ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Elijah Cummings , racism charges , racism issues

Old 10th August 2019, 11:43 AM   #201
tanabear
Critical Thinker

Democratic candidates mark the 5th anniversary of Ferguson

Kamala Harris: Michael Brown’s murder forever changed Ferguson and America. His tragic death sparked a desperately needed conversation and a nationwide movement. We must fight for stronger accountability and racial equity in our justice system.

Elizabeth Warren: 5 years ago Michael Brown was murdered by a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri. Michael was unarmed yet he was shot 6 times. I stand with activists and organizers who continue the fight for justice for Michael. We must confront systemic racism and police violence head on.

Kirsten Gillibrand: 5 years ago, a Ferguson police officer killed Michael Brown, an unarmed teenager.

He shot him 6 times.

Nothing will bring Michael back, but we can't stop fighting the injustice done to his family and so many others—and until we do better, we're failing them

The "Hands up, don't shoot" slogan became the rallying cry of the Black Lives Matter movement. The fact that it wasn't true doesn't seem to matter. Neither does the fact the Black Lives Matter effect caused a huge spike in the murder rate in these cities. And you won't hear any of these candidates mention the DOJ report on the incident.

This nationwide movement is known as Late Obama Age Collapse.

Undesired Walrus: "Why, Ron, Mark mentioned this on your very own show!"
tanabear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 12:06 PM   #202
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Most sociologists and political scientists blame the loss of blue-collar jobs, a trend that accelerated in the 1960s, for the ills in many cities. Most of these cities have been ruled by Democratic administrations for decades. That poverty is a better predictor of behavior than race.

I presume the winger 'answer' is strict racial separation. That's where all this is both coming from and headed to.
There's also the effect that people who do get good jobs often move to the suburbs, reducing the tax base to pay for services. I've seen it called "white flight" but it should be called middle class flight, because of course anyone who can afford it will want to move out. The slums that FOX showed are the end result of slavery, Reconstruction, Jim Crow, and continued employment and housing discrimination to this day, but FOX and Trump apparently want Cummings to go back and tell those still stuck there to stop being poor.

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 10th August 2019 at 12:08 PM.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 12:11 PM   #203
Cavemonster
Philosopher

One thing I don't find people remark on enough.

Trump and the GOP keep attacking US congress members based on criticisms of where they come from.

US congress members don't set the policy of the districts they represent. Their job is to represent the interests of their district in federal lawmaking. The idea that it is a reflection on them, or their specific duty to change conditions in their district is a bizarre and probably willful misrepresentation of how elected government actually works in the US.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 12:15 PM   #204
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
There's also the effect that people who do get good jobs often move to the suburbs, reducing the tax base to pay for services. I've seen it called "white flight" but it should be called middle class flight, because of course anyone who can afford it will want to move out. The slums that FOX showed are the end result of slavery, Reconstruction, Jim Crow, and continued employment and housing discrimination to this day, but FOX and Trump apparently want Cummings to go back and tell those still stuck there to stop being poor.
But But.. Black people bad! Late Obama Age Collapse! A racist said so!

[/s]

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 12:34 PM   #205
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by tanabear View Post

No, it isn't.
This is just another attempt at branding something for political purposes.
Old 10th August 2019, 03:11 PM   #206
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
No

And I noted it was a euphemism for blacks. Since you don't have the courage to say the N word you used sophistry to express racial animus against the people who commit the majority of murders in the US.
Still flailng I see!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2019, 03:39 PM   #207
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I read a very interesting book -- "Metropolitan transportation politics and the New York region," by Jameson Doig (obviously not a political treatise) -- that included a very illuminating study of one of the problems effecting Newark NJ in the late 1950s and on into the 1960s. The book was published in 1966. It defined the double-edged sword dilemma.

In the years after WWII, middle-class America began to buy cars and move to the suburbs. Newark was still a major source of employment, especially blue-collar employment in manufacturing, distribution and warehousing, but that began to change too. City streets were often traffic congested, parking at facilities in the city were often inadequate for a work force that was switching from mass transit to private cars. Companies began to leave Newark for suburban locations.

The problem was, most of the rank-and-file work force could not move with them. They didn't make enough money to be able to afford suburban rents. Many of the suburban towns used zoning to make it impossible. Houses were required to have a large lot size. Apartments, where they were allowed at all, were restricted in size. Three and four bedroom apartments were not allowed. Black workers had even less opportunities to move since suburban landlords practiced racial discrimination. Thus the work force commuted to the suburbs but mostly continued to live in Newark. The City of Newark had to educate their kids, provide garbage pickup, street cleaning, police, fire and emergency medical services, any and all social services needed. But the tax base needed to pay for these things -- property taxes, not income taxes -- was shrinking. It was a dilemma a city like Newark could not control, much less resolve. In order to survive, Newark was forced to cut services, and gradually Newark became a less attractive place to live. Even working class families began to move, to adjacent cities and towns. There were people in Newark who liked Newark and stayed put, but the percentage of residents who were under the poverty line increased. And these were precisely the residents who often needed the most city services. It was a deadly spiral that has only begun to be resolved over the past twenty years.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 04:43 AM   #208
wareyin
Philosopher

False. Blacks comprise roughly 13% of the US population and account for some 52% of all homicides.
Nonsense. According to the FBI, out of 17,251 murders committed in 2017 (the most recent data I could find), 37% were committed by black people.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 06:42 AM   #209
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
One thing I don't find people remark on enough.

Trump and the GOP keep attacking US congress members based on criticisms of where they come from.

US congress members don't set the policy of the districts they represent. Their job is to represent the interests of their district in federal lawmaking. The idea that it is a reflection on them, or their specific duty to change conditions in their district is a bizarre and probably willful misrepresentation of how elected government actually works in the US.
Or as others have said the retort is " it's your district as well Mr President, sort it out"
Old 11th August 2019, 06:57 AM   #210
Mumbles
Philosopher

Most sociologists and political scientists blame the loss of blue-collar jobs, a trend that accelerated in the 1960s, for the ills in many cities. Most of these cities have been ruled by Democratic administrations for decades. That poverty is a better predictor of behavior than race.

I presume the winger 'answer' is strict racial separation. That's where all this is both coming from and headed to.
The simple fact that Baltimore the city is a separate political entity from Baltimore County doesn't help, either. Not only does industry just outside the city (and trust, there's a *lot* of economic activity that people commute out of the city to participate in, hello defense contractors!) not help the city's coffers at all, but it also means that people from outside the city that want to evade paying disposal fees often use the poorer neighborhoods as a dumping ground, leaving the city to pay for waste (and this includes biohazards, heavy metals, and the like) from *outside* the city, with none of the taxes or revenues generated by creating this waste.

Last edited by Mumbles; 11th August 2019 at 06:59 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 07:12 AM   #211
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
The simple fact that Baltimore the city is a separate political entity from Baltimore County doesn't help, either. Not only does industry just outside the city (and trust, there's a *lot* of economic activity that people commute out of the city to participate in, hello defense contractors!) not help the city's coffers at all, but it also means that people from outside the city that want to evade paying disposal fees often use the poorer neighborhoods as a dumping ground, leaving the city to pay for waste (and this includes biohazards, heavy metals, and the like) from *outside* the city, with none of the taxes or revenues generated by creating this waste.
Its not just toxic waste, either. Suburbs and rural areas just luuuve to dump their criminals and mentally ill on the big city they hate so much. Greyhound therapy was started when local sheriffs would drive a mentally ill person to the edge of the city and tell them to walk one way (into the city) but they better not walk the other.

They also put their mandated halfway houses and similar places in the city if they can pull it off. Since they don't have to deal with the consequences of the people living there or how they are run they are often the worst such facilities in town. Bucks county was running some horrid halfway houses in West Philadelphia before the city said it had had enough.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 07:16 AM   #212
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I recently read a news article (not the same as the one I'm quoting below) that described the murder rate in Chicago as varying dramatically from neighborhood to neighborhood. That it was not a "city wide" problem, but one that existed in neighborhoods racked by poverty, drugs and street gangs. Below are quotes from a New Republic article by Daniel Kay Hertz, a Chicago resident, written in 2014. The situation, the reality, is still pretty much the same today:

Quote:
Despite living in a city where homicides are so common that they've attracted international media attention, my neighbors and I expect them to intrude on our sense of personal safety about as much as if we lived in, say, Seattle. Coverage of Chicago's lethal crime tends to downplay, or leave out entirely, the fact that the number of homicides here has plummeted since the early 1990s, from a rate of over 30 per 100,000 residents to about 15.

But Chicago's crime was never distributed evenly across the city, and the decline hasn't been, either. In and around downtown, and on the North Side, neighborhoods with moderate numbers of homicides became some of the safest urban areas in the country. A million people in Chicago, the global poster child for first-world urban violence, now live in neighborhoods that together have the same homicide rate as New York City, the “safest big city in America.”

Meanwhile, much of the rest of Chicago has seen much more modest declines, or stagnation. In the case of two police districts on the South Side, the homicide problem has actually gotten worse. In the early 1990s, the most dangerous third of the city saw about six times more murders than the safest third. Over the last several years, the most dangerous third has seen between twelve and 16 times more homicides. Link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 08:00 AM   #213
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Do I agree that New Orleans at the time was run by incompetent black politicians and the response to Hurricane Katrina was a disaster? Absolutely. Do I agree that it applies to all blacks at all times? Not necessarily.
I’m asking if you agree with this specific argument:
Originally Posted by Steve Sailer
What you won't hear, except from me, is that "Let the good times roll" is an especially risky message for African-Americans. The plain fact is that they tend to possess poorer native judgment than members of better-educated groups. Thus they need stricter moral guidance from society.

For someone claiming to be interested in honest debate, you seem to be working very hard to dodge the issue.

Last edited by johnny karate; 11th August 2019 at 08:03 AM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 08:02 AM   #214
johnny karate

I already went over this, keep up please.
I must be a little slow on the uptake.

Please lay out the rock-solid reasoning behind your brilliant argument.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 08:34 AM   #215
johnny karate

What you describe as "white supremacy" is really just whites who believe in law and order and don't wish to see their communities torn apart by crime and other forms of social dysfunction.
White people, demonstrating their respect for law and order:

Bundy Standoff

The Conservative Media Who Brought You Cliven Bundy

Gianforte pleads guilty to assault in incident with reporter

Trump on Gianforte: ‘Any guy who can do a body slam is my kind of guy’

Oregon state senator who threatened police faces complaint
Old 11th August 2019, 09:06 AM   #216
autumn1971
Master Poster

He assumes genetic differences along with social and cultural differences. But in certain endeavors, like running, it's hard to argue against genetics not playing a role. Look at the 100 meter sprint. Steve Sailer writes,

...none of the 8 finalists in the last 9 Olympic men's 100 meter dash going back to 1984 have been more than half non-black. So, we've had 72 blacks out of the last 72 100m dash finalists.

Do I agree that New Orleans at the time was run by incompetent black politicians and the response to Hurricane Katrina was a disaster? Absolutely. Do I agree that it applies to all blacks at all times? Not necessarily.

The modern Left believes it is immoral for politicians to appeal to the interests of whites. But in a democracy this is totally legitimate. You can appeal to every other ethnic lobby, but to appeal to white interests is "white supremacy". It is interesting that you mentioned the year 1964 as the real start of "white supremacy". A higher percentage of Republicans in Congress voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 than Democrats. Apparently, this is how the GOP started their "white supremacism" policies.

But there was another trend that started in 1964 that is in-line with the topic at hand. The murder rate in American doubled between 1964 and 1974. This huge increase in our crime rate, focused largely in American cities, has had a huge effect on our politics. What you describe as "white supremacy" is really just whites who believe in law and order and don't wish to see their communities torn apart by crime and other forms of social dysfunction.

It is interesting to note that in history it was only sieges, wars, fires and natural disasters such as floods, earthquakes and hurricanes that could destroy great cities. But in the 1960s a new possibility was added, Liberalism. Detroit was known as the "Paris of the West". Yet within a few decades it was nothing more than an urban jungle. There were many other once great American cities that suffered similar devastation. Americans who are concerned that their once great cities are being reduced to hell-holes are described as "white supremacists". The term 'white supremacy" is a way to pathologize whites when they express the same sentiments as every other people on this planet.

Baltimore, along with Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago, Camden, New Orleans, Birmingham, Memphis, Jackson, Selma etc....

False. Blacks comprise roughly 13% of the US population and account for some 52% of all homicides.
Ironically it is mostly minority workers who replant your goalposts.

And by Christ, they have to work fast!
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 09:30 AM   #217
Arcade22
Philosopher

I'm sure your racist polemics are going home well back at stormfront. They love pretentious pseudoscientific racist nonsense there.
Old 11th August 2019, 01:45 PM   #218
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I must be a little slow on the uptake.

Please lay out the rock-solid reasoning behind your brilliant argument.
Smartcooky expressed a racial animus towards the people who commit the majority of homicides in the US

Blacks commit the majority of homicides in the US

Smartcooky has a racial animus against US blacks.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 01:47 PM   #219
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Nonsense. According to the FBI, out of 17,251 murders committed in 2017 (the most recent data I could find), 37% were committed by black people.
You're confusing convictions with homicides.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 03:03 PM   #220
wareyin
Philosopher

Smartcooky doesn't have the balls to say the N-word so he uses sophistry to express racial animus towards blacks.

The absolute state of this forum.
No, smartcooky was talking about white people. You're the one who somehow reads "redneck" as about black people.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 03:58 PM   #221
Baylor
Philosopher

No, smartcooky was talking about white people. You're the one who somehow reads "redneck" as about black people.
For the fourth time, it was the racial animus he expressed at those committing the majority of homicides in the US.

From the FBI website:
"When the race of the offender was known, 54.2 percent were Black or African American, 43.1 percent were White*, and 2.6 percent were of other races. The race was unknown for 5,368 offenders"
*FBI lists Hispanic and Latinos as "white" as I explained numerous times throughout this forum.
Old 11th August 2019, 04:04 PM   #222
Baylor
Philosopher

Also the majority of murders in the US are committed by white people.
FBI says this about 2017 data:

"When the race of the offender was known, 54.2 percent were Black or African American, 43.1 percent were White, and 2.6 percent were of other races. The race was unknown for 5,368 offenders."
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...anded-homicide

This is the level of talent I'm dealing with.

Last edited by Baylor; 11th August 2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11th August 2019, 07:20 PM   #223
tanabear
Critical Thinker

There are valid inferences that can be drawn from statistics, and then there are some incredibly stupid ones. When Sailer gathers statistics and groups them by race, he's already wrong before he even attempts his first inference: Race won't tell him anything useful at all. All it does is completely conceal actual causes and effects and replace them with an overriding, completely bogus one. And that's the purpose.
It is interesting to note that Barak Obama bought a copy of the book The Sports Gene: Inside the Science of Extraordinary Athletic Performance. So maybe he is a believer in HBD(Human Biodiversity) like Steve Sailer.

Race won't tell him anything?

In every Olympics since 1980, every finalist in the 100 meters has had West African ancestry. East Africans aren't good at the sprints, but they do better at the long distance races.

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
[Citation required]
Out of curiosity, are you including Trump and Trump supporters in that group of people who "believe in law and order"?
A politician would dare not directly advocate for white interests. He knows what the response would be. When a politician just defends whites and western civilization it send the Left into an apoplectic rage. Look at the response to Steven King and the It's Okay to be White campaign.

I believe most people believe in law and order except maybe for a few Democratic mayors of certain cities.

The loss of blue-collar jobs was a gradual process. It would not explain the doubling of the murder rate in 10 years(1964 to 1974). And neither would it explain the huge rise in illegitimacy that took off at about the same time. What happened? Liberalism happened.

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I've said (or rather, I get from academics who have studied things far more than I have) before that white supremacism, in the US, is about transferring wealth from nonwhite people (and incidentally from poor white people), and giving said wealth to some white people. The classic means is by dividing people by race, by suckering poorer white people into believing that they're superior to nonwhite people - in fact, they're so inferior that they're better off if wealthy white people govern them, instead of letting them govern themselves!

(Compare to the claims made in the OP)
The transference of wealth and capital from poor to rich is known as neo-liberalism. It isn't "white supremacy." In fact, the building of the Wall and ultimately limiting 3rd world immigration would do more for poor blacks than any other government policy initiative over the past 50 years. But we can't do that because it is "racist."

No, slavery, Reconstruction, and Jim Crow had nothing to do with this. Liberals have been running the show since the 1960s. Black crime, illegitimacy, welfare usage were all a product of 1960s Liberalism.

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
No, it isn't.
This is just another attempt at branding something for political purposes.
The murder rate in America soared some 20-25% between 2014 and 2016. Baltimore experienced some of its highest per capita murder rates in the city's 280 year history. It is not called Late Obama Age Collapse because the dissident Right does not control the Megaphone, the Left does. Yet, it is a very accurate description of what happened.

From 1980 to 2008:

Blacks were disproportionately represented as both homicide victims and offenders. The victimization rate for blacks (27.8 per 100,000) was 6 times higher than the rate for whites (4.5 per 100,000). The offending rate for blacks (34.4 per 100,000) was almost 8 times higher than the rate for whites (4.5 per 100,000)

Look at Table 7. It shows that blacks are 52.5 of offenders between 1980 and 2008.

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
I'm sure your racist polemics are going home well back at stormfront. They love pretentious pseudoscientific racist nonsense there.
First I was accused of getting my ideas from Qanon, which I had never heard of. Then I get accused of being from Stormfront, a site I have never visited.

Undesired Walrus: "Why, Ron, Mark mentioned this on your very own show!"
tanabear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 09:11 PM   #224
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

It is interesting to note that Barak Obama bought a copy of the book The Sports Gene: Inside the Science of Extraordinary Athletic Performance. So maybe he is a believer in HBD(Human Biodiversity) like Steve Sailer.
No, I would assume he believes in science. Genetics is a real science; Sailer's ******** is not.

Race won't tell him anything?

In every Olympics since 1980, every finalist in the 100 meters has had West African ancestry. East Africans aren't good at the sprints, but they do better at the long distance races.
You just proved the stupidity of Sailer's analysis: West Africans are the same race as East Africans and South Africans but they all have different genetics, so race doesn't tell him anything at all useful. Yet, Sailer thinks he can lump them all together and deduce things about anyone with black skin. Race is a completely useless concept to biologists. As I said, it completely replaces actual causes and effects with a bogus one.

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 11th August 2019 at 09:15 PM.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 10:55 PM   #225
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

No, slavery, Reconstruction, and Jim Crow had nothing to do with this. Liberals have been running the show since the 1960s. Black crime, illegitimacy, welfare usage were all a product of 1960s Liberalism.
I was going to recommend reading some history, but that bit at the end gave away the game: You are the product of right-wing propaganda that has been striving since the Civil Rights movement to channel racism into anti-liberalism.
Old 12th August 2019, 01:53 AM   #226
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

A politician would dare not directly advocate for white interests.
That's an assertion, not a citation.

Quote:
Look at the response to Steven King and the It's Okay to be White campaign.
You're talking about the campaign started on the famously racist 4chan /pol/ board and spread by neo-Nazi groups? I wonder why anybody could think that perhaps the intent behind it was not entirely pure and innocent.

As for Steve King - the guy keeps saying racist things while endorsing neo-Nazis. What do you think the reaction to that should be?

Quote:
I believe most people believe in law and order except maybe for a few Democratic mayors of certain cities.
How do you square your opinion that Trump believes in law & order with, for example, his perjury, then?
Old 12th August 2019, 04:50 AM   #227
wareyin
Philosopher

For the fourth time, it was the racial animus he expressed at those committing the majority of homicides in the US.

From the FBI website:
"When the race of the offender was known, 54.2 percent were Black or African American, 43.1 percent were White*, and 2.6 percent were of other races. The race was unknown for 5,368 offenders"
*FBI lists Hispanic and Latinos as "white" as I explained numerous times throughout this forum.

"When the race of the offender was known, 54.2 percent were Black or African American, 43.1 percent were White, and 2.6 percent were of other races. The race was unknown for 5,368 offenders."

Indeed, the level of talent you are bringing to the table it a pity. Did you notice the highlited bits? Reading the rest of the table shows that roughly a third of the time, the offender is not known. You are making definitive claims about overall numbers, but don't have a third of the data needed to make such claims.
Old 12th August 2019, 09:02 AM   #228
johnny karate

Yes, the flagrant lack of respect Democratic mayors of certain cities have for law and order is shameful:

Bundy Standoff

The Conservative Media Who Brought You Cliven Bundy

Gianforte pleads guilty to assault in incident with reporter

Trump on Gianforte: ‘Any guy who can do a body slam is my kind of guy’

Oregon state senator who threatened police faces complaint[/quote]

Quote:
First I was accused of getting my ideas from Qanon, which I had never heard of. Then I get accused of being from Stormfront, a site I have never visited.

You may not visit Stormfront, but your interests align with those who do.
Old 12th August 2019, 09:40 AM   #229
Baylor
Philosopher

Indeed, the level of talent you are bringing to the table it a pity. Did you notice the highlited bits? Reading the rest of the table shows that roughly a third of the time, the offender is not known.
Most unsolved homicide cases involve black victims. Whites murder about 200 blacks each year. You're claiming whites murder thousands of blacks every year and get away with it. I would ask if you're serious but knowing this place, you probably are.
You are making definitive claims about overall numbers, but don't have a third of the data needed to make such claims.
Dude, you just did the very thing you're criticizing me for.

Also the majority of murders in the US are committed by white people.
Did you notice the highlited bit?
Old 12th August 2019, 10:44 AM   #230
wareyin
Philosopher

Most unsolved homicide cases involve black victims.
And your evidence for this?

Whites murder about 200 blacks each year. You're claiming whites murder thousands of blacks every year and get away with it. I would ask if you're serious but knowing this place, you probably are.
You would ask if I'm serious about the claim you just made up?

Dude, you just did the very thing you're criticizing me for.

Did you notice the highlited bit?
Yep, I made a mistake.

See how easy it is to admit error? You should try that sometime.
Old 12th August 2019, 11:14 AM   #231
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

But what's your point? What's your justification for grouping by race? What would you have us conclude from that statistic? I don't think you want people guessing your answers.
Old 12th August 2019, 11:20 AM   #232
carlitos
"más divertido"

What's your justification for grouping by race?
I have an idea.

Quote:
Give a small boy a hammer, and he will find that everything he encounters needs pounding.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 05:45 PM   #233
Baylor
Philosopher

But what's your point? What's your justification for grouping by race? What would you have us conclude from that statistic? I don't think you want people guessing your answers.
What kind of desperate crap is this now? What conclusions are we to draw? How about blacks commit 54% of murders in the US. Why group by race? To draw inferences about race. There's a thread on the front page right now grouping school shooters by race. Now go ask these stupid questions in that thread.
Old 12th August 2019, 08:43 PM   #234
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

What kind of desperate crap is this now? What conclusions are we to draw? How about blacks commit 54% of murders in the US. Why group by race? To draw inferences about race. There's a thread on the front page right now grouping school shooters by race. Now go ask these stupid questions in that thread.
Unsurprisingly, it appears that you haven't given those questions any real thought. You seemed to think this was an important number, for some reason, and now you can't tell us what it is? If the only inference you draw from the number is the number itself, that's pretty much agreeing with me that it doesn't mean anything. What fascinating insight do you think you would get if you grouped by eye color?
Old 12th August 2019, 08:55 PM   #235
Baylor
Philosopher

Unsurprisingly, it appears that you haven't given those questions any real thought. You seemed to think this was an important number, for some reason, and now you can't tell us what it is? If the only inference you draw from the number is the number itself, that's pretty much agreeing with me that it doesn't mean anything. What fascinating insight do you think you would get if you grouped by eye color?
Unsurprisingly, you feel compelled to get the last word. I have clearly laid out my argument several times in this thread and why the black homicide rate is pertinent. I don't know if you're unable to comprehend, or if you're playing stupid, or think you found a "gotcha." Don't care either.
Old 12th August 2019, 09:08 PM   #236
mgidm86
Philosopher

You see, people here have already decided you're a big bad racist so whatever you say is racist.

I agree the post you're responding too is laughably/laughingly? hypocritical. This place is a laugh a minute.
Old 12th August 2019, 09:09 PM   #237
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Unsurprisingly, you feel compelled to get the last word. I have clearly laid out my argument several times in this thread and why the black homicide rate is pertinent. I don't know if you're unable to comprehend, or if you're playing stupid, or think you found a "gotcha." Don't care either.
No, you haven't. I asked you for the justification for grouping by race, and instead you gave me your reason for grouping by race: "To draw inferences about race." We knew that, but the question remains -- why? -- and you're just begging the question. If I just assume that eye color has something to do with murder rates, what do I learn by grouping the statistics that way?
Old 12th August 2019, 09:34 PM   #238
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
You see, people here have already decided you're a big bad racist so whatever you say is racist.

I agree the post you're responding too is laughably/laughingly? hypocritical. This place is a laugh a minute.
Feel free to help Baylor out here. What does his 54% number mean? I'm giving Baylor every opportunity to give a non-racist explanation. If you haven't examined the "logic" of racism, perhaps it's time.
Old 13th August 2019, 12:32 AM   #239
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Do you recognize a fellow traveller in Baylor? The rest of us can see it too.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 09:27 AM   #240
johnny karate

It should be noted that this complaint is being lodged in a thread that opened by citing an argument from a literal white supremacist.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics