national elections, despite what appears like gross over-representation, a vote in Vermont is only symbolic.
All individual votes are symbolic, even in states where the elections are close. In the EC, small states are like points scored in the first half of a basketball game: They only seem to matter if the end is tight. The EC benefits large swing states. However, a select few small rural states can have an outsized influence in the primary process, but that's primarily due to the parties, especially the Democratic Party, rather than than the Constitution.
__________________
April 13th, 2018:
Ranb: I can't think of anything useful you contributed to a thread in the last few years.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 10:01 PM   #379
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,191
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Keeping it near 100 is an example of anchoring bias. In reality, it should just be abolished. Keeping membership low results in states with twice as many people getting the same number of votes. Indeed, our House of Representatives is insufficiently representative, and not just because of gerrymandering. We have been capped at 435. Meanwhile, England has approximately one-sixth our population, and 650 representatives. France has almost 600.
Well that is why I said it was an option. I wasn't sure if there were some hard and fast rule that it had to be exactly 100

Oh, and we have a population of less than five million; our Parliament has ~120 seats.
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore - if they're white!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 10:01 PM   #380
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 75,021
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Or I'm illustrating what WOULD likely happen.
So liberals can have "no" representation, that's OK?

You don't seem to be acknowledging it's one or the other, can't be both.


Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well clearly you don't quite understand the arguments in favour of it. Which, by the way, does not require you to agree with the EC.
I understand perfectly. When people don't agree with you it doesn't mean they don't understand.

I'm underrepresented, it pisses me off and it's one reason we got the Iraq war and Trump.

You're not even from here, you are arguing the EC gives rural population more representation (d'uh) like that's a good thing, no it isn't. Living in Wyoming should not give someone over-representation.

The EC is outdated and needs to change. It has gotten much too far out of proportion.

Quote:
Again, I never said or implied this.
I repeat YOUR QUOTE: You said "rural Americans having essentially no representation on the Federal level"."

That is not me saying you suggested it. It's you claiming if the rest of us got fair representation rural areas would get none.
__________________
That new avatar is cuteness overload.
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 10:04 PM   #381
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,191
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
These proposals to change the makeup of the Senate are Darth Vader tier crap.

States joined the union in part because the Senate guaranteed them an equal say in the administration of the union.

Now the citizens of some states wish to change the the makeup of the Senate, in order to impose their will on the citizens of the other states.

"I have altered the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further."
Well geewhiz. The way your Senators are elected was changed is 1913. The deal has already been changed since 1776.


PS: There is a reason why the US Democratic System is considered to be a flawed one!
https://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...awed-democracy
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore - if they're white!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 20th July 2019 at 10:05 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 10:04 PM   #382
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 75,021
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
...
But I guess I shouldn't expect much from someone who thinks 4>2 is a statement that should be demonstrated.
Can't you stop insulting people and talk about the facts instead?
__________________
That new avatar is cuteness overload.
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 10:06 PM   #383
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 75,021
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
If you're doing this much of an overhaul, why not toss DC a bone and give them a senator, too? Their population is higher than the bottom two states.
__________________
That new avatar is cuteness overload.
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 10:07 PM   #384
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 75,021
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Fair call, and Puerto Rico?
__________________
That new avatar is cuteness overload.
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 10:08 PM   #385
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 75,021
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
This. Is. Pathetic.

Personally, I think he's a Travis follower (Travis called 'em concentration camps in a thread starter in November, last year.)
Touché.
__________________
That new avatar is cuteness overload.
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 10:10 PM   #386
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 75,021
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
States also entered the Union on the condition they got to keep their slaves. And, of course, nobody from the Independence era is still alive, so the people currently affected did not consent to the current state of affairs.

The citizens of other states unfairly impose their will on me by non-democratic, non-representative means. That is wrong, and it should be changed.
A serious post by Cain and it's a good one.
__________________
That new avatar is cuteness overload.
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 10:11 PM   #387
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 75,021
Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Hey, remember that time when we ignored the right-wing distractions for like a full day? That was pretty cool.


This is my favorite thread today.
__________________
That new avatar is cuteness overload.
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 10:13 PM   #388
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 24,282
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
These proposals to change the makeup of the Senate are Darth Vader tier crap.

States joined the union in part because the Senate guaranteed them an equal say in the administration of the union.

Now the citizens of some states wish to change the the makeup of the Senate, in order to impose their will on the citizens of the other states.

"I have altered the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further."
The states also joined the union with a constitution that has a built-in process for change. A change in the makeup of the senate would require that process, which is not exactly new and surprising. In fact, I think one could find evidence that it's been used before.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 10:20 PM   #389
autumn1971
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,798
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
The states also joined the union with a constitution that has a built-in process for change. A change in the makeup of the senate would require that process, which is not exactly new and surprising. In fact, I think one could find evidence that it's been used before.
But.... her e-mails?
__________________
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 10:30 PM   #390
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,111
Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Hey, remember that time when we ignored the right-wing distractions for like a full day? That was pretty cool.
That day was in November of 2016. Remember what happened while we were playing Dungeons and Dragons vowing not to be distracted by the two "just about equal" candidates?

Don't ignore them; take 'em down. Watching the two most dedicated interference runners try to excuse abject bigotry - in their party's President and in their fellow conservatives - is a joy to behold.

Ridiculing their total loss of credibility and their feeble attempts at bull feces intellectualism is a duty, not necessarily a pleasant one, but hey, they want people who "tell it like it is", so they're only fulfilling their own bucket lists.

This Is Like It Is... attempts to distract with petty rhetorical nitpicks are not working. In the past fifteen days, the other shoe has dropped. Trump is so desperate to get re-elected that he's gone full bore White Nationalist. Stevie The Creep is whispering sweet nothings in his ear and he really believes that he can tap into an even more bigoted and more deplorable base of "patriots". It will fail but it might rip the country apart while failing.

It's time for the lying conservatives to simply own up. They want the scumbag as leader because they see nothing wrong with bigotry, fostering hatred and fear, and think their little nest egg is more important than basic decency.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 10:48 PM   #391
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 25,168
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I think the issue of proportional representation deserves a thread of its own, and I hope a mod can look at this and sort the various posts out accordingly.

However, at the risk of further derailing this thread (and in anticipation that a mod will create a new thread) I wanted to put this idea for a proportionally represented US Senate.

I know its not perfect, but its a start, and I have tried to keep it uncomplicated.

Criteria
1. All States shall be entitled to at least one Seat in the Senate. This Seat is the Minimum Representation (MR) Seat.
2. A State will be required to have a total population of 1.5% of the National population in order to be entitled to additional Population Based Representation (PBR) Seats
3. The Percentage population is rounded up or down to the nearest whole percentage point to determine the number of PBR Seats.
4. Under most circumstances, this will result in a Senate of more than 100 Seats. If required, this can be corrected back to 100 by adjusting the divisor downwards until the resulting Senate is exactly 100 Seats. This will result in some States not being allocated one of their PBR Seats due to their population percentage being marginal.

Example


This one results in 109 Senate seats. If you want to reduce the number of Seats to 100, but keep it near proportional, then reducing the divisor from 100 to 89 will do the job, but nine states will not be allocated one of their PBR seats.

California
Texas
New York
Pennsylvania
Illinois
Ohio
New Jersey
Virginia
South Carolina

As I said, its not perfect, but it would be a fairer and more representative system than the current one, which grossly over-represents lower populated states, and grossly under represents higher populated states.

NOTE: I anticipate there will be all sorts of objections that the US Constitution says it can't be done because of this or that or the next thing. To those arguments, I would reply that the US Constitution is a living document, as evidenced by its 27 ratified Amendments. Indeed, the way Senators are elected was changed by the 17th amendment in 1913.

I would also argue that the US Constitution doesn't mean much in a country where the president routinely ignores it for his own personal and political purposes.

I also anticipate arguments from some that the system isn't broken and doesn't need fixing. To those people I say, you have not been paying attention.
It won’t be agreed to because three quarters of states have to agree to an amendment, and according to your proposal at least half of the states would need to vote to reduce their influence by at minimum a while senate seat, and in more cases, they will have proportionately fewer seats than the big states. Also, prior to that, both houses of Congress need to pass the amendment by two thirds majority meaning you would be asking a ton of Senators to make themselves either redundant or relatively impotent. It beggars belief that they would summon enough idealistic altruism and courage to face down the lobby groups in whose pockets they reside in order to create a “more perfect union”.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 10:55 PM   #392
I Am The Scum
Illuminator
 
I Am The Scum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,987
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
That day was in November of 2016. Remember what happened while we were playing Dungeons and Dragons vowing not to be distracted by the two "just about equal" candidates?

Don't ignore them; take 'em down. Watching the two most dedicated interference runners try to excuse abject bigotry - in their party's President and in their fellow conservatives - is a joy to behold.

Ridiculing their total loss of credibility and their feeble attempts at bull feces intellectualism is a duty, not necessarily a pleasant one, but hey, they want people who "tell it like it is", so they're only fulfilling their own bucket lists.

This Is Like It Is... attempts to distract with petty rhetorical nitpicks are not working. In the past fifteen days, the other shoe has dropped. Trump is so desperate to get re-elected that he's gone full bore White Nationalist. Stevie The Creep is whispering sweet nothings in his ear and he really believes that he can tap into an even more bigoted and more deplorable base of "patriots". It will fail but it might rip the country apart while failing.

It's time for the lying conservatives to simply own up. They want the scumbag as leader because they see nothing wrong with bigotry, fostering hatred and fear, and think their little nest egg is more important than basic decency.
You're badly misunderstanding my point. There are some issues we should be paying attention to (the actual topic of this thread, for instance). However, it is a guarantee that Trump supporters, argumentatively deficient, will distract with accusations of terrorism or a side-topic of draconian political systems.

And we fall for it every time.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 11:00 PM   #393
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 25,168
True. Trump has shown that he is a morally backward opportunist. He clearly loves his crowd’s behavior and will have no problem if it gets even more out of hand. In fact, he’ll keep stoking it. At heart he is an authoritarian demagogue. I even think he is too unprincipled to be a fascist.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 11:23 PM   #394
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,111
Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
You're badly misunderstanding my point. There are some issues we should be paying attention to (the actual topic of this thread, for instance). However, it is a guarantee that Trump supporters, argumentatively deficient, will distract with accusations of terrorism or a side-topic of draconian political systems.

And we fall for it every time.
We've had these discussions on these boards like eleventy-seven dozen times. There's ignoring and then there's ignoring. I think I'm with you, but we have to clarify which ignoring we're talking about. Ignore their distractions and continue the discussion while calling out the fact that they "Look, Squirrel!" and "Whataboutism" and "Abject Pedantry/Sealioning" are distractions? Sure. Ignoring them by changing letting them have their say with no one taking them down? No.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2019, 02:19 AM   #395
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 21,104
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
These proposals to change the makeup of the Senate are Darth Vader tier crap.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, but it sounds bad - do you want some smelling salts?

Quote:

States joined the union in part because the Senate guaranteed them an equal say in the administration of the union.
States aren't people. They made no decisions. Interested groups of people within the states made the decision at a time when they were allowed to own other people.


Quote:
Now the citizens of some states wish to change the the makeup of the Senate, in order to impose their will on the citizens of the other states.

"I have altered the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further."

Now some of the citizens of some states want to preserve an obviously unjust system that allows them far more influence than would be their fair share. Obviously in any representative democracy, this will happen to a certain extent - even with a proportional system, but measures can be taken to alleviate this.

Now I can think of worse systems for allocating seats in an upper house of a bicameral system. Hereditary seats, or those allocated by patronage spring to mind. However, you should aim to be better than the UK.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2019, 02:22 AM   #396
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator
 
Red Baron Farms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,814
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I don't know if you noticed but our resident conservatives have for now high tailed it out of here.
Wrong. Still here, but still waiting for intelligent discussion to comment on. So far all I see is two entrenched sides talking past one another.
__________________
Scott
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2019, 02:44 AM   #397
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 83,714
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Where has anyone said to give some people No Representation.
My use of "essentially" should be a hint that it's not actually zero. And I've not said, anywhere, that someone has suggested this as the desired result. I don't know why it was interpreted that way. What I'm saying is that several states, with definitely rural considerations, would see their concerns ignored, most of the time.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2019, 02:50 AM   #398
Cavemonster
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,510
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
These proposals to change the makeup of the Senate are Darth Vader tier crap.

States joined the union in part because the Senate guaranteed them an equal say in the administration of the union.

Now the citizens of some states wish to change the the makeup of the Senate, in order to impose their will on the citizens of the other states.

"I have altered the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further."
This line of thinking seems to lead to the conclusion that constitutional amendments are evil.

Laws change, the way our government works changes. "The deal" can be altered in a manner set forth in that constitution every state agreed to. The original deal allowed for all sorts of things we now find abhorrent.
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2019, 02:55 AM   #399
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator
 
Roger Ramjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,098
Originally Posted by Travis
Because it was never about immigrants being legal or illegal. It was about them being immigrants that are not white.
Deplorable.

But not a bad thing. We all knew they were thinking this, it just took Trump to coax it out of them. And now they can't deny it.

And even better, republicans have to keep supporting him!
__________________
We don't want good, sound arguments. We want arguments that sound good.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2019, 02:58 AM   #400
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 83,714
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So liberals can have "no" representation, that's OK?
...what? Where did I say it was ok or desirable? There's a difference between describing something and putting a moral value on it.

Quote:
I understand perfectly. When people don't agree with you it doesn't mean they don't understand.
This is just a platitude. I told you why I don't think you understand it. Stop twisting my words.

Quote:
I'm underrepresented, it pisses me off and it's one reason we got the Iraq war and Trump.
Then do something about it. That's what was suggested to me about the reverse problem.

Quote:
You're not even from here
Wow. "Send him back!", eh?

Quote:
you are arguing the EC gives rural population more representation (d'uh) like that's a good thing
I didn't say the EC was a good thing. I said that there are benefits to it, just like there are downsides. I literally said that.

Quote:
The EC is outdated and needs to change. It has gotten much too far out of proportion.
That's probably true. It does not follow from that that there are no benefits from it, however.

Quote:
I repeat YOUR QUOTE: You said "rural Americans having essentially no representation on the Federal level"."

That is not me saying you suggested it. It's you claiming if the rest of us got fair representation rural areas would get none.
No, that's not that at all. Why not quote me in full and in context? I clearly said, more than once now, that rural states would have essentially no voice in the shaping of US federal policies if it were directly proportional. So far no one has addressed this except to call 4>2 speculation.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Can't you stop insulting people and talk about the facts instead?
It IS a fact. Oracle has said this directly. If it's insulting to point out a fact, that's no my problem.

You want to talk about facts? How about you address the ones I've mentioned rather than focus on your strawman and tone policing?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:14 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.