ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump supporters

Old 30th July 2019, 11:09 AM   #81
Cain
Straussian

Regrettably, there are bad actors on both sides. The media will report Trump made "racist" comments, and many conservatives will rush out to defend the president. Big mistake. There's so much fake news, you gotta play it smart like me and never take anything at face-value. I wait until there's solid confirmation the President made racist remarks, then I defend him.
Old 30th July 2019, 11:12 AM   #82
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Regrettably, there are bad actors on both sides. The media will report Trump made "racist" comments, and many conservatives will rush out to defend the president. Big mistake. There's so much fake news, you gotta play it smart like me and never take anything at face-value. I wait until there's solid confirmation the President made racist remarks, then I defend him.
That's one thing I've always admired about you, Cain. Patience.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 11:15 AM   #83
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I've missed the last couple of days of insanity so: how is that different than Trump and co. back in 2015?
One subtle difference is that it was still an unproven strategy back then. Trump seems much bolder now.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 11:37 AM   #84
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Perhaps?
Well, currently seem to be rallying around Al Sharpton.
Quote:
That could be because they have no empathy whatsoever for the Americans who heard Trump say Cummings should "go back" to (implicitely his) black slums, where no human being would want to live, and clean that up before getting all uppity about investigating the rampant corruption in this administration. It got worse from there, with Trump accusing Cummings of graft, but in the process, Trump once again got away with saying something blatantly racist, then reacting to the reaction by saying something different, and his bootlicking sycophants saying, "See? That's not racist."
When exactly did Trump say "go back" to his "black slums". Shocking, Trump doesn't want somebody investigating his administration. Must be his racism? What was blatantly racist about accusing someone of graft?
Quote:

I asked another poster why Trump chose the inner-city slums as representative of Cummings' district instead of Columbia (or any one of many other neighborhoods), but haven't seen a response. You want to take a crack at that?
There was a recent report on FOX about Baltimore's rat problem, there's a pretty straight line from their to Trump tweeting about he rat problem in Cumming's district. I am unaware of any similar story regarding Columbia. Also, Baltimore is notorious.
Quote:
I write them off as irredeemable, whatever their pathetic excuse. I also don't have any use for their advice on how Dems should campaign this cycle.
They seem to win elections. Not to mention there's a pretty direct lesson from the last election regarding multitudes of primary candidates but hey, there's no lessons to be learned there, cause they suck.

Last edited by ahhell; 30th July 2019 at 11:38 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 11:39 AM   #85
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Do me a favor please. When you quote me as you generate straw men on industrial scale, don't omit the bits that negate the part that you quote.
Look nothing is racist the idea that a belief or statement can be racist and that this matters is dead. You can call anything racist and your base will believe it, hence why it means nothing and is no longer a useful idea. Trump and this so called racism is the new face of the GOP and we have to accept and work with that. That is the new reality of the US.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 11:57 AM   #86
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Did you know that Cummings' district includes Columbia, MD, a "planned community" built in the 60s that is consistently rated as one of the top 10 places to live in the U.S.? Can you sum up the "intellectual argument" for why Trump chose the inner-city slums as representative of Cummings' district rather than Columbia?

I can.
All they know is the Trump spittle. I doubt they read further than that.
Old 30th July 2019, 12:20 PM   #87
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Do me a favor please. When you quote me as you generate straw men on industrial scale, don't omit the bits that negate the part that you quote.
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Look nothing is racist the idea that a belief or statement can be racist and that this matters is dead. You can call anything racist and your base will believe it, hence why it means nothing and is no longer a useful idea. Trump and this so called racism is the new face of the GOP and we have to accept and work with that. That is the new reality of the US.
This is the kind of thing that gets my popcorn poppin'.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 12:44 PM   #88
Minoosh
Philosopher

One thing we can be pretty sure of by now is that neither of those things is going to happen. It's like arguing science and logic with a creationist who thinks the devil is using you to test his faith.
I think you're right about arguing with them but IMO that doesn't preclude listening to them. You might hear things that give insight into their values beyond racism. Yes, there are some. Forget where I read it right now but there are techniques for broaching these subjects ... you find out what people value and look for ways to frame so-called "Democratic" ideas that appeal to those values. Not so much if their Trump support is built on pure racism, but there are other issues IMO.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 12:47 PM   #89
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I think you're right about arguing with them but IMO that doesn't preclude listening to them. You might hear things that give insight into their values beyond racism. Yes, there are some. Forget where I read it right now but there are techniques for broaching these subjects ... you find out what people value and look for ways to frame so-called "Democratic" ideas that appeal to those values. Not so much if their Trump support is built on pure racism, but there are other issues IMO.
Like building the wall and draining the swamp(which of course no one should have taken seriously it was just a cheer line not a serious policy proposal). And of course locking hillary up.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 12:47 PM   #90
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
It's as if you're not even reading what I posted. I may as well attempt communication with a primitive bot.
Old 30th July 2019, 01:29 PM   #91
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
I wasn't going to post in this silly thread but now I feel compelled. This post is a perfect example of my problem with the "skeptic" community. And it's no surprise it was authored by the person who does this the most.

You're never going to understand the world by reading wikipedia, or any other of your stupid hyperlinks. You have to experience Baltimore to understand it and its problems. It doesn't matter how "reputable" your source is, you don't know **** about what you're saying. Nearly every post you make demonstrates your naivete, especially when posting in "USA Politics." Your endless hyperlinks don't mask this, if anything, they illuminate it.

You knew nothing about Baltimore before you went to its wikipedia page, you know even less about Baltimore now.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 01:34 PM   #92
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

I'm not completely sure how to compare this latest mass condemnation with various other historical "isms" meant to vilify large groups of people for crimes of thought or philosophy, but I am reminded of them.

That's not to say that I don't believe there are racist elements to certain, maybe even widespread worldviews, I just wonder how history will look back on all this. Nearly half of Americans are "evil" ? This sort of religious language as justification for mass condemnation ought to be considered taboo on a forum such as this. Is "evil" even a thing?

In their time, I'm sure it was quite obvious to prohibitionists or people who went after witches, or McCarthy that the folks they persecuted were indeed partaking of evil. Given contemporary thinking, it would seem outrageous to contend that holding racist views might make one akin to a communist sympathizer, but just the implication of such, even in the absence of hard evidence can be enough to draw mass outrage and shunning. I just wonder where is this headed.

At least it's good theater.

PS. Trump sucks.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 01:48 PM   #93
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
In their time, I'm sure it was quite obvious to prohibitionists or people who went after witches, or McCarthy that the folks they persecuted were indeed partaking of evil. Given contemporary thinking, it would seem outrageous to contend that holding racist views might make one akin to a communist sympathizer, but just the implication of such, even in the absence of hard evidence can be enough to draw mass outrage and shunning. I just wonder where is this headed.
Condemning what they say, and how they act is a bit different than your examples where people went to jail, were murdered, etc.

We can call them evil, and not want them to be eradicated. Maybe we want their ideology eradicated because it's archaic and ridiculous. I don't think that's the same though. No one here is advocating for their harm. I've seen indifference to it, but I don't remember anyone here pushing for it.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 03:38 PM   #94
Apathia
Philosopher

First off, I know what you mean. The world isn't black and white.

That said, crocodiles care for their young.
Oh my! I may be a speciesist!
I refuse to swim in the same pool with Crocks, Gators, and Sharks.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 03:46 PM   #95
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Condemning what they say, and how they act is a bit different than your examples where people went to jail, were murdered, etc.

We can call them evil, and not want them to be eradicated.
Maybe, but I don't think that's how the "you're evil!" conversation typically plays out.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 04:25 PM   #96
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
It is good to see that you have learned the highlighted finally, after all of your rantings about places you have never been based on spurious posts on right wing websites. It is a start.
But when childless Europeans do it it means they're super smart.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 04:26 PM   #97
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I think the question is whether you've enjoyed your 2.5 years of defending and running interference for the merchants of hate?
"merchants of hate". Nice one. But I'm not sure you're in a position to call other people that.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 04:32 PM   #98
mgidm86
Philosopher

More name-calling from the left. They do it so much they need to invent more "names". Stupid isn't stupid enough!

These "I'm angry listen to me" threads are very tedious, no facts, no links, no point. But if it makes someone feel superior for a few minutes hey go for it.

Old 30th July 2019, 04:47 PM   #99
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

This sort of religious language as justification for mass condemnation ought to be considered taboo on a forum such as this.
It would be nice if that were the case, but spend any time here and you'll see that such mass condemnation is really the norm. In fact, forum rules encourage it.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 05:06 PM   #100
BrooklynBaby
Muse

The people on the left who are lying about all of their political opponents being racists are that same ones who were completely wrong about the Zimmerman Hoax, Ferguson Hoax, and Russia Hoax. Many years of lying and being completely wrong every day, 24/7, with the facts easily available. Really not worth arguing with anymore.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 05:13 PM   #101
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
The people on the left who are lying about all of their political opponents being racists are that same ones who were completely wrong about the Zimmerman Hoax, Ferguson Hoax, and Russia Hoax. Many years of lying and being completely wrong every day, 24/7, with the facts easily available. Really not worth arguing with anymore.
"Send Them back."

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 05:16 PM   #102
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
More name-calling from the left. They do it so much they need to invent more "names". Stupid isn't stupid enough!

These "I'm angry listen to me" threads are very tedious, no facts, no links, no point. But if it makes someone feel superior for a few minutes hey go for it.

Projection. Have you listened to the President? At all?

As well 'Libtards. Progs. communists. Socialists. Snowflakes' And more.

Now the right is upset that racists are being called racists.

Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 05:21 PM   #103
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Projection. Have you listened to the President? At all?

As well 'Libtards. Progs. communists. Socialists. Snowflakes' And more.

Now the right is upset that racists are being called racists.
Projection. Have you listened to skeptics at all? At all?

They have to remind everyone how "not racist" they are.

Now they're upset their stupid shaming tactics have no effect.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2019, 06:12 PM   #104
Cain
Straussian

Democrats are the real racists.
Old 30th July 2019, 06:15 PM   #105
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I gotta say, I'm pretty hyped to see how FMW's next foray into political opinion works out for him.
Old 30th July 2019, 06:21 PM   #106
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Democrats are the real racists.
Racist against racists! Intolerant of intolerance! Bigoted against bigots!

Old 30th July 2019, 06:49 PM   #107
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Yeah, how ‘bout that?
Old 30th July 2019, 07:05 PM   #108
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I gotta say, I'm pretty hyped to see how FMW's next foray into political opinion works out for him.
Huh? Are you another who mistakes our different time zones for me not responding. It's a fast-moving thread relative to my catching-up requirements and there's just so much stupid one can respond to in a generic post, so I'm torn between replying to every single post and just letting the thread run its course so the rest of the active white nationalists* on the forum can come along and embarrass the pseudo-neutral brigade.

*There! For all you "Boo Hoo Don't Call us/them Names" types... is that better? Do you prefer "white nationalist" to "bigot"? 'Cuz you're not fooling anyone. They mean the same thing!

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 30th July 2019 at 07:29 PM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 01:55 AM   #109
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Well, currently seem to be rallying around Al Sharpton.
I'd French kiss Al Sharpton before I'd vote for Trump.

When exactly did Trump say "go back" to his "black slums". Shocking, Trump doesn't want somebody investigating his administration. Must be his racism? What was blatantly racist about accusing someone of graft?
Cummings represents his district in the U.S. Congress. He's not the mayor of Baltimore or the Governor of Maryland, yet Trump thinks he should go back to Baltimore and clean up the slums rather than do his job as the elected Congressman for his district. Are you pretending not to see the similarity between that and the "suggestion" he made to the Squad? It's obvious enough why Trump is attacking Cummings; the matter under discussion is the nature of his attacks. People apparently more observant than trumpers are seeing a certain pattern.

There was a recent report on FOX about Baltimore's rat problem, there's a pretty straight line from their to Trump tweeting about he rat problem in Cumming's district. I am unaware of any similar story regarding Columbia. Also, Baltimore is notorious.
You dodged my question. Yes, FOX teed up the ball with innuendo, but Trump whacked it right down the fairway. My question was, why did Trump characterize that slum as "Cumming's district" and why does he think Cummings should go fix that instead of doing his job?

They seem to win elections. Not to mention there's a pretty direct lesson from the last election regarding multitudes of primary candidates but hey, there's no lessons to be learned there, cause they suck.
The last election? I think you missed one, but anyway, it would appear that having a multitude of candidates in 2016 gave Republicans exactly the one they really wanted. That was the lesson there: Republicans are no longer fit to govern.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 03:00 AM   #110
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I'm not completely sure how to compare this latest mass condemnation with various other historical "isms" meant to vilify large groups of people for crimes of thought or philosophy, but I am reminded of them.

That's not to say that I don't believe there are racist elements to certain, maybe even widespread worldviews, I just wonder how history will look back on all this. Nearly half of Americans are "evil" ? This sort of religious language as justification for mass condemnation ought to be considered taboo on a forum such as this. Is "evil" even a thing?
Exactly think of all the fine loving people who just happened to be member of the nazi party, decrying all of them can't possibly be right.
Old 31st July 2019, 05:57 AM   #111
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
You're evil!
FTFY. HTH. HAND!
Old 31st July 2019, 05:58 AM   #112
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That worked out pretty well, actually. Let's do it again sometime.
Old 31st July 2019, 06:24 AM   #113
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
FTFY. HTH. HAND!
Nominated.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 09:39 AM   #114
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Calling liberals "sore losers" on the other hand, is certainly giving them an appellation well-earned.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 10:03 AM   #115
Cain
Straussian

Democrats have been calling Republicans "racist!" for decades. They even accused the greatest president of the 20th century of being "racist" for appealing to the "states' rights" views of southerners, and mentioning the "Welfare Queens" of Chicago. Ronald Reagan was totally not racist.
Old 31st July 2019, 10:04 AM   #116
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Calling liberals "sore losers" on the other hand, is certainly giving them an appellation well-earned.
Now you're just being evil.
Old 31st July 2019, 10:05 AM   #117
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

... and neither was Nixon.
Old 31st July 2019, 10:07 AM   #118
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Democrats have been calling Republicans "racist!" for decades. They even accused the greatest president of the 20th century of being "racist" for appealing to the "states' rights" views of southerners, and mentioning the "Welfare Queens" of Chicago. Ronald Reagan was totally not racist.
That was just racist evil. It wasn't like, evil evil. FMW is challenging us to go Next Level on this bitch. FMW is challenging us to point the finger and say, with all the courage of our convictions, "you're eeevil!" The current political climate demands nothing less, and we must all do our part for a Better Tomorrow.
Old 31st July 2019, 10:17 AM   #119
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Conservative media has been calling non-conservatives names for literally decades. The GOP has picked up that momentum and done the same in the last decade or so. As I've mentioned before, it doesn't appear to have hurt the GOP at all.

I fail to see the evidence that this has not been a winning strategy for them.
Old 31st July 2019, 10:19 AM   #120
Joe Random
Master Poster

Too much hatred and acrimony in this thread. We need something to calm everyone down and let the peace flow.

I served during the Falkland Islands times (in junior high marching band), so I know we can do this.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics