ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump supporters

Old 31st July 2019, 10:23 AM   #121
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Calling liberals "sore losers" on the other hand, is certainly giving them an appellation well-earned.
Liberals are "sore losers" in the same way that Jews in 1930s/40s Germany were "sore losers".

Namely, they see some political faction rise to power 1) that did not do so based on majority support, and 2) that seeks to cause harm, not only to those that are being targeted, but to society as a whole.

This is not just a case where the Republicans won a fair election battle and the Liberals are upset that they couldn't get a majority of people to like them.

Trump got into power in part because of the support of a foreign government (and still lost the popular vote). Yet that same political party is engaging in activities that will increase the tax burden on many/most middle and lower class people, take away heath care from millions, harmed various minorities, and turned the U.S. into a laughing stock.

The liberals certainly have valid reasons to be upset.

(And I say this not as some sort of left-winger myself. I'm Canadian, and regularly vote for our right-of-center Conservative party.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 10:32 AM   #122
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Those who continue to support Trump remind me of the dead people in The Sixth Sense.

They don't know they're stupid (or at least, ignorant).
They see only what they want to see.
The color red signals a scene that they see as something other than it truly is.
Old 31st July 2019, 10:38 AM   #123
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Conservative media has been calling non-conservatives names for literally decades. The GOP has picked up that momentum and done the same in the last decade or so. As I've mentioned before, it doesn't appear to have hurt the GOP at all.

I fail to see the evidence that this has not been a winning strategy for them.
On the other hand, progressives calling conservatives fascists and racists and hitler and so on seems to have finally hit the point of diminishing returns sometime around 2015. Maybe the "deplorables" thing was the final straw? I don't know.

FMW's proposal that the solution is to upgrade from "deplorable", etc. to "evil" is certainly... a proposal.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 10:43 AM   #124
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Liberals are "sore losers" in the same way that Jews in 1930s/40s Germany were "sore losers".
I wonder what would happen if there was a thread about Trump in the politics section which wasn't Godwin'ed. I suspect it might rip a hole in the fabric of reality. We can't take that chance.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Ziggurat; 31st July 2019 at 10:45 AM.
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 10:44 AM   #125
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
Too much hatred and acrimony in this thread. We need something to calm everyone down and let the peace flow.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...5664285797.jpg

I served during the Falkland Islands times (in junior high marching band), so I know we can do this.
Needs more cowbell.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 10:52 AM   #126
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Conservative media has been calling non-conservatives names for literally decades. The GOP has picked up that momentum and done the same in the last decade or so. As I've mentioned before, it doesn't appear to have hurt the GOP at all.

It's only bad when a liberal/Democrat/porg does it.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 10:55 AM   #127
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I wonder what would happen if there was a thread about Trump in the politics section which wasn't Godwin'ed. I suspect it might rip a hole in the fabric of reality. We can't take that chance.
Godwin's Exception may actually be in play...
Old 31st July 2019, 11:04 AM   #128
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Everyone thinks so when they do it.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 11:10 AM   #129
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

you know someone who Godwin'ed Trump?
The guy who the expression is named after.

If there are legitimate comparisons to be made, it is not a Godwin.
Old 31st July 2019, 11:11 AM   #130
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Everyone thinks so when they do it.
The corollary is that no one thinks so when it is against them.

It's a strange ol' world.
Old 31st July 2019, 11:11 AM   #131
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Didn't you get the memo?

Old and busted: "nazis"

New hotness: "evil"
Old 31st July 2019, 11:12 AM   #132
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Didn't you get the memo?

Old and busted: "nazis"

New hotness: "evil"
"Godwin'ed"
Old 31st July 2019, 11:12 AM   #133
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Appeal to authority much? He's Godwin, not God.

Quote:
If.
Old 31st July 2019, 11:15 AM   #134
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Naming a logical fallacy doesn't make one immune to it.

Quote:
That wasn't one.
Old 31st July 2019, 11:18 AM   #135
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

That wasn't one.
Someone ought to inform the modern Nazis in the country. They'll be disappointed (which is a good thing), but it's funny how they haven't noticed up until now.
Old 31st July 2019, 11:19 AM   #136
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Strictly speaking it was the observation that over time the odds of any internet argument involving nazis approaches 1. It never says that such comparisons are always wrong.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 11:30 AM   #137
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

It's an admission that even the reactionaries and others on the right expect the left to be more moral than they are. It is the only way their argument makes sense.

But they aren't wrong. Sometimes there is value in calling evil evil, and there is value in knowing when to use softer words.

About the time they are justifying concentration camps deplorable, illegal, conditions by defending racist assumptions about American cities is probably the right time to at least be calling the tactics and actions evil.

I have a hard time justifying calling most people evil, but acts are easier. 'You are evil', even if the person believes you're right (not likely to say the least) isn't going to change their behavior because they see it as part of their identity. 'What you are doing/supporting is evil' has a better chance, because they can stop. 'Harmful' probably works better, but again, isn't as accurate right now with some of it. Maybe some modifiers...
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 11:59 AM   #138
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

While Trumpism is more like fascism than US conservatism, Kaiser Wilhelm is a better parallel than Hitler:
Originally Posted by Historian
superficial, hasty, restless, unable to relax, without any deeper level of seriousness, without any desire for hard work or drive to see things through to the end, without any sense of sobriety, for balance and boundaries, or even for reality and real problems, uncontrollable and scarcely capable of learning from experience, desperate for applause and success ... unsure and arrogant, with an immeasurably exaggerated self-confidence and desire to show off
Old 31st July 2019, 12:13 PM   #139
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Someone ought to inform the modern Nazis in the country. They'll be disappointed (which is a good thing), but it's funny how they haven't noticed up until now.
https://babylonbee.com/news/infograp...i-from-antifa/
Third row.
Old 31st July 2019, 12:28 PM   #140
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Well, at least we can agree that Trump appeals to modern Nazis.
Old 31st July 2019, 12:31 PM   #141
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Taking your cue from Nazis may not be the look you were going for.

Speaking of telling things to modern Nazis: Have you ever seen one of them make a legitimate comparison along these lines? If so who was it, and what was the comparison?

Have you ever made such a comparison yourself, that you considered legitimate, without appealing to the authority of "modern Nazis" to validate your work? If so, what was the comparison, and why haven't you already presented it here?
Old 31st July 2019, 12:47 PM   #142
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Well, at least we can agree that Trump appeals to modern Nazis.
Sure. Just like Obama appealed to modern communists. It doesn't make Trump any more of a Nazi than Obama was a communist, though.
Old 31st July 2019, 12:50 PM   #143
Venom
Master Poster

I can't think of any communists who actually liked Obama.

We know that many neo-Nazi groups admire Trump.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 01:12 PM   #144
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Namely, they see some political faction rise to power 1) that did not do so based on majority support, and 2) that seeks to cause harm, not only to those that are being targeted, but to society as a whole.

This is not just a case where the Republicans won a fair election battle and the Liberals are upset that they couldn't get a majority of people to like them.

Trump got into power in part because of the support of a foreign government (and still lost the popular vote). Yet that same political party is engaging in activities that will increase the tax burden on many/most middle and lower class people, take away heath care from millions, harmed various minorities, and turned the U.S. into a laughing stock.

The liberals certainly have valid reasons to be upset.

(And I say this not as some sort of left-winger myself. I'm Canadian, and regularly vote for our right-of-center Conservative party.)
True, but what is sad is that the Democrats seem to be on the verge of handing Trump relection on a Silver Platter if last night's debate is an indicator.
Ryan was right, a "Medicare for all" platform that will take away people's current coverage is political suicide.
I wonder if both parties have not been infected with stupidity. Sadly, the Dems seem to be on verge of being taken over by their won version of the Tea Party....hard line ideologue for whom compromise is a dirty word and who hath a scathing hatred for moderates and centrists.
Danger is not so much moderates will vote for Trump but they will just stay home .

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 31st July 2019 at 01:15 PM.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 01:14 PM   #145
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
True, but what is sad is that the Democrats seem to be on the verge of handing Trump relection on a Silver Platter if last night's debate is an indicator.
Ryan was right, a "Medicare for all" platform that will take away people's current coverage is political suicide.
And it spits on the dead that republican governors sacrificed to fight off Obamacare. Did those 15,000 Americans die for nothing!

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...ion-obamacare/

They are the brave human sacrifices of our country to fight off this vicious socialism and keep the true gods of capitalism sated.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 01:32 PM   #146
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Sure. Just like Obama appealed to modern communists. It doesn't make Trump any more of a Nazi than Obama was a communist, though.
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Yeah, me either. I'd ask Zig where he got that notion, but... you know.

We know that many neo-Nazi groups admire Trump.
Also, white nationalists and Russians.
Old 31st July 2019, 01:39 PM   #147
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

If Obama had retweeted communists as many times as Trump has retweeted white supremacists, I doubt Zig and his fellow travelers would be this unconcerned.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 01:47 PM   #148
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Taking your cue from Nazis may not be the look you were going for.
....what cue am I taking from Nazis?

Do you mean where I reference Nazis comparing Trump to Nazis albeit in, to them, a favorable way?

Speaking of telling things to modern Nazis: Have you ever seen one of them make a legitimate comparison along these lines? If so who was it, and what was the comparison?
I mean, have you already forgotten about the very fine people at Charlottesville?

Also, Alt-Right Gathering Exults in Trump Election With Nazi-Era Salute
Quote:
But now his tone changed as he began to tell the audience of more than 200 people, mostly young men, what they had been waiting to hear. He railed against Jews and, with a smile, quoted Nazi propaganda in the original German. America, he said, belonged to white people, whom he called the “children of the sun,” a race of conquerors and creators who had been marginalized but now, in the era of President-elect Donald J. Trump, were “awakening to their own identity.”

As he finished, several audience members had their arms outstretched in a Nazi salute. Mr. Spencer called out: “Hail Trump! Hail our people!” and then, “Hail victory!” — the English translation of the Nazi exhortation “Sieg Heil!” The room shouted back.
eta:

Neo-Nazis celebrate Trump ‘s---hole’ comment: He’s ‘on the same page as us’
Quote:
The Daily Stormer, the largest neo-Nazi website online, welcomed Trump's reported remark, saying it was evidence he was "more or less on the same page with us."

“This is encouraging and refreshing, as it indicates Trump is more or less on the same page as us with regards to race and immigration,” the site said.

Last edited by Upchurch; 31st July 2019 at 02:30 PM.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 02:36 PM   #149
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Many ended up disappointed, but early on the CPUSA publicly endorsed him. For example:

http://web.archive.org/web/200710311...view/858/1/39/
"Our Party actively supported Obama during the [2004 Senate] primary election."
Old 31st July 2019, 02:47 PM   #150
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

....what cue am I taking from Nazis?

Do you mean where I reference Nazis comparing Trump to Nazis albeit in, to them, a favorable way?

I mean, have you already forgotten about the very fine people at Charlottesville?

Also, Alt-Right Gathering Exults in Trump Election With Nazi-Era Salute
eta:

Neo-Nazis celebrate Trump ‘s---hole’ comment: He’s ‘on the same page as us’
The subject was legitimate comparisons to Nazis.

You cited Nazis as having made such comparisons. Again, I'm not sure taking your cue from Nazis is the look you were going for.

I'm also still waiting for an example of an actual legitimate comparison, from any source. Nazi celebrations with vague references to possible points of agreement don't really suffice.

The ideal would be a comparison you have made yourself, between some uniquely or quintessentially Nazi characteristic, and some uniquely or quintessentially Trumpian characteristic. Backed up by evidence your own reasoning, of course.

I'd settle for a comparison made by modern Nazis, as long as your own reasoning for why it's legitimate is included along with it.

And to be clear: I understand the question to be one of legitimate comparison between Trump and the leaders or policies of the original National Socialist party that emerged in Germany in the 1930s and rose to power there under Adolf Hitler.

We can look at comparisons to modern Nazis (or "nazis") as well, but I'd like to get some closure on this point first. If you have no legitimate comparisons between Trump and the NSDAP to offer, just say so and we'll move on.
Old 31st July 2019, 02:52 PM   #151
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

The subject was legitimate comparisons to Nazis.

You cited Nazis as having made such comparisons. Again, I'm not sure taking your cue from Nazis is the look you were going for.
You don't think Nazis saying "This guy is just like us" isn't a legitimate comparison to Nazis?

Oh, goalposts, we hardly knew ye.
Old 31st July 2019, 02:56 PM   #152
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I mean, the whole thing ends up looking pretty circular:

"We know Trump is a Nazi because of all the Nazi stuff he does!"

"None of the stuff he's doing seems particularly Nazi."

"Yeah, but we know it's Nazi stuff because of how Nazi he is!"

"How do you know how Nazi he is?"

"Because of all the Nazi stuff he does!"

"That sounds pretty circular. What else do you have?"

"Nazis like him!"

"Nazis in America have been out in the cold for pretty much ever. You think maybe this is an any-port-in-a-storm type situation for them?"

"No! Trump is obviously a Nazi! Just look at all the Nazi stuff he does!"

"Uh..."

"Concentration camps!"

"They're not really concentration camps."

"Shut up, Nazi! Just because they're not Nazi death camps that doesn't mean they're not concentration camps."

"So... Not really a Nazi thing then? Wait - did you just call me a Nazi?"

"You're eeevil!"
Old 31st July 2019, 03:06 PM   #153
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You don't think Nazis saying "This guy is just like us" isn't a legitimate comparison to Nazis?
Not really no. I'd want to see the actual characteristics being compared, and the reasoning for why the comparison is legitimate.

Some asshat unilaterally declaring "this guy is just like us" without explaining how or why he thinks it's true, doesn't impress me. It shouldn't impress you, either.

Quote:
Oh, goalposts, we hardly knew ye.
The sad refrain of every field goal kicker who didn't make the cut.

You seem confident that there's legitimate comparisons between Trump and Nazis, but you can't come up with any.
Old 31st July 2019, 03:41 PM   #154
applecorped
Suspended

applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 04:52 PM   #155
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Not really no. I'd want to see the actual characteristics being compared, and the reasoning for why the comparison is legitimate.

Some asshat unilaterally declaring "this guy is just like us" without explaining how or why he thinks it's true, doesn't impress me. It shouldn't impress you, either.

The sad refrain of every field goal kicker who didn't make the cut.

You seem confident that there's legitimate comparisons between Trump and Nazis, but you can't come up with any.
Oh, I could come up with legitimate comparisons. I could draw the comparison of a populist leader targeting an ethnic minority as the cause of the nation's problems, for whom only the populist leader can solve the problem. I could draw the comparison of how the populist leader dehumanizes said ethnic minority to the point where separating children from parents is acceptable. I could draw the comparison of putting said ethnic minority into concentration camps (or do you prefer the more PC "internment camps"). I could draw the comparison of the populist leader demanding loyalty, not to the country, but to the populist leader himself. I could draw the comparison to how the populist leader handles negative stories by portraying the press as enemies of the people.

I could do any of that, but you have set yourself up as arbiter of legitimacy. You merely have to move the goalposts by saying that the comparison isn't legitimate because Hitler used the phrase "lying press" rather than "fake news". Worse, he actually used the phrase "LŁgenpresse", which is totally different, amirite?

So, yes, I can come up with legitimate historical and contemporary comparisons, but it will never pass the bar of your confirmation biases.
Old 31st July 2019, 04:57 PM   #156
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Calling liberals "sore losers" on the other hand, is certainly giving them an appellation well-earned.
Ouch! "Hillary Clinton is a sore loser!" Boy that'll sting. Now that we know that "Ronald Reagan was a racist" (not that some of us weren't aware of it), which do you think has a more telling effect?

Boy, you sure got a good one in there, Brainster. That'll cover for about eleven seconds of Trump-Miller racial bigotry and two seconds of his next rally for the flaming ********* who back his program.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 05:37 PM   #157
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Which modern communists were those? This is just nonsense right wing rhetoric. I actually know communists (of various stripes). Not a one of them said, "Oh, we like those corporatist policies of this Obama, fellow. Pretty soon we'll be collectivizing the lint farms in Georgia!"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 05:41 PM   #158
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Strictly speaking, the MA prohibits making a thread like this about another member here.
That's the "editorial you", the royal you if you will, the second person plural. But you knew that. (That's the first person singular variation.)

This is about conservatives who have their heads so far up their asses that they cannot and will not identify the bigoted scum in the Republican Party and will continue to make excuses not just for the misanthropic administration but for the bigoted baggage that clutters up your conservative hallway.

Old 31st July 2019, 05:56 PM   #159
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
<snip>
tl;dr - "you're eeevil!"
Old 31st July 2019, 06:16 PM   #160
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Many ended up disappointed, but early on the CPUSA publicly endorsed him. For example:

http://web.archive.org/web/200710311...view/858/1/39/
"Our Party actively supported Obama during the [2004 Senate] primary election."
Thatís a long speech with only brief mention of Obama. It appears that the they supported him, not because his policies were particularly communist, but because of his support of trade unions and his ability to pull together a large diverse voting block.

Whereas the Nazis support Trump because his racist policies sync with their own.

So, thanks for that.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics