ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Ilhan Omar , immigration issues , racism incidents , racism issues , Trump controversies

Old 20th July 2019, 08:20 AM   #321
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Leaving aside the "Look! A squirrel!" of your post, I've not heard of a terrorist citing Ocasio-Cortez as the inspiration for their actions, and googling turns up nothing. Can you provide a citation, please?
It is not a simple answer. It may take a while to put together Zigís response. He may have to get back to you on that later.

*tumbleweeds*
Old 20th July 2019, 08:21 AM   #322
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Ok stop.

Where?
Literally nowhere but inside Zigg's head and he damn well knows it.

Like every word that comes out of his mouth it exists nowhere but in the Twilight Zone of "whatever keeps the discussion away from me actually supporting or defending anything I've ever said."

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 20th July 2019 at 08:24 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 09:36 AM   #323
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Ok stop.

Where?
Willem Van Spronsen. His attack was all over the news, didn't you see it? And his manifesto justifying his attack specifically referred to CBP facilities as "concentration camps", which is terminology that AOC helped push.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 09:41 AM   #324
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Willem Van Spronsen. His attack was all over the news, didn't you see it? And his manifesto justifying his attack specifically referred to CBP facilities as "concentration camps", which is terminology that AOC helped push.
NO.

Start a thread about it. Don't "HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!" in this one.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 09:43 AM   #325
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Ah, so white people can also be defined as terrorists and not mentally ill if they espouse a left-wing manifesto. Good to know.
However this incident looks far closer to mental illness than many - the choice of weapon was particularly ineffective, and suicide by cop would be one option.
Describing the ICE centres as concentration camps, like those used by the British in the Boer War, seems pretty accurate.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 09:44 AM   #326
Belz...
Fiend God

Willem Van Spronsen. His attack was all over the news, didn't you see it?
No, I did not.

Quote:
And his manifesto justifying his attack specifically referred to CBP facilities as "concentration camps", which is terminology that AOC helped push.
Weak. It's too easy and general a term for you to blame AOC for it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 10:25 AM   #327
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
If you express hatred for the United States and you are an immigrant legal or not the response is acceptable. Go back to where you came from. If you were born and raised here and express hatred for the United States then find somewhere else to live.
And of course, as it always has been since war protestors were greeted with "love it or leave it," hatred for the US is defined here as disapproval of Trump. It is not, of course, disapproval of other administrations, since Trump prided himself on being an endless whiner when Obama was president.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 10:27 AM   #328
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I wish a reporter would challenge Trump when he states that Omar has expressed hatred for the US by asking him exactly what she said. And when the Orange Baboon lies, and you know he will, call him on it.
Originally Posted by timhau View Post
And then what?
Do it again. And every time he lies. He must be challenged on the spot when he just makes crap up.

There doesn't seem to be any Trump lies that his supporters aren't willing to either defend or ignore.
His hardcore base, yes. But there ARE people out there who voted for him reluctantly and who may just reach their "Trump lies" saturation point. We need them, especially in the swing states.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 10:31 AM   #329
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I'll certainly condemn his actions. But it's no wonder that he didn't show up in google searches - because he didn't cite Ocasio-Cortez as the impetus behind his actions.

And I certainly don't believe that Ocasio-Cortez correctly using the term "concentration camps"and having a clear, thought-out reason for doing so is remotely the same thing as lying in order to incite racial hatred. I don't think you do, either.
Old 20th July 2019, 10:35 AM   #330
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

His hardcore base, yes. But there ARE people out there who voted for him reluctantly and who may just reach their "Trump lies" saturation point. We need them, especially in the swing states.
This guy, for example:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It's all a bit "I never thought leopards would eat MY face!", and it's a testament to how wilfully blind people can be given that he seems to think that Trump saying something racist came completely out of the blue, but it's an example of a staunch supporter changing their stance based on Trump's actions.
Old 20th July 2019, 10:45 AM   #331
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
So first he supported them, then says he tried to stop them, now he wants to have it both ways. Classy.

Even his cultists must feel the slightest bit of betrayal when he said he disagreed with them, and tried to stop them chanting?
That's nothing new. Just as, when he denied having any influence on the exclusion of the ship named after McCain from ceremonies in Japan, he wrapped his denial in the remark that it was well intentioned. He is very good at disavowal and approval in the same breath.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 10:49 AM   #332
Stacyhs
Philosopher

This guy, for example:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It's all a bit "I never thought leopards would eat MY face!", and it's a testament to how wilfully blind people can be given that he seems to think that Trump saying something racist came completely out of the blue, but it's an example of a staunch supporter changing their stance based on Trump's actions.
Interesting. I agree that it's a bit odd for him to claim it came out of the blue. I doubt he's unaware of the "very fine people on both sides" statement.
I find it heartening that he says many of his black conservative friends have jumped off the Trump train and are supporting Harris or Biden.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 10:59 AM   #333
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I'll certainly condemn his actions. But it's no wonder that he didn't show up in google searches - because he didn't cite Ocasio-Cortez as the impetus behind his actions.

And I certainly don't believe that Ocasio-Cortez correctly using the term "concentration camps"and having a clear, thought-out reason for doing so is remotely the same thing as lying in order to incite racial hatred. I don't think you do, either.
But shouldn't you think he does? After years of excusing and defending pure insanity, is there really any doubt benefit left?
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 11:02 AM   #334
Stacyhs
Philosopher

This interview with Democrats who voted for Trump is interesting. Some regret their choice, some don't. I found the comments by those who still support him especially interesting.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...0_choices.html
Old 20th July 2019, 12:22 PM   #335
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

This interview with Democrats who voted for Trump is interesting. Some regret their choice, some don't. I found the comments by those who still support him especially interesting.

Interesting in the generally misinformed sense?
Old 20th July 2019, 12:51 PM   #336
Venom
Master Poster

Poor deluded souls.

I guess they are populists at heart, voted for Obama for the Hope and Change and voted for Trump to Make America Great Again!
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 01:26 PM   #337
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm sure rural Americans having essentially no representation on the Federal level would be quite ok for you, but not for them. You do understand that this is what the Senate and EC were supposed to address, correct?
Besides the fact this is a straw man, what does it say about liberals' representation now?

If the Senate matched the voting public, conservatives would have no representation?

Then what representation do liberals have currently?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 20th July 2019 at 01:29 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 01:32 PM   #338
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

And then what? There doesn't seem to be any Trump lies that his supporters aren't willing to either defend or ignore.
Calling out Trump lies needs to be targeted and repeated.
Old 20th July 2019, 01:34 PM   #339
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

As you can see, I did nothing to lead people on, nor was I particularly happy with their chant. Just a very big and patriotic crowd. They love the USA!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1151738558501330945
As we can see, that's a blatant lie. Yet that matters not.
Old 20th July 2019, 01:42 PM   #340
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Oh for pity's sake! Really?

This was in WA, a single crazy among the protestors at the immigration detention facility went back after the protest and it's not clear yet but suicide by cop may have been the motive.

I heard about it. But a direct connection to AOC? Of course no one had a clue what you were talking about.
Old 20th July 2019, 02:35 PM   #341
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Interesting in the generally misinformed sense?
Of the six people interviewed, 4 were men (2 white, 2 A-American) and 2 were women (1 white, 1 A-American). Only the men voted for Trump, and the two white men regretted it. The two A-A men, Dixon and Wimbley, did not.

Quote:
JOSEPH DIXON, DEMOCRAT, VOTED FOR TRUMP: With Trump, I was really sold as soon as he came down that escalator and announced that he was going to run.
Why was he sold on Trump so early? I suspect it was because of the image he had of Trump being a successful businessman a la The Apprentice.

Quote:
DIXON: It was almost like a big middle finger to all -- to the establishment -- to all of politics and I just felt that we really needed that.
I know that many people felt that way but, to me, itís an utterly stupid and childish reason to vote for someone to be POTUS.

Wimbley doesnít think that racism is a problem in the US or that itís become worse since Trumpís election.

Quote:
WIMBLEY: It just amazes me. This is 2019. The race relations and the way that we perceive or the way we say things are happening in this country, I don't see it happening.
On the uptick in reported hate crimes:

Quote:
WIMBLEY: You can say that. I truly don't believe it because I don't see it. I can statistically say anything, but I don't see it.

WIMBLEY: I don't really even call that -- like, the Anti-Defamation League, the Southern Law Center -- to me, those are democratic institutions that will say and manipulate anything.

Racism is not a microaggression. Racism is something painful and hurtful. And when we take microaggressions and turn it into the country's against black people, we're literally slapping the people in the face that went through real racism.
I think Wimbley doesnít see what he doesnít want to see.
Old 20th July 2019, 02:36 PM   #342
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Oh for pity's sake! Really?

This was in WA, a single crazy among the protestors at the immigration detention facility went back after the protest and it's not clear yet but suicide by cop may have been the motive.

I heard about it. But a direct connection to AOC? Of course no one had a clue what you were talking about.
Desperation calls for desperate claims.
Old 20th July 2019, 02:56 PM   #343
Belz...
Fiend God

Besides the fact this is a straw man
And again with the misue of the term. What is it with you and calling arguments I'm making strawmen? You realise they have to be representations of YOUR arguments, not of their consequences, right?

Quote:
what does it say about liberals' representation now?
Well it says exactly what you think it says, really. What's the point of voting Republican in California, for instance? The fear was always that representative voting would drown out rural concerns because the larger, more city-bound states would overwhelm the smaller ones. Do you disagree with the contention that A) this is a real issue and B) that it's a problem?

Quote:
If the Senate matched the voting public, conservatives would have no representation?
That's not what I wrote. Please re-read the post you replied to.

I said "rural Americans", not "conservatives".

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 03:53 PM   #344
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

And again with the misue of the term. What is it with you and calling arguments I'm making strawmen? You realise they have to be representations of YOUR arguments, not of their consequences, right?
You asserting the outcome as catastrophic and claiming the other person hopes for that outcome is maybe a clever adaptation on a straw man, maybe some other term is appropriate, but in any case, it's a terrible way to have a discussion.

Quote:
Well it says exactly what you think it says, really.
Dodge noted.

Quote:
What's the point of voting Republican in California, for instance? The fear was always that representative voting would drown out rural concerns because the larger, more city-bound states would overwhelm the smaller ones. Do you disagree with the contention that A) this is a real issue and B) that it's a problem?

The point of voting in a proportional representation model is to increase the proportion of representation of your interests.

Not sure why it feels like the unstated premise is "if my interests don't end up as the majority, the whole thing is unfair."

I mean it's been pointed out there's blatant disparity between votes cast and resulting representation, you dismiss it away and insist it's the rural vote being squashed?!
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 04:21 PM   #345
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Did he cite AOC has his "inspiration":.... err NO

Has anyone else referred to CBP facilities as "concentrations camps"? Yes - hundreds of people; politicians of all flavours, and media presenters, and reporters.

This is what really happened - under pressure, you made a rash and unevidenced claim that you could not back up, so now you are frantically clutching at straws to preztel-twist some unrelated facts in order to force fit them into looking like evidence. You failed; we aren't stupid - we see right through your transparent lies.

You don't need AOC's words in order to be outraged at the inhumane conditions under which adults and children are being imprisoned in CPD concentration camps - if you aren't outraged by what you see at these facilities, then you're a sociopath and your wiring is faulty. You only need to be a Trump supporter to believe that these abuses are just fine.

Last edited by smartcooky; 20th July 2019 at 04:24 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 04:37 PM   #346
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
You asserting the outcome as catastrophic and claiming the other person hopes for that outcome is maybe a clever adaptation on a straw man, maybe some other term is appropriate, but in any case, it's a terrible way to have a discussion.
What are you talking about? It's a FACT that proportional representation would mean that the larger, city-based states would dominate politics at the expense of rural, less populous states. Ergo, rural considerations would be more likely to be ignored.

How the **** is that a strawman? You're not making any sense.

Quote:
Dodge noted.

I'm pretty sure Ginger thinks that liberals are getting under-represented under the current conditions as stated. It's not a dodge to confirm her perspective on the subject.

It really seems that you are reflexively disagreeing with me, no matter what I say.

Quote:
The point of voting in a proportional representation model is to increase the proportion of representation of your interests.

Not sure why it feels like the unstated premise is "if my interests don't end up as the majority, the whole thing is unfair."

I mean it's been pointed out there's blatant disparity between votes cast and resulting representation, you dismiss it away and insist it's the rural vote being squashed?!
I'm not dismissing anything. I'm stating a fact, and asking a question. Why did you respond if you weren't going to reply to what I actually posted?

This is getting surreal. If you focused in the points and facts rather than trying to score one for your imaginary team, you might be having a discussion.

Old 20th July 2019, 04:39 PM   #347
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This is what really happened - under pressure, you made a rash and unevidenced claim that you could not back up, so now you are frantically clutching at straws to preztel-twist some unrelated facts in order to force fit them into looking like evidence. You failed; we aren't stupid - we see right through your transparent lies.
I'd say it's more likely that he was referring to Van Spronsen originally. If you google his name and hers together you get a bunch of right-wing websites making tenuous connections between them ([url=https://pluralist.com/willem-van-spronsen-antifa-manifesto-ocasio-cortez/]one example]). If these are the kinds of websites you read, or if you hang out in the kind of spaces that are occupied by people who read those kinds of websites, then it seems entirely reasonable to me that you may believe the same things.

It doesn't make the argument any less spurious, but I see no reason to assume that it wasn't an association that Ziggurat had before making that post. I think he knows that it's not the same thing as what I was talking about, and that Ocasio-Cortez's public statements aren't on the same level as Trump's public statements. I think he knows he's trying to draw a false equivalence. But I see no reason to assume that it's propaganda that he was unaware of until challenged. Seems much more likely to me that it's propaganda that he's previously swallowed.
Old 20th July 2019, 04:59 PM   #348
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

What are you talking about? It's a FACT that proportional representation would mean that the larger, city-based states would dominate politics at the expense of rural, less populous states. Ergo, rural considerations would be more likely to be ignored.
No, it is your speculative assertion.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 05:02 PM   #349
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

I'll skip being cute for several more posts and just ask:

What is the "correct" amount of rural representation in % of seats allocated?
Old 20th July 2019, 05:19 PM   #350
Belz...
Fiend God

No, it is your speculative assertion.
Well, even if this was the case, it wouldn't be a strawman, would it?

However, how is it not a fact? Are you seriously contesting the claim that a group of people who are more numerous, and have policy X, in a proportional election, would outweigh a group of people who are less numerous, with policy Y? That's a logical implication! Where's the speculation, there?

Cities and rural areas do not have the same problems and issues. If you have states like NY and CA voting one way, and Wyoming and Alabama voting another, who will win? I'm not saying that the reverse is better. I'm saying that it's a real issue that worries people in the smaller states. How are we do deal with this issue, is the question. So far the answer from forum members have been "**** those yokels.", essentially.

Last edited by Belz...; 20th July 2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 20th July 2019, 05:46 PM   #351
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Oh dear god.

No, you stating another party wants your speculative outcome to occur is. Or at least its some form of shoehorning those words onto their argument.

Do not even try to play the game where you hop from left foot to right and back on technicalities.

Quote:
However, how is it not a fact? Are you seriously contesting the claim that a group of people who are more numerous, and have policy X, in a proportional election, would outweigh a group of people who are less numerous, with policy Y? That's a logical implication! Where's the speculation, there?
The speculation there is it hasn't been demonstrated.

I'll grant you that you have a plausible hypothesis.

But, I mean, look at what you just said. Uh, yeah, if you get outvoted, you might need to accept that maybe your interests aren't the most important? Maybe convince people why they should be?

Quote:
Cities and rural areas do not have the same problems and issues. If you have states like NY and CA voting one way, and Wyoming and Alabama voting another, who will win? I'm not saying that the reverse is better. I'm saying that it's a real issue that worries people in the smaller states.
Why would NY and CA vote "one way"? Do they vote "one way" now?

Turns out they send a mixture of urban and rural interests as their voting population sees fit.

Quote:
How are we do deal with this issue, is the question. So far the answer from forum members have been "**** those yokels.", essentially.
Oh, this is all about you working out your victimization routine.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 20th July 2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 20th July 2019, 06:04 PM   #352
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You said "rural Americans having essentially no representation on the Federal level".

You either think I'm arguing that should happen, or you are posting ridiculous hyperbole.

And rural vs conservative, so what? Neither changes the argument I made. We are underrepresented. They are over represented.

Quote:
Well it says exactly what you think it says, really. What's the point of voting Republican in California, for instance? The fear was always that representative voting would drown out rural concerns because the larger, more city-bound states would overwhelm the smaller ones. Do you disagree with the contention that A) this is a real issue and B) that it's a problem?
You think this is news to anyone? Think you have to explain the EC to us?

Gosh, if only I had known that, now it makes sense why the issues in 1776 should apply today.
Old 20th July 2019, 06:10 PM   #353
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's a bloody straw man if you think I'm saying rural areas should have NO representation.

Not only did I not argue that, if representation were balanced, it would not result in NO representation.

Now that we've cleared that distraction up, you're free to move the discussion forward.
Old 20th July 2019, 06:17 PM   #354
Belz...
Fiend God

No, you stating another party wants your speculative outcome to occur is.
And where have I done this? Wanting an outcome and being indifferent to it are not the same thing.

Quote:
The speculation there is it hasn't been demonstrated.
What hasn't been demonstrated? That larger interest groups get their policies done more than smaller groups in proportion? Seriously? You can't possibly call this speculation. You're basically telling me that 2<4 is speculation.

Quote:
But, I mean, look at what you just said. Uh, yeah, if you get outvoted, you might need to accept that maybe your interests aren't the most important? Maybe convince people why they should be?
And you don't see why that would be really, really difficult, in this specific case? What if someone said that the solution to gerrymandering was to just convince more people?

Quote:
Oh, this is all about you working out your victimization routine.
...my what? Your posts are getting more and more bizarre. What victimisation?

It's one thing to discuss the benefits and downsides of proportional voting or its alternatives. It's one other entirely to dismiss either the benefits or the downsides. It smacks of a pretermined conclusion.

Old 20th July 2019, 06:21 PM   #355
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

And where have I done this? Wanting an outcome and being indifferent to it are not the same thing.
Oh lord sorry, you stated they "would be quite ok" with it.

The rest I'll leave alone so you can address Skeptic's points.
Old 20th July 2019, 06:21 PM   #356
Belz...
Fiend God

You said "rural Americans having essentially no representation on the Federal level".

You either think I'm arguing that should happen, or you are posting ridiculous hyperbole.
Or I'm illustrating what WOULD likely happen.

Quote:
And rural vs conservative, so what? Neither changes the argument I made. We are underrepresented. They are over represented.
Ok, "So what", then?

Quote:
You think this is news to anyone? Think you have to explain the EC to us?
Well clearly you don't quite understand the arguments in favour of it. Which, by the way, does not require you to agree with the EC.

Quote:
It's a bloody straw man if you think I'm saying rural areas should have NO representation.
Again, I never said or implied this.

Old 20th July 2019, 06:22 PM   #357
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Oh lord sorry, you stated they "would be quite ok" with it (zero representation of rural interests).

The rest I'll leave alone so you can address Skeptic's points.
Old 20th July 2019, 06:22 PM   #358
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

What is the "correct" amount of rural representation in % of seats allocated?
IMHO, approximately the rural % of the US population. Also, super off-topic.
Old 20th July 2019, 06:22 PM   #359
Belz...
Fiend God

Oh lord sorry, you stated they "would be quite ok" with it.
You seriously don't see the difference? It's quite fundamental.

But I guess I shouldn't expect much from someone who thinks 4>2 is a statement that should be demonstrated.

Old 20th July 2019, 06:22 PM   #360
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Guys can we spin off the "Proportional / Direct representation" debate to another thread or at least tie it back into the topic?

Endless hijacks away from the topic aren't better when we do it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics