ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Ilhan Omar , immigration issues , racism incidents , racism issues , Trump controversies

Old 19th July 2019, 05:19 AM   #161
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Please listen to Upchurch.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 05:20 AM   #162
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Lots of people ignored it when a CNN reporter told Sebastian Gorka to "go home".
So?

Do you think someone else being a hypocrite absolves Trump? Or you? Or means... literally anything at all?

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 19th July 2019 at 05:22 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 05:21 AM   #163
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Please listen to Upchurch.
No. Ignoring Trump supporters is how we got Trump.

We can ignore the trolls when they can't then go vote. Until then we ignore them at our own peril.

Don't like it? Ignore me not ignoring them.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 05:22 AM   #164
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So?

Do you think someone else being a hypocrite absolves?
No. I'm just trying to find out who is a hypocrite. smartcooky has indicated he's not. It isn't exactly difficult. Or it shouldn't be, though some still seem to struggle with it.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 05:31 AM   #165
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

No. I'm just trying to find out who is a hypocrite. smartcooky has indicated he's not. It isn't exactly difficult. Or it shouldn't be, though some still seem to struggle with it.
Ah you're looking for reason to not address the issue and make another hijack.

Good job Jabba. You'll prove immortality any century now.
Old 19th July 2019, 05:34 AM   #166
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

No. Ignoring Trump supporters is how we got Trump.

We can ignore the trolls when they can't then go vote. Until then we ignore them at our own peril.

Don't like it? Ignore me not ignoring them.
Zig claims to not be a Trump supporter, despite the contrary evidence. I suppose we could ask him to support his claim and watch him disappear for a few weeks.

I’m not saying don’t address the BS, just don’t let him win by changing the topic.
Old 19th July 2019, 05:37 AM   #167
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I’m not saying don’t address the BS, just don’t let him win by changing the topic.
I like that.

"Don't feed the trolling" is a much better rule of thumb than "Don't feed the troll."
Old 19th July 2019, 05:38 AM   #168
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Lots of people ignored it when a CNN reporter told Sebastian Gorka to "go home".
You see no difference between a private citizen and a President saying this?
Old 19th July 2019, 05:38 AM   #169
Belz...
Fiend God

No. I'm just trying to find out who is a hypocrite.
Why? If it has no bearing on the topic, as you have agreed, then why focus on that rather than, you know, the topic?

I mean, I know why. I just want you to say it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 05:40 AM   #170
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Next, Trump will call a black person the N-word, and his apologists will tell us that it's not racist if a white person has at some point been called the N-word.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 05:41 AM   #171
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I like that.

"Don't feed the trolling" is a much better rule of thumb than "Don't feed the troll."
I can accept that. Old phrases die hard ...with a vengeance,

(sorry)
Old 19th July 2019, 05:58 AM   #172
Cavemonster
Philosopher

A few reasons that incident may not have been a major news item.

1) No one has heard of Brian Karem. The president of the united states saying something is indicative of the policies and thought process of the most important arguably powerful person on the planet. A random person's actions do not carry so much weight. People are racist every day.

2) You label him a "CNN Reporter". He was there as a reporter for Playboy. He apparently works as an analyst for CNN, not a reporter.

3) Given the context of the altercation, the phrase "Go Home" does not seem to refer to leave the country, but rather, leave the rose garden and go to your house. I suppose you could imagine it intended the former meaning, but there's nothing from the context to suggest that. In Trump's tweet, he made it very clear that he was telling these women to leave the country.

4) A tweet is a written communication, done at the writer's leisure in their own time with ample opportunity to read and consider before one posts it. The altercation you're referring to was in the midst of an impromptu verbal fight. It's reasonable to put a lot more weight on the apparent meanings of a considered published text than on the possible interpretations of words blurted out in a heated moment.

You seem to be saying that consistency demands that we treat the leader of the free world explicitly calling for elected officials who are citizens to leave the country in writing with the same gravity as a reporter for playboy saying something which you could maybe imagine meant "leave the country" in the middle of a fight.

Really?
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON

Last edited by Cavemonster; 19th July 2019 at 06:17 AM.
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 06:13 AM   #173
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
A few reasons that incident may not have been a major news item.

1) No one has heard of Brian Karem. The president of the united states saying something is indicative of the policies and thought process of the most important person on the planet. A random person's actions do not carry so much weight. People are racist every day.

2) You label him a "CNN Reporter". He was there as a reporter for Playboy. He apparently works as an analyst for CNN, not a reporter.

3) Given the context of the altercation, the phrase "Go Home" does not seem to refer to leave the country, but rather, leave the rose garden and go to your house. I suppose you could imagine it intended the former meaning, but there's nothing from the context to suggest that. In Trump's tweet, he made it very clear that he was telling these women to leave the country.

4) A tweet is a written communication, done at the writer's leisure in their own time with ample opportunity to read and consider before one posts it. The altercation you're referring to was in the midst of an impromptu verbal fight. It's reasonable to put a lot more weight on the apparent meanings of a considered published text than on the possible interpretations of words blurted out in a heated moment.

You seem to be saying that consistency demands that we treat the leader of the free world explicitly calling for elected officials who are citizens to leave the country in writing with the same gravity as a reporter for playboy saying something which you could maybe imagine meant "leave the country" in the middle of a fight.

Really?
Holy cow. Is that the incident Zig is yammering on about?

"Go home" in that situation meant "return to your country of origin"?

That's just pathetic.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 06:17 AM   #174
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

It is amazing how the Fake News Media became “crazed” over the chant “send her back” by a packed Arena (a record) crowd in the Great State of North Carolina, but is totally calm & accepting of the most vile and disgusting statements made by the three Radical Left Congresswomen...

....Mainstream Media, which has lost all credibility, has either officially or unofficially become a part of the Radical Left Democrat Party. It is a sick partnership, so pathetic to watch! They even covered a tiny staged crowd as they greeted Foul Mouthed Omar in Minnesota, a...

....State which I will win in #2020 because they can’t stand her and her hatred of our Country, and they appreciate all that I have done for them (opening up mining and MUCH more) which has led to the best employment & economic year in Minnesota’s long and beautiful history!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 06:22 AM   #175
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Quote:
Trump tweet: It is amazing how the Fake News Media became “crazed” over the chant “send her back” by a packed Arena (a record) crowd in the Great State of North Carolina, but is totally calm & accepting of the most vile and disgusting statements made by the three Radical Left Congresswomen...
And this right here is why "Okay but what about what the left did!" has become the last defense of the Trumpers. They learned it from their master.
Old 19th July 2019, 06:23 AM   #176
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It's not that simple. Those words carry historical significance when directed at black/brown people.
Old 19th July 2019, 06:27 AM   #177
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

It is amazing how the Fake News Media became “crazed” over the chant “send her back” by a packed Arena (a record) crowd in the Great State of North Carolina, but is totally calm & accepting of the most vile and disgusting statements made by the three Radical Left Congresswomen...
He keeps saying that, but what vile and disgusting statements?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 06:27 AM   #178
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
It's not that simple. Those words carry historical significance when directed at black/brown people.
Great you just activated his "That's a double standard because I've rejected the very concept of 'context'" trap card. Stand by for another hijack.
Old 19th July 2019, 06:29 AM   #179
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Oh I'm sure the retired Democratic 3rd Assistant Alderman from Spoonbend, Arkansas got caught on tape saying something problematic at a poker game in 1983 or something like that they'll find and demand we talk and admit "the... pause for dramatic effect... HYPOCRISY!" about before addressing the standing President of the United States telling 4 mostly American born non-white Congressmen to "Go back where they came from."

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 19th July 2019 at 06:30 AM.
Old 19th July 2019, 06:31 AM   #180
ahhell
Master Poster

So, it seems like nobody is defending the chant, well, except on this forum which is....well, nobody.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 06:34 AM   #181
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

And this right here is why "Okay but what about what the left did!" has become the last defense of the Trumpers. They learned it from their master.
Right, and that's the part I'm saying to ignore. There is nothing to be gained from that conversation. It's a diversion tactic. You can't win by proving it wrong. By that point, you've already upped the engagement on the anti-left smear.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 06:47 AM   #182
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
So, it seems like nobody is defending the chant, well, except on this forum which is....well, nobody.
Trump didn't care, until he realized it might have shown his "power level". Republicans are defending Trump by blaming it on the white supremacists who regularly attend Trump's rallies and who were incited by Trump.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 07:02 AM   #183
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Omar did make a tweet or something repeating a few of Trump's top disgusting statements. That is literally what they are referring to when they call her "Foul-mouthed".
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 07:05 AM   #184
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Tlaib said something like "Impeach that ************" once. That was regrettable though not nearly so bad as many of Trump's profanity-free utterances as President.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 07:06 AM   #185
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Calling for civility is what you do if you can't argue the actual case.
Old 19th July 2019, 07:08 AM   #186
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Calling for civility is what you do if you can't argue the actual case.
"You're not telling me I'm wrong the right way!"
Old 19th July 2019, 07:19 AM   #187
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It is in reality. Racism is tied to a belief. Every comment needs to be evaluated if that belief can be discerned. Without a test using a similar, white immigrant, it is hard to discern.
I know this is a page or so old but isn't the hilited literally the point? The fact that it hasn't happened is evidence.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 07:26 AM   #188
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

....Mainstream Media, which has lost all credibility, has either officially or unofficially become a part of the Radical Left Democrat Party. It is a sick partnership, so pathetic to watch! They even covered a tiny staged crowd as they greeted Foul Mouthed Omar in Minnesota, a...

....State which I will win in #2020 because they can’t stand her and her hatred of our Country, and they appreciate all that I have done for them (opening up mining and MUCH more) which has led to the best employment & economic year in Minnesota’s long and beautiful history!
....three? Have they black-bagged one of them? Or did Kim Kardashian get one a pardon?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 07:28 AM   #189
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
....three? Have they black-bagged one of them? Or did Kim Kardashian get one a pardon?
*touches ear piece* Someone figured it out, I repeat. We have a turd in the punchbowl.

How many times did the number of angry demorats change for the Mueller investigation? Didn't it start at 9 or something?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 07:38 AM   #190
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Wait I thought the apolgetics we were being handed was that he was only talking to the one of them that was born outside the US?

How does 3 fit into that at all?
Old 19th July 2019, 07:42 AM   #191
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe someone finally told him that Pressley is not the child of immigrants.

(Of course, Trump is the child of an immigrant, so perhaps he should go fix Scotland.)
Old 19th July 2019, 07:46 AM   #192
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Wait I thought the apolgetics we were being handed was that he was only talking to the one of them that was born outside the US?

How does 3 fit into that at all?
Gish gallopwise, that's how

How could he possibly have been saying something racist when he was clearly saying that these congresswomen shouldn't waste their time being antisemitic and being rude to the greatest President ever. Instead they should go back and work for the benefit of their constituents.

Keep the story and the explanation moving so that, in the end, the public are left with the impression that it was all fuss over nothing, or better yet, that President Trump was taking a principled stand against unpatriotic communists.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 07:56 AM   #193
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Maybe someone finally told him that Pressley is not the child of immigrants.

(Of course, Trump is the child of an immigrant, so perhaps he should go fix Scotland.)
Isn't that grandchild and Germany?

Old 19th July 2019, 07:59 AM   #194
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Nope:

Quote:
Mary Anne Trump (née MacLeod, Scottish Gaelic: Màiri Anna NicLeòid; May 10, 1912 – August 7, 2000) was the mother of Donald Trump, the 45th president of the United States, and the wife of real estate developer Fred Trump. Born in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland, she emigrated to the United States in 1930 and became a naturalized citizen in 1942

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Anne_MacLeod_Trump

edited to add....

Unless you're only considering patrilineal lineage

Last edited by The Don; 19th July 2019 at 08:00 AM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 08:00 AM   #195
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah but Trump's father and Grandfather have the same name, so it gets confusing.

Trump's grandfather, Frederick (originally Freidrich) Trump, was born in the Kingdom of Bavaria (now part of Germany) in 1869. He immigrated to the US at the age of 16.

Trump's father, Frederick Christ Trump was born, in the Bronx in 1905.
Old 19th July 2019, 08:01 AM   #196
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Unless you're only considering patrilineal lineage
Of course I am. Women don't count.

Old 19th July 2019, 08:01 AM   #197
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

"SEND HER BACK!"

Wanna guess how Melania's gonna be greeted at numerous stops in the future?

"Send Her Back!"

Next time Ivanka tries to sit at the grown-up table with actual dignitaries or diplomats.

"Send Her Back!"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 08:04 AM   #198
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

"Send Her Back!"

Next time Ivanka tries to sit at the grown-up table with actual dignitaries or diplomats.

"Send Her Back!"
I really hope that this doesn't happen - wrestling with porkers comes to mind.

Unless it's at a restaurant and someone's meal isn't of a suitable standard in which case I'd suggest a chant of

"Send it back !"
Old 19th July 2019, 08:06 AM   #199
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Nope. I think that's bad. Just like it was bad when Sen. Nadler essentially threatened to get Sebastian Gorka deported.
Well, lets see....

Gorka:
- Was found to have had a gun when he attempted to board a plane in Washington
- Had an arrest warrant issued against him by his native Hungary
- Has expressed support for a far-right groups that have been labeled a threat to minorities (Its possible that his failure to disclose his ties to those groups might have been illegal.)

(Note that while he claims to be an expert in international affairs, some people looking into his credentials have found them to be questionable at best... but then, lying by itself would't necessarily be a reason to have someone deported.)

So, Gorka has had multiple legal problems. On the other hand, I know of no similar legal problems for Ilhan Omar, either in her original country of Somalia or in the U.S. She has said mean things about the resident "snowflake-in-chief", and has made some questionable remarks about Israel, but neither of those is illegal. If perhaps it was found that she had spent her summers working for Somali pirates, or knocked over a liquor store in Minnesota then you might have a point. But unless that type of evidence presents itself, the 2 situations are not comparable.

It is not hypocritical to suggest people that might be violating serious laws should be deported, while at the same time saying its wrong to call for the deportation of individuals who have committed no crime. Frankly, if the Republicans really were the party of "law and order", they would be doing their best to have Gorka expelled themselves.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/hungar...ebastian-gorka
https://forward.com/news/366339/seba...oes-it-matter/

I could also point out that 'send them back' does have a special meaning when applied to members of visible minorities, as compared to those of european origin. Its similar to the way using the 'N' word is considered especially offensive when uttered by white people, while a statement like 'cracker' does not have the same effect when used to describe a white person... the group that has been subject to discrimination should have more respect given to attacks aimed at it.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 08:09 AM   #200
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Send Her Back!"

"Send Her Back!"
Which will feed into the childish "Well they get to do it!" mentality.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics